• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

G6tPU.jpg

vqjzo.jpg

It was totally business as usual at San Romero high, just another regular BLAH-ISH monday! I was on break between classes while hardcore GUSHING on my boyfriend Nick, when...OMG, FUCKING ZOMBIES! Where did these smelly losers come from? Me and Nick got like, seperated when everything just broke out in a total riot! Friends getting chomped on! Cars overturned! My skirt got slightly ripped! I then turned and saw my beloved Nicky getting dragged under by a bunch of dead-heads! Fortunately, I had my chainsaw handy and fought my way to him! But...he'd been bitten. Daddy taught me enough about Zombies that I knew Nick didn't have much time left! So I did what any level-headed girl would do! I sawed his head off to save him from the nightmare of being turned into a drooling cannibal!

But what was like, going ON? I mean, R U 4 REELZ? Zombies? Where did they come from? I think it might have something to do with the creepy art student, SWAN! At first I thought he was just emo, but now he's suddenly gone aggro on everyone at San Romero high! With Nick, my two sisters and my pop, I'm gonna cut my way to the heart of this ABSOLUTELY UNCOOL undead apocalypse!

x51fn.jpg

eOOWr.jpg

fYxKA.jpg

At it's core, Lollipop Chainsaw is a hack n' slash brawler action game similar to Suda 51's No More Heroes in terms of basic functionality, but the fighting system has been expanded greatly to support more depth, options and modifiers for your zombie killing enjoyment.

You have your weak and hard chainsaw attacks, a bevy of navigational flips, rolls and dodges, but you also have a whole host of cheerleader attacks to choose from. These are melee strikes Juliet performs that are much quicker than using the chainsaw and are best used for multidirectional crowd control. But there is also a variety of subsystems available! Such as:

LUOgj.jpg

Sparkle Hunting: This mode triggers when 3 or more zombies have been killed at the same time with a single attack. If Juliet can keep the kills going in a successfull chain, her score will multiply even higher! Points accumulated during this can go towards buying things in the Chop to Shop store!

jO22o.jpg

Nick Tickets: During battle, Juliet will earn "Nick Tickets" which she can then redeem for different subweapons involving Nick's head in some way. These will be temporary and can vary from a grenade launcher to explosive soccer ball kicks!

vqXwu.jpg

Nick Toss: With the Nick Toss, you can whip your boyfriend's head around with extreme prejudice! Damaging zombies within a wide radius!

QquBD.jpg

SOS: Periodically, Juliet will arrive just in time to help save fellow students from the undead hordes, she will have to overcome many obstacles to get to them in time! Don't give up!

TaNSf.jpg

Chop 2 Shop: A perpetual mall-on-demand for Juliet and all her spending desires! Here you can buy health and perk upgrades, new moves to add to her arsenal, artwork, music, and lots more!

n092L.jpg

An army of undead bosses await to stop Juliet from ruining Swan's plans! Each one represents a different musical style, and each are a spectacle to behold!

pTlVB.jpg
hIRhR.jpg

YIlEx.jpg
KLJvq.jpg

WOmXC.jpg

asmlI.jpg

SIh2U.jpg

(click to enlarge!)

8Wqut.jpg

LollipopChainsaw_11c.gif

7003trailers.jpg

CG Announcement Trailer/Japanese Action Trailer

Zom-B-Gone Trailer/Behind The Voice Acting Trailer

Akira Yamaoka Music Trailer

969screens.jpg

rock3_s.jpg
Lollipop-Chainsaw_2012_02-01-12_008.jpg_600.jpg

highres_screenshot_00110-copy.jpg
27.jpg

37cosplay.jpg

2416originald.jpg

680911.jpg

9801Lollipop_Chainsaw_Akihabara.jpg

9026lollipop-chainsaw-jessica-nigri.jpg

2397original.jpg

LollipopChainsaw_02.gif

REVIEWS:

Famitsu: 9/9/9/9
Destructoid: 9/10
Geekrevolt: 9/10
GamingUnwrapped: 9.5/10
GamingAge.com: A-
Frictionless Insight: 3/5
GamesRadar: 6/10

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
will be picking up next friday thought it wasnt coming out till october would of cut back on the retro stuff for it oh well cant wait

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, and good job on the OP, OP.

Preordered this from Amazon when it was $45... hopefully the PS3 version was the right choice.

I finished it after 5 hours

My score: 9/10

Gameplay: 7/10
Graphics: 6.5 /10
Sound: 9/10 (dat OST)
Replay value: 9/10

Unlockables:

Combos
Costumes
Soundtrack
Concept art
Difficulties
Level-Up your Character

+ many Collectables
+ Extra modes

This game is like no more heroes...just better.

If you don't like Suda51 games you will not like Lollipop chainsaw.

kunonabi

I was mildy excited for this until a few days ago but I'm super jazzed for it now. It's going to be one of the last 3 console games I buy this year so I hope it turns out well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's a shame the discounted preorder on Amazon is over. I managed to preorder it for $45. Sadly, it's back to $60 now.

Bah, I want that Amazon costume but I don't want to wait for shipping :l

Why do you not have Prime, good sir?

It's a shame the discounted preorder on Amazon is over. I managed to preorder it for $45. Sadly, it's back to $60 now.

Why do you not have Prime, good sir?

I did have the prime trial, but I can't justify the annual cost when I do so little shopping on Amazon. I'm guessing the preorder just comes with a code? Wonder if it's reusable...

Kazzy

Apparently Amazon UK offer both their pre-order costume, as well as the Best-Buy one too.

I really want to like this, love NMH, but was pretty cold on Shadows of the Damned, which played it almost too safe for my liking.

cj_iwakura

it's the suda51-humor, not a sex-sells-game. but you'll only get it when you play it. so it depends on your taste, like always :)

People should quit throwing around Suda's name. He has about as much to do with this game as Robert Rodriguez had to do with Predators(just about nothing).

I'm still interested in the game, but there's no way it'll have that Suda pedigree.

Kazzy

People should quit throwing around Suda's name. He has about as much to do with this game as Robert Rodriguez had to do with Predators(just about nothing).

I'm still interested in the game, but there's no way it'll have that Suda pedigree.

Maybe, but then again, that could mean it has a great concept and plays well.

well he was the creative director of lollipop chainsaw

While Suda51 directed stuff goes in way more interesting directions usually, it seems like both Suda51 and the writer James Gunn share a sort of exploitation film-with-heart humor style. I'm definitely going to get this game since I like both of their work.

Kazzy

No More Heroes played great. I think he just got too busy afterward to keep directing games. I hope Killer Is Dead brings back his knack for storytelling that everything since has lacked.

Solidly I'd say, not great. I played it through a couple of times, so obviously the appreciation is there. I just would have liked a little more nuance to the combat, a lot of the later bosses turned into nothing more than battles of attrition.

It was a wonder satire of games in general, but it cut it a little too close at times, and I think people have a tendency to overlook a lot of flaws based on its charm alone.

Miiiight pick this up on friday. Not sure yet. It looks like there's enough bonuses and secret stuff to unlock, which is good. Still a bit concerned with the game mechanics.

Kazzy

But we already had Shadows of the Damned.

It did nothing past the initial stages, I was disappointed with just how generic and straightforward it all quickly became. I'd still rank NMH as superior, despite its apparent flaws.

I've been excited about this since I played it at PAX last year. The combat felt really good then, and they have had months to polish it up. Got it pre-ordered and will be picking it up alongside Gravity Rush on Tuesday.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It did nothing past the initial stages, I was disappointed with just how generic and straightforward it all quickly became. I'd still rank NMH as superior, despite its apparent flaws.

So you're saying SOTD would have been better if it had shitty mini games and a bad open world that served no purpose?

SUPARSTARX

Got an early copy. Played like 2 hours of this. Only cuz Jessica Nigri told me so! I liked it. It's not exceptional but it's pretty fun to play and watch.

Kazzy

So you're saying SOTD would have been better if it had shitty mini games and a bad open world that served no purpose?

No, but by the same-token I can't wholeheartedly recommend SOTD to anyone either. Its style of gameplay is so by the book, that its easy to draw a comparison to games that do it so much better. Conversely, it doesn't do enough with its premise, like NMH does to drag it above the competition.

If you're going to pull the quirky card, at least do with gusto. I just get the impression that SOTD held back somewhat.

No, but by the same-token I can't wholeheartedly recommend SOTD to anyone either. Its style of gameplay is so by the book, that its easy to draw a comparison to games that do it so much better. Conversely, it doesn't do enough with its premise, like NMH does to drag it above the competition.

If you're going to pull the quirky card, at least do with gusto, I just got the impression that SOTD held back somewhat.

well, yeah, but it had the Legend of the Stinky Crow.

I feel like Suda51 directed games tend to give bad first impressions due to graphics and/or weird, experimental gameplay choices, but the more you examine them you realize they're well-crafted and thought out. NMH1 vs NMH2 is a good example of this in my opinion. NMH2 is flashy and seems fine on the surface level, but the closer you examine it the more it feels kinda broken and half-finished. NMH1 is the opposite, looks like it must be broken but a lot of thought obviously went into its various systems so that they work together well.

A good example are the minigames in both: in NMH1 it has weird lawn-mowing and coconut collecting minigames, but the way the game is crafted you only have to play each minigame once for 3 minutes each, which unlocked the more fun combat missions which gave more money. In NMH2 you can skip the minigames if you just wanna play the main plot, but if you want money for the extras, you have to grind the minigames and there's no other option.

As for Lollipop Chainsaw, its hard to say how good it is before playing it, but I'll be picking it up anyhow. Even the worst Grasshopper games usually do things interestingly enough to make me enjoy playing them. Plus I really like James Gunn, Slither and Super were great.

Torraz

I finished it after 5 hours

My score: 9/10

Gameplay: 7/10
Graphics: 6.5 /10
Sound: 9/10 (dat OST)
Replay value: 9/10

Unlockables:

Combos
Costumes
Soundtrack
Concept art
Difficulties
Level-Up your Character

+ many Collectables
+ Extra modes

This game is like no more heroes...just better.

If you don't like Suda51 games you will not like Lollipop chainsaw.

Does it have any annoying mechanics like the "jack off motion to recharge your sword constantly" like no more heroes?

I feel like Suda51 directed games tend to give bad first impressions due to graphics and/or weird, experimental gameplay choices, but the more you examine them you realize they're well-crafted and thought out. NMH1 vs NMH2 is a good example of this in my opinion. NMH2 is flashy and seems fine on the surface level, but the closer you examine it the more it feels kinda broken and half-finished. NMH1 is the opposite, looks like it must be broken but a lot of thought obviously went into its various systems so that they work together well.

A good example are the minigames in both: in NMH1 it has weird lawn-mowing and coconut collecting minigames, but the way the game is crafted you only have to play each minigame once for 3 minutes each, which unlocked the more fun combat missions which gave more money. In NMH2 you can skip the minigames if you just wanna play the main plot, but if you want money for the extras, you have to grind the minigames and there's no other option.

As for Lollipop Chainsaw, its hard to say how good it is before playing it, but I'll be picking it up anyhow. Even the worst Grasshopper games usually do things interestingly enough to make me enjoy playing them. Plus I really like James Gunn, Slither and Super were great.

if you haven't seen The Specials, i recommend it.

Does it have any annoying mechanics like the "jack off motion to recharge your sword constantly" like no more heroes?

how would that work on a 360 pad?

Top Bottom