• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Incidentally, I'm remembering that the more action-oriented approach is what I was hoping they'd do with 13-2. Better late than never, I suppose.

This sounds like ideas that could have gone into making an interesting new IP ...

Yeah, I would have prefered that to be honest...but its close...they are dropping everything but lightning world wise (well almost). She hasn't been developed as a particularly interesting character, but her design is a good one, and at least she is pretty self sufficient and together...better than if they made Hope the main character at least

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
A lot of people did though.

This a new IP in the end. Why people complains? Yes there's Lightning ok... but what else is familiar to you? The world is completely new, so the gameplay mechanics, concepts, ideas ecc.
Ties with the precedent two games will probably be kept to minimum.

Also stealth-game's actions for Lightning? Lol. They're trying hard to make a jRPG look modern finally :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who cares? More or less everyone. People are losing their shit over next to no information, plenty seem to have missed they arent showing it because its alpha footage. If they had shown it all they would have got was people whinging that it looked shite, with the fact it was alpha footage lost in the shitstorm. People complaining about lack of footage is always going to be a smaller percentage than people put off the game because their first impression was shitty alpha footage.
But I only care about how the games play. :(

Maaan... if only people didn't care about the superficial stuff so much. Heh.

TheBaronOfNA said:
More Lighting. Can we call her Poochie now?
That name belongs to Shadow the Hedgehog, Takashi Iizuka's favourite character, sorry.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This a new IP in the end. Why people complains? Yes there's Lightning ok... but what else is familiar to you? The world is completely new, so the gameplay mechanics, concepts, ideas ecc.

Also stealth-game's actions for Lightning? Lol. They're trying hard to make a jRPG look modern finally :D

FFVII technically had stealth.

I wish. Type-0 is looking iffy and I'm guessing Bravely Default, if it is gonna be localized, would only be announced for the west after the Japanese version is already out. Or maybe it'll be like the 4WoL situation, but I don't really remember what that one was like.

Well SE has been getting better at releasing their games in the west close to their Japanese release dates. I think Duodecim was out in NA a month after the Japanese release. So, if they were going to announce a release date for BD PAX would make the most sense to announce it at. And the 3DS is a healthy platform now.

Im still sore about Type-0 though. :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Wut?

Lyonaz

I just watched that 37 min presentation video.

I like it. Hoping it's an action RPG and not turn-based. The new enemy design are all human size, so that would fit as normal action rpg mobs.

Also lol at not unveiling the oil-painting at the end.

StuBurns

Banned
A lot of people asked for THIS game? With this short of a cycle? I think a lot of people asked for a sequel to XIII-2 but not THIS particular game.
An open world Action-RPG featuring Lightning? Yes, lots of people asked for it. In fact, a lot of people thought FFXIII-2 was going to be that.

Pooya

FFXIII had a section too whuch was supposed to stealth lol, when you arrive in Palumpolum with Hope. it's not really stealth, it's just lie like following the light in Gapra Whitewood. the game was really unfinished...

LuuKyK

FFXIII had a section too whuch was supposed to stealth lol, when you arrive in Palumpolum with Hope. it's not really stealth, it's just lie like following the light in Gapra Whitewood. the game was really unfinished...

The part where you walk through some cars and soldiers? wow lol The more you know...

I mean you were attacked in the first corner, hows that stealth? hahah

Pooya

Amano didn't do the logo for crisis core either (not sure about Dirge?), it's not exactly a first time. this game is more along those than a main FF sequel. with that said, logo is very western ish, the font reminds me of Star Wars 1313 logo.

This barely even qualifies as a sequel. Such an obvious cash-in to sell a completely different game with an unlikeable character from an unlikeable game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

There have been stealth mechanics in many RPGs including Final Fantasy. The Last Story kind of shows that. Even getting pre-emptive strikes in FF13 required you to stealth around a little. Then there's Xenoblade where there were different ways to rouse the enemies (ex: if they see you, if you make too much noise when approaching it, etc.). Edit: Final Fantasy VII had a good example of a stealth section in Midgar.

This doesn't sound like a new IP, btw. It's just a new game with new mechanics.

TheBaronOfNA said:
Somewhere else, in a place forsaken by God, someone has started writing a ShadowXLighting Crossover Fanfic.
I wouldn't be surprised... -_-

Airgetlam

I knew weren't going to do it but, I was hoping a little Versus XIII would slip in the presentation somehow. But I guess it'll only exist in my dreams, along with Wild Arms 6 and Suikoden VI. The world would be a better place if those actually existed. :(

Pooya

The thing I like the most about the concept of this game so far is that sounds like no one from XIII/XIII-2 will show up, that's a good thing, maybe they can make new NPC characters instead, I take new & bad over old & bad anyday :)

kayos90

One playable character? What the hell?

I don't see Versus coming out in 2013 at all.

I don't see Versus coming out in 2014 either. LOL. If they do not know show anything decent this year, I'm just going to assume 2015.

The thing I like the most about the concept of this game so far is that sounds like no one from XIII/XIII-2 will show up, that's a good thing, maybe they can make new NPC characters instead, I take new & bad over old & bad anyday :)

You didn't like Noel? T_T

Yip, this is a good direction

LuuKyK

Agreed.

I don't see Versus coming out in 2014 either. LOL. If they do not know show anything decent this year, I'm just going to assume 2015.

Jesus Christ kayos, 2015? LOL

Right... WHO demanded it????

I wanne know... come out and show yourself!! Don't worry... we won't hurt you (a lot).

Bruce_warns.gif

Rad-

The most startling change to Lightning Returns comes in the form of the doomsday countdown. According to Square-Enix, the world will end after 13 days, and a massive clock will count down constantly in the corner of the screen to indicate this looming deadline. Any action players take, even taking the monorail from place to place, will spend time and hasten the end of days.

Well there goes my hype.

Just kidding. I didn't have any hype before either.

StuBurns

Banned
One playable character? What the hell?

I don't see Versus coming out in 2013 at all.
02/13 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
05/13 Final Fantasy X HD
07/13 Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
09/13 Final Fantasy Type-0
11/13 Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Believe

Noi

iigcerjB3Mn7e.gif

Pooya

You didn't like Noel? T_T

Not one bit, him and Serah ruined the game for me, I think I whined about that too much on twitter last year :p I hope he's dead, along with Hope, Serah and everyone else, and really dead I mean, they can use that for character dev for Lightning too I guess lol. don't think they can possibly survive XXX years later even after going through that chaos thing and world falling apart. maybe Fang and Vanille that were crystals survive somehow, I guess Snow has a chance too being a l'Cie :X

kayos90

Not one bit, him and Serah ruined the game for me, I think I whined about that too much on twitter last year :p I hope his dead, along with Hope, Serah and everyone else :p . don't think they can possibly survive XXX years later even after going through that chaos thing and world falling apart. maybe Fang and Vanille that were crystals survive somehow, I guess Snow has a chance too being a l'Cie :X

Wow. I think you're the first person I met that hated Noel. Mind telling me why?

I got BoF: Dragon Quarter vibes reading the OP.

Regardless, it's just another desperate attempt to force feed Lightning to the masses. YOU WILL LIKE HER.

More convoluted nonsense introduced to the fairly straight-forward world and story of XIII further alienates those who actually enjoyed it. Lightning has gone from moody "worst birthday ever" former soldier to a technobabble deity, fighting mega-demons pulled out of Motomu Toriyama's ass.

Who wanted this? Maybe as a stand alone game with different characters and a different setting. Can anyone honestly say this will not further increase apathy to the Final Fantasy brand from those who just want to move on from Pink Cloud?

Tizoc

Pretty sure Lightning is popular in Japan, her characterization as a tough older sister must have appeal over there.
At any rate I don't care about Lightning but the concept for this game...is prob. what the original FFXIII should've been like.
I think the concept is interesting and I really hope they pull it of.
...but just to be on the safe side I'm gonna wait for impressions first. To me FFXIII is a prototype, FFXIII-2 is a Beta.

Is anyone else reminded of Nier? If only because it's an action adventure game starring 1 playable character.

Oh and FFXIII Versus seems like it's gonna be a Next Gen title by now, but I ain't in a hurry to get a next gen console.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why are they so serious? They keep talking about Lightning as if she was a real person?

What the hell are they talking about? When did she fight against destiny? Courageous and elegant? Did I play a different game?
Toriyama wants you to love her as much as he loves her. :3

Pooya

Wow. I think you're the first person I met that hated Noel. Mind telling me why?

there were a few reasons.

first his appearance was really bad, him next to Serah with that terrible outfit too was really off putting to say the least. who thought that was a good idea? I like how they got feedback about FFXIII designs and ended up with those? I like to see the thought process behind that, I think one of the reasons the game sold bad were because of the pretty bleh image of those and them the only characters with monster capturing was quite a bit turn off for a lot of people from what I was reading last year too. when people were submitting questions foe the dev team last year, more characters were always the most asked one and what they were concerned about, because I think the two they had were pretty bad. I think Kagari can vouch on this one.

when I played the game he was better than i thought but he ended up being boring and worthless again, when a character says protect protect protect these days I drop him/her off a cliff at once :p

looking forward here to see if they screwed up the Lightning character here or not, because she was bad too, not to mention her 3D model being incredibly ugly.

Top Bottom