• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

All launch day buyers are beta testers, smart buyers wait until the next year for a newer revised version.

Not really, because launch day buyers still have a warranty and will get any future firmware updates. What's the fun in waiting? I'll be enjoying my PS4 while you act paranoid and don't have one.

welcome to the party, bro.

So glad I decided not to get a launch console. Gonna be very interesting to see how widespread this problem is.

Weak. Just weak.

Jarnet87

I was contemplating getting extended warranty for awhile, with my luck it would be stupid not to get it. My PS2 broke, my PS3 broke, 2 of my 360s broke, at some point my ps4 is going to break.

Anyone know what Gamestop is charging for the extended warranty?

revotron

I was contemplating getting extended warranty for awhile, with my luck it would be stupid not to get it. My PS2 broke, my PS3 broke, 2 of my 360s broke, at some point my ps4 is going to break.

Anyone know what Gamestop is charging for the extended warranty?

I'd like to know this as well, I actually just payed off the rest of my PS4 at Gamestop and at no point did they try to sell me an extended warranty.

panda-zebra

Banned
Got my wobble-free pre-order in:

ps4desk.png

Tratorn

There are thousands of PS4s out there and we have 4 or 5 reports of defects.
And now some people here are already talking about 360 failure rates...

RaikuHebi

Banned
OP did you try plugging it out, plugging it back in and then trying safe mode/recovery mode?

Perhaps the issue is related to the PS4 being in a low-powdered always on mode?

johnny956

I'd like to know this as well, I actually just payed off the rest of my PS4 at Gamestop and at no point did they try to sell me an extended warranty.

Not sure. I'm getting mine through SquareTrade. $54 for 3 years (2 beyond the 1 year standard warranty). There are plenty of coupons online so I'll be getting it for under $40.

Respawn

Banned
After playing a brief game of NBA 2k14 I quit and inserted my battlefield 4 disk. The system prompted for an update, so while watching the progress bar (Around 20%) my controller light turned from blue to white. Hasn't worked since...

Get those extended warranties ready! and SCEA on speed dial!

**UPDATE**
Went thru a number of "fixes" with customer service and none of them worked. They are shipping me a box to get the unit serviced.
Safe Mode on the console no longer works.

**UPDATE** 2

For shits and giggles, swapped the hard drive for a fresh one, that also didn't work.

I think its your fault and you should know better.

Damn bro that sucks. Hope you get a speedy replacement. Will take your advice and get a warranty
]

Lol @ you all, the same thing can happen with anything you buy!!!

There will always be a fault with any product!!

Hence the reason apple genius is constantly rammed!

NIGHT-

Glad I decided not to get a launch console. Gonna be very interesting to see how widespread this problem is.

Yea, I went with my gut feeling and decided to wait for next year to get either console. They both seemed rush to the market, so problems are bound to happen

T.O.P

Banned
If something happens to my X1 at launch i'm probably gonna cry like an hysterical bitch

Hope you can get it back asap OP!

Warewolf

Damn dude, I hope you can get that taken care of pronto. For what it's worth though, give it a second round of trouble shooting. I was looking to see if you'd posted anything else on this and I get the impression you spend a lot of time talking to tech support.

Hang in there.

Glad I decided not to get a launch console. Gonna be very interesting to see how widespread this problem is.

Same. I was going to hold off until Destiny/Watch Dogs released regardless, but depending on how the launch goes (specifically in regards to hardware) I may hold off a bit longer.

MissingString

Neo Member
what is the acceptable and realistic failure rate for this kind of things

Assuming this article is accurate, the 360 had a failure rate as high as 1 in 4 and PS3 was around 1 in 10. Apparently the Wii was built like a brick as only 2% of those things failed.

Then again, that could be because most of them spent their entire lives in standby mode.
Kidding!

I don't know how that compares to average consumer electronics but even 10% seems like an awful lot. If the PS4 failure rates fall within that range though, Sony will at least have been consistent.

velociraptor

Not really, because launch day buyers still have a warranty and will get any future firmware updates. What's the fun in waiting? I'll be enjoying my PS4 while you act paranoid and don't have one.

welcome to the party, bro.

Weak. Just weak.
This. This is what the console warranty is for.

Service on a brand new console? You should get a new one!

This, is it normal practice to service a defective item that is a day old?

If the OP purchased the PS4, could he return it to the store for a replacement? That's how it is in the UK just wondering about the US.

Ricker

There are thousands of PS4s out there and we have 4 or 5 reports of defects.
And now some people here are already talking about 360 failure rates...

Let's hope it's not the case for sure...are the 4 or 5 reports caused by the same problem(didnt read the whole thread yet)...if there is something in common already,then start to be scared now people.

Mastamind

Meanwhile, some gaming sites continue their marathon PS4 live streams, some for 12 hours straight, without any "technological issues."

Didnt kotaku say their first unit didnt work. While i hope its not widespread, we likely wont know for a week or two. More importantly i hope mine doesnt have any problems, gotta stream me some crunchyroll.

http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231

Aside from all this online stuff, there's one other awkward detail that I can't accurately assess at this moment. It's this: the first retail PS4 we got from Sony didn't work. Now, please, don't panic. It's impossible to tell how much of a fluke this was or whether this is the canary in a coal mine of pending PS4 hardware troubles.

My 60GB fat blu ray drive died after 2 years or so. I'm never buying launch again. Although I do feel just by looking at the thing and the internals that the PS4 is much better made than the OG PS3 was.

Top Bottom