• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns starts to appear in Los Angeles

RocBase

You are talking about western titles though. Have any Japanese based games gotten any type of hype over here aside from maybe RE and MGR?

But why does it matter that they're western titles? FF is as big if not bigger than some of those said Western games that XIII-2 should have received the same hype levels as the western sequels.

Voror

Since Kingdom Hearts II (2006) he has worked on:

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (2006)
[PlayStation 2] Character Designer

Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode: Final Fantasy VII (2006)
[Mobile Phones] Character Designer

Final Fantasy V Advance (2006)
[Game Boy Advance] Monster Designer

The World Ends with You (2007)
[Nintendo DS] Creative Producer & Main Character Designer

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2007)
[PlayStation Portable] Creative Producer & Character Designer

Kingdom Hearts coded (2008)
[Mobile Phones] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2008)

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (2009)
[Nintendo DS] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Final Fantasy XIII (2009)
[PlayStation 3, Xbox 360] Main Character Designer

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (2010)
[PlayStation Portable] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (2010)
[Nintendo DS] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

The 3rd Birthday (2010)
[PlayStation Portable] Creative producer & Character Designer

Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy (2011)

Final Fantasy Type-0 (2011)

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011)

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (2012)
[Nintendo 3DS] Creative Producer

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (2012)
[Nintendo 3DS] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Final Fantasy: All The Bravest (2013)
[iOS] Creative Producer & Original Concept

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (2013)
[PlayStation 3] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013)

Final Fantasy Versus XIII (TBA)
[PlayStation 3] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Well, the man certainly keeps busy. I wonder how long the character designing process actually takes for each of those games.

Additionally, how much he may have had complete for Versus before full production began. Are production bibles at all common in Japan?

Best thing will be to see the face of Kagari when she'll notice that this year S-E is going to push the hell out of LR :p

It's still not Versus' time, except for the brief re-announcement I mean. LR will have all the attentions from the press.

We'll certainly see more of LR and probably have a show demo available, but I can't say I see them really pushing the game, at least in the west.

I imagine that the re-announcement, no matter how brief, will get more attention than anything else they have to offer. Unless they announce KHIII or something as well.

dramatis

Yes because all advertising SE is doing for the game will be restricted to E3 ads...
And yet, in 2009 there on that hotel Lightning, Snow and Vanille were. Right now, the budget they have for LR marketing is probably a fraction of what they got for 13. What they did for 13-2 was less than what they did for Hitman Absolution, for Deus Ex Revolution, for Tomb Raider. There's no question that the amount of 'push' for LR is not going to be as fabulously great as Perfo imagines.

You are talking about western titles though. Have any Japanese based games gotten any type of hype over here aside from maybe RE and MGR?
Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs. Capcom, Gran Turismo 5 (probably more in Europe than in NA though, because Europe loves it more?), Dark Souls.

And what does being a western title or a Japanese title have to do with hype, especially when it comes to sequels? 13 had its fair share of hype, and yet somehow its sequel wasn't quite so welcome. Either 13-2 showed significant improvement and content that made it worth praising and hyping, or it didn't. If you're cutting out all the western games just to boost the perception of 13-2, then isn't that an admission of the lack of push behind the title?

Toth

And yet, in 2009 there on that hotel Lightning, Snow and Vanille were. Right now, the budget they have for LR marketing is probably a fraction of what they got for 13. What they did for 13-2 was less than what they did for Hitman Absolution, for Deus Ex Revolution, for Tomb Raider. There's no question that the amount of 'push' for LR is not going to be as fabulously great as Perfo imagines.

Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs. Capcom, Gran Turismo 5 (probably more in Europe than in NA though, because Europe loves it more?), Dark Souls.

And what does being a western title or a Japanese title have to do with hype, especially when it comes to sequels? 13 had its fair share of hype, and yet somehow its sequel wasn't quite so welcome. Either 13-2 showed significant improvement and content that made it worth praising and hyping, or it didn't. If you're cutting out all the western games just to boost the perception of 13-2, then isn't that an admission of the lack of push behind the title?

My point is that Japanese games have not gotten the level of advertising/ hype since FF13 and as a result, sales of these games have dropped akin to the drop from 13 to 13-2. All of those games did not sell super well here either (though fighting games and GT has a MUCH higher audience than JRPGs nowadays). What I keep getting at is that sales of JPN titles have dropped across the board and FF13-2's lower sales were not an exception or 'fan outcry', but the unfortunate norm.

Shinta

Banned
That 'explanation' is insufficient. If they already knew about the collapse of crystal Cocoon so early on, then the obvious thing to do is to build a chain of 'camps' leading away from Cocoon's base to a safe point, where they can build a city. The camps will serve as supply transport points.

With all the claims of 'Pulse is huge', it is absurd to think that their technology over the course of 400 years could not carry them far enough to be safe. You cannot be so stupid to suffer the event of Cocoon's fall and the subsequent problems and then decide the best solution is to build another floating ball to live in.

There is nowhere to really go that would be safe. Noel's time in 700 AF with the "white sand" is actually crystal debris from Cocoon crashing into Pulse. It's like if a huge asteroid hits the earth. The debris could be so thick that it literally blocks out the sun and kills all plantlife, resulting in a dead planet. Judging from the extent of the crystal debris, I think most soil was probably ruined as well. Yeul's small tribe of nomads somehow managed to survive, probably due to her ability to see the future.

It's possible Hope could have created some super underground bunker and survived, but Cocoon crashing into Pulse is basically the apocalypse either way.

LuuKyK

And yet it still doesnt mean much, at that time there were no new gen consoles coming out. And now SE could be focusing in other areas/medium to advertise it.

Pooya

I like to see how badly this game will be received in the reviews, FF13-2 still got average 7-8 scores mostly. This one is a bit different, if people start comparing it with games in action/adventure genre considering the new elements they are trying and one character nature of the game, I think it might fare quite horribly. Visually I think it looks worse than 13-2 too so far.

Shinta

Banned
Also, I believe there was ongoing friction between those living on Cocoon and those who wanted to leave. Maybe the city was closeby built as a happy medium?

There was. One of the alternate endings was actually a civil war between the splinter groups on Pulse. One group of people never truly let go of their old lives on Cocoon and so it makes sense that they'd huddle around it and bulid on top of old technology that was left over. They followed the Academy, and lived lives of relative leisure once technology advanced.

The other group decided to leave and set up a new life out in the wilds of Pulse. You see this group in the Archyltte Steppe, and the two groups grow hostile to each other over hundreds of years and become territorial. The Pulsian wilds tribe thought the Academy was trying to ressurect the Fal'cie and did not trust them (they kind of were, with Adam).

I like to see how badly this game will be received in the reviews, FF13-2 still got average 7-8 scores mostly. This one is a bit different, if people start comparing it with games in action/adventure genre considering the new elements they are trying and one character nature of the game, I think it might fare quite horribly. Visually I think it looks worse than 13-2 too so far.

I'm more looking forward to how poorly it will sell so I can make fun of the people that called Lightning "iconic".

Pfft...iconic.

Pooya

I'm more looking forward to how poorly it will sell so I can make fun of the people that called Lightning "iconic".

Pfft...iconic.

/predictions

200k NPD, tops. 40k in UK (I think from the numbers we got 13-2 was like ~80k or something close to that, so with that in mind). 13-2 was pretty much a no show in rest of Europe not named France from what I remember, lol.

Don't think it would do well in Japan either, it didn't have particularly good word of mouth from user reviews etc. I'd go JP+Asia 500k tops :p

I give it ~1m sell through ww in first few months and they ship 2.5m copies (lol). Get back to this post when the time comes. #confident

Voror

It'd be interesting if LR ended up being the best one out of the three, though for some reason when I look at this game I can't see it being all that long.

My point is that Japanese games have not gotten the level of advertising/ hype since FF13 and as a result, sales of these games have dropped akin to the drop from 13 to 13-2. All of those games did not sell super well here either (though fighting games and GT has a MUCH higher audience than JRPGs nowadays). What I keep getting at is that sales of JPN titles have dropped across the board and FF13-2's lower sales were not an exception or 'fan outcry', but the unfortunate norm.

Again you are deriving your conclusions based on what you want to believe and not the facts that were presented. We talked about this yesterday. If you don't want to acknowledge that then fine but don't throw in ridiculous statements like "oh that's not the case for Japanese games" when other big Japanese games have done more then fine.

*I am done*

http://textsfromffxiii.tumblr.com/image/30470993437

Once Versus is shown, it's all over for Lightning :p

That is one reason why I'm a little concerned Versus *wont* show up at E3 this year. Not sure if SE will want the re-announcement of Versus to overshadow Lightning Returns. I mean, no one will be talking about LR at all if Versus gets shown again (not that the press will be talking about LR all that much to begin with during this particular E3, but you know what I mean).

I dunno... I still have some hope it'll be there, but trying to not get too excited yet.

RocBase

I can't comment on GT or Dark Souls but SF4 was hyped, well received (emphasis on well received) and sold remarkably, what you said about it not selling well in the west is not true. The dropoff from SF4 to its sequel SSF4 was no way near as significant as what 13 to 13-2 was (in fact [url="http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/feb/02/super-street-fighter-4-sold-16-million-copies/]they sold more than their original predicted goal[/url]).

MVC3 had hype and also sold great (it sold best in NA) and while its sequel had lackluster sales, much like FF13 there were many complaints about the vanilla version - and to top it off the game was announced just a few months after its predecessor's release. Basically UMVC3 had a lot wrong going for it that it SHOULD have sold the way it did, though it should be noted that the game apparently has been consistently selling, even up until this year (it was released late 2011).

Is it really so hard to fathom that maybe, just maybe, the majority of people who bought and played FF13 didn't enjoy it so as a result, didn't bother with the sequel?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That is one reason why I'm a little concerned Versus *wont* show up at E3 this year. Not sure if SE will want the re-announcement of Versus to overshadow Lightning Returns. I mean, no one will be talking about LR at all if Versus gets shown again (not that the press will be talking about LR all that much to begin with during this particular E3, but you know what I mean).

I dunno... I still have some hope it'll be there, but trying to not get too excited yet.

I doubt they care.

I hope you're right. There's lots to be excited about for this E3, but the possibility of Versus being there is what is getting me pumped up the most.

Then this should really pump you up:

The hotlist for E3 Part I

Got excited when they were talking about "New Final Fantasy" and showed Versus trailer footage. Killed my hype a little when they started to talk about LR :p.

3BifFbg.gif

Edit: If I am not allowed to post a gif like that let me know Kagari so I can take it down.

P44

At this point, they probably just wanna get lightning returns out the door. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole XIII trilogy is their internal test of the faster sequel thing with regards to production and stuff.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
We shall see. I'm pretty sure it will sell less than XIII-2 regardless, seems like a waste to push it too hard. People who played first 2 and want another game don't need much exposure to realize it's coming out.

They are better off spending their marketing budget pushing FFX/X-2 HD-makes because they know fans actually like those.

FFX/X-2 costed so little – and will be bought only by fanatics – that doesn't make much sense wasting the budget on the marketing to reach consumers that you can reach without spending 1 euro. On the other hand Lightning Returns is a big AAA title that NEEDS a big marketing-push to sell, so expect them to go all out when the chances open.

We'll certainly see more of LR and probably have a show demo available, but I can't say I see them really pushing the game, at least in the west.

FF and XIII (and I add RPGs on home consoles too) are bigger in the west, thus I can't see why they should skip marketing here. Add also to this that both XIII-2 and LR especially are designed to appeal (gameplay-wise) more to westerns than japaneses and you know where the cash for marketing will go.

FFX/X-2 costed so little – its still a big AAA title – SE doesnt need to waste their budget on the marketing. On the other hand Lightning Returns is a title that will be bought only by fanatics and NEEDS a big marketing-push to sell, so expect them to go all out when the chances open.

Fixed.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best

Pfft...iconic.

Well, being the face of the downfall of the series, I guess you could call her iconic :p

HeelPower

There was. One of the alternate endings was actually a civil war between the splinter groups on Pulse. One group of people never truly let go of their old lives on Cocoon and so it makes sense that they'd huddle around it and bulid on top of old technology that was left over. They followed the Academy, and lived lives of relative leisure once technology advanced.

The other group decided to leave and set up a new life out in the wilds of Pulse. You see this group in the Archyltte Steppe, and the two groups grow hostile to each other over hundreds of years and become territorial. The Pulsian wilds tribe thought the Academy was trying to ressurect the Fal'cie and did not trust them (they kind of were, with Adam).

Yeah that's probably it.Actually that's a really good point that I never gave too much thought.

FFX/X-2 costed so little – and will be bought only by fanatics
wat ? ._. These games will be released to the vita as well.There is NO rpg even remotely close to the level of FFX on that handheld...you can count on almost everyone to buy it. Also you can expect a lot more of FF fans to buy FFX than LR.

I like you, Perfo, but.......

FFX/X-2 costed so little – and will be bought only by fanatics – that doesn't make much sense wasting the budget on the marketing to reach consumers that you can reach without spending 1 euro. On the other hand Lightning Returns is a big AAA title that NEEDS a big marketing-push to sell, so expect them to go all out when the chances open.

tumblr_mc99xdfMqw1riahmqo1_400.gif

you're trolling us. All of this time. You have to be. It's getting too extreme now to be real life. :p

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best

Implying LR only sales won't be from fanatics? wut.

Perfo

HeelPower

Hey Kagari..I just had a dream about FFX collection and in it the voices were redone as well ? is that possible ? Any hints about this ?(I love the old voices anyway)

What's the budget? I can only guess equal or more than XIII-2. And looking at the staff credits, that must have costed enough to consider it an AAA.

You're hate for this series is astonishing.

Why in the world would the budget be more than XIII-2?
XIII-2 pulled in less than half of the overall sales of XIII.

If I recall, XIII did around 6 million worldwide, where XIII-2 did around 2.5 mil worldwide.
Why would S-E make the third game more expensive?

Perfo

Why in the world would the budget be more than XIII-2?

Equal or more I've said. The upgraded engine and it being the grand finale suggests me this game is going to be more "Big" than XIII-2, marketing wise, design wise, graphics wise, budget wise.

That doesn't mean it's getting nowhere close to XIII or Versus' budgets. Even if... those budgets were wasted more on the development than not quality of their games. So I'm not that concerned.

Out of interest, what percentage of FF fans would you say wanted a return to the FFXIII universe, and Lightining in particular?

The one that bought XIII-2, more or less.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Equal or more I've said. The upgraded engine and it being the grand finale suggests me this game is going to be more "Big" than XIII-2, marketing wise, design wise, graphics wise, budget wise.
That doesn't mean it's getting nowhere close to XIII or Versus' budgets. Even if... those budgets were wasted more on the development than not quality of their games. So I'm not that concerned.

It's not by a long shot.

That doesn't mean it's getting nowhere close to XIII or Versus' budgets. Even if... those budgets were wasted more on the development than not quality of their games.

You might be right. Stranger things have happened.
However, aren't there rumors that they just dumped most (if not all) of LR's development off on Tri-Ace?
That leads me to believe S-E upper-management didn't care enough about it to push the full strength of Kitase's A-team to do it themselves.

ins0mnia

Out of interest, what percentage of FF fans would you say wanted a return to the FFXIII universe, and Lightining in particular?
It seems like most people I've seen on GAF and other places are pretty vocal about their dislike of XIII/Lightning, so it's hard to get an accurate count.
That said, she is pretty popular in Japan, despite the overall controversies of the series.

count me in for more Lightning

HeelPower

What's the budget? I can only guess equal or more than XIII-2. And looking at the staff credits, that must have costed enough to consider it an AAA.

You forgot about XIV:ARR ?...Now that's a giant that NEEDS a lot of marketing push.They will probably focus on it more and for good reason.

Perfo

I'll be playing it in 11 days so I'll let you know.

Toriyama-san will share that on their new opened youtube channel ("S-E presents") so we'll see together :p

You forgot about XIV:ARR ?...Now that's a giant that NEEDS a lot of marketing push.They will probably focus on it more and for good reason.

ARR is getting alot of push and it'll get even more by getting closer its release. But August is near – and summer, LR's momentum will be builded up soon after it.

Does Kitase even have an A-team anymore?

Production Development 1 (or whatever they are called now).
I'd imagine most of them were either tossed into Versus development right after XIII released, XIV:ARR to help finish it, or right into XV or XVI. Maybe spread thin and tossed into all of the above?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Production Development 1 (or whatever they are called now).
I'd imagine most of them were either tossed into Versus development right after XIII released, XIV:ARR to help finish it, or right into XV or XVI. Maybe spread thin and tossed into all of the above?

Many of the staff working on XIII went to XIV, yes.

Perfo

Many of the staff working on XIII went to XIV, yes.

And considering ARR's development is basically finished from a couple of months, probably they're now all on LR before moving into the next big AAA title they're cooking.

Mother of god: hype.

Top Bottom