• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns NA & European pre-order bonuses announced - Cloud Costume

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
In the final battle, Lightning is going to kill Etro...and then after the credits, the player's going to find out that Lightning has been Etro the entire time. Her eyes open, and she looks out over a massive city while a fleet of airships approaches the tallest skyscraper.

The screen fades out...To Be Continued in Final Fantasy XV.
)

I'd pay for this. Just to see Lightning haters, lol ~

Squire

Banned
To all the people talking about XIII's graphics and comparing them to XIII-2 or Lightning Returns: XIII was a glorified tube. The reason they could afford such pretty graphics was that there was nothing there outside of the hallway; no environmental features, no real side-quests, no nothin'.

I have no idea if XIII-2 and LIghtning Returns actually made the tube into a real world or if they're sticking to the hallway, but if they are expanding the world, the graphical assets are what suffer. More open games tend to have worse graphics, animations, etc. than linear, closed games because there are more situations.

This isn't a defense of Lightning Returns' graphics, they still look really shitty, but people should stop comparing them to the game that wasn't really anything more than a pretty tube and instead compare them to other games of comparable scope.

LOLscopeinamodernFinalFantasytitle

I think we're all well aware of the situation. It just doesn't matter. Hell, it doesn't even make sense. "They dropped the linearity, so of course it looks worse!" No. By this logic, FFXII should look worse than FFX, but it absolutely does not. Fidelity is not determined by the density/sparcity of the environment.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I already see Toriyama trying to shover her into XV.

I mean. I understand why. She is the most iconic FF protagonist.

Perfo

Final Fantasy XIII-2's bad "attention to details" (because graphics were the same as XIII, the problem was the lack of attention to details that usually makes FF distinct) could have more to do with the game being outsourced than anything else. With Lightning Returns infact we went back to have detailed and stylish enviroments again. The game this time is developed entirely by Square Enix, maybe that helps.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Final Fantasy XIII-2's bad "attention to details" (because graphics were the same as XIII, the problem was the lack of attention to details that usually makes FF distinct) could be connected to outsourcing the game more than anything else. With Lightning Returns infact we went back to have detailed and stylish enviroments like before. The game this is developed completely by Square Enix, maybe that helps.

The game wasn't completely outsourced and some of the outsourced elements are the best part about the game. Look at how beautifual Academia looks. The problems with XIII-2 is its bad story and tacked on gameplay mechanics and design choices.

dramatis

in the sense that it attempts to be focused on character emotions rather than paradoxes and ridiculous sequences.

XIII is literally a character study and there is no focus on action, explosions , monsters or paradoxes.

Whether it succeeded at that is up to the player.
Then what's with all the cutscenes with no purpose other than to show off flashy moves? A good chunk of focus is on fal'Cie, l'Cie, and an extremely pared down, black and white depiction of society and government on Cocoon.

'Focusing on character emotions' doesn't mean a work is mature. If that is the case, then Tales games are plenty more mature than FF12 or even 13, but that certainly isn't the case. "Trying to be mature" is a better descriptor for a game like Heavy Rain than FF13.

Perfo

Look at how beautifual Academia looks.

Academia (day) for me was really bad, especially when it came to optimization. The framerate was all over the place. I didn't like the style too, but that's just me. Didn't seem like something Square Enix could come up with. Actually 80% of XIII-2 seemed a Tri-Ace game while LR seems more in line with S-E previous efforts with the series. I don't know but I never liked the direction the artstyle went with XIII-2. Didn't feel right for the most. Maybe the only place I really liked was Valhalla, that's it.

T1s7Jpx.png

BELIEVE

"She's an inspiration to us all while we work"

"She watches over us as we work"

*Rose analogy*

"She's a role model for all of Japan"

"She's the face of SE"

"She a national icon"

"Watch us as we make an entire flipping oil painting of Lightning for no apparent reason"

"Her speed, her strength, her elegance..."

Dude, I like Lightning, but that whole presentation was fucking unreal. And this is how Toriyama always talks about her. And now the entire "trilogy" is named after Lightning. Again, I like Lightning, but even I'm at the point where I'm saying "Ok, I fucking get it!"
lol WTF?

If a stuck up, physically abusive bitch with a bad attitude is your national icon and the face of SE, then what does that say about your country, your company and you?

I'd pay for this. Just to see Lightning haters, lol ~

I mean. I understand why. She is the most iconic FF protagonist.

I think I would honestly probably just SKIP XV if they put her into it, unless she was a completely optional hidden boss fight with no story importance that Noctis destroys handily without even breaking a sweat.

I hate everything.

HeelPower

Then what's with all the cutscenes with no purpose other than to show off flashy moves? A good chunk of focus is on fal'Cie, l'Cie, and an extremely pared down, black and white depiction of society and government on Cocoon.

'Focusing on character emotions' doesn't mean a work is mature. If that is the case, then Tales games are plenty more mature than FF12 or even 13, but that certainly isn't the case. "Trying to be mature" is a better descriptor for a game like Heavy Rain than FF13.

Certainly the depictions of society and government weren't fleshed out to their best. I wished more attention would be given to Cid , Rosch and Nabaat to elucidate the relationship.

There were some flashy action sequences of course ,but the great majority of the entire game was just character dialogue. I think I felt their honest attempt at digging deeper into the characters.

The idea of a l'cie in the game is mostly about giving in to fate and losing the will to move on.A l'cie is a prisoner to the will of the fal'cie.

Eidolons are handled differently in XIII. They are symbols for the struggle to resist fate and making your own choices and even the fights serve some character development.

They focused on these elements instead of the sheer power of being a l'cie for example or the immense powers of the eidolons(unlike most shonen anime)

HeelPower

*Shivers*

Please don't do this to me. It's already bad enough that XIII fans continually try to tie FFXV and XIII together. I don't think my sanity can take it.

I hope they shove lightning as the secret goddess behind all the events of FFXV...Just to ruin your Christmas :p

Toth

Lightning looks like a doll and everyone else in that picture has uncanny realism.

They are both being made on different engines.... The Versus characters on the same hardware as XIII look the same, if not worse than her now.

Her face looks out of place because her skin is like, all one piece. I dunno.

Her XIII renders would fit in much better:

Final-Fantasy-XIII-Lightning.jpg

Skin creases, wrinkles, very light pink hair that appears blondish in many lights, slight bags under her eyes, frayed hair, her complexion isn't picture perfect, etc.

XIII had a sense of realism when it came to their CGI renders. That is something that XIII-2 lost quite a bit of, and LR has absolutely no trace of.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Final-Fantasy-XIII-Lightning.jpg

Skin creases, wrinkles, very light pink hair that appears blondish in many lights, slight bags under her eyes, frayed hair, her complexion isn't picture perfect, etc.

XIII had a sense of realism when it came to their CGI renders. That is something that XIII-2 lost quite a bit of, and LR has absolutely no trace of.

They got lazier or had more time constraints as the game goes by. She had such details on her face at the beginning and by the end she lost all her flaws. That l'cie plastic surgery!

They got lazier or had more time constraints as the game goes by. She had such details on her face at the beginning and by the end she lost all her flaws. That l'cie plastic surgery!

XIII in general was... weird... when it came to keeping characters on model. Just look at Fang:

tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo1_250.png
tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo5_250.png
tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo9_250.png
tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo7_250.png
tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo4_250.png
tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo3_250.png
tumblr_lwz4c5nTKA1qerdhoo2_250.png

It's like they couldn't decide what they wanted Fang to look like, so they just kept changing her look throughout production and we got this as a result. Some have her features more defined than others, some show her skin to be smooth as glass, others show her with sharper features, there are subtle differences in facial structuring...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
With all this 'Cloud' marketing Xbox 1 is doing, now's really the perfect time for Square to cash in on the FF7 remake cash cow.

Whompa

She's still too smooth and "perfectly" unrealistic. Also the lighting is crazy fake...

The character renders for XV look way WAY more realistic with blemishes, moles, more natural hair color, freckles, amazing lighting, and even some asymmetry *gasp*.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, everyone's skin in FFXIII looks too perfect.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Excerpt from actual interview with Itagaki:

XBN: Who is your personal favorite DOA girl?

Itagaki: Kasumi, for sure. I fell responsible for her. Do you know that some hackers made a nude code for her in DOA3? It broke my heart. I feel very close to her after that event. It was an attack on her.

XBN: Kasumi is the youngest, right? She's 17. Are you okay with sexualizing a 17-year-old?

Itagaki: Why not? In Japan, that's okay. Maybe it's 20 in America. Remember though, I was 27 when I created Kasumi. I'm older now, but 17-year-old girls are still gorgeous. Still, I'm not the kind of creator that lets my own tastes overwhelm the game. I make games for the player, not just myself.

Toriyama and Lightning have nothing on that. He pretty much flat out confirms waifu status and has a genuine emotional attachment to her.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Man, you guys just can't understand Lightning's greatness, can you?
Her skin in the CG has no blemishes because she's perfect, unlike XV's crowd.

Jubern

Not sure this deserves a thread because it's something people might NOT want to know before playing the game, but they revealed a new character during the Japan Expo live stage event: the boss of the Dead Dunes bandits who is...
----Fang----

Pretty unexpected to be honest.

Top Bottom