• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Local GS Manager Gets 100 Wii Calls Today, Major Camping Expected Tomorrow Morning

Dante

Chemo said:
You mean the kind of games you like to watch, right?

Because as far as I can tell, the Wii is sure as hell a lot more play-intensive than the other two

What the hell does that even mean?

Tiktaalik

Maybe not on the launch day, but I still think that the Wii will be easy to find during the launch window period of a few weeks.

We'll see. Hard to imagine mass camping out for a console that should have healthy numbers at and after launch.

Though to be fair, people had hours of notice about PS3 preorders... there has been tentative talk since Monday about the Wii. Also, it seems they actually sent out e-mails.

Zaxxon said:
Maybe not on the launch day, but I still think that the Wii will be easy to find during the launch window period of a few weeks.

I live in a good area, as I always see consoles around after launch/before Christmas. I expect no change in that with the Wii or PS3.

Just called my GS, they said they were only getting 12, not including Employee Pre-orders. This isn't exactly a dead store either, its in a pretty popular area of town, right in the middle of a big shopping center.

disco

I live in the UK. Only allowed to take 50 deposits i think at my local GAME (Blackpool, North), i was no. 18 and i went about 3/4 days after pre-orders started. They seemed pretty calm that i'd get one and said they'd ring up on December 1st with any games i'd like to have put away. What are the good UK launch titles? I'd probably only be interested in Rayman, Zelda, Excitetruck, Wario and maybe Red Steel. Monkey Ball as well if it makes the European launch.

JB1981

My Arms Your Hearse said:
We'll see. Hard to imagine mass camping out for a console that should have healthy numbers at and after launch.

Though to be fair, people had hours of notice about PS3 preorders... there has been tentative talk since Monday about the Wii. Also, it seems they actually sent out e-mails.

It was the emails that set off the massive amounts of calls today.

Mar

So when does all this fun begin?

It's kind of strange this idea of dated pre-orders. In Australia we've been able to pre-order since... Well, for as long as I can remember.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Why couldn't the "lol 1 million campers confirmed" comment go in the already-existing Wii pre-order thread?

What this thread needs is a nice fat lock.

I wonder how Costco figures into the mix. Could end up getting like a game or two extra in a cheaper bundle. Either way, i'm walking in baby. Large supply rules.

Log4Girlz

Oh I could just imagine the employees at my local walmart, in a somewhat seedy low class neighborhood the day it releases....and sells out

"WII BE OUT BITCHES!"

just the fact of starting pre-orders of two different consoles simultaneously will cause clerks to commit suicide

"how many PS3s will your store carry? I don't wanna show up for nothing or else I will kick your ass""

that's was me calling an EB

Soybean

I'm pre-ordering my Wii, but I also recognize there will be no need to.

2 million at launch, right? And 4 million by year's end? Sellout is impossible.

My Gamestop friend does say interest is high, though:
(20:47:26) Friend: oh!
(20:47:27) Friend: about that
(20:47:31) Friend: sorry, i was at wawa
(20:49:08) Friend: yeah, so, as soon as I got the call from my dm, the phones exploded
(20:49:10) Friend: non stop
(20:49:23) Friend: quite a few people were planning on camping
(20:49:26) Friend: so careful
(20:49:55) Me: Wow. There's a thread at GAF about how some manager at GAmestop said the same thing.
(20:50:03) Friend: it was out of control man
(20:50:17) Friend: people were begging me to make exceptions because they'd be at work or were crippled, or whatever
(20:50:22) Me: Haha.
(20:50:58) Me: You should tell them it'll be fine. I'm guessing preorder quantities are conservative numbers, right? I mean, 2 million at launch!
(20:51:15) Friend: we're getting 32 for customers
(20:53:26) Friend: and while I think it's complete crap, we're being told that's it for the year
(20:53:31) Friend: I don't understand how

The dedicated game stores must be getting a tiny piece of the allottment. Wal-Mart, Target, etc. will be loaded.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zimarooski said:
Oh well, my mom said she would be there in line for me.

Dude, that's ****ing sad.

Senretsu

Shit! I didn't believe you guys but I just called the gamestop near me and he said they've been getting calls nonstop about it today and yesteday and he said for that store (the closest near me) he said he expectes to be sold out in the morning. Thank god they open at 10 tomorrow and not 8. I get to sleep in :).

mosaic

go eat paint
Neither of the two stores closest to me had received many calls, according to the managers, but they did say they'd be opening up a half hour early tomorrow just to shuffle people in and get organized...

Xdrive05

DAMNIT! I work right next to a funcoland but won't get off work 'till 10am. I was afraid of this crap. Oh well. Maybe I still have a chance at being #50 or so if I shuffle right out of there.

:(

Holy shit....just got out of work(EB)......we've got 6 people outside in 30 degree weather and snowing. Our store is only getting 8 systems and some of these guys have been in the store since 6:30pm. Nintendo fans >> Any other console fan.

Amir0x

Banned
SNUG REVOL said:
Holy shit....just got out of work(EB)......we've got 6 people outside in 30 degree weather and snowing. Our store is only getting 8 systems and some of these guys have been in the store since 6:30pm. Nintendo fans >> Any other console fan.

sounds fun! i'll be arriving at the place about an hour before opening, so I hope to God I don't see 30 people already there. Or I think humanity will be confirmed dead :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So uh, Nintendo is gonna have plenty of units this holiday, right?

Why wait in line? :)

I'm going to be there at 7:30am

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
sounds fun! i'll be arriving at the place about an hour before opening, so I hope to God I don't see 30 people already there. Or I think humanity will be confirmed dead :lol

I thought you already had everything paid off.

Serious question.

I'm going, but not early. If I can't get it tomorrow, I will use teh intarwebs.

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I thought you already had everything paid off.

Serious question.

I'm going, but not early. If I can't get it tomorrow, I will use teh intarwebs.

Yeah, I have it paid off (well, $200 of it) at FYE, but I am going to cancel that and get a refund. I want to just pre-order at ebgames 'cause the games I pre-ordered at there now (as well as my accessories soon), so it's more convenient.

KINGMOKU

Ya know, this could be a good time for me to get revenge on those who wait in line.

I remember sitting in line for Star Wars Episode1
SHUT UP
and some asshat driving by and throwing eggs at us.

I may do this, just for revenge on that nameless bastard.

Pellham

Banned
Eh I am not gonna line up at the sotre around 7 am however I will go at around 8-9 am to preorder, i'll report back on whether the Wii line is bigger than the PS3 line at my local ebgames.

Mar

moku said:
I remember sitting in line for Star Wars Episode1
SHUT UP

*Edit

It makes it an even more odd statement considering you have a really good film as your avatar ;).

mj1108

SNUG REVOL said:

Go back with a camera.

NOW.

Nintendo ain't ****ing about here. They will make sure everyone that wants a Wii gets one asap. You will still find them all over on launch day.
If they had a better multiplayer launch, or really ANY, it could be the best launch ever.

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
you may throw eggs at random people on line to get back at someone throwing eggs at you on line?

*headscratch
Revenge can take different forms. I will never be able to throw an egg at that bastard, but I can make others suffer the same fate that befell me.

I'll be in line, early in the morning bieng a potential target once again :(

moku said:
Revenge can take different forms. I will never be able to throw an egg at that bastard, but I can make others suffer the same fate that befell me.

I'll be in line, early in the morning bieng a potential target once again :(
I work at a resturant across the street from a GS. I'm actually thinking of rounding up some food for the poor SOB's in line in November. I camped last year and it was really tough, the waether was awful. I have a ps3 preordered, but I still respect those willing to bare it out. Noone messed with people in our line which was nice.

Amir0x

Banned
Fortunately, they let us inside the mall on the midnight system launches... so it's not too bad to do the camp out thing. At the PS2 launch, the line was so insane it snaked outside the mall... but i was in the middle of it, and I won a nvidia t-shirt :p

Matt

OK, I have never preordered at a GS, so I have a Q. Are we allowed to cancel pre-orders, and get refunded?

sspeedy

hmm.. EB/GS open at 10, no? so let's see... be there at 7? man, that's such a long wait and such a waste of time! grr.

might be there at 7:30, but like someone said, if there are 20 people there already, argh!

KINGMOKU

BobTheFork said:
I work at a resturant across the street from a GS. I'm actually thinking of rounding up some food for the poor SOB's in line in November. I camped last year and it was really tough, the waether was awful. I have a ps3 preordered, but I still respect those willing to bare it out. Noone messed with people in our line which was nice.
Yeah I camped out for Halo2(Never been more disapointed in a game that I had aticipated so much) and I remember it bieng cold, and that they handed out donuts and hot chocolate, but they ran out before it got to me. :(

That would be a really cool gesture, and you might actually get a bunch of them to eat at your restuarant just becuase if it.

sspeedy said:
hmm.. EB/GS open at 10, no? so let's see... be there at 7? man, that's such a long wait and such a waste of time! grr.

might be there at 7:30, but like someone said, if there are 20 people there already, argh!
same reports at the ps3 pre order, but it deffinatly varies. Drive by earlier than you want to and check, if noone is there go sleep some more. If there are 10 people, decide if you want it right then

MrDaravon

Hmmm. I was planning on lining up at a 24 hour Walmart, but I was already going out to Starbucks tommorrow morning, which is right next to Gamestop. Guess I'll just head out a little earlier around 7/8, and if there's already a people lined up I might go ahead and try to preorder it now. I've got the spare cash, and I can always get a refund or put it towards something else. I'll bring my camera just in case it's crazy or something.

Saoh

:lol my friend just panic with this news and he's going to GS tomorrow at 9, and the thing opens at 10.

:lol him.

:( me when the Wii sells out

Top Bottom