• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns starts to appear in Los Angeles

Verendus

Banned
She's the most famous and recognizable FF character in the series, she'll be in many games for the years to come. KH, Dissidia Next, Itadaki ect. – you can count on that.
Yeah, no. Gonna disagree there. Pretty confident Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aeris, Tidus and Yuna are all more recognisable and famous FF characters in general. The first two are pretty much the only iconic figures from the series.

Shinta

Banned
I think people forget that there's an actual game at the heart of this conversation, with a revised battle system, tons of armor customization options and color customization, day night cycles, HD towns, an OST from 3 all star composers and more open environments.

Most of the people complaining the loudest in these threads are going to be getting the game, after spending all their energy convincing everyone else not to.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
For the record outside of things like Chocobo's and whatnot. GILGAMESH has been in the most FF games in the series. Going by him being the same character. Cid isn't viable as each Cid is different.

Of course one can argue Cid of the Lufaine is technically in every one as the eyes of the player but still.

RPGCrazied

Thankfully, her last year.

Don't give them any ideas. :( What if there will be a FF XIII-3, since this has a subtitle. And they did say it was the end of her story, so we could see games for Snow, Sazh, Hope? I really do hope this is the end.

Takuya

Banned
ku-xlarge.jpg

Yes!

redcrayon

I think people forget that there's an actual game at the heart of this conversation, with a revised battle system, tons of armor customization options and color customization, day night cycles, HD towns, an OST from 3 all star composers and more open environments.

Most of the people complaining the loudest in these threads are going to be getting the game, after spending all their energy convincing everyone else not to.

Hmm. Nope, bought X-III, got burnt, didn't buy XIII-2, won't be buying XIII-3. Just the knowledge that Lightning is in it automatically reduces my interest level to practically nonexistent.

As long as they build and improve upon XIII-2 gameplay formula while adding some new stuff to the mix and a degree of challenge; I think it'll turn out pretty good. I've said it before but Lightning as a character really doesn't do much for me but I could see why she has her followers and that's cool; however if they were going to take inspiration from a previous character they should've copied Tifa, love me some TIFAH.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Don't give them any ideas. :( What if there will be a FF XIII-3, since this has a subtitle. And they did say it was the end of her story, so we could see games for Snow, Sazh, Hope? I really do hope this is the end.

The next XIII game will be entering a seed of resurrection from Drakengard encompassing the
unholy union of Lightning, Serah, a legion of Yeul's and Lumina to create the ultimate life form known as Etro Reborn also named Spark

:I

Reskinned battle system with a new gimmick, armor customization by way of dumbed down job classes derived from X-2, OOH COLORS, Majora's Mask day/night cycles, towns where I can't go in all the houses, a soundtrack from people I've never heard of, and large open wastelands which is a evolution of closed narrow corridors.

Emitan

I don't think they will be getting the game unless it's cheap. I'm really excited for what they're doing with the gameplay but the writing is going to be fucking awul just like the first two XIII games :/

Emitan

The next XIII game will be entering a seed of resurrection from Drakengard encompassing the
unholy union of Lightning, Serah, a legion of Yeul's and Lumina to create the ultimate life form known as Etro Reborn also named Spark

:I

Reskinned battle system with a new gimmick, armor customization by way of dumbed down job classes derived from X-2, OOH COLORS, Majora's Mask day/night cycles, towns where I can't go in all the houses, a soundtrack from people I've never heard of, and large open wastelands which is a evolution of closed narrow corridors.

This is pretty common in video games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea these have been up for at least the past couple weeks surrounding the convention center downtown. Even seen some large bus ads as well.

Funnily enough, there are lots of FFXIV a REALM REBORN!! ads as well. Square is really pushing that one too in downtown LA.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah, no. Gonna disagree there. Pretty confident Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aeris, Tidus and Yuna are all more recognisable and famous FF characters in general. The first two are pretty much the only iconic figures from the series.

Yeah I forgot to mention "after sephi and cloud", sorry. I don't agree on the rest though.

And where did they get the day and night cycles from? Oh right they just copied and pasted from Versus code. Definition of lazy.

The main thing that is holding me back from being excited about Lightning Returns (besides just being tired of the XIII series) is the whole countdown thing. I didn't like Majora's Mask for that very same reason. I just don't like time limits in games in general, though, and I don't like feeling rushed.

I just find it weird/stupid that they finally give us a big open world to explore, and then throw on a time limit. Yeah, that's just what people who love exploring every nook and cranny love. -_-

To be fair, we don't know exactly how the countdown/timer works (unless I've missed some news), so it might be easy to stockpile a lot of 'time' and explore as much as I want to, but until then, I remain skeptical.

And where did they get the day and night cycles from? Oh right they just copied and pasted from Versus code. Definition of lazy.

I don't think that's very fair. Versus isn't the first game to have a day/night cycle, and unless you have proof they copied/pasted the code from Versus...

Shinta

Banned

I guess it bears mentioning that this is made up, and has zero confirmation, but ... Now you guys hate LR because it's like Versus, the game everyone seems excited for? These threads are so dishonest. Just a bunch of people desperately searching for things they can claim to hate so they can be popular on here. Then they're going to quietly buy the game and play it.

The main thing that is holding me back from being excited about Lightning Returns (besides just being tired of the XIII series) is the whole countdown thing. I didn't like Majora's Mask for that very same reason. I just don't like time limits in games in general, though, and I don't like feeling rushed.

I think that's a totally fair concern. I'm not a big fan of time limits either. I hope they manage it somehow, but it remains to be seen.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll just find a livestream of LR and experience it the way Kitase would have wanted it to be experienced.

Character driven narrative.

Shinta

Banned
I'll just find a livestream of LR and experience it the way Kitase would have wanted it to be experienced.

Character driven narrative.

If the game sucks as much as you say, why even watch the livestream? Wouldn't it just be easier to admit that parts of the game interest you so you can play it for yourself?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If the game sucks as much as you say, why even watch the livestream? Wouldn't it just be easier to admit that parts of the game interest you so you can play it for yourself?

There's a bridge in the game and it seems rather large. I can't justify a purchase unless I know my hero of Final Fantasy is in it.

I think that's a totally fair concern. I'm not a big fan of time limits either. I hope they manage it somehow, but it remains to be seen.

Hopefully we'll get some more information about it during E3. My mind goes to the worst possible situation where I'd be desperate for time and not be able to explore the world which is a big turn off. I'm sure it won't be quite that bad, but I guess we'll see.

PshycoNinja said:
Here you go.

There's another article that goes into more depth what they took from Versus. (Hint: it was more then just the Day/Night cycle)

Just give me a minute to find it.

Hmm, I wonder what all they took from Versus. I don't really see that as a bad thing, though. A Day/Night cycle is something cool, and I wish more games had it. Maybe it's 'lazy' to just use some of the code (if that truly is what they did), but I'm pretty sure every other dev out there reuses code from their previous games and builds on it. So yeah, I don't really see how that could be a bad thing.

HeelPower

I love her and I love her character.lightning remains a great character to many.Her character is nuanced and goes through many phases over the games.Lightning is a remarkable female character.

That being said ,I understand why you guys might be frustrated.

Veronica

Banned
I love her and I love her character.lightning remains a great character to many.Her character is nuanced and goes through many phases over the games.Lightning is a remarkable female character.

That being said ,I understand why you guys might be frustrated.
SE employee.

I guess it bears mentioning that this is made up, and has zero confirmation, but ... Now you guys hate LR because it's like Versus, the game everyone seems excited for? These threads are so dishonest. Just a bunch of people desperately searching for things they can claim to hate so they can be popular on here. Then they're going to quietly buy the game and play it.

Just because you add tech from Versus doesn't make the game automatically better. Tech was never a problem for the XIII games anyways. It has always been level design, characters and story that have always been the big problem for the XIII series.

It's not like Versus. It wishes to be like Versus hence why they're taking technology.

It's not made up as I have provided a link above with the CTO of Square Enix saying so himself.

It's not about "popularity". Your just so defensive and can't accept other people's opinions. You get upset when people crack a joke. That in of itself tells me you take this way too seriously and are being way too defensive.

If something sounds bad you lash out at people and tell them they're wrong. How is that a discussion?

I won't buy this game. I guarantee it. I am not one to say I am not going to buy something and then turn around and buy it. I said I wasn't going to buy DmC and I didn't. In my 20 years of gaming, the only game I ever caved into saying I wouldn't buy it was Assassins Creed Brotherhood. That was because I hated the first and didn't play the second. After playing the Beta on PSN a friend let me borrow 2 and I loved that game. I have actually been burned by Toriyama's games more then once. I am not jumping into the fire this time.

Midou

I hope she dies at the end, and the universe explodes so it's impossible for anyone to go back in time and save her. Well if the universe explodes we can assume she dies anyways I suppose.

But uh.. yay e3!

Shinta

Banned
Just because you add tech from Versus doesn't make the game automatically better. Tech was never a problem for the XIII games anyways. It has always been level design, characters and story that have always been the big problem for the XIII series.

It's not like Versus. It wishes to be like Versus hence why they're taking technology.

It's not made up as I have provided a link above with the CTO of Square Enix saying so himself.

I hadn't seen that, so thanks for the link. I still don't see how that is anything other than a good thing.

It's not about "popularity".

Oh, it absolutely is lol. It's so obvious.

Your just so defensive and can't accept other people's opinions. You get upset when people crack a joke. That in of itself tells me you take this way too seriously and are being way too defensive.

If something sounds bad you lash out at people and tell them they're wrong. How is that a discussion?

The only people lashing out here are the endlessly negative complainers. It's such projection and role reversal to claim otherwise.

I won't buy this game. I guarantee it.

So I won't be reading any complaints from you about LR once it comes out? I'm totally fine with that. I can promise you that won't be the case for many of our all-star complainers in this thread.

I hadn't seen that, so thanks for the link. I still don't see how that is anything other than a good thing.

Oh, it absolutely is lol. It's so obvious.

The only people lashing out here are the endlessly negative complainers. It's such projection and role reversal to claim otherwise.

So I won't be reading any complaints from you about LR once it comes out? I'm totally fine with that. I can promise you that won't be the case for many of our all-star complainers in this thread.

I will be at E3. I will be at the Square Enix booth. I am positive I will have a few comments about the game regardless if its positive or negative.

Ninjimbo

I'm still confused as to how the battle system is going to work. Am I going to be directly controlling Lightning on the field or will I just be issuing commands? The battle in the XIII-2 DLC was pretty cool, but I really want to have a more action-oriented battle system. The series needs to abandon turn based combat. It is time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
1 dimensional, no impact, no real redeeming qualities about her besides being a female version of Cloud. She is by far one of the worst. She's constantly being a bitch and acting emo and i was over it.

Lets not forget the one liners... like seriously..

Thats unfair to Cloud. He had way more character than Lightning.

Top Bottom