• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London football fan who fought attackers barehanded shouted 'F*** you, I’m Millwall'

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
If we as a society all stood up to these assholes and had the balls like he did we'd have nothing to worry about.

Edit: minus the racism of course!

I like how everyone who knew anything about Millwall was just waiting for this happen.

Anyone with the tinniest bit of knowledge about Millwall fans could have predicted this.

Pretty much. Out of all the fans from various clubs (including my own) that have less-than-stellar histories, Millwall fans are easily the cuntiest of the lot.

Oh so he's not so much a hero as he is the right man in the wrong place making all the difference in the world.

Regardless good on him for fighting a brown man who was intent on doing harm to others.

But boo for his general racism.

DBT85

I am shocked. Shocked. I was going to say something at the time but held my tongue since he'd fought an actual terrorist.

daviyoung

Banned
I need some culturally translation here, what's the American equivalent of Millwall in NFL?

There probably isn't one. It's a mediocre club that has a fervent fanbase who regularly get into plenty mischief (read: jail) and have a real historic hatred for another club that plays about 1/2 mile away.

He fought back against armed men trying to kill people.

For that, he's a hero. Even if for just that one night.

Now, if he wants to fuck up his image with racist comments, well, that's why I tell people to be careful about who you worship.

But for one night, when the shit hit the fan, he stood up and fought back when everyone else was running and screaming. So, he gets props for that, if only for that.

I was shocked that all he said was Fuck you, I'm Millwall at the time. Totally would have expected racial slurs to follow that statement. Though those expectations are in keeping with how Millwall fans are portrayed in things I've seen 'em in. (TV docs, etc. I have no real first hand experience of 'em.)

I need some culturally translation here, what's the American equivalent of Millwall in NFL?

I'm not sure if you're going to find one.

Millwall are a small club from a down-at-heal white working class part of south east London. When UK hooliganism was at its worst they were up there with the worst firms in the land (Chelsea, West Ham, Cardiff, Birmingham) but had a reputation for viciousness, racism and fighting amongst themselves. When hooliganism virtually disappeared in the nineties, Millwall persisted and are still known for violence to this day

This is MIllwall people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPCUhkZvExQ

Lots of people called it because everyone knows exactly what they are like.

I don't understand why people are surprised, or why people are trying to claim credit for 'calling it'. Larner called it himself the moment he told the world that he's Millwall.

I mean it shouldn't be a surprise, he's a Millwall fan....

2b3059ff-35af-4ce0-9bd6-991f1844be72

Take the success of the Detroit Lions, then pretend the negative perception of Raiders fans was actually justified, multiply all that by ten and you're close to Milwall and its fans.

He fought back against armed men trying to kill people.

For that, he's a hero. Even if for just that one night.

Now, if he wants to fuck up his image with racist comments, well, that's why I tell people to be careful about who you worship.

But for one night, when the shit hit the fan, he stood up and fought back when everyone else was running and screaming. So, he gets props for that, if only for that.

Even a racist clock strikes an actually bad foreigner twice a day.

Take the success of the Detroit Lions, then pretend the negative perception of Raiders fans was actually justified, multiply all that by ten and you're close to Milwall and its fans.
This would be a correct comparison if Milwall played in the EPL but it doesn't. They play in a third rate league that's a couple notches above being an amateur team. Comparing them to an NFL team doesn't work.

This would be a correct comparison if Milwall played in the EPL but it doesn't. They play in a third rate league that's a couple notches above being an amateur team. Comparing them to an NFL team doesn't work.

While this is essentially correct I feel like I have to point out that Millwall are now in the second tier and proper amateur teams are found somewhere below the 7th or possibly 8th tier.

Jezbollah

That third rate league is probably just below the standard of the MLS :)

Arials

...they play in the Championship and average 11,000 supporters at every match. They're no where near being just "a couple notches above being an amateur team".

The actual reason comparing them to an NFL team wouldn't work is American franchise leagues tend to settle at one team per city. In English football every city will have multiple pro teams, London having many more than most, so people have multiple local(ish) teams to chose from meaning certain types of people can end up gravitating to the same club.

Top Bottom