• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lindsay Ellis: Pocahontas Was a Mistake, and Here's Why!

Wanderer5

Oh hell yes I am so checking this out later.

I wasn't really that big on Pocahontas, through it still has a nice style and a couple memorable songs.

Goofalo

It was a product of it's time I think. So, I give it a little slack for that. But not so much as to not fault Disney for being lazy and not choosing a less...complicated story. Mulan was the same way. The original Mulan story was much more gnarly, but at the time, I was happy to see an Asian Disney story anyway. (And no, Lion King/Whateverthefuck anime it ripped off doesn't count. People, not animals.)

kirblar

I remember the outrage back then. You just didn't have social media so it was an easy issue for Disney to ignore.
Yup. Eyebrows were very much raised at the time. The movie also brought their streak of critical/commercial animation hits to a screeching halt and began a way more mediocre period.

I like the analysis especially after watching Moana for the first time a few days ago and seeing how much better they told the Pocahontas story. I liked it as a kid but realized as I got older just how problematic that movie is in almost every aspect

Yup. Eyebrows were very much raised at the time. The movie also brought their streak of critical/commercial animation hits to a screeching halt and began a way more mediocre period.

Which is too bad, as the soundtrack may have been Alan Menken's peak, and has stunning artwork/animation.

As others have said, it was also somewhat a product of its time. Something I often think about with "evergreen" films, where we might still expose our children to them as a classical work, yet the films might contain hurtful stereotypes, intolerance, etc.

DeathyBoy

Banned
She said she had it on good authority that Snyder hates his mother... A week after mothers day. I guess got into am argument after that and posted this https://mobile.twitter.com/DCcomicsfan020/status/866541825103941634/photo/1 (she deleted the tweet I think)

Then said it was just a dude thing: https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/866474872834281472

Basically just talking shit. I enjoy her analysis though.

Why do people double down on their stupid shit?

jwhit28

When the movie came out it did have the nice effect of making Native American history more popular at our school. Our field trips that year were to Native American museums and trails, and we read the actual story of Pocahontas.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The cartoon movie really shouldn't have been made.

She said she had it on good authority that Snyder hates his mother... A week after mothers day. I guess got into am argument after that and posted this https://mobile.twitter.com/DCcomicsfan020/status/866541825103941634/photo/1 (she deleted the tweet I think)

Then said it was just a dude thing: https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/866474872834281472

This is some dumb shit. People enjoy the DCU, regardless of gender or race. I don't understand why they enjoy the actual universe, but they do.

When the movie came out it did have the nice effect of making Native American history more popular at our school. Our field trips that year were to Native American museums and trails, and we read the actual story of Pocahontas.

Yeah, as with most things it had it's positives and negatives. I enjoyed Pocahontas and loved the song Colors of the Wind.

Yeah, I'm guessing she has a lot to say about the movie. I'm glad my sister didn't like it that much.... I hated the music and even as a 9 yo kid learning about colonialism at the time, it just seemed too romanticized to me.

Why do people double down on their stupid shit?

I don't know... Especially Lindsay. She seems like she has a good head on her shoulders.

The cartoon movie really shouldn't have been made.

This is some dumb shit. People enjoy the DCU, regardless of gender or race. I don't understand why they enjoy the actual universe, but they do.
I mean, I like it for what it is (good and bad, except nothing can excuse second half of SS), but I don't go and act like I'm Snyder's prophet. If you don't like the universe, cool. Shouldn't make dumb, personal jokes and them double down on it.

I agree Pocahontas shouldn't have been made.

Love her stuff and this topic is one I've wanted to see her tacklefor a while, so am hyped.

She's not wrong about any of that, though. Some Snyderverse fans are hypersensitive as fuck. It's probably just a product of loving something the entire rest of the world is screaming is idiotic dogshit, but it's there.

Ahh cultural appropriation. Always reminds me of travelling through the U.S. and stopping at Paddy O' Donnels Irish Pub.

On the menu was "Potatoes O'Brien"

Also "Juan O'Donnell's quesadillas"

Juan was touted as their Mexican cousin.

jman2050

It's crazy to think that this movie was supposed to be their big tentpole franchise to follow up on Beauty and the Beast's success. Can you imagine a world where development of The Lion King never gets off the ground and this is what we get as Disney's next film after four years of waiting?

EDIT - I keep forgetting Aladdin was after Beauty and the Beast for some reason.

kirblar

It's crazy to think that this movie was supposed to be their big tentpole franchise to follow up on Beauty and the Beast's success. Can you imagine a world where development of The Lion King never gets off the ground and this is what we get as Disney's next film after four years of waiting?

EDIT - I keep forgetting Aladdin was after Beauty and the Beast for some reason.
Isn't it Little Mermaid/BB/Aladdin/Lion King then Pocohontas, where everything derails?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Love her stuff and this topic is one I've wanted to see her tacklefor a while, so am hyped.

She's not wrong about any of that, though. Some Snyderverse fans are hypersensitive as fuck. It's probably just a product of loving something the entire rest of the world is screaming is idiotic dogshit, but it's there.

She was called out on it not just being white people who liked BvS, and went "shrug, just guys then." And then ignored women who replied.

Should've just taken the hit instead of trying to change the goalposts.

Aikidoka

I think that this was a fairly interesting video.
A small criticism would be that she probably shouldn't have even brought up Blood Quantum theory if she wasn't going to devote effort to it.

I still quite enjoy the music from Pocahontas, but then again most of the music from the Disney renaissance was spectacular.

Not sure you'd really call this analysis a hot take when Lindsay's right about the movie its problems.

Isn't it Little Mermaid/BB/Aladdin/Lion King then Pocohontas, where everything derails?
Yes.

Hunchback, Hercules and Mulan which iirc each performed worse than their predecessor and Tarzan which did significantly better than Pocahontas but still nowhere near the B&TB/Aladdin/Lion King highs.

I will defend Hunchback to the death though. There's a 10/10 movie in there buried beneath the gargoyle schlock.

Also Rescuers Down Under which was released between Little Mermaid and B&TB and got zero attention from the studio.

Between Pocahontas and Tangled, Tarzan and Lilo & Stitch were Disney's only unquestionably successful films.

She was called out on it not just being white people who liked BvS, and went "shrug, just guys then." And then ignored women who replied.

Should've just taken the hit instead of trying to change the goalposts.

Still not wrong. She's not saying only guys like it, just that they are mostly the ones who activate bitchfest mode if you point out any flaw. From all existing evidence this is true.

Garlador

Pocahontas is a frustrating film because, yes, the film just isn't very good...

But good grief are the visuals beyond belief for a hand-drawn film.
tumblr_nenrarAyWT1skiltjo3_500.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ma9a03MpSe1rt5smro1_500.gif

I will defend Hunchback to the death though. There's a 10/10 movie in there buried beneath the gargoyle schlock.
Fast-forward past the Gargoyles and, yep, it's a masterpiece.

"Hellfire" alone justifies the whole film.

Lindsay is amazing. Watching now.

At minimum Pocahontas has amazing music, which is probably why it has had some staying power.

Yeah the songs and visuals and Pocahontas are still amazing. Probably my favorite set of songs from that era. It and the little mermaid were my favorites growing up. It was a shock going back to Pocahontas a few years ago and realizing it's glaring issues

Pocahontas is a frustrating film because, yes, the film just isn't very good...

But good grief are the visuals beyond belief for a hand-drawn film.

It has stunning animation and music. I love those two aspects of it so goddamn much. The merits of those two points carry the film for me and make it something I love. Even with it's other glaring faults.

Flawed and problematic? Sure. A mistake? Hell no.

Besides Colors of the Wind I thought it was kind of lacking in the musical department. I felt like Menken wasn't even trying. His work on Hunchback right after was incredible though, it's unfortunate how overlooked that movie is.

I don't know how to feel about the fact that Pocahontas and Moana are that similar.

As soon as the spiritual grandma thing happened I immediate started comparing them in my head. I liked Moana overall though even if it felt a little too straightforward. Zootopia was the better film for me even though Moana blasts it in the visual department

Top Bottom