• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13 E3 2013 Gameplay Demo

This game gives me such weird feelings. Part of me thinks it looks interesting and could very well be a lot of fun. Other times, it just looks... really bad. I'm hoping that is due to the fact that the game is still in development, but we'll see at launch, I guess. Despite my mixed feelings, gonna get it Day 1 probably. If they would remove the Majora's Mask time limit aspect to it, my hype would probably increase tenfold.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
After he "why can't companies stop with the CG trailers!?" Thread from last night, seeing everyone complain about this in-gameplay trailer is kind of funny.

I appreciate the effort, really. Music sounds as catchy as anything in XIII and XIII-2, it's nice to hear some English VA work already, and the area she's in looks pretty solidly different from most of what we've seen in the XIII series so far.

I enjoyed XIII-2, and am pretty set to see this series to the end. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but knowing it's so far away, I'm happy to see it progress bit by bit, until we're close to the release date. At that point, things like missing shadows and damage numbers might freak me out. But for now... nope.

I know these games are more open, but it really is strange seeing Final fantasy games benjamin button it over the gen.

You'd think engine improvements would at least keep the graphics at par with 13 at the very least o_O

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So I haven't played FF since 7. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the titles since then? I see Lightning Returns for 13, so I guess this is a sequel to 12? But then there is that FF Versus game also. Neither of them look like what I remember from 7 with spells and summons and stuff. Where should I jump back in?

None of the mainline FF games have anything to do with one another for the most part, and several (IV, V, VII, X, XI, XII, XIII) are effectively their own franchises with multiple works set in the same universe. Lightning Returns is effectively FF XIII-3. None of the XIII games have anything to do with XII. XII is most closely tied to the FF Tactics games.

VIII - set in a technological world, a strange mix of current, near-future, and fantasy technology
IX - homage to "classic" 8 and 16-bit FF...slightly steampunkish medieval fantasy
X - Asian/aquatic themed fantasy world, is technically canonically a distant prequel to VII (but really has next to nothing to do with it and doesn't even take place on the same planet)
XI - high medieval fantasy, MMORPG
XII - Ivalice, slightly Mediterranean themed medieval fantasy with sci-fi elements
XIII - Sci-fi fantasy
XIV - see FF XI

Persona86

Banned
This game gives me such weird feelings. Part of me thinks it looks interesting and could very well be a lot of fun. Other times, it just looks... really bad. I'm hoping that is due to the fact that the game is still in development, but we'll see at launch, I guess. Despite my mixed feelings, gonna get it Day 1 probably. If they would remove the Majora's Mask time limit aspect to it, my hype would probably increase tenfold.
Yeah this game is the definition of Bittersweet.

I know these games are more open, but it really is strange seeing Final fantasy games benjamin button it over the gen.

You'd think engine improvements would at least keep the graphics at par with 13 at the very least o_O

Rush job.

Pooya

It's a video....of a demo. How exciting should it be?

showing footage of random jumping and running around with quick cuts of battle where you can't really see how it plays poorly edited together, it's not even trying. Videos like this are advertisements like it or not and this one I don't think it's doing a good job of conveying anything to be excited about. You can find exciting looking footage of some bad games out there even, this one doesn't even try. Like it was said the focus of the game is open world, time changing and etc right? the game is out in 5 months, why show these bad platforming instead of those things?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who's Lumina?

LuuKyK

Who's Lumina?

242575-lum.jpg

HeelPower

looks excellent.Loved the environments and the look of the battles.Too bad its so far from release.Definitely a step up from XIII-2.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't a fan of the art direction of FFXIII from the beginning, but it got more and more bloated over the course of these games. I think it's straight up ugly now, especially the enemy designs. The barren environments with the flat, boring lighting are a weird contrast to this.

The framerate could be better and it's weird there are no shadows, but I really dig the art direction and music. Gameplay looks fun too. I was always going to be there day one but this game keeps looking better with each new video.

Dali

If only there was a party and this didn't involve anything relating to FFXIII this could have been a proper FF.

Vexxan

Doesn't look very good but I'm still certain I will buy this. Here's to hoping they pull off another great soundtrack, the best part about XIII and XIII-2 was definitely the music. I'd like to see a proper gameplay video with UI and everything, not just these 3 second clips of Lightning hitting random enemies.

Famassu

I wasn't a fan of the art direction of FFXIII from the beginning, but it got more and more bloated over the course of these games. I think it's straight up ugly now, especially the enemy designs. The barren environments with the flat, boring lighting are a weird contrast to this.
There's a lot to complain about FFXIII saga's art designs (especially characters), but the enemy designs are not one of them. Some of the best in the biz, especially that dragon-looking thing near the end of the trailer.

None of the mainline FF games have anything to do with one another for the most part, and several (IV, V, VII, X, XI, XII, XIII) are effectively their own franchises with multiple works set in the same universe. Lightning Returns is effectively FF XIII-3. None of the XIII games have anything to do with XII. XII is most closely tied to the FF Tactics games.

VIII - set in a technological world, a strange mix of current, near-future, and fantasy technology
IX - homage to "classic" 8 and 16-bit FF...slightly steampunkish medieval fantasy
X - Asian/aquatic themed fantasy world, is technically canonically a distant prequel to VII (but really has next to nothing to do with it and doesn't even take place on the same planet)
XII - Ivalice, slightly Mediterranean themed medieval fantasy with sci-fi elements
XIII - Sci-fi fantasy
XIV - see FF XI

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Not really interested in the MMORPG's, so other that that, do any of the others have similar game play mechanics to VII? What I enjoyed the most was the hunting for those little balls and upgrading my stuffs.

Shinta

Banned
Oh I know what she looks like, but who is she in the story and why does she look exactly like Serah?

We can only speculate really. But Serah and Yeul are the only two seers known
and if Yeul is anything to go by, they reincarnate when they die. But no one knows what that means now that Etro's gate is open, as that was supposed to end the cycle of reincarnation and free Yeul from her "prison."

I'm sure it'll be a mystery until the game is released.

Oh I know what she looks like, but who is she in the story and why does she look exactly like Serah?

Toriyama is copying Sailor Moon again. She's Hope and Lightning daughter from the future who is used by chaos to eliminate Lightning.

I'll die of laughter if I'm right

Famassu

and if Yeul is anything to go by, they reincarnate when they die. But no one knows what that means now that Etro's gate is open, as that was supposed to end the cycle of reincarnation and free Yeul from her "prison."

Seems to be a theme in this game where characters who were good or at least not aggressive against Lightning are, for some reason or the other, now enemies of her (Noel, Snow and now Yeul/Serah reincarnate)

Shinta

Banned
Seems to be a theme in this game where characters who were good or at least not aggressive against Lightning are, for some reason or the other, now enemies of her (Noel, Snow and now Yeul/Serah reincarnate)

For sure, but I don't think Lumina is part of the same phenomenon. Lumina seems like something else. I guess we'll find out soon.

I think the story concept is really interesting considering the events and relationships in the first two games and the art/atmosphere/music seems terrific.

That being said, I have no faith at all that they can actually drive it home and write the story to where it feels like playing the three games was worth it. If they could just make the story and conclusion surprising or even poignant, that'd be awesome, but again I have no reason to believe this will happen.

neither

Do you think Lumina will be the antagonist of the game?
She did summon a dragon type monster to fight Lightning,
so I think she is.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot to complain about FFXIII saga's art designs (especially characters), but the enemy designs are not one of them. Some of the best in the biz, especially that dragon-looking thing near the end of the trailer.
neuebitmap23pyax.png

I dunno, way to busy for my taste. The enemies have taken the same route the character designs have. I really liked some of them in the first game.

I have to agree that dragon thing is a beauty compared to this ugly mess though:
neuebitmap3f0kck.png

And he looked kinda cool during "materializing".

Shinta

Banned
Do you think Lumina will be the antagonist of the game?
She did summon a dragon type monster to fight Lightning,
so I think she is.

I'm totally just guessing, but I don't think that's her role. She seems more like a dangerous trickster who can't decide if Lightning is someone she wants to ally herself with or oppose. I could see her playing both roles at various parts in the story.

Definitely looked better than the youtube version for me. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhhh I thought the delay was worldwide,oh well still enough time to add those shadows under her....***rolls eyes*** :p

There's no delay. Japan is getting this in Nov this year.

EDIT: Late

chupon

XIII - Sci-fi fantasy
XIV - see FF XI

Just thought I'd add this because I liked it when I noticed it in the game and it doesn't seem that well known.

There are some very vague very brief references that suggest FFX exists in the same timeline as FFVII. The connection comes from comments made by Shinra in FFX-2 about the Farplane. His name is similar to the Shina power company and the Farplane is very similar to Mako energy.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_(Final_Fantasy_X-2)#Connection_to_Final_Fantasy_VII

Top Bottom