• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Localized Chaos Rings III surprise released now on iOS/Android

Shizuka

Stealth Vita release when?

Qv7yMbl.gif

suikodan

Hopefully they will patch the japanese CR3 wth the english option.

All the other CRs are available in english on Vita via the japanese CR3.

Takao

Banned
Now that all four are available in English and available separately on Vita, I fully expect them to come out on PSN in the west.

Also, CR3 really flopped in Japan. The series was at 1.1 million before it launched.

vareon

I really can't find decent gameplay videos on this. Are there many explorations in this game?

Might buy this if it supports controller, too.

Shizuka

Now that all four are available in English and available separately on Vita, I fully expect them to come out on PSN in the west.

Also, CR3 really flopped in Japan. The series was at 1.1 million before it launched.

Maybe Squeenix is waiting for E3? I don't know, the games are ready, just waiting to be released.

nikos

Anyone know if I can jump in, or do I need to have played the previous games to know what's going on?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Downloading nah-oh

This is why mobile gaming sucks.

Square Enix tax is the reason why mobile gaming sucks?

S-E releases a 20 buck mobile game -> "Hahahaha FUCK OFF!"

S-E releases a F2P mobile game -> "FUCK S-E! F2P GARBAGE! NOOOOOOOO!"

>Repeat endlessly

:)

Edit: Maybe I should have added a few more loops for the "released in Japan" -> "WHY ISN'T IT IN ENGLISH" -> "released in English" -> "LOL LATE PORT" cycle.

This is why NeoGAF sucks.

nikos

Can someone please confirm whether this is playable offline? I like to play games on the subway, where there's usually no connection.

LevelNth

Banned
It's funny how releasing a game like this for 19.99 on mobile is too pricey but the same game for 24.99 or 29.99 on a handheld (as has been par for the course for the last two decades) has been fine...?

Takao

Banned
It's funny how releasing a game like this for 19.99 on mobile is too pricey but the same game for 24.99 or 29.99 on a handheld (as has been par for the course for the last two decades) has been fine...?

Differences of the market place. Most phone games are F2P or <$5, where as most handheld games are more than $10.

Maybe Squeenix is waiting for E3? I don't know, the games are ready, just waiting to be released.

Could be that.

M3d10n

One is guaranteed to be still playable in 20 years, the other... not so much. Some people also don't like having their existing gaming library becoming unavailable if they decide to switch mobile platforms for non-gaming reasons.

Unison

>Repeat endlessly

Edit: Maybe I should have added a few more loops for the "released in Japan" -> "WHY ISN'T IT IN ENGLISH" -> "released in English" -> "LOL LATE PORT" cycle.

Yes.

Might pick it up if it's good on iPad. Always looking for more iPad games :) I'm just kind of hesitant with SE's mobile titles after the TWEWY thing.
also the blond guy with the cap is cute

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

>Repeat endlessly

goalpost2.gif

sounds about right Id say.

Arcayne

hmm... character models bother me. I really enjoyed the art style in CR2, but it seems like they went for a more anime look for this entry. Combat looks more flashy and exciting, but I just can't get past the models. I'll wait for more impressions

>Repeat endlessly

Ugh, sounds about right.

I cannot believe how good the OST for this game.

Just started this game and about an hour in, my god the piano and violin tracks are sooooooooooooo good.

I don't think I've heard such good melody in video games for quite a while.

I want to finish or at least beat more chaos rings 2 before diving into this one, by that time it might be on sale or something.

glad it's out in English now, I did wonder.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I cannot believe how good the OST for this game.

Just started this game and about an hour in, my god the piano and violin tracks are sooooooooooooo good.

I don't think I've heard such good melody in video games for quite a while.
Dat Noriyasu Agematsu. I'm looking forward to the new music in this entry, the OST from the previous three games is also fantastic.

t26

One is guaranteed to be still playable in 20 years, the other... not so much. Some people also don't like having their existing gaming library becoming unavailable if they decide to switch mobile platforms for non-gaming reasons.

I am willing to bet that Apple store will be around a lot longer than Vita PSN store. Whatever iphone release in the next 5-6 years will be able to play it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Speaking of compatibility issues, even though the TWEWY situation was shameful (and it sounds like the game may still come back), SE did fix the Chaos Rings games that had issues on iOS 8. Just to put things in perspective in regards to this particular series.

Goli

Speaking of compatibility issues, even though the TWEWY situation was shameful (and it sounds like the game may still come back), SE did fix the Chaos Rings games that had issues on iOS 8. Just to put things in perspective in regards to this particular series.

Shhhh SE is the company of the devil!!!!&#128127;&#128127;&#128128;&#128121;

This game is very high quality. I really hope we get the vita trilogy here because I'd like to play it on my TV and hear this beautiful soundtrack through my receiver.

Goli

Played for about 2 hours so far, and I like it a lot. The character models, as well as the way the battles flow remind me a lot of Xenosaga III for some reason, which is a good thing. I'm a little disappointed pair attacks are no longer a thing, since I felt they added a nice risk vs. reward element to battles, but the other new additions make up for it, I guess. It's strange how the game has no IAP but it has all these systems in place that make it seems it did have at some point in development before they were scrapped, but they work well with everything else, though I guess if you grind a lot on the colosseum you could end up getting super strong genes/equipment.
The only thing I find disappointing so far is the story, which seems very un-Chaos Ring-y so far, since it's a lot more lighthearted at the moment, in comparison, the three previous games had pretty dim outlooks early on (being trapped in a strange place with a pregnant woman or being forced to kill your friends, for example), but I guess as the story goes on themes related to evolution and survival of the fittest will end up appearing. Also Johannes and Mariv are basically Vieg and Vahti right?

nikos

Just bought it. Haven't played the other games in the series, with the exception of part of the first, but I heard this story is separate anyway. Will double dip on Vita for the previous games if it's released in NA.

About to dive in, hope it really hooks me.

Eh, if you want quality games, pay the price?
CRIII was also released on Vita in Japan as a full price game... because that's what it is.

A little misleading it came with the first three games.

I tried the first one and it was decent but too easy. Tried the next one and couldn't finish it. It was also too easy and while the first one wasn't a great story this was more of the same and couldn't hold my interest. From what I've played I wouldn't say these are full price games especially when something like Revelations 2 was a budget release.

M3d10n

I am willing to bet that Apple store will be around a lot longer than Vita PSN store. Whatever iphone release in the next 5-6 years will be able to play it.

Oh yes, of course the app store will still be around. However, there's no guarantee companies will keep patching their games for years and years to keep them working on future iOS versions, since Apple has no commitment whatsoever with backwards compatibly and there's no sure way to future proof iOS apps.

Goli

Finished Episode 1, where the game went from happy go lucky teen explorers on an uncharted planet full of wonders to Evangelion. So many things happened so quickly that it makes me wonder if that part was actually gonna be longer but for budget reasons or whatever they had to cram it all one cutscene after the other.
Leary goes missing, Al joins, they find Leary with her father in goat head's ship, her father comes back from the dead to protect her???, Leary gets her father's gift, goat head is revealed to have a disgusting mechanical body, he gets defeated and decides to kill everyone else in the ship, the MC loses an arm and suddenly they're all basically in hell after Leary magically softens the fall from the ship, Leary uses her father's gift to give back the MC his newly missing arm, Daisuke and Al get left behind as decoys for that giant monster that ate the other monsters...
It's a little too much. And now Elroux is a party member and she's basically Chaos from Xenosaga?? Also, I like the game but I feel like it suffers from the structure in place for quests. I think the game'd be better if it worked like a regular RPG without questing, since breaking it up like so makes the story flow feel broken as well. Or at least keep the main story questless and make the side stories quests, but not both.

nikos

I'm not sure how to progress, as I don't have a main scenario quest available. I'm about four and a half hours in, after
the Mocktopus gave birth.
I tried to do some sidequests
including the one where you get a pet
, but to no avail. The Spaceport says NEXT, but there are only side quests available.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom