• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux |OT|

is there a linux/unix thread? I'm attempting to run google music manager from a headless server (allowing music files downloaded to a seedbox to be automatically uploaded to google play music, essentially) but I am coming up short and I'm not sure where to ask for help
There is now ;)

:'( main desktop OS for 6 years now. I'm happy here, but I know the pain points.

I'll rant a little, but it's all in good fun :)

I guess I've just gotten to the point where I have the "I'm too old for this shit" attitude. I don't want to have to spend 30 minutes inventing some magical command line with 7 layers of pipes and the perfect utopian combination of obscure options that nobody's ever heard of just to get some shit done. I know I'm exaggerating, but just put a damn editor in front of me and GTFO of my way.

Speaking of editors, we need to talk vim. Are you fucking kidding me? I've learned how to use it somewhat, but jesus man. Talk about overengineered and overcomplicated mess. Like all an editor needs to be productive is syntax highlighting, code completion, block selection, cut & paste, and good support for search & replace. 12dd? seriously? who is going to count out 12 lines so that they know the exact amount they need to cut when you can just select the shit with your mouse in 2 seconds.

Just everything in Linux involves so much typing. I already type 130wpm but this shit wears me out. I want to click 2 buttons instead of type 30 characters.

Then there's the debugger. GDB, you suck. You don't just suck, you're actively harmful to the field of software engineering. You are responsible for an entire generation of engineers who actively try to avoid debuggers and still only use printf debugging. A proper debugger is like meeting your soul mate / love of your life that you connect with on another plane. It's a life changing experience that many will never have because their first one was an abusive drug addict who beat them and tortured them and so they've built a wall around themselves as a defense mechanism.

Ok, there we go :)

Now, like I said, whenever I need Linux help I'll be back. One day I'll be good at this damn thing :)

I remember this thread. This seemed less like a Linux system administration thread and more like a "you're new to Linux! What are the main distributions and what applications are available to you?" thread. The post quoted in the OP, for instance, should not be asked in that thread. More specifically, this is not a thread to post about experimenting with distros, aesthetics, or whatever.

thanks for making the thread. i'm not super familiar with linux but I have done a few basic projects before

Speaking of editors, we need to talk vim. Are you fucking kidding me? I've learned how to use it somewhat, but jesus man. Talk about overengineered and overcomplicated mess. Like all an editor needs to be productive is syntax highlighting, code completion, block selection, cut & paste, and good support for search & replace. 12dd? seriously? who is going to count out 12 lines so that they know the exact amount they need to cut when you can just select the shit with your mouse in 2 seconds.

line numbers solves your 12dd problem, or you could also use visual mode to highlight blocks at a time. i'm not a vim defender by any means, but after using it for a few semesters I sorta came around. learning the hotkeys/shortcuts isn't fun, but after adjusting and finding that I never had to take my hands off the keys I got pretty fast and started respecting it a bit more. I get your points completely though, still unsure how I'd compare to using a mouse.

anyways, i'm at work so I can't really play around with my issue posted in the OP, but essentially I wanted to run google-musicmanager on a headless server. I've tried this solution here but I don't have much experience with xvfb. the script runs without issue... but the musicmanager does absolutely nothing and I'm not sure how to monitor what's going on

peakish

Best part of vim is ci{ and all similars.

But I don't code in vim itself anymore, I use editors with vim-like bindings. Best of both worlds!

Mr.Mike

KDE is really nice now. I remember it had a reputation for being bloated, but using it now it feels very responsive and looks very nice. GNOME in comparison was very unresponsive. I'd say KDE feels and looks better than Windows while GNOME still feels and looks worse.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
What's your go-to lightweight Linux distro for older systems? I'm currently using Lubuntu 18.04 on an older notebook and I'm happy with it.
What about daily use distro? I'm currently using Mint 19, Cinnamon.

Top Bottom