• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

ymmv

Banned
edgefusion said:
So you're telling me that the extra damage this is going to do the environment (what with the expense of the recall and re-shipment, more packaging, discs, machinery at work etc.) is worth it to spare a few cuddly-wuddly feelings? This world is so fucked up.

It's not to spare a few cuddly-wuddly feelings, it's to prevent muslim anger, protest marches around Sony offices everywhere in the middle east, extremists calling for boycots of Sony products, death threats, etc. Businesses are very afraid to anger muslim extremists these days.

protest.jpg

So why wasn't this musician stoned 2 years ago when the track first came out? Koran quotes can be in music, just not music that is part of a video game?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DeathNote said:
Why can't that make an OPTIONAL patch?

Cause I hear quotes all the time from the bible... and... it doesn't piss anyone off?

As whiny as Christians can be, at least they dont go this far

Valkyr Junkie said:
So why wasn't this musician stoned 2 years ago when the track first came out? Koran quotes can be in music, just not music that is part of a video game?

This is a very good question. Its very odd that it gets attention now.

ymmv

Banned
jmonteiro said:
I can't believe Sony will recall the retails disks and produce new disks. That would be really stupid and unnecessary. I think they will just patch the game and they force retailers to hold the disk until they have a patch ready on PSN.

They won't do that, since they can't be sure that every buyer has their PS3 hooked up to the internet plus a PSN account.

h3ro

MThanded said:
he is an amazing artist. I really love the song thats in the game. Sad to see it go. My copy still has it so I better lock it up or something.

Wow, that was amazing. This delay just turned me on to a new artist, that's a positive... right?

:/

open_mouth_ said:
People can make threats against sony, either fiscally or physically, but no one can make sony change it unless sony wants to.

Sony is doing this out of respect to Muslims and the Quran because they realize that it's inappropriate for verses that a large part of the population holds sacred to be placed in that context and it's something they would not have done had they known before printing the discs. It's just a respect thing. Obviously it sucks for MM, Sony, and gamers for the extra delay.

No, they're doing this because of fear from repercussions that'll have financial effects. No corporation has anything that's even similar to what one might call "respect" /o\

Imo this is the level that "clash of civilisations" should be occuring at :) It took a long time for Christianity to adapt to the real world, and it was in the centre of the greatest cultural revolutions...it'll take a while in other parts of the world and with other cultures to adapt to reality. But we shouldn't forget that this is just a tiny little thing, maybe a straw that breaks the camel's back or whatever, considering our performance in Muslim areas of the world, and our general view of those people and behaviour towards them :-/

Nolan.

I guess at least they didn't cancel the game over it. Having said that though I dislike playing censored games. At least games delivered in a state other than it easily could have been.

duckroll

Tideas said:
don't understand. discussion is over Islam and the religion.

No it is not. The discussion is over LBP being delayed because Sony decided to pull the game and censor a track on their own accord after a complaint. If you want to discuss religion, go to OT.

Dirtbag

Jesus guys sack up.

MM hands are basically hands-tied on this one. It would be the equivalent of 'hot coffee' and I guarantee you that had this released in the U.S. in full, there would be a lawsuit that MM would loose.

Yes it sucks, but you guys proposing a petition to Sony... :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
yellowjacket said:
This is a very good question. Its very odd that it gets attention now.

I was about to buy his CD indeed.

Besides, I hope MM allows us to add custom soundtracks in our levels :lol

ymmv said:
It's not to spare a few cuddly-wuddly feelings, it's to prevent muslim anger, protest marches around Sony offices everywhere in the middle east, extremists calling for boycots of Sony products, death threats, etc. Businesses are very afraid to anger muslim extremists these days.

protest.jpg

Holy shit! @ pic:lol

harSon

Banned
MThanded said:
he is an amazing artist. I really love the song thats in the game. Sad to see it go. My copy still has it so I better lock it up or something.

Whats the name of the song in the game?

PseudoZ

Neo Member
Sony should have:

1) Left the release as planned.
2) Put up an optional patch for those that want it.
3) Updated the build for all future pressings.
4) Initiated an exchange program for users that don't have access to the patch.

CoG

Dirtbag 504 said:
Jesus guys sack up.

MM hands are basically hands-tied on this one. It would be the equivalent of 'hot coffee' and I guarantee you that had this released in the U.S. in full, there would be a lawsuit that MM would loose.

How would there be a lawsuit when the song is already available in retail for two years?

dionysus

Yaldog
MGrant said:
Thank gods the crazies never found the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Haha. So true. Actually, most jrpg depictions of religion would offend almost every overly sensitive religious nut. I'm religious, but I also believe in creative expression, so none of it bothers me. Thank god our favorite genre is so niche!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dirtbag 504 said:
Jesus guys sack up.

You are missing the point. That song is out there since two years ago. It's not like they included a "banned" song in the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PseudoZ said:
Sony should have:

1) Left the release as planned.
2) Put up a mandatory patch.
3) Updated the build for all future pressings.
4) Initiated an exchange program for users that don't have access to the patch.

Fixed. But I agree with this.

xintin

duckroll said:
No it is not. The discussion is over LBP being delayed because Sony decided to pull the game and censor a track on their own accord after a complaint. If you want to discuss religion, go to OT.
the track is being censored because of religious beliefs though. thats the only reason this thread exists.

this duck has lost a fucking wheel.

Salmonax

I assume this means the servers won't be "turned on" until the new release date? Would there be any point in searching for a copy other than playing the story mode?

Mifune

Mehmber
Didn't something similar happen to Zack and Wiki? I remember there being a Quaranic track or something in that game.

Anyway, this news fucking blows. Less than one week before the game comes out, and boom. Sony really couldn't have anticipated this? Really??

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
It's such a strange situation. I have 25 copies of the game sitting in my backroom right now.....

dionysus

Yaldog
Dirtbag 504 said:
Jesus guys sack up.

They wouldn't have a leg to stand on in a US court. WTF are you talking about. It would be dismissed as frivolous.

jmonteiro

Amon37 said:
Not if you aren't connected to the net.

True. Anyway, I believe this would be an acceptable solution. Even Yasser said he hopes Sony to patch/fix future shipment, he never asked to recall the game.

Here is his quote:

We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

Nobody "bullied" or "threatened" Sony in any way. (Certainly not any abstract mass consisting of "those people" or any of the other stereotyping labels people are using to compare this to the Danish cartoons situation.) Someone contacted Sony and informed them that something that was unintentionally offensive had slipped into the game because no one noticed it, and Sony responded by dealing with the situation.

Is it fair to blame "Muslims" for this? No. The fact that the Quran is holy to Muslims and its text should not be used outside of a holy context is well-known; this has happened at least four times to different games, and every time it was easily avoidable by simply checking out the material being included before it was used.

Is it fair to blame Media Molecule for this? No. Their game is intended to be a fun, family game that's not political but instead lets different people join together in the joy of creation and play. They're not being "censored"; they're honestly removing content that doesn't fit with the purpose of their game in order to keep the focus on what LBP is really about.

Is it fair to blame Sony for this? Well, maybe: a patch (plus altered repressings of the game) should have been enough to deal with this situation to everyone's satisfaction, so a delay was probably not actually necessary.

Anyway, part of being in a free society is that people are allowed to protest and petition for the change of things they don't like. You can't act to protect creator's rights to express themselves while objecting to critics also expressing themselves. In an ideal situation, one of two things happens:

* Content is released, critics complain, creator decides that the offensive part wasn't actually part of their true creative vision, they change it, everyone's happy.

* Content is released, critics complain, creator decides that the offensive part was part of their true creative vision, sticks to their guns, critics continue to object, nobody's really happy but everyone got to express themselves freely in the marketplace of ideas.

This case is just situation #1, so please stop throwing around words like "bullying" and "censorship."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
xintin said:
the track is being censored because of religious beliefs though. thats the only reason this thread exists.

this duck has lost a fucking wheel.
Are you just asking for a ban, or maybe just fishing for a tag? :lol

Top Bottom