• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to see Danny DeVito suggested for Wolverine as well. Fans get so fixated on superficial details like that. The Jean Claude Van Damme suggestion is another good example of superficial stuff taking precedent over an actual good choice.

Only bald people can play Luthor
Only redheads can play Mary Jane
Only short people can be Wolverine

Yup. Reminds me of the shit Michael Keaton went through when he got cast as Batman. Never mind the fact that he's the best actor to play the part but because he's not 6ft they throw a hissyfit.

pel1300

Logan is the highest rated film of all Marvel and Fox movies so far!!

Film critics average scores by chronological order:

Fox:
X-men: 7.1
X-men 2: 7.5
Fantastic 4: 4.5
X-men 3: 5.9
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer: 4.8
X-men Origins: Wolverine: 5.1
X-men: First Class: 7.4
The Wolverine: 6.3
X-men: Days of Future Past: 7.5
Fantastic Four (2015): 3.5 ----Lowest ranked, WOW!!!!
Deadpool: 6.9
X-men: Apocalypse: 5.6
Logan: 8.1 ---Niiiice!!!!!!!!

Marvel:

Iron Man: 7.7
The Incredible Hulk: 6.2
Iron Man 2: 6.5
Thor: 6.7
Captain America: 6.9
The Avengers: 8.0 ---highest of Marvel Studios
Iron Man 3: 7.0
Thor 2: The Dark World: 6.2
Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier: 7.6
Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.8
Avengers 2: Age of Ultron: 6.7
Ant-Man: 6.8
Captain America 3: Civil War: 7.6
Doctor Strange: 7.3

If going by all superhero films of the past 17 year...it is number 3:

1. The Dark Knight: 8.6
2. Spiderman 2: 8.3
3. Logan: 8.1
4 and 5. Tie: Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises: 8.0

Prompto

Banned

Fox:

Marvel:

Still plenty of time for that average rating to go down. You're going to jinx it :p

Illucio

Banned

Fox:

Marvel:

Superman 2 is 8.3? That doesn't sound right, even for a different time....

Fox:

Marvel:

Dark Knight Rises over Batman Begins? No way.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Great work!

How hard would it be for you to make a couple more tabs with the same sheet sorted by RT score and avg review?
You can't sort it? I thought you could sort by just clicking the top of the column and changing the sorting order?

kswiston

Ok, whew, scared me a for a second. It might've been cause I was updating the Logan scores.

Thanks for the work. I know the sample size was low, but Superman 2 having an 8.6 average Top Critics rating (the best of all time by 0.3) is craziness.

I feel like I am one of the few people who generally like comic films, but was never a huge fan of the Donner Superman stuff. At least among those fans who are in the 35+ club. No idea what sort of reception the old stuff gets with people born a decade or more after their release.

For a period of time, people tended to believe Superman II was the better film in every way, probably because of Zod, who became one of the internet's earliest memes. That plus the "It's the one where Superman gets beat up/it's the DARK one" probably came into play.

Plus there was the legend of the mythical DONNER CUT that never existed - until it actually did. And then people watched it.

People eventually came around to the idea Superman II is just kinda broken, no matter what version you watch.

For a period of time, people tended to believe Superman II was the better film in every way, probably because of Zod, who became one of the internet's earliest memes. That plus the "It's the one where Superman gets beat up/it's the DARK one" probably came into play.

Plus there was the legend of the mythical DONNER CUT that never existed - until it actually did. And then people watched it.

People eventually came around to the idea Superman II is just kinda broken, no matter what version you watch.

It's not as good as the first one, but it's still leagues better than III or IV. That combined with a more interesting story, villain, and action scenes makes it a fine movie even if it's generally not as well put together as Superman I.

JDHarbs

Thanks for the work. I know the sample size was low, but Superman 2 having an 8.6 average Top Critics rating (the best of all time by 0.3) is craziness.

I feel like I am one of the few people who generally like comic films, but was never a huge fan of the Donner Superman stuff. At least among those fans who are in the 35+ club. No idea what sort of reception the old stuff gets with people born a decade or more after their release.
As someone born in the early 90s, I didn't even know the Donner films existed until the Man of Steel launch hype. My only exposure to the character was the DCAU.

I'm kind of glad though, as I feel I can appreciate them more at an older age. The young me would've been bored to death.

Slaythe

Just came back from the theater.

Movie is pretty good. Some imperfections that are a bit questionable, but they're balanced out by all time high scenes.

Liked it a lot overall. The photography of the first 2/3 of the movie was fantastic.

Performance of all actors involved was stellar.

It's not as good as the first one, but it's still leagues better than III or IV. That combined with a more interesting story, villain, and action scenes makes it a fine movie even if it's generally not as well put together as Superman I.

I don't know that "it's better than III or IV" is really much of a reason to say it's a fine movie, though. It'd still be a pretty broken movie if III & IV were never made.

Which story are you saying Superman II is more interesting than, III & IV, or The Movie?

Holy fuck, opening day is tomorrow here and Logan is not playing in any theater in my town. First, no Lego Batman in English, now this. I can't even see it dubbed as that theater appears to be closed for a few weeks.

Lol, my most anticipated movie of the year and I'm gonna have to wait for the blu-ray. Well, I'll drown my sorrow with Zelda.

Also, fuck Superman 2, both versions. I adore the first one and 3 is a guilty pleasure.

Superman 3 is the one that's probably the most like a comic book from the era it was made in.

Definitely. The funny thing is that Superman 3 & 4, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are a lot closer to (some of) the comics than most fans would like to admit. Burton and Donner clearly didn't care.

I don't know that "it's better than III or IV" is really much of a reason to say it's a fine movie, though. It'd still be a pretty broken movie if III & IV were never made.

Which story are you saying Superman II is more interesting than, III & IV, or The Movie?

I personally think it's more interesting than The Movie, but that's just my opinion I guess. I always thought Luthor's plan was dumb and the whole finale of the movie with Superman reversing time to be a huge ass pull. I mean, him making up powers in the big fight with Zod at the end of II is arguably just as bad but at least the entire logic of the ending doesn't revolve around them. Plus I think that Zod and the Kryptonians add a level of active, physical threat to the movie that wasn't there when it was just Luthor and his lackeys. I also like the idea of Clark having to choose between being a normal human with Lois or being Superman; it's nice and dramatic and has some gravitas to it, even if it is a bit easily undone (though you get the cool scene of him flying in to save the day later on making it worth it).

Like I said, I think they are both good movies and to be honest I'd be hard pressed really choosing one over the other because I feel they exceed each other in different ways.

That era was on its last legs by 1983.

Comics as a whole were mostly trash, with brief glimpses of genius scattered throughout the decades.

There's not much of much worth paying attention to before the mid 80s, honestly. Comics are a whole lotta legitimate hackwork meant for a 5 minute read before disposal.

Just watched the film and I was blown away, the movie is very intense, sad and emotional at times.

I'll chat about it more tomorrow as it's 1:30am and I need to sleep but this is a great movie

Wvrs

Just got back from a late screening. Moved me to tears (I felt like I needed a drink by the end) and, although it's a bit early to call right now, it might be my favourite superhero film since The Dark Knight. Brilliant.

Comics as a whole were mostly trash, with brief glimpses of genius scattered throughout the decades.

There's not much of much worth paying attention to before the mid 80s, honestly. Comics are a whole lotta legitimate hackwork meant for a 5 minute read before disposal.
Off the top of my head, I can only recall Claremont's X-Men (including New Mutants), Miller's Daredevil and O'Neil's Batman as the legitimately good stuff before the mid '80s.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yup. Reminds me of the shit Michael Keaton went through when he got cast as Batman. Never mind the fact that he's the best actor to play the part but because he's not 6ft they throw a hissyfit.

What I thought was crazy was when posters got angry Ryan Reynolds wasn't swole enough to play deadpool. It's like...not everybody can walk around looking like Henry Cavil or Hugh Jackman. There's other things that go into a performance. A 30 something Dustin Hoffman played a super waspy newly graduated young man in Graduate. He kinda knocked it out of the park. I fully believe Hugh Jackman has given the wolverine character a dimension that wasn't present before in the comics. I thought it was awesome seeing him mentor a young and downtrodden Charles Xavier. Who would have thought.

Off the top of my head, I can only recall Claremont's X-Men (including New Mutants), Miller's Daredevil and O'Neil's Batman as the legitimately good stuff before the mid '80s.

Those were the three primary examples I was thinking of exactly.

Moore's stuff in the early 80s, too, but most people didn't find out about a lot of that shit until after like, 88.

Dr. Strange and Conan the Barbarian were good in the 70s, too. Arguably their best era.
There are some flashes of greatness in the 70s. More like slivers of something that could be truly great if you remove the cheese. Some of the greatest Spider-Man stuff was from there, but definitely needs some polishing.

J_Viper

Just watched the Unrated edition of The Wolverine for the first time.

It's really too bad how they dropped the ball in the third act, because everything from the Funeral fight scene to the 1 v 1 Sword Fight with Shingen is damn fine stuff.

I also didn't notice much of a difference from the theatrical version, barring the Logan vs Ninjas fight that was added back in, which was way less entertaining than it sounded.

Ricky_R

Fox:

Marvel:

Seeing SM2 having that rating makes me happy.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I also didn't notice much of a difference from the theatrical version, barring the Logan vs Ninjas fight that was added back in, which was way less entertaining than it sounded.

Made more sense in terms of the film's momentum though.

Logan hypes a big showdown with the ninjas with a staunch "go fuck yourself" and then...

Oh...oh he gets KO'd. Huh.

Those were the three primary examples I was thinking of exactly.

Moore's stuff in the early 80s, too, but most people didn't find out about a lot of that shit until after like, 88.
I'm not too familiar with Moore's early '80s work, aside from the fact that he started V for Vendetta back then. MarvelMiracleman too.

If we're counting '83 as the early '80s, then I should mention Simonson's Thor.

Anybody seen movies in Dolby Atmos theaters? I can either watch in that or IMAX ( the fake kind) on Thursday, which should I choose?

kswiston

I'm not too familiar with Moore's early '80s work, aside from the fact that he started V for Vendetta back then. MarvelMiracleman too.

If we're counting '83 as the early '80s, then I should mention Simonson's Thor.

Alan Moore started his Captain Marvel run around the same time that he started V and Miracle Man (1982?).

Having slept on it and given it more thought, it was just a brilliant movie, Hugh's performance was amazing probably the best acting I've seen him do. Felt so sorry for Charles in the movie, Patrick Stewart flipped this character on its head and brought a new side to him I never thought I would ever see.

So glad it was a 15 rated film (in the UK) coz it allowed for Logan and X-23 (who was equally as brilliant) to be let loose and finally do some real damage with the claws. The violence in this film is up there with John Rambo if not more at times.

Talking about the claws
seeing Logan's claws malfunction and one of the blades not come out properly and Logan's trying to pull it out later was amazing.

Caliban and Pierce were so well done and i have no real complaints at all with the movie.

This is up there with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as one of the greats imo

Having slept on it and given it more thought, it was just a brilliant movie, Hugh's performance was amazing probably the best acting I've seen him do. Felt so sorry for Charles in the movie, Patrick Stewart flipped this character on its head and brought a new side to him I never thought I would ever see.

So glad it was a 15 rated film (in the UK) coz it allowed for Logan and X-23 (who was equally as brilliant) to be let loose and finally do some real damage with the claws. The violence in this film is up there with John Rambo if not more at times.

Talking about the claws
seeing Logan's claws malfunction and one of the blades not come out properly and Logan's trying to pull it out later was amazing.

Caliban and Pierce were so well done and i have no real complaints at all with the movie.

This is up there with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as one of the greats imo

You should see The Fountain if you haven't already, for an amazing performance by Hugh Jackman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom