• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin! - State of Play Sep 2022 Announcement Trailer | PS5/XS/PS4/X1/PC

EDMIX

Did they say something new? AFAIK they never said they were skipping Kenzan. Last February, Sato said that to bring Ishin and Kenzan to the west, they would have to make them remakes (Kiwami Editions) instead of ports and I think the demand was higher for Ishin as the most recent spin-off release plus being possibly easier to rebuild than Kenzan. Otherwise, they've always talked about them together.

Localization Producer said they will do what Japan wants to do and it's just been a matter of finding time and space.

Agreed, so it sounds like its a matter of when and not if.

Did they say something new? AFAIK they never said they were skipping Kenzan. Last February, Sato said that to bring Ishin and Kenzan to the west, they would have to make them remakes (Kiwami Editions) instead of ports and I think the demand was higher for Ishin as the most recent spin-off release plus being possibly easier to rebuild than Kenzan. Otherwise, they've always talked about them together.

Localization Producer said they will do what Japan wants to do and it's just been a matter of finding time and space.
Just seems ass backwards to me to do the more recent game first and the older game later.

Kenzan seems like the more interesting game to me, I want a Yakuza game set in the past, not something based on historical fact, that seems too... constraining I guess? Doesn't help that the game assumes you already know everything about what it's based on.

I remember hearing about Kenzan when it first came out and have been wanting to play it ever since, I didn't know Ishin was a thing till later.

YukiOnna

Just seems ass backwards to me to do the more recent game first and the older game later.

Kenzan seems like the more interesting game to me, I want a Yakuza game set in the past, not something based on historical fact, that seems too... constraining I guess? Doesn't help that the game assumes you already know everything about what it's based on.

I remember hearing about Kenzan when it first came out and have been wanting to play it ever since, I didn't know Ishin was a thing till later.
I think it makes sense since it's the most recent title that fans and newcomers would be aware of and from the developer side it's probably a bit easier to bring over.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me whichever they bring over. Both are equally interesting, and either way, they've proven they'll bring every single RgG game over so something for everyone.

EDMIX

Maybe, it could also be that Kenzan as a remake has more development time as it might not be as easy as Ishin to remake. Remember, Ishin was also a PS4 game, Kenzan was not.

Like RE, they have many teams working on the IP, so its likely you'll see Kenzan regardless as I doubt they'll stop porting, remastering or remaking Yakuza titles any time soon. If they can remake a PS2 game, they can remake a PS3 game lol I simply thing bringing over a PS4 title was much easier vs PS3's cell. So it will likely take more time and they want to see if folks want that type of setting.

Last edited:
For me it's just like Assassin's Creed, they're all very good games, but they look and play pretty much the same, at least with AC you do get new maps and new countries to explore, you don't even get that in Yakuza, but like with AC I end up buying them all LOL

Fo o me, Ishin coming to the west is just trying to cash in on Ghost of Tsushima. I much rather SEGA make a brand new action game based in Japan, than remake an old PS3 game, which for me wasn't that great, to begin with...

I was hoping with Nagoshi gone, some creativity would be back I guess I have to hope it will come from the other teams.

YukiOnna

Famitsu interviews published with Sakamoto and Yokoyama on the 3 games, so here's some details for Ishin Kiwami and Kenzan:
- Many fans wanted to see a remake for Ishin and the demand for it alongside westerners not being able to play Ishin and Kenzan is what lead them to Ishin Kiwami
- If they were to remake Kenzan, too, they will likely change parts of the storyline. Particularly the finalewould completely change
- Assuming there was a Kenzan Kiwami, it would cost the most development wise and require a lot of motivation from the development team to do
- They chose UE4 because its strength is in depicting daytime scenes and natural scenery while the Dragon Engine specializes in nighttime cityscapes and isn't great at daytime portions
- Combat has been fine-tuned and changed quite a bit in the remake
- As an example, guns have been nerfed since a max upgraded gun could sweep through battles in the original
- While the cycle of doing the battle dungeon to acquire mats to enhance equipment is the same, there's more variety in the synthesis of weapons and items
- New karaoke songs have been added
- New substories have been added
- Tutorial has been redesigned so it's easy for newcomers to the franchise to jump in

Last edited:
Top Bottom