• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List: Already released PS4 titles that will get a PS4 Pro mode/update

Shoeless

Does the game not detect that it's on better hardware or something? Or are the games made with a certain power in mind so the games can't/don't understand how to use more power because of optimization?

It's more of the opposite. The console (in this case, the PS4 Pro) is looking for the patch that gives it permission to go All Hands On Deck for improved performance. If no patch is present, the Pro just defaults to Vanilla PS4 mode and locks down all performance to what you'd get from an original or Slim model.

Infamous SS is going to get an update right? Since it was shown off at the conference.

Yeah, Infamous and the First Light stand-alone have both been confirmed to be getting a Pro patch.

It's more of the opposite. The console (in this case, the PS4 Pro) is looking for the patch that gives it permission to go All Hands On Deck for improved performance. If no patch is present, the Pro just defaults to Vanilla PS4 mode and locks down all performance to what you'd get from an original or Slim model.

I still dont understand why the Xbox One S gets a performance boost with no patch, and the Pro doesnt.

NewDust

I still dont understand why the Xbox One S gets a performance boost with no patch, and the Pro doesnt.

To be honest, we dony really know how vanilla mode will work yet. Might be that the Pro gets exactly downclocked to vanilla spec, but even then variations in playback may differentiate. Might be Sony deliberately downplaying performance boosts because they can vary from title to title.

Uncharted 4 getting a Pro update? Holy shit, I mean it dethrones all other games by a wide margin already when it comes to image quality.

I haven't been following the launch news closely but has it been confirmed since the leaks that its mandantory that games have a Pro mode if you're shipping after launch?

Or it's up to devs to support?

AmyS

Dark Souls 3. It's not an old game, it's fairly recent (March / April 2016)

Bloodborne I am more doubtful of, but I would love to see it, but DS3 is really important, especially since the two DLCs aren't out yet, the first is coming late October, and the 2nd probably not until the beginning of 2017.

Orayn

Unpatched games seeing benefits depends mainly on how identical to the vanilla PS4 the Pro behaves for unpatched games. With the One S, we're likely looking at the result of a slight overclock that older games are still allowed to "see." If the Pro does that, I'd expect similar results. If it matches the exact clock speed of the vanilla PS4, then probably not.

gossi

Unpatched games seeing benefits depends mainly on how identical to the vanilla PS4 the Pro behaves for unpatched games. With the One S, we're likely looking at the result of a slight overclock that older games are still allowed to "see." If the Pro does that, I'd expect similar results. If it matches the exact clock speed of the vanilla PS4, then probably not.

Clock speed is 30% faster on PS Pro, for info. However, they have option to downclock.

Well can forget about GT Sport running at a locked 60fps then on PS4 Pro if the PS4 version can't manage it... Game is mp centric unless a boost from 60 unlocked to locked would be permitted.

They are not going to make PS4 Pro have shitty framerate on purpose. 30fps or 60fps is the only distinction. Mandatory framerate drops to match the OG PS4 would be the biggest bullshit ever.

watdaeff4

They are not going to make PS4 Pro hav shitty framerate on purpose. 30fps or 60fps is the only distinction. Mandatory framerate drops to match the OG PS4 would be the biggest bullshit ever.

They would for the online MP component they have already stated MP has to have the same frame rate across the board

They would for the online MP component they have already stated MP has to have the same frame rate across the board

Ugh no that would still be bullshit. How exactly can they force the PS4 Pro to have the same framerate problems that PS4 will have in multiplayer unless they are not going allow any improvement at all ie MP games running in base PS4 mode? Are the they going to create a third mode that allows GPU improvement while simultaneouslythrottling the CPU? Every MP shooter will run better on PS4 Pro this Fall. BF1, COD and Titanfall will have less framerate drops on the Pro.

watdaeff4

Ugh no that would still be bullshit. How exactly can they force the PS4 Pro to have the same framerate problems that PS4 will have in multiplayer unless they are not going allow any improvement at all ie MP games running in base PS4 mode? Are the they going to create a third mode that allows GPU improvement while simultaneouslythrottling the CPU? Every MP shooter will run better on PS4 Pro this Fall. BF1, COD and Titanfall will have less framerate drops on the Pro.

Just google it. There has already been a thread on GAF

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-39-t-have-higher-frame-rates-on-ps4-pro.aspx

NewDust

I have seen it. No advantage doesn't mean what you think it does. Framerate will be more stable on PS4 Pro. They just won't allow 30 on PS4 with unlocked 60 on PS4 Pro.

This... They are not targeting higher framerate, but there might be differences (aka more stable). You'll have to see the advantages just like the differences we have now, like people running on monitors (lower input lag) or bigger/better calibrated tv's (enhanced visibility).

Planet

I hope Sony rethinks that and orders one fine Pro patch for each Driveclub regular and VR. Shouldn't cost them a ton of money and with the GT:S delay this will be their racing showcase for quite a while longer.

Loudninja

Destiny probably isn't happening because because of the framerate on multiplayer games limitation. I don't know that I see Codemasters letting the ex-Evo team spend enough time on Driveclub to get it to 60fps, though they are going to be releasing the VR tracks into Driveclub so they're obviously still working on it in some capacity.
Q: Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it’s true that PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

I would not have expect nothing from Drivelcub yet, the VR version is releasing next month..

Lord Phol

Oh damn! Nioh is being Pro supported.. I don't want a Pro but I want Nioh to look and play at its best :/. Makes sense though since they had several performance vs visual modes in the Alpha and Beta. Just hope that the framerate option is still there for the standard non Pro edition.

I would bet TLG will be on for patch as well, I think it was primarily the reason the game was pushed til December, so more people buy the game alongside the Pro.

But does the Pro patch also include Bayern Munich? No Bestia Negra, no buy.

But seriously, I'd wish devs would a little bit more specific how they will support PS4 Pro. I fear a lot will just opt for 4k support and call it a day.
Even just 4k support will give nice benefit for 1080p owner.

Loudninja

But does the Pro patch also include Bayern Munich? No Bestia Negra, no buy.

But seriously, I'd wish devs would a little bit more specific how they will support PS4 Pro. I fear a lot will just opt for 4k support and call it a day.
II think we see that stuff closer to launch.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Bloodborne doesn't have that many colors to begin with.
So your reds may be a bit redder, and your blue-grays more blue-gray, but that's it. Right?

Folks are more concerned with frame-rate stability in the case of Bloodborne. It'll still feel lacking unless they fix the frame-pacing though.

Hostile_18

Banned
Of the games I've played I think the ones most deserving of a patch (in that a technical boost would improve the game a lot) are;

Wolfenstein: New Order/Old Blood.
Improved AA, get rid of texture shimmering, increased FOV.

Dishonoured: DE
Increased FOV

The Witcher 3:
Increased Draw Distance/extra plants grass etc.

The Evil Within:
Higher resolution with no black bars, improved AA.

Resident Evil 4:
Increased FOV, Mipmapping, extra AA.

That's pretty much it in terms of would make the games substantially better.

Planet

Bloodborne needs a PS4 patch, not a Pro patch. Performance should not have to be fixed with the Pro.

Especially when it is already so close to being good - remember the engine puts out 30 FPS very consistently, it "just" screws up the pacing.

PS4GTA

Neo Member
Where is the GTA V patch that will magically make Paleto forest feel like a forest?

No seriously, I would love a Neo patch that will increase traffic and pedestrian count...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really hoping Dice comes through with a pro patch for BF4.

It's still got a super healthy community, and they are integrating the UI's with BF1.

The game is near perfection in multiplayer these days, pure fun.

The biggest problem with the game is IQ. Low resolution, jaggies and shimmering everywhere.

A simple boost in resolution and or some AA would do absolute wonders for this game.

Please Dice.

DieH@rd

Banned
Of the games I've played I think the ones most deserving of a patch (in that a technical boost would improve the game a lot) are;

Wolfenstein: New Order/Old Blood.
Improved AA, get rid of texture shimmering, increased FOV.

Dishonoured: DE
Increased FOV

The Witcher 3:
Increased Draw Distance/extra plants grass etc.

The Evil Within:
Higher resolution with no black bars, improved AA.

Resident Evil 4:
Increased FOV, Mipmapping, extra AA.

That's pretty much it in terms of would make the games substantially better.

Don't expect Pro patches for the old games that are not currently selling well.

W3 is a good candidate since it moves units with good pace all the time, but those older ones will get the patch only of devs are really pushing for it, or they see some sort of an advantage for doing the work [patching the old game to promote it before the sequel arrives].

I would like Alien Isolation shader aliasing to be fixed :)

Tarnpanzer

W3 is a good candidate since it moves units with good pace all the time, but those older ones will get the patch only of devs are really pushing for it, or they see some sort of an advantage for doing the work [patching the old game to promote it before the sequel arrives].

True.

But maybe Sony can "bribe" some devs to do Pro-patches for older games...

Hostile_18

Banned
I think a lot of the changes would only require a little work like (like fov, draw distance, aa etc) and would hopefully generate a few extra sales to justify the one or two people on the project etc and like you say keep interest up in the franchise for those with sequels coming out (or possibly increase sales of previous dlc).

It may just be wishful thinking on my part but it would be so good :D. Perhaps Sony missed a trick by not financing these "old" game patches. I think it would help shift loads more Pro units relative to the cost of say them getting just one timed exclusive dlc for the platform etc.

Top Bottom