• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List: Already released PS4 titles that will get a PS4 Pro mode/update

Ahoooooooy for Ratchet & Clank!

Please be 60FPS Please Please Please... I usually don't give a sh*t but for R&C is just glorious :)
Seems like the majority devs of released third party games won't bother updating.

Who expected otherwise.... I mean serouisly I didn't, it was pretty obvious but people as always like to build their hype up only to get disappointed later.

Ascenion

I'm still trying to figure out just how half-assed the pro mode can be. Like can a dev literally just increase the base resolution to 1440/1800p and just call it a day? Do they have to include 4K and 1080 perfection modes or just either or? It seems very suspect to me.

farisr

I'm still trying to figure out just how half-assed the pro mode can be. Like can a dev literally just increase the base resolution to 1440/1800p and just call it a day? Do they have to include 4K and 1080 perfection modes or just either or? It seems very suspect to me.
Yup, they can. Heck, they can just leave it as is, as long as it's 1080p, and runs at at least the same framerate as the standard ps4 version, they've done the bare minimum they're required to do.

TitusTroy

And?

What is the problem? They paid for that. I'm going to play the PS3 version of Persona 5 because I don't want to spend 299+ bucks on a new console.

Xbox One players are playing worse versions of the same games everyday.

PS3 players were playing worse versions of games last gen.

you're talking about new generations of consoles...of course that would be expected...my point is that this is an unprecedented in-cycle revision

Jesb

I'd think GTA5 would benefit a lot from an update. As well as other open world games like MGSV, Witcher 3, ect.

Raylan

Banned
you're talking about new generations of consoles...of course that would be expected...my point is that this is an unprecedented in-cycle revision
It's the future. And it starts now. Instead of just an ordinary Slim mid-gen, you will now get a Slim version and a more powerful+expensive version. More options! It's great!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I would not call that half assed considering how base PS4 games look..downscaling that to 1080p by default would be very good IQ wise

Ashtrax

I'm hoping Supermassive Games gets to patch in a performance update on Until Dawn to at least hit that 30 FPS locked target and add in HDR. That will be so amazing.

farisr

I'm hoping Supermassive Games gets to patch in a performance update on Until Dawn to at least hit that 30 FPS locked target and add in HDR. That will be so amazing.
Yeah, 30fps lock is definitely needed. And HDR in that game would really take the atmosphere to another level based off the few scenes that I've watched.

BHK3

Banned
Is there a interview anywhere where it says that all games post September WILL come with pro modes? Or a source they will announce more older games being patched with Pro at TGS?

I asked because we had a wildfire start over the 'fps is the same in multiplayer' and then sonys official blog said it was 'generally' going to be the same. I just want more solid, official answers.

farisr

Is there a interview anywhere where it says that all games post September WILL come with pro modes? Or a source they will announce more older games being patched with Pro at TGS?
The after September/October requirement hasn't been specifically mentioned, but I came across this a few minutes ago, and this was in the PS4 Pro FAQ

"Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a downloadable update."

So it looks like some exceptions can be made for a game to update via patch even a short while after release, but still seems like all games will have or get a Pro mode, at least starting November 10th. But this doesn't rule out the late September/October initiative/requirement, it could still be in place and they're just not mentioning it as it could clutter up the messaging/confuse people since it's before the Pro's launch.

As for TGS and announcing patches for older games there, that's just speculation at this point, I think. Unless I missed something.

Ok, so I know this is going to be a really dumb question, but I haven't been keeping up with this gen at all. I'm still rocking my PS3.

All the PS4 games will still play just fine on the PS4 pro, right? With Final Fantasy XV coming out soon, I'm currently saving up for a PS4 just for that game right now.

Yes, but I think buying the slim is a bad choice. PS4 Pro is so much better for only $100 more.

Raitaro

I'd think GTA5 would benefit a lot from an update. As well as other open world games like MGSV, Witcher 3, ect.

I honestly had expected The Witcher III to be amongst this list at the very least, them being such proficient developers with lots of PC experience and there being a new GOTY style version coming already.

SFV and Bloodborne are my two biggest personal omissions though.

Tratorn

I have a feeling that Bloodborne won't get a patch.

And even if it does, it won't be a framerate patch. The game has drop-in/out PvP, so it isn't allowed to raise the framerate cap. Just saying, because there are still some people asking for a 60 FPS/unlocked framerate patch. They should just let that dream die.

Eusis

Seems like the majority devs of released third party games won't bother updating.
We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not particularly optimistic. Supporting new stuff is rarely done unless there's a vested interest (Sony) or it's something popular and/or with dedicated devs (cautiously optimistic Destiny will go for higher resolution modes at least, CD Projekt Red's been awesome and will probably get something out there for Pro AND Scorpio.)

David Scammell said:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's PS4 Pro update will be available at launch on Nov 10. Screenshot and details:

Cr5-dKUXgAApfhZ.jpg:orig

Cr5-dqRXgAAso9f.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/774195280480641024

xviper

i hope they upgrade Bloodborne, Dark souls 3, Witcher 3 and MGS V

i know MGS V is already perfection( 60FPS\1080), but i would love some 4k\60FPS( i doubt that is possible)

Hanmik

The Witness

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/09/he...dev-thekla-has-planned-for-its-ps4-pro-patch/

the patch will add a 4K mode with native 4K UI and upscaled HD render delivered at 60fps

f you happen to be using a PS4 Pro on a 1080p display or lower, The Witness will render at 1080p instead of the original 900p, so there’ll be no upscaling. The added power of the PS4 Pro will also allow Thekla to increase antialiasing quality from 2x to 4x MSAA while maintaining the frame rate

Shin-Ra

Unless they include an option to remove the Xtra-strong sharpen filter, Deus Ex is still going to have messy image quality.

Kamina

Golden Boy
i hope they upgrade Bloodborne, Dark souls 3, Witcher 3 and MGS V

i know MGS V is already perfection( 60FPS1080), but i would love some 4k60FPS( i doubt that is possible)
4k/60 wouldnt be possible, but 4k/30 might. This game is very well optimized.

J-Skee

I see a lot of devs are choosing to play with resolutions, opting for people with 1080p sets or lower to enjoy enhanced graphics. Is it possible to change the resolution of a 4KTV to 1080p to see these benefits. Would I even want that?

Shin-Ra

I see a lot of devs are choosing to play with resolutions, opting for people with 1080p sets or lower to enjoy enhanced graphics. Is it possible to change the resolution of a 4KTV to 1080p to see these benefits. Would I even want that?
If there isn't an in-game option to choose 1080p-specific modes, you'd just have to reduce the maximum output resolution of the console to 1080p.

Unknown?

That would be! In a game like that frame rate isn't as noticeable but still would be nice. I'd also like a cleaner look. Remove all jaggies with super sampling.

farisr

That's a really weak list so far.
For older, already released games that devs really didn't have to go and put time and resources into to create patch as it wasn't a mandated requirement. Not really. I was mainly expecting some of the more popular first party games to get patches.

Have people tried asking Rockstar or CD Projekt directly if they are considering patches? (I'm not on twitter)

I would have thought GTAV (still selling loads) and Witcher 3 (CD Projekt normally hace the best post release support) would get patches.

2thepoint

I find it bizarre that Ubisoft hasn't announced Assassin's Creed support.

But would that leaked Ezio Collection fall under support if it releases after October?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Question...what about games with DLC? Dark souls 3 gets its first DLC in October for example

Have people tried asking Rockstar or CD Projekt directly if they are considering patches? (I'm not on twitter)

I would have thought GTAV (still selling loads) and Witcher 3 (CD Projekt normally hace the best post release support) would get patches.
I just send CDprojekt a tweet, if they answer I'll post a screenshot

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
gta v desperately needs some kind of AA. it might have fxaa but msaa is way too heavy. they could render it in 1440p and downsample to 1080p and that would help a lot.

either that or they try go for 60fps. i think i'd prefer better aa.

Jimrpg

Maybe someone else can better explain - seems like all the games are western developed games? Why aren't any Japanese games getting updates?

Is that because they develop their games differently and harder to increase the resolution/framerate. It seems like on Steam many Japanese games have their resolution and framerate locked because its tied to the code. To implement unlocked framerates or a faster framerate on these games, would mean rewriting the game which they certainly won't do.

My point is - its probably best not to expect too many pro patches for Japanese games that increase the framerate. Just my guess though.

I have a feeling that Bloodborne won't get a patch.
If Sony want to actually move some PS4 Pros then they should offer From a team of their own coders to make it happen.

Of all the games you could show off on the PS4 Pro, Bloodborne is the one that would have the most clout with the target audience for that console. It also has the added benefit that in 12 months time the competition definitely won't be able to show off a better looking version on their own console.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe someone else can better explain - seems like all the games are western developed games? Why aren't any Japanese games getting updates?

Is that because they develop their games differently and harder to increase the resolution/framerate. It seems like on Steam many Japanese games have their resolution and framerate locked because its tied to the code. To implement unlocked framerates or a faster framerate on these games, would mean rewriting the game which they certainly won't do.

My point is - its probably best not to expect too many pro patches for Japanese games that increase the framerate. Just my guess though.
Wait until September 13th

I think gtav witcher 3 and overwatch are safe bets for an update. They are all games with a ton of support post release.

Also I'd like to think bloodborne will get it since it is an exclusive it would be bizarre if it didn't.

I'd like to see the Nathan Drake Collection updated to run at native 4K. If they could get it to work on TLoU, then they should be able to do the same with the Uncharted trilogy.

The only issue might be that BluePoint is too busy on other projects to get it to work on the Uncharted games.

Top Bottom