• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

number11

When you see a trailer, you have a general idea about where the movie is heading. I loved how a certain moment in the movie was kept secret. I had no idea that was coming.

People used to get paid to write for that magazine.

Like, the kind of lazy bullshit people cough up onto forums voluntarily used to make someone like, 35-40 bucks an article.

that article, even.

GLENN DANZIG AS WOLVERINE was a suggestion that got someone paid.

So would this be a bad time to admit I briefly worked for the Wizard/Toy Fair, family of junky magazines around that time?

It was one of my first writing jobs. And yeah... you were expected to just free-ball, enthusiast non-sense. :p

How much did you get paid per piece?

I vaguely recall getting a single check in a given month for maybe $250, and that was while contributing seven or eight pieces across three magazines (Wizard, Toy Fair, and the Magic TCG hobbyist one whose name eludes me at the moment).

So... very, very little. Funny story though. Conversation pieces were frequently "written" by just a handful of folks gathering at the Nanuet, NY hobby/comic/game shop, and someone transcribing said conversation as best as they could recall later.

Mind you, I was maybe nineteen... so it felt like a glorious time to be alive. :p

when you're nineteen, aspiring to write for a living, and they pay you for that mess, you think you're a God. :p

You ain't even gotta be 19. There are 35-year old men doing essentially the same thing, for less money, right now.

Their "articles" are frequently the basis for a ton of shitty speculation-laden OPs on this very forum, too!

I love stories like that. The guys who made the Columbia House catalogs. The people who had to order the tapes for your rental store. The kind of jobs that could have only existed at a set period of time, that had barely any oversight because nobody in charge understood why the fuck there was even an audience for this shit. People sitting around transcribing comic book store conversations and selling them back to comic book stores. A guy who gets free electronics equipment and has to write 500 words on why this Dolby Pro Logic processor sounds better than that other one.

Those old obsolete corners of the entertainment industry (and the strange ways they mutated into new outlets online) are fascinating.

Watched it and I thought it was a brilliant dramaction film. Gonna really miss Jackman and Patrick for their roles as Logan and Xavier; just perfect casting. I got really teary eyed in the end. I was 10 years old when I watch the first film

End of an era :(

LosDaddie

Banned
Looking good so far! Sounds like the movie embraces the R ratings, which is one of the best things Deadpool did.

My bro had a new house built. So I'm spending most of Saturday helping him wire up his Man Cave and other odds & ends around the house before they move in. As a reward, my bro is paying for our tickets to Logan.

Dwayne

Sorry if someone's already asked, but do you need to have seen any of the previous Wolverine movies to see this movie? Thinking of taking my girlfriend but neither of us have seen any of the earlier films. I have basic X-Men knowledge, she probably has next to none. Still enjoyable? make sense? Thanks

Sorry if someone's already asked, but do you need to have seen any of the previous Wolverine movies to see this movie? Thinking of taking my girlfriend but neither of us have seen any of the earlier films. I have basic X-Men knowledge, she probably has next to none. Still enjoyable? make sense? Thanks

You don't really need to know anything from any of the previous movies. The characters fill in the blanks enough to keep everything moving.

notaskwid

I just watched The Wolverine. It was ok, but nothing special really.
The general opinion is that this one is much better?

Gonna watch this tonight in China, though it has been cut in some places due to the R rated content, I know I will still enjoy it. :)

Pachimari

3 hours till my showing. I'm not hyped but the excitement is growing a little. Been there since the first X-Men film, so it'll be nice seeing Hugh and Patrick go out with a bang.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's weird because usually I'm quite picky but hearing the repeated comments, I liked The Wolverine including the last third.

If Logan is several steps above that then I'm gonna have a ball

Mangold just tweeted this, I'm surprised it's that good
gwIjRNC.jpg

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
For me, this was better than the dark knight.
It spoke to me about real things most of us could be dealing with. Characters arent walking philosophic quotes; they are actual characters.

Kid Ying

Quite a good movie, but i think people that never got into the xmen franchise to begin with wont like this one as much. It loses a lot of its emotional punch If you are not invested in those characters.

I liked the interactions between the girl and Logan, but Logan with professor X is just amazing.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The movie is really good

But damn its such a sad movie too

the best x-men movie so far

No knowledge of previous movies needed

hamchan

This movie was incredible. This feels like the end of the franchise for me. Even if they make more why would I want to watch them when this ending is so perfect?

number11

Yep after watching this, I can't see how they can continue this franchise without rebooting / changing timelines again. After Logan, it's weird going back to 80s/90s era X Men and caring about what happens.

Renpatsu

With regards to TDK, Logan is a far more focused film that forces it's characters through the emotional wringer - I could definitely see people liking this more.

Edit: Also this film feels like Mangold just dropping the mic on the X-Men franchise.

I've only watched the first wolverine movie... Should i watch the second one before watching logan? Didn't liked the first one and wasn't really motivated to see the second

ZeroX03

Banned
I saw it. It's good. Bit more inspired than the Marvel Studios, and super violent to boot, including against kids.

But it's no masterpiece or anything on TDK. It's one of the best X-Men films though. Probably just behind First Class for me.

It doesn't feel like a spin-off or cash in or anything though. It stands strong on it's own separate of the other films, although I certainly wouldn't have had the same emotional connection if it wasn't for spending 17 years with Hugh Jackman's take on the character.

This movie was incredible. This feels like the end of the franchise for me. Even if they make more why would I want to watch them when this ending is so perfect?

I'm a big X-men fan and i feel the same, Mangold pretty much ended the entire franchise in a perfect way.

Theecliff

Banned
I've only watched the first wolverine movie... Should i watch the second one before watching logan? Didn't liked the first one and wasn't really motivated to see the second
origins and the wolverine aren't related to each other much, i don't think they're really meant to be seen as sequels. the x men series is a bit of a mess like that when it comes to figuring out where everything sits in relation to one another.

the wolverine is arguably a better film than origins but it's still pretty forgettable (which is a shame, because there's some pretty cool moments in it). personally i dunno whether it's necessary viewing for logan - someone else will have to say as i'm seeing it tomorrow - but i do think bobby mentioned you can go into this without any prior knowledge.

Carcetti

I just watched The Wolverine. It was ok, but nothing special really.
The general opinion is that this one is much better?

I tolerate a couple of X-movies and loathe the rest with a passion and thought Logan is maybe the best superhero movie I've ever seen. It's like a huge wave of clear water washing away Singer's stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom