• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

Acosta

DSWii60 said:
This thread just reminded me why I don't come to the Gaming side any more. This thread also explained to me exactly why Obama is winning by a landslide over in the States. This thread also reminded me of all the hateful, intolerant people still present in this world. This thread also reminded me how selfish people can be. This thread reminded me why the world is in the state it's in.

:lol :lol :lol

distrbnce

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I'm not really talking about the actions taken, I'm talking about the general sentiment. If someone has a religious belief and it offends them, heaven forbid them saying something about it or trying to do something about it.

So fucking do something about it.

Take the fucking game out of your console.

Saying something or doing something about it is fine. Don't tread on me.

Jaeyden

Does anyone with retail knowledge know how these things propagate through the system. I got shut down by the street date when I tried to buy this at K-mart yesterday. They put a copy on hold for me in the back. I just wonder if it's possible that there might be a window of opportunity to try and buy it again today?

For the record, I haven't seen a single racist comment in this thread. Censorship is bad, nobody has complained about this so far and the guy who sent the message is practically laughing in our collective face about this.

mr_nothin

Banned
distrbnce said:
It's clearly not the length of the wait for most of us. It's the reason.
And the fact that the guy that presented this evidence "endorses" pedophiles in DS games
:p

And he's also a "Nintendo Fanboy", so to speak.

distrbnce said:
So fucking do something about it.

Take the fucking game out of your console.

Saying something or doing something about it is fine. Don't tread on me.

He did do something. He told Sony it was offensive.

The only one doing anything to "you" is Sony, by delaying your ability to purchase the game and taking a song out of it. Sony didn't have to. They decided it was in their best interest to do so. I'm not sure why that's a distinction people have trouble grasping.

neight

Banned
What complete shit. Can't believe they gave in to this crap. I feel like putting off my LBP purchase until next year from the anger of this.

[Nintex]

neight said:
What complete shit. Can't believe they gave in to this crap. I feel like putting off my LBG purchase until next year from the anger of this.
All according to keikaku

note: Keikaku means plan

neight said:
What complete shit. Can't believe they gave in to this crap. I feel like putting off my LBG purchase until next year from the anger of this.

You're LBG purchase? Where can I buy a Lesbian, Bisexual, or Gay? :D

Edit: I am too fast for your edits!

Fady K

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
He did do something. He told Sony it was offensive.

The only one doing anything to "you" is Sony, by delaying your ability to purchase the game and taking a song out of it. Sony didn't have to. They decided it was in their best interest to do so. I'm not sure why that's a distinction people have trouble grasping.

Exactly. And i think it was a respectful decision by Sony.

Wurm

Banned
Crayon said:
wurno.jpg

21e981t.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Igo said:
Are people really so dense that they can't understand why Sony made this decision? Firstly it's obvious they don't want the bad publicity that may arise from this situation. And here's where I think the people on this board have really lost the plot. People keep suggesting that it should be the Muslims who avoid the game but why - and I really want to scream this in bold but i'll resist - Why on earth would Sony want a potentially large group of people to avoid their game and possibly other future products in the larger Sony conglomerate.

Sony aren't simply caving in to the religious demands of Muslims here. They've seen that something in their game could be offensive to some of their customers and have made the correct decision to rectify that. From what I can tell people getting overly upset over this are either dense or using this to push their anti-religious/Islam agenda.

Would the situation have been any different if the one of the songs lyrics contained phrases that may have offended those of Japanese decent? Do people really think Sony would have acted any differently? Sony are doing their best not to offend their customers here and it should be commended. Unfortunately certain people are just unwilling to accept that people take their beliefs very seriously and would rather remain ignorant to this.

Sadly whats got a lot of people riled up here is less that Sony have taken steps to avoid offending their customers but that it concerns those who practice Islam.

Or how about I don't care about any of that and just want to play the damn game.

MGrant

DSWii60 said:
This thread just reminded me why I don't come to the Gaming side any more. This thread also explained to me exactly why Obama isn't winning by a landslide over in the States. This thread also reminded me of all the hateful, intolerant people still present in this world. This thread also reminded me how selfish people can be. This thread reminded me why the world is in the state it's in.

This post can really be interpreted in several ways. Are you asking us to tolerate the petty intolerances of the insecure? Because that's some meta shit right there.

Nafai1123

Banned
DSWii60 said:
This thread just reminded me why I don't come to the Gaming side any more. This thread also explained to me exactly why Obama is winning by a landslide over in the States. This thread also reminded me of all the hateful, intolerant people still present in this world. This thread also reminded me how selfish people can be. This thread reminded me why the world is in the state it's in.

Are you trying to insinuate that Obama is winning by a landslide because people are hateful, intolerant and selfish?

Crayon

Wurm said:

:lol

I miss that worm thing. And the Teeny Super Guy.

Anyhow everyone will hopfully cool off in a day from now once everyone has seen the news. The game will be out in a week. Meanwhile it's sort of available for those who really want it.

Igo

gofreak said:
I can understand that. I'm simply lamenting that people get offended by this in the first place. Sony's being pragmatic - it's much easier and, yeah, probably wiser to give in rather than to try and challenge this - but I'm targetting the principle(s) behind this.

Racial and religious sensitivity are two very different things, IMO.

I'm glad you understand but whats you're targeting is complete nonsense. What this boils down to is quite simple. Sony is unwilling to release a product that may offend their customers, whether it be a small minority or not.

Racial and religious sensitivity are not at all different. Well they may be different in theory but in practice it boils down to the same thing. Understanding, acceptance, and the actions we as a people take in order to be respectful of the feelings and beliefs of others.

GPsych

A week guys, 7 days. Is it really worth getting that worked up over something you can't change? Play some games and don't worry about it. You're still getting the game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The "rights holders" of the Qur'an are those that continue to practice the religion. I understand there is no legal basis for it. My point is that there exists a relationship to the content here that is like possession for those who practice the religion and Sony's respect for that is sensible given how protective they are of their own content through the pursuit of legal copyrights.

faust said:
But the wrong choice in the way it's being handled especially in light of numerous retailers already breaking the street date. A patch for those online and an offer to replace the disk for anyone who finds it offensive would suffice.
There may very well be just a bit of showmanship there, since it's already breaking street date like you say. They've probably made a calculated decision to go for a full recall given that they know it will still get out to the most enthusiast gamers among us in the next few days while allowing them to take a position that looks like the most respectful they can be to the religious group in question. I think the hardship is primarily Sony's here, since they take on the financial burden of the recall.

Jaeyden

Death_Born said:
Atheist rants, hooray!

I love the temper tantrums over LBP.

I'm no Atheist. My god just doesn't sit on a magical throne in the clouds or on top of a mountain or in the 5th plane of heaven directing witless humans on how to live their lives through vague and ancient texts written by men. My god does not tell other people how to live their own lives or how to ruin others. My god lives in ME and tells ME how to live my life, and the only time I talk about my god is when someone wants to know or for this matter mistakes it for Atheism.

kittel

GPsych said:
A week guys, 7 days. Is it really worth getting that worked up over something you can't change? Play some games and don't worry about it. You're still getting the game.

This is gaming discussion at neoGAF dude

DSWii60 said:
See above....typo....

so the only people not voting for Obama are racists/bigots? Can't possibly be because of disagreements regarding his policies/lack of balls/whatever?

keep the ravenous 'Poli-GAF' crap over on the OT side.

DSWii60

MGrant said:
This post can really be interpreted in several ways. Are you asking us to tolerate the petty intolerances of the insecure? Because that's some meta shit right there.

Yeah, :D . I did go over the top and I meant for people to interpret it as they please, I'm really just interested to see the responses. But I do think it's not right to single out one person who has nothing to do with Sony and blame him for delaying LBP. It's not like he made the decision. People complain to others all the time but that doesn't mean that we should immediately accept what the other person says or insult another person for their beliefs. Voltaire: "I may disagree with what you are saying, but I will defend to death your right to say it."

Nafai1123

Banned
Igo said:
I'm glad you understand but whats you're targeting is complete nonsense. What this boils down to is quite simple. Sony is unwilling to release a product that may offend their customers. Whether it be a small minority or not.

Racial and religious sensitivity are not at all different. Well they may be different in theory but in practice it boils down to the same thing. Understanding, acceptance, and the actions we as a people take in order to be respectful of the feelings and beliefs of others.

Yea, good thing they pulled Resistance from the shelves because of that scene in the church!
....oh wait

Choosing who you can offend and can't offend is offensive.

Crayon

HappyBivouac said:
Right, if anyone finds a place selling copies near Ames, Iowa send me a PM...

No way in hell.

They're showing up in ebay. Start pming fools. People on gaf can be very helpful.

Fady K

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
It was respectful. I disagree with their approach or the necessity, but I can't blame them for defending their interests either.

Yeah i think there might have been a better way, but im not sure what myself.

Tideas

Banned
Igo said:
Would the situation have been any different if the one of the songs lyrics contained phrases that may have offended those of Japanese decent?.

You choose to believe in your religion. You cannot chose your ethnicity

DSWii60

TheJollyCorner said:
so the only people not voting for Obama are racists/bigots? Can't possibly be because of disagreements regarding his policies/lack of balls/whatever?

No. I'm saying that Obama would be winning by a larger margin if it wasn't for racists/bigots.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TheJollyCorner said:

LMAO repubs always contradict themselves.

DSWii60 said:
No. I'm saying that Obama would be winning by a larger margin if it wasn't for racists/bigots.

This is actually true. I dont think this is even a debatable topic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Igo said:
I'm glad you understand but whats you're targeting is complete nonsense. What this boils down to is quite simple. Sony is unwilling to release a product that may offend their customers. Whether it be a small minority or not.

Yeah that's not nonsense.

The expectation that something should be changed based on your religious beliefs is.

Igo said:
Racial and religious sensitivity are not at all different. Well they may be different in theory but in practice it boils down to the same thing.

No, they don't. Race is something that's a fundamental part of who you are as a human being. It should used against you etc. Religion is something you adopt. It's personal belief. It's not proven. It's no more proven that fairytales. If your beliefs dictate something to you, you accomodate that personally - you have the freedom to do that. Do NOT expect others who don't share your beliefs to have to do likewise, however.

Where do we draw the line? Divorce, abortion, etc. are all highly sensitive topics in certain religions. We don't shirk legally because of some people's religious beliefs. We shouldn't culturally either.

Sony's made a commercial decision to avoid offending anyone, knowing that some people would be offended. And that's fair enough. I'm getting to the why people are offended though..or more specifically..their expected reaction based on that offense that really causes companies to make decisions like this. I don't think it's just because some a small minority of people would avoid the game. Lots of people have made successful projects that have irked some groups. I think it's because of the serious and dangerous controversy it could cause ala previous controversies along similar lines. That's what I have a problem with, not people being unhappy with it and avoiding it.

Zeliard

GPsych said:

Seriously. Go buy Dead Space. Slice the legs out from under some large, deformed beast and then curbstomp him. And then break out the flamethrower. Vent in that fashion - it's much healthier than taking your gamer rage out on a population of a billion.

Ceb

kaching said:
I wasn't really talking about anything holding up in court, just simply the point of basic respect between a pair of rights holders. We're talking about specific phrases taking from the Qur'an, rather than some more arbitrary offense. I'm willing to acknowledge their claim on the basis of the presence of a deliberately created work. It's no different from what any IP holder like Sony would want for their copyrighted creations, and does their best to enforce.

Do you propose we stop using the phrase "I am the Alpha and the Omega" as well?

"Rights holders"... bloody hell. It's not even the citation that bothers people - it's the fact that it's coupled with a music track.

MGrant

DSWii60 said:
Yeah, :D . I did go over the top and I meant for people to interpret it as they please, I'm really just interested to see the responses. But I do think it's not right to single out one person who has nothing to do with Sony and blame him for delaying LBP. It's not like he made the decision. People complain to others all the time but that doesn't mean that we should immediately accept what the other person says or insult another person for their beliefs. Voltaire: "I may disagree with what you are saying, but I will defend to death your right to say it."

I agree with you, and enjoyed your post. But isn't what Nsider (apparently) did flying right in the face of that Voltaire quote? More like, "I may disagree with what you're saying, so I want it removed from every record."

No one on either side is exercising proper judgment.

Chumly

DSWii60 said:
This thread just reminded me why I don't come to the Gaming side any more. This thread also explained to me exactly why Obama isn't winning by a landslide over in the States. This thread also reminded me of all the hateful, intolerant people still present in this world. This thread also reminded me how selfish people can be. This thread reminded me why the world is in the state it's in.
Why? Is it because this thread isnt completely full of hateful, intolerant democrats instead of only partially full?

Enojado

Flek said:
[IG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2ir6oah.jpg[/IMG]

Wow. Just wow. I don't pretend to understand why having those verses in a song is so offensive, but all this anger should really be directed at Sony. They reacted. No one forced them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Here's 2 words from the Bible, plus one.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Anyway, this is ridiculous, it's shameful to cater to cater to the people that find this offensive imo.

Do they actually plan to reprint 2 million copies?
I mean how much money does that even cost?

Top Bottom