• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lips track list revealed

saunderez

pilonv1 said:
Australian exclusives:

Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn
Missy Higgins - Scar
Shannon Noll - Shine
Olivia Newton-John - Magic
Silverchair - Straight Lines
Men at Work - Be Good Johnny
John Farnham - You're the Voice
Wow....Gotta say I'm impressed. I've already got Singstar PS3 but I'll be picking this up for sure, that way I only have to cart the 360 around to parties.

legend166 said:
So the whole "use your own songs" feature is pretty much worthless?

Not quite.

It's useful if there are songs you absolutely love and know the lyrics to.

I'm really hoping though that they will patch in lyrics support, or talk about what is going on with it. All we have are two videos, and basically a press release or two. Nothing concrete on "Feature X will be in a patch."

saunderez

Iced_Eagle said:
Definitely. I'll be throwing my The Living End collection on and screaming at the top of my lungs, that's for sure.

icecream

Public Health Threat
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Because now it's nothing different than singing aloud at home to your stereo or in the car?

Iced_Eagle said:
But not so useful when you want a friend to sing with you and they may not know the lyrics as well as you do.

Yup, and that's the trade off. For now, with no lyrics, both you and your friends need to know the lyrics.

If you don't, they can always do the side "instruments" and you can make an ass of yourself all by yourself. Or else if someone knows the lyrics, they can just shake the mic and join you.

I mean sure it's not the best solution, and I'm hoping it gets added in with a free patch, but it's definitely something that's still pretty cool.

*Edit* Also, Steven & the Colberts is totally going to get played. I will also enjoy singing Rick Roll to people :lol

*Edit2* Oh, and a perfect song to use for the custom songs will probably be Bohemian Rhapsody. A lot of people know those lyrics from my experience.

Jim said:
Makes sense actually... I bet that's the song that plays everything you think you unlock something new. :p

Proposals to make the song pop up randomly after a certain number of plays to unlock it were shot down :(

Manabanana said:
Proposals to make the song pop up randomly after a certain number of plays to unlock it were shot down :(

That would have been fucking awesome :lol

Would have been in the top 10 hall of fame for epic rick roll.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
pilonv1 said:
Australian exclusives:

Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn
Missy Higgins - Scar
Shannon Noll - Shine

Dear god. It's like a worst of Australian music list.

No Morcheeba and The Hives love here, huh?

cjelly said:
How long has SingStar been out? Does it also come with 2 sexy wireless mics, or is that still a pipe dream? Not trying to start shit.
I agree about the wireless mics. Wireless mics >>> songs already in Singstar. But sexy? Really? To me they look pretty dull, except for the blinking part on the bottom, for which I wouldn't really use sexy as an adjective.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
By the way, last year, a Sony rep made mention to me that wireless mics were coming for Singstar PS3, has this been scrapped?
Those were announced a long time ago. Then there were some reports on "problems" with the bluetooth mics and then there was a whole lot of nothing.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The tracklist is very boring IMHO. The only tracks I look forward to singing are:
Queen "Another One Bites the Dust"
The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated"
The Jackson 5 "ABC"
Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire"
Weezer "Island in the Sun"
Young MC "Bust a Move"

And I'm not too crazy about the wireless mics yet. I have Scene It still in my memory, which was a Buzz-clone with wireless controllers that had massive issues (buttonpresses not being registered and even complete loss of signal). I fear another wireless debacle like that in Lips, the Singstar-clone with wireless mics. The wired mics that came with SingStar are not too bad, the cords are long enough to do your thing, you don't have to worry about batteries and there is little to no chance you lose the connection with the console.

soco

icecream said:
Because now it's nothing different than singing aloud at home to your stereo or in the car?

But not so useful when you want a friend to sing with you and they may not know the lyrics as well as you do.

it's a few steps above singing along to the stereo since most people can't hear themselves out of tune and will still get judged.

it's not gonna work for multiple voice parts anyway, so unless you just wanna sing the same parts, the latter isn't a huge deal, although it'd probably be a hell of a lot more fun if people just made up their own lyrics or you got to laugh when they thought they knew the lyrics and didn't...

icecream

Public Health Threat
soco said:
it's a few steps above singing along to the stereo since most people can't hear themselves out of tune and will still get judged.
The judging will likely be flawed because the algorithm for calculating the vocals from songs will not be perfect anyway. The fun was definitely more in being able to sing your own songs with others. The game is really now just a Singstar clone and nothing more.

soco said:
so unless you just wanna sing the same parts, the latter isn't a huge deal,
I also take it you've never been to a Karaoke bar.

38 I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers

Oh crap!! Drunken Keraoke game of the forever confirmed.

Unless 500 Miles has been in some other game before, I don't keep track of these things. If it has, ignore this post.

reminder

German version:

2raumwohnung - "36 Grad"
Ace of Base- "The Sign"
Alicia Keys - "No One"
Avril Lavigne - "Complicated"
Beyoncé - "Irreplaceable"
Blondie - "Call Me"
Chris Brown - "With You"
Coldplay - "Yellow"
De Randfichten - "Lebt Denn Dr Alte Holzmichel Noch...?"
Depeche Mode - "Personal Jesus"
Dido - "White Flag"
DJ Ötzi (feat. Nik P.) - "Ein Stern (…Der Deinen Namen Trägt)"
Duffy - "Mercy"
Fettes Brot - "Emanuela"
Fool's Garden - "Lemon Tree"
Johnny Cash - "Ring Of Fire"
Kaiser Chiefs - "Ruby"
Kylie Minogue - "Love At First Sight"
Leona Lewis - "Bleeding Love"
Maroon 5 - "Makes Me Wonder"
Modern Talking - "You're My Heart, You're My Soul"
Morcheeba - "Rome Wasn't Built In A Day"
Nena - "99 Luftballons"
Nirvana - "In Bloom"
OOMPH! - "Augen Auf!"
Peter Bjorn And John - "Young Folks"
Peter Schilling - "Major Tom (Völlig Losgelöst)"
Pohlmann - "Wenn Jetzt Sommer War"
Queen - "Another One Bites The Dust"
Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees"
Ramones - "I Wanna Be Sedated"
Reamonn - "Supergirl"
Rihanna - "Umbrella"
Roger Cicero - "Frauen Regier'n Die Welt"
Roland Kaiser - "Santa Maria"
Roxette - "Listen To Your Heart"
Seal - "Amazing"
The Jackson 5 - "ABC"
Xavier Naidoo - "Dieser Weg"
Yvonne Catterfeld - "Erinner Mich Dich Zu Vergessen"

Edit: Added Youtube links of the exclusive songs. Have fun. ;)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
$70, really?????? wtf?? This better be sold on it's own, better be less than $60, and better work with wired mics, otherwise I have no interest in this. The track list is already over 75% cross over with my singstar songs.... gah.... there are like 2-3 songs on there I'm interested on (besides ones I already have)......gah.... might just end up passing, which would be a shame.. come on MS... $40 for standalone game and make it work with the like 5 USB mics I already have. I don't give a shit about motion bullshit.

reminder said:
German version:

Edit: Added Youtube links of the exclusive songs. Have fun. ;)
Thank you and thank god for european imports :lol .

neorej said:
And I'm not too crazy about the wireless mics yet. I have Scene It still in my memory, which was a Buzz-clone with wireless controllers that had massive issues (buttonpresses not being registered and even complete loss of signal). I fear another wireless debacle like that in Lips, the Singstar-clone with wireless mics. The wired mics that came with SingStar are not too bad, the cords are long enough to do your thing, you don't have to worry about batteries and there is little to no chance you lose the connection with the console.
If they suck, they suck - we'll see. But cords definetly suck, maybe not if you're singing solitary or with your partner but with more than two people (esp. the party modes) I always found the cords to be very bothersome and I never played Singstar alone or with just two people anyways.

That's a pretty awful list. They got some great artists but they got the wrong songs!

If it had Don't Stop Me Now, Losin my Religion, and Paranoid Android at least, it would be passable.

radjago

God's Beard said:
Why is the American list the worst one? No Jamiroquai or EWF = no sale.
Agreed. It reeks of safe choices. I think I'd go nuts if I had to listen to a whole night of those songs.

nli10

Dead Man Typing said:
Oh crap!! Drunken Keraoke game of the forever confirmed.

Unless 500 Miles has been in some other game before, I don't keep track of these things. If it has, ignore this post.

Singstar PS3 Vol 2.

Post not ignored as I just wanted to state that if any HighScoroki game figures out how to penalise people for not singing in the correct accent this should be the first track to be used.

Frankly with accents and lubrication this song always ends in hillarity. :D

soco

icecream said:
The judging will likely be flawed because the algorithm for calculating the vocals from songs will not be perfect anyway. The fun was definitely more in being able to sing your own songs with others. The game is really now just a Singstar clone and nothing more.

I also take it you've never been to a Karaoke bar.

the judging isn't going to be perfect -- that's obvious, but it's better than nothing for the songs it'll work on.

i've been to karaoke bars on plenty of occasions and most of the people i seen at them are just there for a good time and aren't taking themselves too seriously. everyone's there for the alcohol and a good laugh.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Lips' initial songlist is much better than Singstar's. Yes, there is some overlap (especially if you count the PS2 Singstars), but that is to be expected considering we're talking about karaoke. I'd say about 10 of those 40 songs are on Singstar, not the 90% that a previous poster was alluding to. What gives me hope with Lips is that we're seeing popular American artists that are not yet on Singstar. Beyonce, Chris Brown, Leona Lewis, Sheryl Crow, Dido... it seems Lips is more in touch with the American audience than Singstar, which is more Euro/Worldwide-focused.

parasight

Eggo said:
Lips' initial songlist is much better than Singstar's. Yes, there is some overlap (especially if you count the PS2 Singstars), but that is to be expected considering we're talking about karaoke. I'd say about 10 of those 40 songs are on Singstar, not the 90% that a previous poster was alluding to. What gives me hope with Lips is that we're seeing popular American artists that are not yet on Singstar. Beyonce, Chris Brown, Leona Lewis, Sheryl Crow, Dido... it seems Lips is more in touch with the American audience than Singstar, which is more Euro/Worldwide-focused.

FYI, Leona Lewis and Dido are not American.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Eggo said:
I would be that previous poster, and what I was "alluding" to was songs that I've already bought on SingStar, but to be fair I was actually more referring to songs that I already have in other games:

a-ha "Take on Me" SS
Nirvana "In Bloom" RB
Queen "Another One Bites the Dust" SS
Avril Lavigne "Complicated" SS
Beyonce "Irreplaceable" KRAIE
The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated" RB/SS
Blondie "Call Me" RB/SS
Coldplay "Yellow" SS
Duran Duran "Hungry Like the Wolf" RB/SS
The Fray "Over My Head (Cable Car)" SS
Young MC "Bust a Move" SS

So just over 25% of this disc is repeats.. out of what's left here are the songs I care about:

Aly & AJ "Potential Break Up Song"
Radiohead "Fake Plastic Trees"
Rascal Flatts "Stand"
Rihanna "Umbrella"
Roxette "Listen to Your Heart"
Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus"
Dido "White Flag"
The Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian"
The Jackson 5 "ABC"
Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire"
The Police "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"

And while I left 18 songs off of this list, I think it's pretty fair to say that there are plenty of songs on my list that are going to be left off of other people's favorites. So basically $70 for 11 songs!?!?!?!?!?!?

Note that I am not knocking the game. Not in the slightest actually. Just bringing up the plight that us SingStar owners, and more importantly singing game owners, are facing.

As far as having the better default track list than singstar... to each their own but IMHO they are about the same percentage of actual karaoke staples, moderately popular songs, and absolute crap. you could change out either setlist with either game and no one would probably no the difference.

Regardless, as a SingStar owner, MS' only chance of me picking this up is with USB mic compatibility and a standalone version of the game for under $50. Not a knock against the game at all, and for non-PS3 owners I highly recommend picking it up. For multi-system owners looking at Lips, I would still suggest SingStar now for the store and the community, but who knows where Lips will end up going. It could very well (and frankly very easily) take over the throne, in America at least.

My only final comment is that it's too bad the sing-along-to-your-own-songs feature turned out to be a bust... that really could have swayed me big time. Oh well, here's hoping for Lips Vol. 2.

Eggo said:
:lol

tirant

cjelly said:
I have been saying this since day one. Apple have locked out Mass Storage on iPods for about 2 years now so a lot of people won't be able to use the feature as advertised.

Why not? I bought a new nano last week and it works perfectly on my X360...

All I've been able to buy are the pure karaoke games on XBOX/360, and the list looks good. Even though a few songs cross over with Karaoke revolution, but that's negated since these are all real versions.

cjelly said:
I know you'll be rolling around on the floor in your underwear to it, Dave.

Oh man, I forgot about that video. The original song had such an amazing one too. Looks like Lips fails in all respects.

pilonv1 said:
Australian exclusives:

Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn
Missy Higgins - Scar
Shannon Noll - Shine

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0810/S00475.htm

reminder said:

http://www.xboxfront.de/news-1751-13788-Lips.html

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Thought I'd add the info that on the new Zune Microsoft sent me to review has advertisements for LIPS when loading the games already pre-installed on the hardware. Thought that it at least interesting to mention.

Top Bottom