• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like the sun, NeoGAF's life will eventually end. But when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Obama as our ally, we will live on forever.

CeMnoZOVIAAjYQP.png

Speevy

Banned
My guess is that it will die when Evilore either doesn't want to do it anymore or it starts eating into his savings.

Erheller

When Gaffers learn how to tip.

You don't think there is an indie gaming presence on Neogaf?

That New Yorker "Best Video Games of 2015" thread was amazing because a lot of people couldn't accept that other people might like indie games. There are a lot of people on GAF who like indie games, but there are also a lot of people who think that they're all 8-bit garbage that no one should touch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157435

Hasn't the traffic here been going down for a while? I seemed to remember GAF being a top 1000 site on the internet (like around 800 or something) when I first came here and now I think it's fallen past 2000. Don't quote me on that though.

I do occasionally find myself dreaming about a GAF with a brand new snazzy website with a bunch of cool features and a mobile site that has complete feature parity.

Yes. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/neogaf.com

hn17WvA.png

Spikes at E3 of course. But gaming news is pretty non-existent till then

That's interesting. I wonder why that is?

I don't know.

But it's weird to think that I've been posting here for ten years.

Will I be posting here for another ten? Man I don't even want to think about that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's most likely that GAF would die due to some sort of changes to the ad network(s) the site uses.

Terms change or something, the site becomes too expensive to run, and we're done.

when Evilore enters neogaf into the NYSE and loses everything....and then it's bought by a certain "chartz" site

...I come from the future

TheMan

Someone, somewhere, will start a new forum that attracts lots of big name game developers. I think Neogaf used to be that way, but nowadays you don't see big names post here regularly (they might, but they don't make themselves known). The forum will start out as an insider secret hotspot that will eventually become known to wannabes and the curious and they'll flock to the forum like they do to Neogaf today. Neogaf will slowly shrink until only the diehards are left, but eventually, they too will drift into the ether and Neogaf will go out with a wimper.

Reddit is still a terrible "forum" that is based on popularity. I have yet to see proper discussions happening there, it's the equivalent of Youtube comments sections to me. It's not really comparable to NeoGAF.
Depends of the subreddit of course. r/gamedev and r/indiegaming are good. But those are the only ones I really frequent anyway

Someone, somewhere, will start a new forum that attracts lots of game developers. I think Neogaf used to be that way, but nowadays you don't see big names post here regularly (they might, but they don't make themselves known). The forum will start out as an insider secret hotspot that will eventually become known to wannabes and the curious and they'll flock to the forum like they do to Neogaf today. Neogaf will slowly shrink until only the diehards are left, but eventually, they too will drift into the ether and Neogaf will go out with a wimper.
TIGSource already exists. Minecraft, Fez, Papers Please, Rain World, and a lot more all started there

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
NeoGAF's traffic and unique visitors are still increasing YoY, like every year since its inception. It also arguably has more credibility than ever in the video game sector. Alexa rank variations all have to be taken with a giant grain of salt since they're just based on Alexa toolbar users. When you see a sharp decline coinciding with something like a Gawker layout change disaster you can attribute more confidence to what you're seeing on their graph, and you can use order of magnitude differences in site rankings as a general gauge of site popularity, but otherwise even something like 50% +/- variations can be completely out-of-ass. Only site owners and any third parties they specifically give their metrics to actually have real data. We're totally fine traffic-wise. The direct competition has mostly crashed and burned over time. And so far, sites like Reddit can't seem to obsolete the experience here for gaming discussion, though I'm always keeping tabs on what other sites have done well, why they've died, and what can be gleaned from each case study.

Moving forward? There has been a big shift to mobile usage on NeoGAF as of late, which makes sense, so more emphasis will be put toward refining the mobile experience. I have several improvements slated for the desktop site as well this year. Mostly QoL stuff.

Concerns? Not traffic, rather that adblock rates on desktop-gaf are getting to severe levels (>65% and climbing) considering how minimally the site is monetized as it is, so that'll have to be addressed somehow without compromising user experience or my design philosophies if the site is to remain viable in the years ahead.

A massive internet forum Civil war kinda of like what happened to the escapist forum.

As to what topic could do that, I have no idea.

A new video series by Anita Sarkeesian?

Ecotic

Neogaf could die when it makes a big mistake like IGN did many years ago and lost most of their userbase. IGN had too many boards splitting the userbase.

I think the most likely cause would be Neogaf's ban policy. I've been here over 10 years and I've noticed it's really hard to build a sense of community and continuity when the ban policy is so strict that this place loses meaningfully contributing members who had been here for 5+ years but made a fatal mistake. Often they were among the best and most experienced voices on a particular subject. Other new users who could have matured into good members got a permaban when they were juniors. I wish there could be more forgiveness short of a permaban.

NeoGAF's traffic and unique visitors are still increasing YoY, like every year since its inception. It also arguably has more credibility than ever in the video game sector. Alexa rank variations all have to be taken with a giant grain of salt since they're just based on Alexa toolbar users. When you see a sharp decline coinciding with something like a Gawker layout change disaster you can attribute more confidence to what you're seeing on their graph, and you can use order of magnitude differences in site rankings as a general gauge of site popularity, but otherwise even something like 50% +/- variations can be completely out-of-ass. Only site owners and any third parties they specifically give their metrics to actually have real data. We're totally fine traffic-wise. The direct competition has mostly crashed and burned over time. And so far, sites like Reddit can't seem to obsolete the experience here for gaming discussion, though I'm always keeping tabs on what other sites have done well, why they've died, and what can be gleaned from each case study.

Moving forward? There has been a big shift to mobile usage on NeoGAF as of late, which makes sense, so more emphasis will be put toward refining the mobile experience. I have several improvements slated for the desktop site as well this year. Mostly QoL stuff.

Concerns? Not traffic, rather that adblock rates on desktop-gaf are getting to severe levels (>65% and climbing) considering how minimally the site is monetized as it is, so that'll have to be addressed somehow without compromising user experience or my design philosophies if the site is to remain viable in the years ahead.

I've been sitting at my desk with NeoGAF open and somehow managed to end up on NeoGAF on my phone. Refining the mobile experience is music to my ears, lol.

Would you ever offer a subscription for NeoGAF [GAF Gold joke goes here], if AdBlock became too prevalent?

Also, do you think NeoGAF using the Robot9000 format would help or hinder gaming discussion (provided something like that is even possible)?

Don't think it will die, the ownership may change hands at some point, then it won't be as good as it used to be. All the old timers will reminisce about the good ol' days and how it used to be good and no longer funny, informative or whatever you get from it now.

So basically it's going to go the route of The Simpson's.

try and find a Simpson's pic for that.

Parch

Supreme Leader Trump will create a techno virus that will destroy any site that he considers "anti-american". Just a small part of the Make America Great final solution.

Audioboxer

With Obama as our ally, we will live on forever.

CeMnoZOVIAAjYQP.png

This isn't a shop? Amazeeeeee.

A wild EviLore appears <3 Thanks for the stats and please don't ever leave or sell us Dad.

Also increase the GAF Gold sub price. It's been frozen too long.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't think internet forums like this are going anywhere. they aren't as popular as they once were but still a lot of people still do use them. neogaf is still active so i don't see why it would disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom