• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
i guess i just felt that XIII-2 was from overflow hate from XIII-1, just like we are seeing here for number 3. Its just opinions so I'll never know the motivations behind them for sure. Its just the feeling i get from seeing how people seem to absolutely love to hate on the game.

XIII was reviewed high by a lot of outlets for simply being called 'Final Fantasy,' XIII-2 was reviewed more realistically, which is why the lower metacritic score exists.

Uthred

Saw this interesting post from a Gamefaq user saying Toriyama is plagiarising his Fanfic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/63922337

Sounds like bullshit. Yeah "Novus" is super original, no-one could possibly come up with that without plagarising it from somewhere, especially when the naming scheme for their current franchise is full of pseudo latin sounding bollocks. And holy shit a world thats going to end after a set amount of time, my mind she is blown by the originality - and I mean 16 years is basically the same thing as a fortnight. But clearly the most obvious sign he was ripped off was his super original idea of a world split into four parts each with a different design/elemental association. If only someone else had this guys vision.

Hyped for this, but I was actually hoping to get a FFXIII-3 (an actual continuation after the events of XIII-2). Oh well. So I guess there's still a chance for XIII-3 then, lol. Nice.

Saw this interesting post from a Gamefaq user saying Toriyama is plagiarising his Fanfic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/63922337

ewqZH.jpg

Electrica
Tenebrae
New Rome
Spaceport

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I... I actually agree with you. I wasn't expecting this at all. If they pull this off, they can end the entire Lightning 'saga' with a bang. But I kind of worry that after the critical and commercial reception of FFXIII and XIII-2, people will turn a blind eye towards this game. That said, I'm still a bit skeptical though.

This team shows they know what's happening outside their main land. FFXIII-2, even if not perfect at all, shown the developers took their time to see what's happening in the west with gaming and why everything now is western-oriented. Lightning Returns could finally deliver that big drastic change the series needs from years to become appealing again worldwide. Fresh ideas, unique concepts, real-time battles, deep customization, open world and interaction – all elements that could turn this game into a great turning point.

People are still talking about Versus, a game of which we still don't know a single thing. At the same time, the team of Kitase and Toriyama are already showing us the future of the genre set to release in 2013. I'm impressed, once again. This must be the most dynamic and confident team S-E ever had in the last ten years.

SOLDIER

You're all seriously deluded if you think Square is going to come up with a world as open and detailed as Skyrim, especially with this short development time.

Unless it turned out they were not using the Crystal Tools engine. That would be the best news out of this whole thing.

Wonder how many re-used NPCs there are going to be. "We're dressed like the residents of Cocoon ironically, since it's the anniversary of the Cocoon festival!"

GorillaJu

I don't really care that lightning is striking a third time here, but the gameplay elements do sound pretty cool. I like games that have a real overarching element that not only relates thematically to the gameplay but dictates it.

It sounds like they are starting from the concept and working the story around it, which is really cool and a welcome change in my book.

nasos_333

This team shows they know what's happening outside their main land. FFXIII-2, even if not perfect at all, shown the developers took their time to see what's happening in the west with gaming and why everything now is western-oriented. Lightning Returns could finally deliver that big drastic change the series needs from years to become appealing again worldwide. Fresh ideas, unique concepts, real-time battles, deep customization, open world and interaction – all elements that could turn this game into a great turning point.

People are still talking about Versus, a game of which we still don't know a single thing. At the same time, the team of Kitase and Toriyama are already showing us the future of the genre set to release in 2013. I'm impressed, once again.

There is a lot of gameplay from FF13vs actually and info about it

But generally i just dont care for FF13 series anymore, i dont think it can be saved in any way

The major drawback for me is the world they have created and its art, i just dont like it and that cant change now

My top bets are FF15 after the Agnes demo and Bravely Default that are way closer to the ideal art/world i want to see in a FF game

Toth

You're all seriously deluded if you think Square is going to come up with a world as open and detailed as Skyrim, especially with this short development time.

Unless it turned out they were not using the Crystal Tools engine. That would be the best news out of this whole thing.

Wonder how many re-used NPCs there are going to be. "We're dressed like the residents of Cocoon ironically, since it's the anniversary of the Cocoon festival!"

Or....SE can just use the assets of another project and turn it around for LR.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ok, I think I finally get what they're doing. They're using an entire series of games as one long beta test.

XIII came out and laid the framework of the engine and setting, but was kind of a 30 hour cutscene.

XIII-2 toyed with larger areas, NPC interactivity and differing art styles in HD.
>Academia seemed like a beta test of HD cities and design for Versus XIII.
>Agusta Tower had Kingdom Hearts/Tron vibes.

Now Lightning Returns is going to focus on exploration and customization, with a shift to a more real-time battle system.
>Battle system changes feel like test drives for Versus XIII gameplay systems.
>The new checkered city environments seen so far remind me of Roxas and Twilight Town.

I'm thinking Square is going to release Lightning Returns, use reaction to it to polish up and finish Versus XIII, release *that* and use reactions to decide a development direction for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Or maybe they re-tool how SEN works. Make it more about the counters than the damage reduction/blocking itself. That is, if Paradigms are even going to be a thing in this game.

I wonder just how exploitable the timer system is going to be anyway. If it's anything like say, Dead Rising, running out of time would essentially act as a New Game+ where everything starts over but the base character stats stay upgraded. I'm drawing a blank on how that mechanic worked in Dragon Quarter, exactly.
I'm assuming that Paradigms are going to be a thing in this game still since they said it was a modification of the systems in FFXIII and FFXIII-2? Wouldn't be surprised if I were completely off-base on this one, though.

In Dragon Quarter, if you restart and use the SOL Restore, you will be taken back to your last save point, your D-Counter, your level and Zenny will be reverted to where it was at that point. But you'll still keep a bit of the XP you earned before SOLing and you'll keep all the skills/equipment that you had before SOLing. The items you have stored in the locker will carry over, iirc.

If you SOL Restart, the same thing happens from SOL: Restore with regards to levels, Zenny, skills, etc. But you'll be back at the beginning and you'll see extra stuff from the story. D-counter resets to 0, and
you'll lose your Dragon Powers until you get them in the scenario again

If it's like Dragon Quarter, then, well, we'll know how to play it. :lol

Fimbulvetr said:
This, combined with the Majora's Mask time limit, make me wonder if some of the game designers aren't big Zelda fans. I'd hope for puzzles, but after XIII-2... yeah, no.
Lightning needs to turn into a Goron and play a lullaby on bongo drums for a baby to go to sleep.

Game redeemed if true.

Jeels

People are still talking about Versus, a game of which we still don't know a single thing. At the same time, the team of Kitase and Toriyama are already showing us the future of the genre set to release in 2013. I'm impressed, once again. This must be the most dynamic and confident team S-E ever had in the last ten years.

Oh my god, how much did they pay you?

It's not just Lightning though. The chemistry of the ensemble is what made FFXIII so great in the first place. Without the rest of the ensemble what's left? Don't get me wrong I could listen to Ali Hillis read the god damn phone book but without the rest of the cast it'll just seem hollow.

Killing Serah at the end of FFXIII-2 for no good reason was a dick move.

Why can't I just get the party members and layout of FFXIII with an iteration of FFXIII-2's battle system
post-500AF
and a newly recreated Pulse?

What is even happening in this post?

What.

botty

Banned
This isn't fair. This isn't right.

Square is exploiting the Kingdom Hearts fans at this point. How many rushed/filler games have we had to play through, while the Final Fantasy fans get their console games? Is anyone asking for these games? Cause we've been waiting asking for KH3 for nearly a decade now.

Lightning isn't supposed to strike the same place twice, and it is complete bs that she is about to hit a third time.

Artemisia

Banned
Again, Square Enix knows how to surprise and to make an impact. The concept of this game surpasses everything I was expecting, it is such an interesting take on the world and characters of Final Fantasy that, if well realized, could represent a turning point to the whole series.

It's honestly so hard to tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Perfo... I like you. Come on, man. Not like this.

34YeW.jpg

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think you are bit too invested in this. Can Square Enix really execute all those elements efficiently? With FFXIII-2 even though it was a much better game than FFXIII, the production values took a nose dive. Considering this game is being churned out really fast, I'm not sure if they can really create something impressive. But the entire premise is very, very intriguing though. I hope they reveal more details soon.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm thinking Square is going to release Lightning Returns, use reaction to it to polish up and finish Versus XIII, release *that* and use reactions to decide a development direction for Kingdom Hearts 3.
That won't be around until 2017 then. :p

. . . why everything now is western-oriented. . . . Fresh ideas, unique concepts, real-time battles, deep customization, open world and interaction – all elements that could turn this game into a great turning point.
I can see what you mean, this does sound more like a WRPG, since that's what a lot of them focus on.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
We're talking about Perfo here. JUST CLICK HIS TAG FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Sometimes when I read my replies again, I confuse myself with some S-E PR!

Jokes aside, I more faith in this team currently in S-E than any else.

canvee

i guess i just felt that XIII-2 was from overflow hate from XIII-1, just like we are seeing here for number 3. Its just opinions so I'll never know the motivations behind them for sure. Its just the feeling i get from seeing how people seem to absolutely love to hate on the game.

Yep, my hate did overflow from FFXIII-1, however I still gave FFXIII-2 a go since my brother ended up buying...I ended up hating both. As for my motivation for hating it? I hate the world/story/battle system and especially the characters(although FFXIII-2 was GREATLY helped by the absence of Vanille). Coming from the amazing Ivalice to the world of Gran Pulse was just disappointing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think you are bit too invested in this. Can Square Enix really execute all those elements efficiently? With FFXIII-2 even though it was a much better game than FFXIII, the production values took a nose dive. Considering this game is being churned out really fast, I'm not sure if they can really create something impressive. But the entire premise is very, very intriguing though. I hope they reveal more details soon.

There lies the concern.

Less development time than XIII-2, when XIII-2 was largely unpolished as it was (framerate drops, etc)

Time limits - no thanks, one of my most hated game mechanics.

And realistically, how long will this game be? I'm guessing 12 hours or less.

I don't really care that lightning is striking a third time here, but the gameplay elements do sound pretty cool. I like games that have a real overarching element that not only relates thematically to the gameplay but dictates it.

It sounds like they are starting from the concept and working the story around it, which is really cool and a welcome change in my book.

These are completely different teams.

The KH team is busy with their vaporware game.

So blame that for KH3's delays.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm having a bit of a difficult time in seeing the plagiarism there, could someone help me out?
There's a river.

I cannot see the Spaceport. Is Lightning going to space?

Funny thing about it is that FFXIII-2 made me like and appreciate FFXIII more.

I don't hate either of them. I think both games are average, and they complement each other very nicely as one of them will offer something that the other doesn't.

JimFear

Banned
OH MY GOD A REAL TIME BLOCK SYSTEM, THIS IS SO REVOLUTIONARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5yvj8o-1.gif

Uthred

I'm having a bit of a difficult time in seeing the plagiarism there, could someone help me out?

You need to channel your vision through a lens of "Toriyama/Square/FFXIII/Lighting/etc. are the devil and have prevented me playing KH3/playing FFXIIIvs/enjoying a FF mainline game (which is a crime)/maintaining my erection/etc.", then you'll be able to see it ;)

Hmmm cautiously interested...although I wish it was a new character in a new universe, as well as a new world. Lightning is alright, but the whole FFXIII concept is a bit tarnished to my mind.

Still, it seems like they are taking steps in the right direction. While I far prefer party based gameplay in FF, having lightning as the main character will hopefully make the game a little less squeaky as far as character dialogue and interactions go.

They better show something of Versus at TGS. This interests me but does not placate in any way.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Sometimes when I read my replies again, I confuse myself with some S-E PR!

Jokes aside, I more faith in this team currently in S-E than any else.

No dude. I figure SE PR speaks with more sense than you do.

Posthuman

Neo Member
Whether or not anyone desired this, it's hard to deny that the changes we know of are interesting, and that Square is making a serious effort to improve upon the two previous titles.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There lies the concern.

Less development time than XIII-2, when XIII-2 was largely unpolished as it was (framerate drops, etc)

Time limits - no thanks, one of my most hated game mechanics.

And realistically, how long will this game be? I'm guessing 12 hours or less.
That's why there are a lot of reasons to be skeptical even though the details sound good. Also yeah, time limits are horrible not to mention intrusive as well.

Jeels

Whether or not anyone desired this, it's hard to deny that the changes we know of are interesting, and that Square is making a serious effort to improve upon the two previous titles.

Is that really it though? All these new concepts we are seeing have absolutely nothing to do with XIII and XIII-2. What's more likely is they needed a Final Fantasy game in a year's span, needed an action game to skin with a strong brand, or needed to make use of their current generation engine. Or a mix.

I don't think this game's existence has anything to do with trying to address people's concerns about XIII. Those people would rather there be no game at all. This is purely a sequel/spinoff/whatever that will continue to water this series down.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
From the 1Up article...

Menus are out. Instead, players instead can assign four skills or commands to the controller's face buttons and execute them instantly. If this sounds suspiciously similar to Kingdom Hearts, realize the overlap only goes so far. Lightning fights in a far less button-mashy style than Sora and friends, with considerably less air-combo time, and she's not limited to a single use of each power followed by a cooldown period. Instead, her commands run on a Active-Time Battle gauge in the classic Final Fantasy style, and each ability comes with a corresponding ATB cost. This system doesn't employ the same fixed costs as in FFXIII and XIII-2, though, and the meter isn't segmented as it was in those games. The result is a faster-paced battle system than in any previous Final Fantasy, but a far less manic one than in the earlier FFXIII titles.
Less aerials? Ugh. :/

Need to see this in video-form because part of it sounds interesting while the other part of it is something I'm a little unsure of.

lol. They fucking cut the video and showed some gameplay.

http://andriasang.com/con2jo/lightn...ns/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Square... good god.
Because NO ONE is interested in gameplay. They just want to see pretty shots of a character people like, right!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't think I need to see a video of this game. I'm just going to say that this game is bad. Now when I come around to reviewing this... maybe I'll think differently.

Top Bottom