• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this.

Tried my best not to cry. Nicholas and Geoffrey my mates next to me were doing the same. We all wept. Amazing movie. Best marvel movie by a mile. Moving and epic. That R rating is used well. Very vicious and never gratuitous. You guys are in for a treat.

Hugh Jackman needs an Oscar for this. He was so good here. Will be incredible if he got nominated for this. He was supernova.

5/5

Patrick Stewart retiring from the franchise

A week ago, Friday night in Berlin, the three of us sat, watching the movie, and I was so moved by it, much more moved than I had been the first time of seeing it. Maybe it was the company of these two guys, but the movie ended and — this is an admission — but at one point [Hugh] reached out, and he took my hand in those last few minutes, and I saw him go [mimes wiping a tear from his eye] like this, and then I realized I had just done the same thing. Then, the movie ended… and we were going to be taken up on stage, but not until the credits were over. So, we had some time to sit there and, as I sat there I realized there will never be a better, a more perfect, a more sensitive, emotional, and beautiful way of saying au revoir to Charles Xavier than this movie. So, I told [Hugh] that same evening, ‘I’m done too. It’s all over.’

damn. Must've been quite a send off

It's a send off so good I basically wouldn't mind if they never made another X-Men movie for about a decade or so.

It's why I'm so happy there's no post credits scene. There's value in a good ending. You don't want anything to fuck it up.

kswiston

Is Patrick Stewart the only time that the internet ended up with the comic book movie casting that a large portion of them wanted when the film was still in the pre-production phase?

rekameohs

Banned
It's a send off so good I basically wouldn't mind if they never made another X-Men movie for about a decade or so.

It's why I'm so happy there's no post credits scene. There's value in a good ending. You don't want anything to fuck it up.
Despite some issues, I thought that DOFP was a perfect send-off for the supporting cast. I can take that and Logan as the conclusion to the "series".

kswiston

Weren't people lobbying the hell out of Cumberbatch as Strange?

Was that ahead of time or when he was rumored to be up for the role? I remember a push for Joaquin Phoenix before we started hearing about Cumberbatch. Maybe I just missed it.

Pretty much every fan casting I ran across in the 90s had Patrick Stewart as Prof X though.

Is Patrick Stewart the only time that the internet ended up with the comic book movie casting that a large portion of them wanted when the film was still in the pre-production phase?

Kelsey Grammer as Beast was what people wanted since at least the first X-Men movie.

Was that ahead of time or when he was rumored to be up for the role? I remember a push for Joaquin Phoenix before we started hearing about Cumberbatch. Maybe I just missed it.

Pretty much every fan casting I ran across in the 90s had Patrick Stewart as Prof X though.

Joaquin Phoenix was who Feige wanted. If I remember correctly, he threw a lot of money at the dude, too, but Phoenix ultimately backed out.

I know it's not superhero, but the most recent example of fans actually getting what they want was Glover as Lando.

But yeah, Stewart as the Professor had been fancasting since like, 1987.

kswiston

Joaquin Phoenix was who Feige wanted. If I remember correctly, he threw a lot of money at the dude, too, but Phoenix ultimately backed out.

I know it's not superhero, but the most recent example of fans actually getting what they want was Glover as Lando.

But yeah, Stewart as the Professor had been fancasting since like, 1987.

I went searching for the old Wizard issue from the mid-90s that fancasted an X-Men film, and it looks like Buzzfeed did a "20 years later" article on it. Their choices for those interested:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/h...-movie-in-1995?utm_term=.swekdJmm2#.ihBmbeZZB

Wolverine castings were always funny, because fans couldn't get past the comic version's 5'3" height as a limiting factor.

People used to get paid to write for that magazine.

Like, the kind of lazy bullshit people cough up onto forums voluntarily used to make someone like, 35-40 bucks an article.

that article, even.

GLENN DANZIG AS WOLVERINE was a suggestion that got someone paid.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I went searching for the old Wizard issue from the mid-90s that fancasted an X-Men film, and it looks like Buzzfeed did a "20 years later" article on it. Their choices for those interested:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/h...-movie-in-1995?utm_term=.swekdJmm2#.ihBmbeZZB

Wolverine castings were always funny, because fans couldn't get past the comic version's 5'3" height as a limiting factor.

Perfect example of how sometimes its good to deviate from comic.

Jack Man is Wolverine.

kswiston

People used to get paid to write for that magazine.

Like, the kind of lazy bullshit people cough up onto forums voluntarily used to make someone like, 35-40 bucks an article.

that article, even.

GLENN DANZIG AS WOLVERINE was a suggestion that got someone paid.

I used to see Danny DeVito suggested for Wolverine as well. Fans get so fixated on superficial details like that. The Jean Claude Van Damme suggestion is another good example of superficial stuff taking precedent over an actual good choice.

I used to see Danny DeVito suggested for Wolverine as well. Fans get so fixated on superficial details like that. The Jean Claude Van Damme suggestion is another good example of superficial stuff taking precedent after an actual good choice.

Only bald people can play Luthor
Only redheads can play Mary Jane
Only short people can be Wolverine

TB14

Bought my ticket for the 7 o'clock Thursday night showing today using Atom Tickets. First time I'd heard of the site. My closest theater is an hour away, so I don't see many movies. Was thinking about also seeing John Wick 2 while I'm there. Really tempted to now with all of these $5 off promo codes. Both over 2 hours, though. Yay or nay?

D i Z

The studio never really did any of the characters right. Imagine what Hugh and Patrick could have done if they had been given a series, or a script with some depth, or anything with more complexity. Anything with commentary. They both did admirably with what they had, and they're iconic for the roles. But they and we should have had better.

Footnote. I can't wait to see how they finish the show.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

I still have that issue at my parents house. I would draw that Cyclops cover while in 7th grade science class every day.

Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were the sole guests on tonights Graham Norton show in the UK - S02 E19 - with a very special guest making an extended appearance. Easily, easily, easily one of the best TV interviews I have ever seen, the two of them are just magical to watch together.

UK viewers can watch the episode here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ghp4k

It should go up on youtube/etc for US and other places in a few days.

Prompto

Banned
The amazing thing is since wrapping this movie and editing it I never knew what The Last of Us was so I discovered in post production when stills started come out and people started to comment that the film bared a resemblance to The Last of Us I discovered only then what The Last of Us was, which is a very cool game I might add. Would I wanna make The Last of Us into a movie? Well I think u/ImprobableIT is probably right, there are tonal similarities unintentional, but real tonal resonances between the two projects so I'm not sure it’s that inviting for me. But i do really enjoy playing the game.
Source

Sorry gaf, but James Mangold doesn't seem all that interested in directing a Last of Us movie.

Litan

PWojY2X.jpg

Longest interview ever. Good thing Jackman is immortal.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
All I got to say is, Comic Book fans are lucky to of had such fucking perfect casting for Xmen for those three characters. Both young and old.

FinKL

Any IMAX impressions? Didn't know it was in IMAX until today. Wondering if the whole film is in IMAX or like Civil War, it's only a specific scene.

Theecliff

Banned
going in a few days

funnily enough i'm still not really excited yet. i guess i can't shake this idea from my head that this film would be disappointing again a la the wolverine so the fact that this has reviewed very favourably hasn't sunk in yet. if it's as good as people are saying maybe that'll work in my favour and i'll end up blown away

Carcetti

Saw it and it's a great movie.

It's a great movie about people who used to be superheroes but it's not a superhero movie. It's operating on the style and the logic of totally other genres.

Only X-movie ever worth a damn too.

A- from AV Club.

What’s special about Logan is that it manages to deliver the visceral goods, all the hardcore Wolverine action its fans could desire, while still functioning as a surprisingly thoughtful, even poignant drama—a terrific movie, no “comic-book” qualifier required. Yes, Wolverine finally goes berserk with those claws. But it may be the moments where he doesn’t that cut deepest.

Depends on how Fox pushes em come this November/December. If they even remember to do that.

People at this time last year were thinking Goodman could have gotten one for 10 Cloverfield Lane. But I don't think he was pushed, and so it didn't happen.

Depends on how Fox pushes em come this November/December. If they even remember to do that.

People at this time last year were thinking Goodman could have gotten one for 10 Cloverfield Lane. But I don't think he was pushed, and so it didn't happen.

Yeah, unless the movie generates an ocean of money coming out this early is basically a death sentence for any sort of critical acclaim come Oscar season. People's memory just isn't that long, and all the other big hitters are going to be releasing in closer proximity. Plus, you know, comic book movie :(

So I've seen the first 3 X-Men movies, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine. I remember next to nothing about those movies other than I hated X3 and X-Men Origins. In the lead up to me seeing Logan I would like to watch the whole X-Men movie series minus X3 and Origins (and maybe The Wolverine which I thought was fine). How viable is that? What I do remember about X3 is that a slew of important characters die and I haven't seen Days of Future Past yet but my understanding is that it fixes a lot of X3 problems. I guess to be caught up on the X-Men movie story arch what's required viewing and what isn't?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So I've seen the first 3 X-Men movies, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine. I remember next to nothing about those movies other than I hated X3 and X-Men Origins. In the lead up to me seeing Logan I would like to watch the whole X-Men movie series minus X3 and Origins (and maybe The Wolverine which I thought was fine). How viable is that? What I do remember about X3 is that a slew of important characters die and I haven't seen Days of Future Past yet but my understanding is that it fixes a lot of X3 problems. I guess to be caught up on the X-Men movie story arch what's required viewing and what isn't?
I think you're r good. The newer mainline ones aren't even mentioned tbh

MarveI

They're very good but I'd be surprised if the Academy even bats them an eye.

Yeah was thinking that too. Even if by any miracle they do bat an eye the release date makes it even more impossible too.

Really wanted Patrick to at least get his first nom (he might never get another one).
Performance aside, losing 21 pounds for a role, for a 70 year old is remarkable. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom