• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

Not looking good for Sony

• Lack of launch day exclusives
  • No CD support
  • No mp3 support
  • No DLNA support
  • No external storage support
  • No bundled camera
  • No Youtube
  • Pay for online play
  • DS4 light bar causes glare on TV screens
  • DS4 thumb sticks disintegrating after hours of use
  • White light of death (probably wide spread)
  • Console plastic is thin and can easily be punctured
  • Console wobbles (disc scratching inevitable)
  • CoD now probably confirmed at 720p!
    [*]No Super Mario Bros or Zelda

I forgot some things in my list

• Can't use AA batteries with DS4
  • Really cheap bundled headset
  • Knack getting horrible reviews
  • No HDMI pass through
  • Day 1 console patch!!?? (lazy)
  • Sony pushing their music service on you (don't fall for it!)
  • Only about 400GB of usable HDD space (you'll need to buy a bigger drive)
  • Limited supply, (most people will be screwed and not get one for a long time)
LOL! That one single bolded line explains both of these dumb ass posts.

Uthred

Actually, having redacted my initial concerns.....it's lopsided before he presses down on it. Pressing on the back left corner levels it out. Wtf? I'll assume that's a one-off and it's missing a foot or something.

Looks like the tables on a slant, OMG SLANTY TABLES! Or perhaps poorly framed GIF's shouldnt be treated as reliable sources of information?

I already commented on this in the original thread but there better be something wrong with that table. If my PS4 doesn't lay flat I'm going to go crazy. I know for sure that if my system bricks Sony will fix it but will they treat that issue like it's a defect or not?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89694600&postcount=17

Marcel

People just want to know if this is just the standard new tech defect rate or if we are looking at RROD levels of disfunction.

And chances are you won't know until the hardware actually launches. But until then, on with the fearmongering!

Marleyman

Banned
Taco bell gave away about 4k ps4's if I recall right? 4 public cases out of 4000(granted there's possibly more cases that aren't being report) would not point to an absurdly high failure rate yet.

Anyone else here @ GAF win one that can report in?

The_Lump

Banned
Look at the gif again. It's not a big deal.

Yes it is if it doesn't sit straight on it's own, which is what that gif seems to show. I think you're mistaking it for sitting straight, then when he pushes on the corner it tips. Look closely: before he touches it, the front right hand corner is closer to the table than the left (ie its lopsided). When he pushes the corner it tips to a more level position. When he lets go it falls back to lopsided.

Again, might just be one off and probably is (or his table is wonky). But I wouldn't be happy if mine did that.

Looks like the tables on a slant, OMG SLANTY TABLES! Or perhaps poorly framed GIF's shouldnt be treated as reliable sources of information?

Not what I'm saying. See above.

Boke1879

I'm getting tired of the word isolated.
DS4 has issues, hopefully it's Isolated
HDMI port is flakey, hopefully it's isolated
PS4 bricked, Hopefully it's isolated.

Has it ever occured that these consoles are rushed and will guarantee a problem once received? I'm actually worried.

Dude it's a launch console. There are bound to be some that have issues. The thing is this incident doesn't seem to be HW related. Like someone posted earlier. You produce millions of these things for a certain deadline there WILL be some duds. PS3 had it, 360 had it, Xbone will have it.

If you're that worried i'd cancel the preorder now and just wait.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Freak outs are happening because there have been multiple reported issues and the console isn't officialy out yet. People just want to know if this is just the standard new tech defect rate or if we are looking at RROD levels of disfunction.

You do realize electronics anywhere and everywhere have a small percentage fail rate, right?

Satchel

Banned
What the fuck with these controllers man.

Firs the shitty analog rubber, the R1 getting stuck, now this? No wonder Sony just rehashed the original Dualshock for so many years.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
well theres this:

Is that a Sony authorise fix for the problem. You wouldn't want to invalidate the warrantee.

This clearly is a non issue. I can't believe folks are getting worked up over this.

remix-push.jpg
Push it real gooood!

HA HA HA HA HA

They are shipping a ton of units. There will be a defect rate. Social media just makes the reports stand out more than we heard in previous launches.
Ya, this is an important point. For every person getting a defective console there will be dozens of Facebook messages leading to hundreds of tweets and thousands of Youtube comments before it hits forums and blogs.

well theres this:
Perfect solution!
Looking at it head on it really looks flat...until you press down the left side.

I thought the same at first but you can clearly see in the gif that the system isn't laying flat even before he touches it. That's why I'm saying that the table had better be off-kilter or something. My poor OCD isn't going to survive this :'{

The_Lump

Banned
Perfect solution!

I thought the same at first but you can clearly see in the gif that the system isn't laying flat even before he touches it. That's why I'm saying that the table had better be off-kilter or something. My poor OCD isn't going to survive this :'{

That's what I'm seeing too.

A damn shame about your console OP.

This unfortunately not surprising me.

We went to Berlin last month on vacation, they had a PS4 Demo in their Saturn super store. Unfortunately I couldn't try it because it died on them after two days according to the clerk.

I did get an image of it though and the controllers were really nice.

At that point I decided to preorder it as close to home as possible even though it would cost me an ekstra $100

SYHwAUjl.jpg

N.Domixis

Banned
What the fuck with these controllers man.

Firs the shitty analog rubber, the R1 getting stuck, now this? No wonder Sony just rehashed the original Dualshock for so many years.

lol I cant wait to see your reaction come launch for the xbox, we all know there will be faulty systmes. Curious as to how you will react.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You're kidding right?

I can PM you a pic of my. Pre order receipt. This isn't concern trolling. It's genuine concern mainly based off that DS4 thread.

I have not heard one issue regarding that. If you want to choose to overreact then that's on you but I have asked for months on issues with the controller and never has that came up.

As I said in a separate thread, this happened with my DS3 but it was because I spilled pop in it on accident. The R1 button kind of stuck until I took it apart and cleaned it.

So the degree of how to take it should come from your own hands on and not some isolated issues.

lifa-cobex

I'm getting tired of the word isolated.
DS4 has issues, hopefully it's Isolated
HDMI port is flakey, hopefully it's isolated
PS4 bricked, Hopefully it's isolated.

Has it ever occured that these consoles are rushed and will guarantee a problem once received? I'm actually worried.

If Sony or ANY company released a shit tone of faulty units, they would be in very deep trouble.
Of course things don't always work when received.
Go look up reviews for tv's, speaker, receivers etc. You will guarantee find one or more persons saying his/hers was fucked out the box.
stop fretting
Shit happens. I bought a monitor years ago that blew up days later. Another person reported the same thing. It didn't mean that everyone's was going to.
Get a grip!

Ppl throwing a wobbly about Wobbly PS4....
Wtf! Are you people going to be serving drinks on the things!?
Its going to be sat down wherever you put it while you play games. wtf are ppl on

Chinner

Banned
after the RROD situation this is something that we should be aware of, but a percentage of all electric goods will be broken shamefully. see what happens!

flkraven

Let the hyperbole begin. My God.

And chances are you won't know until the hardware actually launches. But until then, on with the fearmongering!

You do realize electronics anywhere and everywhere have a small percentage fail rate, right?

This isn't hyperbole or fearmongering, so don't immediately dismiss my comments as such. I merely stated why there has been a minor freakout about this issue: "People just want to know if this is just the standard new tech defect rate or if we are looking at RROD levels of disfunction."

Clearly I am aware that there is a small percentage fail rate (I said that myself). This could be just that. But don't discount the fact that there are only a small percentage of consoles in peoples hands right now, and they've only been used for a handful of hours and this issue has popped up in a few spots. Again, this could be nothing, but it is definitely something to keep an eye on...

It lies flat, you're just seeing shadows.

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6cjcB085s
I've resolved either way not to freak about this. Even though it was meant as joke solution I'll just make a fourth leg out of a piece of paper if mine wobbles like the one in the gif.

I know that we're in the midst of system wars and all but people should keep in mind that sometimes stuff like this legitimately bothers other people as opposed to trying to score points for the other team :/

foxbeldin

We know that a percentage of PS4 will fail out of the box, or hours/days later.

I just want to know if the rate is high and i selfishly don't want mine to.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This isn't hyperbole or fearmongering, so don't immediately dismiss my comments as such. I merely stated why there has been a minor freakout about this issue: "People just want to know if this is just the standard new tech defect rate or if we are looking at RROD levels of disfunction."

Clearly I am aware that there is a small percentage fail rate (I said that myself). This could be just that. But don't discount the fact that there are only a small percentage of consoles in peoples hands right now, and they've only been used for a handful of hours and this issue has popped up in a few spots. Again, this could be nothing, but it is definitely something to keep an eye on...

I agree. As a consumer who has bought electronics for decades it's always something I look at when I get the product. I also understand that other units may have some issues but that has rarely been the case with stuff I buy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not looking good for Sony

• Lack of launch day exclusives
  • No CD support
  • No mp3 support
  • No DLNA support
  • No external storage support
  • No bundled camera
  • No Youtube
  • Pay for online play
  • DS4 light bar causes glare on TV screens
  • DS4 thumb sticks disintegrating after hours of use
  • White light of death (probably wide spread)
  • Console plastic is thin and can easily be punctured
  • Console wobbles (disc scratching inevitable)
  • CoD now probably confirmed at 720p!
    [*]No Super Mario Bros or Zelda

WTF? o_O Are you serious?

I've resolved either way not to freak about this. Even though it was meant as joke solution I'll just make a fourth leg out of a piece of paper if mine wobbles like the one in the gif.

I know that we're in the midst of system wars and all but people should keep in mind that sometimes stuff like this legitimately bothers other people as opposed to trying to score points for the other team :/

It will wobble when you press on the glossy side. It was, as pointed out, designed that way, most likely to make it look nicer when put in the upright position. It will not, however, look uneven.

Top Bottom