• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that kinda bugs me is that this is movie has a problem that folks love to bring up for the MCU.

1. Weak villain pierce was Generic goon 20078 and the doctor guy was generic as shit.
2. Constant quipping from Logan and Charles that breaks the tension and felt kinda forced.

As a whole I'd say first class is probably a sligtly better film but Logan is probably the only one that could go to to toe against the dark knight.

Something that kinda bugs me is that this is movie has a problem that folks love to bring up for the MCU.

1. Weak villain pierce was Generic goon 20078 and the doctor guy was generic as shit.
2. Constant quipping from Logan and Charles that breaks the tension and felt kinda forced.

As a whole I'd say first class is probably a sligtly better film but Logan is probably the only one that could go to to toe against the dark knight.

I didn't think Logan was all that quippy? Not in comparison to Stark or Star Lord. I'll admit some of Xavier's lines felt really weird but I think part of that was the goal since he was losing his mind. I also think the quips served a purpose to lighten a very dark film, while in the MCU the quips are just there because it's the MCU. So like there was more of a writing purpose in them for Logan than their is for their constant use in the MCU if that makes sense.

Villain wasn't great though you won't hear me defend that. I think it's getting more of a pass because of how character focused it was but I wish we'd have had Sabertooth be the main baddy or replace X-24 or something. Probably my biggest disappointment with the film. I still think this ends up in my top 5 comic book movies right now though, considering that X2 is in that list and I think this as a whole was a better film.

Glassboy

That was fucking awesome. Action was the shit, Jackman and Stewart killed it, perfect ending to his character. Why even make a last of us movie at this point?

Speevy

Banned
Man, that last scene felt completely unearned and I did not like it. The movie had me until then, though.

Like...I don't think you could stretch out this film any more than it already was to "earn" anything.

My favorite part of the movie is that it had every opportunity to reference 8 million things that may have happened, things I was begging to know through flashbacks and news clippings, and it did nothing. It wisely ignored the continuity shit soup of the series.

creatchee

My favorite part of the movie is that it had every opportunity to reference 8 million things that may have happened, things I was begging to know through flashbacks and news clippings, and it did nothing. It wisely ignored the continuity shit soup of the series.

It could have very easily been in either of the two timelines if
post-The Last Stand's Xavier in a different body was ever competently explained in the actual films instead of director commentary
. Aside from that, I almost would like to consider Logan as non-canon. I wish studios had the courage to make more non-canon movies in various properties in order to explore and expand familiar characters and universes instead of establishing timelines that they never end up keeping completely congruent.

Kin5290

Like...I don't think you could stretch out this film any more than it already was to "earn" anything.

Less is more. Subdued can convey sadness as effectively as vocal sobs, would have been more in line with the characters, and is very much within the actor's ability. It felt more like a directorial decision than an acting one.

Daphne Keen is pretty damned good, that's for sure.

enemy2k

Logan was fucking awesome. Finally a movie where Wolverine fucks shit up in the most violent ways, it earned it's R rating. Wolverine is supposed to be savage and this movie had many savage moments. It was also an emotional movie at parts. I can't say much without spoiling anything but this is my favorite "comic book movie" since The Dark Knight. It felt grounded, real and ignored the silly "cinematic universe" and "let's save the world" shit. Jackman, Stewart and the little girl put in their best performances yet. Go see it.

Just seen this. Thought it was fucking amazing. So much more brutal than I thought.

I was a bit confused about some things though, namely
the other mutants being dead
. The Last X-Men movie I saw I believe was Xmen 3, which I don't even know if that is canon anymore and Logan follows on from it.

Is there anywhere good to read up on previous stuff?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just seen this. Thought it was fucking amazing. So much more brutal than I thought.

. The Last X-Men movie I saw I believe was Xmen 3, which I don't even know if that is canon anymore and Logan follows on from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6k918cu5m8&t=338s

Give this a watch. All will be clear.

That was fucking awesome. Action was the shit, Jackman and Stewart killed it, perfect ending to his character. Why even make a last of us movie at this point?

I agree. Specially because you could really see Jackman as Joel here, and x-23 as a more violent Ellie.

The movie was awesome, i think my testosterone levels peaked with it, lol.

I don't know if it has been posted yet, but this is the poster for the IMAX showing that they use here. It's magnificent.

Affiche-Logan.jpg

I really liked it. I haven't seen all of the Xmen movies so I didn't really feel any deep connection with the characters besides Logan/hugh jackman. I only started with X3 and then watched all the prequels.

The action is top notch, we finally get to see a violent wolverine. I'm not a fan of the father/daughter relationship stuff especially since this type of narrative is played out in SO MANY movies + games (Last of Us). And then in some parts...idk why it just seemed like the movie was trying really hard to be a dramatic/sad movie and it didn't look natural.

I still enjoyed it and I still think it's one of the better superhero movies to come out in the past few years. But I don't think it's some big, setting a new bar oscar worthy film some of ya'll are making it out to be. IMO Days of Future Past is still the best one.

3/5

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
On the Regal Club website. You could have redeem for that same poster but life size. It's great. I'm sure you can find some on eBay later.
Yep, was just about to post this. It's 58,000 points + $5 shipping. "48 x "70. Sold out tho :)

Raw.

Raw is the word I'd use to describe this film. The movie was dry, bare, brutal, depressing, and grim. Yet it was also honest, charming, and oh so wondrous. Never would a film like this have worked had we not enjoyed, endured, and suffered through the myriad of X-men films put out by Fox with Wolverine in them. It takes watching both the highs and the lows of the franchise to fully appreciate this last ride. It's not some explosive finale or grand climatic ending but rather a much more quiet and endearing swan songs to a character audiences have been with for years.

An an aspect of this film that I really liked was the use of the X-men comics. The character X-23 sees these comics as a hope to hang onto, a beacon of good in a world of the unjust. Logan however only sees it as a reminder as to all he is not, commenting how half the events in them didn't even happen and the other didn't unfold anything like they were written. In a way, one can view this as commentary over the entirety of the Logan we've known in the films. This is not the traditional Wolverine from the comics. He's far from it, in many aspects. Yet, in many ways, Hugh Jackman's portrayal has risen above those restraints and criticisms and crafted a truly fascinating character in the process. It's a character, whose arc is bolstered by the astounding performances of two other characters, an ailing Professor X and a volatile X-23.

Like others have said, this a character piece first and foremost and a superhero film afterwards. It's a journey for 3 characters who didn't want to be in the positions they currently found themselves in but ultimately had to deal with it. It's saddening. It's fucked up. Yet in the end, it's strangely the most hopeful comic book movie of all. At the end it shows that these types of films don't have to be restrained by the genre they're in. They can go above it and become something greater in the process.

This is one sendoff you do not want to miss.

Savitar

Decided to edit this, saw we got a massive spoiler thread there.

Best place to keep them all, plus it's been covered.

Just saw it. I loved the extremely grounded and gritty feel of the film. It really stands out from your standard comic book film.

MartyStu

Before I went it, I had no idea how the writers could possibly make a live-action 11 yo X-23 look believable

I was actually pretty impressed with how well she was handled.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Damn but the movie was a reminder of what a brilliant actor Patrick Stewart is, when he's allowed to stretch his legs a little*. Hearing him swear and seeing him so..fragile really hit me.

*yeah yeah I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom