• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Posthuman

Neo Member
Is that really it though? All these new concepts we are seeing have absolutely nothing to do with XIII and XIII-2. What's more likely is they needed a Final Fantasy game in a year's span, needed an action game to skin with a strong brand, or needed to make use of their current generation engine. Or a mix.

I don't think this game's existence has anything to do with trying to address people's concerns about XIII. Those people would rather there be no game at all. This is purely a sequel/spinoff/whatever that will continue to water this series down.

Well, it was stated that the combat system is a modified version of that of the previous two games. Making battles more "real-time" and more "interactive," which is apparently what this game is doing, are progressive steps that fans have been clamoring for for ages.

In addition, the countdown clock, and how completing differing tasks/performing differing actions affect it, implies that the game will feature some form of choice and consequence (And, at the very least, multiple endings).

Everything revealed about the game sounds like features that should have been implemented in the Final Fantasy series ages ago; even if it is marketed as a "spin-off," it's still the most progressive thing Square has done to the franchise as of late.

RagnarokX

FukYW.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, it was stated that the combat system is a modified version of that of the previous two games. Making battles more "real-time" and more "interactive," which is apparently what this game is doing, are progressive steps that fans have been clamoring for for ages.

In addition, the countdown clock, and how completing differing tasks/performing differing actions affect it, implies that the game will feature some form of choice and consequence (And, at the very least, multiple endings).

Everything revealed about the game sounds like features that should have been implemented in the Final Fantasy series ages ago; even if it is marketed as a "spin-off," it's still the most progressive thing Square has done to the franchise as of late.

Too bad it's going to probably be poorly implemented due to the short dev cycle.

Wow. I just realized. I hate this avatar a lot more than my Jude one. FML.

What would they possibly gain from hiding gameplay? (I mean yeah, they do it with the closed mega theater bullshit, and that's stupid as well)

I seriously don't understand this company most of the time sometimes.

kayos90

What would they possibly gain from hiding gameplay? (I mean yeah, they do it with the closed mega theater bullshit, and that's stupid as well)

It's most likely teaser gameplay. Not ready yet. So they don't want to show it off quite so much. That or they want to wait to put it up later.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

They will officially reveal it later, maybe it wasn't ready for the general public. Same thing happened with MGS: Ground Zeroes.

As we reported earlier, the demo version was based off an alpha build. The textures and voices were all placeholder (the voices were from the development staff).

That's probably why.

Jeels

I guess we will just have to disagree, because a timer of all things was not what I wanted out of the Final Fantasy series.

And "costumes", "blocking", and "open" worlds are nothing revolutionary.

Still waiting to see what the battle system is like though. But when they say they are making it more interactive or whatever, it gives me little to no faith. Especially if you read some of the stuff they had said about XIII's original battle system. It's all superfluous wording. Hopefully September 4th shows some footage.

Oh, well I feel stupid, I completely missed the alpha build bit. Thanks for pointing that out.

Even then, some still screens would have been nice.

kayos90

I expect the battle system to be something along the lines of Darksiders, Fable, Kingdoms of Amular probably.

Noi

SE and Konami are in a competition to see whose fans they can drive up a wall the most.

Posthuman

Neo Member
Too bad it's going to probably be poorly implemented due to the short dev cycle.

I dunno; it could be that many of the mechanics that are being introduced with this game have been floating around the company for years, finally materializing within this game. It's hard to judge an unreleased project by its apparent dev cycle.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seriously. This stupid company.

Who cares about how it might look? Show the gameplay elements off.

Andriasang said:
The demo play segment, performed live on the PlayStation 3, showed a battle sequence. You can customize Lightning's weapon, shield, costume and abilities. These customizations can be stored and switched between as you battle. The combinations also have names -- Blast Witch, or Holy Liberator for instance -- and there seems to be a visual transformation sequence. All this makes the customization combination system sound like the Paradigms of past XIII games, but it's not clear if the naming is the same.
Sounds like you can make something akin to Paradigm Packs with your weapons/armour. I kind of see what they're getting at with regards to the materia description. But it seems as though you need to combine different pieces of armour/weapons in order to create a good flexible paradigm.

And a visual transformation sequence, lol. Well, can't say I didn't expect that.

Andriasang said:
Like your typical FF game, the battle system has an ATB gauge which fills up as time progresses. But there are some action-style elements here, as you can now assign skills to buttons. Famitsu also says that you can assign some actions, including an evasion action, to a button.
I'm trying to wrap my head around the ATB gauge part of it. Like, I'd rather there not be an ATB gauge attached to it, because for some reason it makes combat sound less fluid.

But if you assign evade to buttons and they have that block mechanic in there, then Noi might be right about certain "paradigms" being related to countering.

I don't think I need to see a video of this game. I'm just going to say that this game is bad. Now when I come around to reviewing this... maybe I'll think differently.
Oh you.

You're just mad because you lost your bet and you hate your avatar. :p

SE and Konami are in competition are in a competition to see whose fans they can drive up a wall the most.
Konami is already dead to me until they make Suikoden VI.

kayos90

I dunno; it could be that many of the mechanics that are being introduced with this game have been floating around the company for years, finally materializing within this game. It's hard to judge an unreleased project by its apparent dev cycle.

The only way I see this succeeding is that they're using Versus assets to make LRXIII's combat. That's it. Other than that, it's going to bomb hard.

I really hope we get a XIII-3 in the future. No, this game doesn't count IMO.

Then you and I hope for different things. The faster we end this, we can then finally move on. I want this game to be the last XIII game so we DON'T have any more XIII pain.

kayos90

Oh you.

You're just mad because you lost your bet and you hate your avatar. :p

Lol. Well, I'm just upset at how things are panning out and proceeding. I'm not too happy. I know many others are not happy. The gameplay ideas are promising. Not all great but promising. The thing is everyone is hopeful based on JUST that. My problem lie in that these great ideas are going to fall flat.

Pooya

so, I'm trying to estimate somewhat when they exactly started this project. yeah, yeah Kitase said something a while back about it but them having an alpha build right now obviously doesn't add up, no way they started this game a few months ago I mean. also Kitase says lots of random things in interviews.

Yuji Abe was only credited as battle supervisor in FF13-2, but here he is 'Game Design Director', obviously he wasn't actively working on 13-2. The other hint might be the time Square Enix USA registered their XIII-3 domain, which is Sep 7, so while they knew there was going to be something they didn't know what it would be yet quite. I'd say they started this as early as early summer last year, they knew about scenario of 13-2 of course, don't think they waited much.

That leaves the release date, it's Sep now and they don't have voice acting nothing. chances of this hitting first half of next year is really low. they probably want to have a E3 presence for it too and going by 13-2 unveil -> release, about a year. I'm thinking an August-Sep 2013 release isn't that far off, could be July-June in Japan.

Posthuman

Neo Member
And you think that's somehow going to "fix" the series?

Well, it's a start.

Bad designers are going to implement even cool concepts poorly.

I don't think the problem with Square is necessarily bad designers, per se; rather designers who are given little room to breathe by cost-cutting executive meddling.

I'm having a bit of a difficult time in seeing the plagiarism there, could someone help me out?

They both uh, have water or something.

I've only read a few details so far and am pretty interested in it but jesus christ, Square Enix, why the fuck do you always have to put the subtitles BEFORE the title?! It's a small thing but I hate it. It makes no sense.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lol. Well, I'm just upset at how things are panning out and proceeding. I'm not too happy. I know many others are not happy. The gameplay ideas are promising. Not all great but promising. The thing is everyone is hopeful based on JUST that. My problem lie in that these great ideas are going to fall flat.
Well, if they've just started development (is that really right?), wonder what the timeframe for this one to come out?

I mean, if they're going to go with a departure from the other two games in terms of a battle engine, then they would need adequate time for it to spend in the oven. I can't help but to think it won't get enough time to sort everything out. Not to mention that I would prefer that the framerate is good in terms of an action scenario.

And do battles take place on a separate screen or on the same 'map wandering' screen?

I dunno, man. I know I sound interested in the gameplay, and I am, but I'm not interested in the rest of it at all. Don't care about the protagonist, don't care about the world, don't care about the story implications, none of it. It's kinda weird.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm pretty irritated. Concepts are cool in theory, but they must be shown in motion.

One step at time, in less than one year we're even going to play it. They'll show the trailer probably at TGS :p

Isamu Kamikokuryo btw is the best art director in Square Enix. I absolutely love every single fucking work of his.

Overclock is a thing again?
andriasang said:
The combinations also have names -- Blast Witch, or Holy Liberator for instance -- and there seems to be a visual transformation sequence.
Moon Tiara Magic confirmed.

This IS XIII-3.

Idk I was expecting XIII-3 to be directly after the events of XIII-2, isn't Lightning Returns hundreds of years after XIII-2?
It'd be kinda dumb if there was no closure for Noel, Hope, Vanille, Fang etc etc.

Maybe it'll all be explained in Lightning Returns... Who knows..

Airgetlam

They both uh, have water or something.

I've only read a few details so far and am pretty interested in it but jesus christ, Square Enix, why the fuck do you always have to put the subtitles BEFORE the title?! It's a small thing but I hate it. It makes no sense.
I agree. I really hope it's just a working title that they're going to change. Would calling it XIII-3 be so bad?

I'm also disappointed they didn't show a re-designed Lightning. I was hoping they would at least have that. I knew showing a gameplay trailer would be too much for SE.

kayos90

So how many Final Fantasy XIII's are we expecting?

Well there will be Return of Snow: Final Fantasy XIII which will act like Dynasty Warriors.

We get Hope's Revengeance: Final Fantasy XIII which will be a Third-person shooter with his boomerang.

We get FangxVanille: Final Fantasy XIII which will be a love sim.

Then we get Noel's Journey: Final Fantasy XIII which will be a visual novel. Am I covering all bases?

read my post above, I think that's very unrealistic to be true.

Pre-dev and pre-production most likely started after XIII-2. However development fully started in August. That's still pretty bad.

dokish

Banned
The most startling change to Lightning Returns comes in the form of the doomsday countdown. According to Square-Enix, the world will end after 13 days, and a massive clock will count down constantly in the corner of the screen to indicate this looming deadline. Any action players take, even taking the monorail from place to place, will spend time and hasten the end of days.

Come on, son.

No-GIF1.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh shit, I totally forgot. What are the chances that they'll use the 13-13-13 date somehow?

I guess the game can't come out then... but it seems like a missed opportunity if they don't do SOMETHING.

dc89

The art work is pretty neat. But, every FF games artwork is neat so it's nothing to judge it on.

Countdown clock? Majora Retruns: Final Fantasy XIII is a more fitting title.

Top Bottom