• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Dear lord. Please tell me the number of defect units will be small.

3btRFQl.jpg

It will be small, my child.

The_Lump

Banned
It's amazing how many GAFers are seemingly completely oblivious to the idea of a cantilever design.

I understand the design perfectly, I'm saying the gif is showing it not sitting flat to start with, as below:

BIldC0j.jpg

(He's not pushing down on it at this point). Look at the bottom right front corner, now the left. That's what we're seeing, not that it wobbles when he pushes it. He pushes on it and it levels out actually.

His table might be wonky, or his console is missing a foot, OR I might be mistaken of course but I wish people would read the posts correctly before assuming it's just more hyperbolic overreaction.

Even if it is wonky I don't care enough to not buy mine. I'm there day one either way.....just pointing out it's lame if it's true.

Sweep14

So, 4 units reportedly broken for more than 4000 thousands in the wild

So that's.... 0.1% failure rating...

Am I calculating this right ?

foxbeldin

Well you're only counting those we know about so i don't know if we should be worried.

When it comes to electronics, failure rate is considered acceptable when < 3%

Bailers

I agree its a statistically insignificant number, but still sucks when you're the blip.Especially for those that got it early. I'd be a sad panda if it were me.

blackflag

LOL no because most people probably aren't all over social media posting about it. So you'd have no idea if it's larger.

Hoping this is an isolated incident, but the comments attacking the OP are kind of sad/funny. What reason would he have to lie? This is only one incident, but it kind of reminds me of when people started getting RROD last gen and people were saying 'well, it didn't happen to me so it must not be an issue.'

Again, hopefully it's just an isolated incident.

dejay

Banned
Now next gen has begun. Dat next-gen coffin.

Sorry for your troubles OP.

This is why I've pre-ordered both new consoles. The law of averages says they can't both be fucked. Right?

nded

Sucks, but it's bound to happen. Any batch of electronic devices will have a certain number of duds, especially at launch. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a common problem for PS4 owners.

Dunlop

This is a little concerning as I ordered online and would have to deal with Sony directly if I have any problems.

Sony support in Canada is fuck awful

Begaria

That's extremely sucky that this happened to you. At least you were proactive about it and got Sony on the horn ASAP. Still, I hope this isn't a widespread problem similar to RROD on the 360. I don't think Sony has the capital to squash that caliber of a fuck up like Microsoft has.

Rey

Great job till now.
Now go contact the other 3996 people and report back to us.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Stuff like this is so stupid, we have no idea yet if this is a thing or not, but saying .1% failure rate is stupid. How many haven't been used? How many haven't been reported? How many have been reported, but not recognized yet. We'll find out in the next week or so if this is a problem.

Savitar

That's the one big issue with launch consoles, a number of them will fail.

One of the biggest reasons I had waited a bit for the previous generation since console failures seemed to increase.

Vizzeh

Banned
After playing a brief game of NBA 2k14 I quit and inserted my battlefield 4 disk. The system prompted for an update, so while watching the progress bar (Around 20%) my controller light turned from blue to white. Hasn't worked since...

Get those extended warranties ready! and SCEA on speed dial!

**UPDATE**
Went thru a number of "fixes" with customer service and none of them worked. They are shipping me a box to get the unit serviced.
Safe Mode on the console no longer works.

**UPDATE** 2

For shits and giggles, swapped the hard drive for a fresh one, that also didn't work.

Sorry to hear all this trouble.

Kind of sucks that you have to send it away for repair... If we buy it from "GAME" in the UK, they will immediately swap the console if its within the year warranty, they deal with the console....atleast thats how it worked last gen

Alienous

Shit, this isn't good.

How many TacoPS4's are there in the wild? How many of those people would post online, at places like Reddit or NeoGAF?

What's the failure rate of these things. God damn, I don't feel good about this launch.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fucking shit at tons of people being a dick to OP.

Remind me not to post and ask for help if anything should ever happen to a Sony gaming device of mine, jesus christ

flkraven

Factoring in that there may be units we don't know about? And the fact that this is with barely any use, basically right out of the box? Then this is about right.

Zee-Row

Banned
This happened to me when I bought a launch PS3 , except that it was completely dead and the light didn't turn on when you flicked on the back switch. I took it back to Best Buy and got a new one and it lasted me until 2 months ago when I sold it.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study/1100-6216691/

Launch system failure rate in 2 years from launch this gen:

Xbox 360 23.7%
PS3 10%
Wii 2.7%

I really hope these new systems don't end up with numbers like even the 10% of PS3's. And nobody better fucking give us that 23.7% failure rate again.

Can't see it. Off the shelf tech and a longer hardware cycle.

This will likely be a weird software glitch rather than a hardware issue.

Top Bottom