• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santar

I've never bought any of the Limited Run Games releases before, but would absolutely buy Yakuza 5 if that came to pass.
I just with there was a less stressful way of securing a copy than the "wait for when items is on sale and pray to the heavens you manage to get one before they're all gone" drill.

We had a very brief discussion with some SNK folks at GDC but it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Definitely something we want to do. It would be awesome if we could figure out how to make some Vita sized shockboxes...

Vita shock boxes would be the most awesome thing ever. And if you ever managed to secure any of the SNK games that'd be a big win, I love SNK's series (especially Fatal Fury, KOF and Metal Slug) and would hoover up any physical Vita releases of their games no doubt.

Vita shock boxes would be the most awesome thing ever. And if you ever managed to secure any of the SNK games that'd be a big win, I love SNK's series (especially Fatal Fury, KOF and Metal Slug) and would hoover up any physical Vita releases of their games no doubt.

SNK games on Vita is a match made in heaven, with those glorious d-pad and screen

How about some SNK classics? I would love having a physical Metal Slug 3

Oh hell yes.

Also, there's no limits to what I'd give for a *new* Metal Slug Anthology on Vita & PS4 that includes Metal Slug 7 & XX, has better emulation, optimization and options, full trophy support etc like the standalone release of 3. I know the time has passed, but geyatdamn, a man can dream about games and physical releases.

Megauap

So...

CONFIRMED

- Oddworld New N' Tasty (PS4/Vita - April)
- Futuridium LP (PS4/Vita - May)
- Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Volume (Vita - ???)
- Y2K (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Soldner X2 (Vita - ???)
- Rainbow Moon (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Lost Sea (PS4 - ???)

RUMORED

- Octodad (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Skullgirls 2nd Encore (PS4/Vita - ???)

Is this list confirmed?

We would love to go after things like,

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!)
Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

So yeah let us know if you'd legit buy these titles.

I would seriously buy everyone you mentioned. Just hope they wouldn't sell out in minutes. =/

Hobbun

This is the first I’ve heard of LRG and really love what they are doing. Just noticed them when seeing Rainbow Moon, Soldner and Lost Sea physical releases announced on EAS site.

Signed up an account on LRG as I really do want to purchase RM for the PS4.

A couple of questions, do they have instruction manuals for all the games they print? Also looking into Odd World: New ‘n Tasty. And how quickly do these games usually sell out?

This is the first I’ve heard of LRG and really love what they are doing. Just noticed them when seeing Rainbow Moon, Soldner and Lost Sea physical releases announced on EAS site.

Signed up an account on LRG as I really do want to purchase RM for the PS4.

A couple of questions, do they have instruction manuals for all the games they print? Also looking into Odd World: New ‘n Tasty. And how quickly do these games usually sell out?

A lot of our future releases will have manuals, it's entirely up to the developer though.

Thanks for the response. :)

Will Odd World have a manual?

And how quickly have these games sold out?

Oddworld only has a health/safety flyer but it's still a special release because it has all the DLC on disc. Definitely worth picking up if you're on the fence!

Our releases typically sell out in a few hours, though Oddworld has a significantly bigger run than other games we've done. Rainbow Moon's run size has not been announced yet, but there should be enough to go around.

All the Eastasiasoft games will have really nice full color manuals (including the Vita ones).

Hobbun

Oddworld only has a health/safety flyer but it's still a special release because it has all the DLC on disc. Definitely worth picking up if you're on the fence!

Our releases typically sell out in a few hours, though Oddworld has a significantly bigger run than other games we've done. Rainbow Moon's run size has not been announced yet, but there should be enough to go around.

All the Eastasiasoft games will have really nice full color manuals (including the Vita ones).

Yes, I think I will definitely give Oddworld a shot.

What is the status of Cosmic Star Heroine? I remember it being announced back in October of last year, but still no date yet (on your website) on release.

Yes, I think I will definitely give Oddworld a shot.

What is the status of Cosmic Star Heroine? I remember it being announced back in October of last year, but still no date yet (on your website) on release.

The current release schedule is between June-August as they want nothing to do with black hole that will be FF15. Outside of that though there is nothing firm.

idolminds

Neo Member
As a big fan of the series I would instantly buy a physical Yakuza 5. I have no other hope of playing the game (my home internet is terrible, can't possibly download it.)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Every time this topic gets bumped (aka every day) I keep checking in hopes that some Koei Tecmo news will pop up.

SNK games on Vita is a match made in heaven, with those glorious d-pad and screen

Agreed. I enjoyed the Metal Slug 3 port so much on the Vita and I absolutely can't wait for Last Blade 2 either (one of my favourites). I'd go nuts if Real Bout Special got a Vita port down the line (I love Garou, but I love RBS just that bit more).

Oh well, I've got my alarms all set for next Monday ready to try and get Oddworld, fingers crossed I grab a Vita copy!

marcincz

As a big fan of the series I would instantly buy a physical Yakuza 5. I have no other hope of playing the game (my home internet is terrible, can't possibly download it.)
I would buy one, too.
I have only 60gb hdd in PS3 so it would be the best option for me. Besides I have each Yakuza game on my shelf.

Oh well, I've got my alarms all set for next Monday ready to try and get Oddworld, fingers crossed I grab a Vita copy!
I am not going to buy new Ratchet game, because of this, so better will be if I grab my copy on next Monday. Right LRG, right? :)

YIIK-Double.png

any idea when this is dropping?

I am sure there are all sorts of realities about doing small physical runs of games that I am not accounting for, but any reason you guys don't take pre-orders over a period of time (say a few days) and then base your run numbers around that? Seems way better than trying to predict demand, and from our perspective needing to watch out for a limited time window of hours can be a drag.

Hobbun

I just finished reading all 64 pages of this thread. And I will admit, when reading over the days of the sales for Breach & Clear and especially Saturday Morning RPG, it was very scary on how quickly they sold out.

But I am not going to sit and and try to tell LRG how they need to change their business model. However, I will say I am a bit concerned in getting the copy I want. All I want is one, and (mainly) all I want is PS4. But when reading over the day for the SMRPG release, what I am concerned about is the website and whether we will get the right information.

I would see people indicate "Sold out!" (for PS4) but then posts later people indicating they bought their PS4 copy.

To LRG, you mentioned you were going to talk to the company that handles the sales on your website. Did you do so and has it been ironed out where we won't get misinformation.

I just don't want to be sitting there at 10 a.m. EST and then it tells me 30 seconds into release and making my purchase that Oddworld is sold out, but it really isn't.

That said, I am definitely of the physical crowd and really appreciate what you are doing!

c-murph

I just finished reading all 64 pages of this thread. And I will admit, when reading over the days of the sales for Breach & Clear and especially Saturday Morning RPG, it was very scary on how quickly they sold out.

But I am not going to sit and and try to tell LRG how they need to change their business model. However, I will say I am a bit concerned in getting the copy I want. All I want is one, and (mainly) all I want is PS4. But when reading over the day for the SMRPG release, what I am concerned about is the website and whether we will get the right information.

I would see people indicate "Sold out!" (for PS4) but then posts later people indicating they bought their PS4 copy.

To LRG, you mentioned you were going to talk to the company that handles the sales on your website. Did you do so and has it been ironed out where we won't get misinformation.

I just don't want to be sitting there at 10 a.m. EST and then it tells me 30 seconds into release and making my purchase that Oddworld is sold out, but it really isn't.

That said, I am definitely of the physical crowd and really appreciate what you are doing!

Yeah, that's my biggest worry too. Pretty sure that shit is going to happen and I'm going to be rather pissed.

Shizuka

I just think that the numbers should've increased according to the demand from both past projects. The Vita numbers are the same, despite Oddworld being a bigger name than SMRPG.

I am sure there are all sorts of realities about doing small physical runs of games that I am not accounting for, but any reason you guys don't take pre-orders over a period of time (say a few days) and then base your run numbers around that? Seems way better than trying to predict demand, and from our perspective needing to watch out for a limited time window of hours can be a drag.

They've detailed it a few times in this thread. The hysteria of it all really just helps create a sales frenzy and keeps the excitement high, which illustrates incentive for prospective developers.

c-murph

I just think that the numbers should've increased according to the demand from both past projects. The Vita numbers are the same, despite Oddworld being a bigger name than SMRPG.

I guess it all depends on how much the developers/publisher are willing to spend and if they have the available funds. Probably a good chunk of change to get all these physical discs made.

They've detailed it a few times in this thread. The hysteria of it all really just helps create a sales frenzy and keeps the excitement high, which illustrates incentive for prospective developers.

That doesn't really conflict with what I said, though, does it? If anything, it allows them to orchestrate it even more by having a kill switch when desired. The way it is now they are forced to leave the availability window open until the allotment is sold through. Meaning if they predicted poorly the frenzy is more like a wet fart.

LRG foots the bill, not developers or publishers.

The developers still have a say in print run size. If they want it to be super limited, ultimately that will be on them. In any case, between Futuridium and Oddworld we tapped out all of our funds. There was no way we could have produced more if we wanted to. :(

The Vita copies were well over twice as expensive to manufacture as the PS4 copies. Doing more would have meant significantly sacrificing the PS4 run. Since PS4 has the DLC, we felt alloting more to that was a sensible move. It took around 6 hours to sell out of SMRPG on Vita, so Oddworld *should* last at least an hour total. The 10AM batch will probably go faster than the 6PM batch.

That doesn't really conflict with what I said, though, does it? If anything, it allows them to orchestrate it even more by having a kill switch when desired. The way it is now they are forced to leave the availability window open until the allotment is sold through. Meaning if they predicted poorly the frenzy is more like a wet fart.

This might be unfounded, but I have a fear that open preorders will ultimately move less units of a game than a strictly limited release. If we find a developer that is willing to take the chance and prove this theory wrong, we may try open preorders and see how things go.

We also don't feel like we have the customer service bandwidth to do preorders yet. People send us emails a few hours after ordering to ask why their stuff hasn't shipped yet. I can't imagine how many emails we'd get if people had to wait a month or more for their games to ship. The thought of that makes me want to throw up.

TLDR: Don't rule out a preorder guinea pig run in the future. If it goes well we may do it more often.

Hobbun

Is it Doug from LRG posting right now? Did you see my question above? I'll repost it again:

I understand your games sell quickly, that's the whole point of them being limited. I just hope the website doesn't keep me from purchasing the game because it reads as "Sold Out" when it really isn't.

Also, to all interested in Rainbow Moon. I posted on Eastasiasoft's website in trying to get a general idea how many copies of Rainbow Moon PS4 we will see, and they said it would be less than 5000, but wouldn't say if it is well below or just.

I really hope it is close to 5000 with how fast these games sell out. I wouldn't be so concerned about purchasing games if it was a situation of "If you are here when the sales open up, you will get a copy without an issue. It's trying to show up an hour or two later is where you have the problem." The issue is, this isn't the case as games are selling out minutes after the sales open up and there are those who sit at their computer right there from the beginning and don't get a copy. That is what concerns me.

...and when a game gets insufficient pre-orders due to a lack of hysterical "get it now" + "so rare" feeding frenzy, the developer pulls out due to apparent lack of interest, and other devs see that as a sign to avoid? Many who are already leery of physical retail? I'd rather get these games than not, and that requires a confluence of fans, collectors, and even scalpers who actually show up to the one night only, VIP event. This has been hashed out in the thread a lot. Considering they've successfully created a frenzy for modest games people might otherwise only want to pay $1-5 for, and gotten a lot of devs on board, I don't think overproduced "wet fart" is going to happen. I think pre-orders would work for something like Yakuza 5, but for indies that aren't meme/amiibo status it's the hype that compels them.

This might be unfounded, but I have a fear that open preorders will ultimately move less units of a game than a strictly limited release. If we find a developer that is willing to take the chance and prove this theory wrong, we may try open preorders and see how things go...

Thanks for the response. I appreciate what you guys do.

...and when a game gets insufficient pre-orders due to a lack of hysterical "get it now" + "so rare" feeding frenzy, the developer pulls out due to apparent lack of interest, and other devs see that as a sign to avoid? Many who are already leery of physical retail? I'd rather get these games than not, and that requires a confluence of fans, collectors, and even scalpers who actually show up to the one night only, VIP event. This has been hashed out in the thread a lot. Considering they've successfully created a frenzy for modest games people might otherwise only want to pay $1-5 for, and gotten a lot of devs on board, I don't think overproduced "wet fart" is going to happen. I think pre-orders would work for something like Yakuza 5, but for indies that aren't meme/amiibo status it's the hype that compels them.

I personally don't see the difference in "there are only 1,500 of these" and "this is only available for 24 hours", they are both exploiting a limitation of availability. But my brain also doesn't work this way. I don't give a shit how many other people have the precious thing I have.

If this is the thing LRG has found to make their business work, then good on them. Looks like they are willing to experiment from their above statement if a dev is willing.

I personally don't see the difference in "there are only 1,500 of these" and "this is only available for 24 hours", they are both exploiting a limitation of availability. But my brain also doesn't work this way. I don't give a shit how many other people have the precious thing I have.

I don't care either, but I understand why and how it works anyway.

Is it Doug from LRG posting right now? Did you see my question above? I'll repost it again:

I understand your games sell quickly, that's the whole point of them being limited. I just hope the website doesn't keep me from purchasing the game because it reads as "Sold Out" when it really isn't.

Also, to all interested in Rainbow Moon. I posted on Eastasiasoft's website in trying to get a general idea how many copies of Rainbow Moon PS4 we will see, and they said it would be less than 5000, but wouldn't say if it is well below or just.

I really hope it is close to 5000 with how fast these games sell out. I wouldn't be so concerned about purchasing games if it was a situation of "If you are here when the sales open up, you will get a copy without an issue. It's trying to show up an hour or two later is where you have the problem." The issue is, this isn't the case as games are selling out minutes after the sales open up and there are those who sit at their computer right there from the beginning and don't get a copy. That is what concerns me.

Unfortunately it's a communication delay between Shopify's servers and the front end. Not really sure how it works but they said it isn't easily fixed. One of the reasons this was rampant on SMRPG was because the soundtrack bundle had low inventory to begin with. This issue only rears its head when inventory flies *super* fast. On Oddworld it is more likely to occur on Vita than PS4 due to the lower quantity available. I hope it doesn't occur, though, and inventory lasts a decent while.

c-murph

Unfortunately it's a communication delay between Shopify's servers and the front end. Not really sure how it works but they said it isn't easily fixed. One of the reasons this was rampant on SMRPG was because the soundtrack bundle had low inventory to begin with. This issue only rears its head when inventory flies *super* fast. On Oddworld it is more likely to occur on Vita than PS4 due to the lower quantity available. I hope it doesn't occur, though, and inventory lasts a decent while.

Ugh, I'mma gunna try a buy both (PS4/Vita) and some more protective sleeves. Hopefully, no issues...

Hobbun

Being Oddworld and that is quite a bit more well known than SMRPG it most likely will happen again. That's a shame Shopify can't fix it apparently.

Fortunately I will be purchasing the PS4 version.

Prelude.

So, I just signed up in preparation for tomorrow. Just to be sure, can I simply pay with paypal and that will give them all my info they need or will I need to enter my address and stuff?

So, I just signed up in preparation for tomorrow. Just to be sure, can I simply pay with paypal and that will give them all my info they need or will I need to enter my address and stuff?

I just check out via paypal. Quick and easy for me. Don't have to spend extra time entering address details etc. at checkout.

Prelude.

I just check out via paypal. Quick and easy for me. Don't have to spend extra time entering address details etc. at checkout.
Alright, cool. Some stores still make you input your details even if you use paypal so that's good.

Still not completely sure I'm gonna buy it, though. It's kinda hard to justify €40 for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom