• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long-requested sequels that are monumentally disappointing

Oppo

ResidentDante said:
I couldn't wait for this one. The excellent WipEout series from the PS1 was finally hitting PS2. It had loops and huge, wide tracks and ship upgrades etc. Ended up with the worst controls in a racing game for a long while and messy presentation. I just can't get over how bad it controlled.

250px-Wipeoutfusion_cover.jpg

I'm sorry, you are mistaken. This game does not exist. It must have been a nightmare.

I know, I was relieved as well.

Derrick01

Banned
I remember people not liking Deus Ex: Human Revolution but I personally enjoyed it.

Most people like Human Revolution. No it's not as good or memorable as the first game but it's definitely a worthy game in the series unlike IW.

My choice is Splinter Cell Conviction. The original idea of the game was kind of cool even though Fisher was sporting the emo look but the game we got was such a rape of what made the franchise unique. So disappointing.

edit: Syndicate is another good choice. What a piece of shit that game was, I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.

Sojgat

We're bringing back Syndicate!

OMGGGGG!

Oh but wait it's a piece of shit on rails corridor shooter that uses a few gadgets from the original game and bits and pieces of original music hooks.

FFUUUUUUU!

Syndicate was great, the best thing EA has put out in a while. People who thought EA would make another RTT Syndicate game were monumentally delusional.

There are some great games in this thread and most were hardly long requested. Very few games in this thread meet either of the requirements.

For me i'll go with the singleplayer of starcraft 2 (the MP is still awesome). I waited over 10 years to see the story continued and frankly it was absolute garbage despite the immense amount of time and money that went into it. So much anticipation was just crushed and the story/universe have forever been ruined.

Jagged Alliance: Back In Action - which came out this year.

Technically, I guess it's a remake of JA2, but they managed to screw up everything that made the 1999 game great.

jett

D-Member
There are some great games in this thread and most were hardly long requested. Very few games in this thread meet either of the requirements.

For me i'll go with the singleplayer of starcraft 2 (the MP is still awesome). I waited over 10 years to see the story continued and frankly it was absolute garbage despite the immense amount of time and money that went into it. So much anticipation was just crushed and the story/universe have forever been ruined.

Yes, the Starcraft 2 campaign is also a good choice. Just what the the fuck at the cliché ridden dialogue and storyline? Every single line seemed stolen from generic action movies.

Gustav

Banned
Most people like Human Revolution. No it's not as good or memorable as the first game but it's definitely a worthy game in the series unlike IW.

My choice is Splinter Cell Conviction. The original idea of the game was kind of cool even though Fisher was sporting the emo look but the game we got was such a rape of what made the franchise unique. So disappointing.

edit: Syndicate is another good choice. What a piece of shit that game was, I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.

Monumentally disappointing, though?

Shaffield

Agreed. Especially the post(s?) mentioning Mass Effect 2.
It was just over two years, and everyone knew there was a sequel in the making.

Its also not disappointing at all, but that's not really a point worth arguing.

Frankfurt

Banned
Crysis 2.

Not that "long-requested", but I can't think of many sequels more dissapointing than that one. It isn't an awful game, just incredibly, incredibly mediocre compared to the first one. The fact some people try to say C2 isn't "that" linear and that C1 isn't "that" open and still "just wider linear paths" is pretty baffling. Crysis 1 is a game i can play 50 times, Crysis 2 is a game you play once and there's nothing else to experience but a series of scripted, hand-holding setpieces.

I don't really think MGS4, Mario Sunshine, GTA4 or FF13 count as a "long requested sequel" since we all knew they were coming for sure and were released not too far away from their past release.

Long requesting sequels are more in the lines of NiGHTS 2, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom etc.

90sRobots

Pretty much any dead franchise Sega trotted out like the saggy, overused whores they are.

Nights Wii, Golden Axe Beast Rider, Toe Jam and Earl 3, Shinobi 2002, etc.

Vlodril

Mafia_II_Boxart.jpg

Absolute stinker, had none of the uniqueness or individuality of the first game. It was just a bland cover shooter with a huge empty city. Pretty to look at, nothing of substance below the surface though. Undoubtedly the biggest let down of this gen for me.

How can a man be so wrong is beyond me. The game oozed charm and atmosphere. Also had pretty memorable characters.

Do people who keep listing next games in trilogies, or sequels that came a year or two later, realize what long-requested and monumentally disappointing means? A Goldeneye sequel would fit, SSX, Fallout, (though I wouldn't necessarily agree with those) but games in an active long running series or doesn't really change much between sequels?

Mass Effect doesn't belong in here even if the sequels were bad. There have been 3 games in the damned series in a single generation. People never even got the chance to beg. Some of you guys must be really young or something.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl. UGH.
How could I forget this?

So bad...

evilive7

Banned
Crackdown 2. I loved the first game. Its amazing to see a company find out exactly what made the first game fun and then remove it completely from the sequel.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Crackdown 2. I loved the first game. Its amazing to see a company find out exactly what made the first game fun and then remove it completely from the sequel.

That one killed the franchise for me, and showed that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about it.

Pociask

Already been said, and it's worth repeating - Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. The drop off in quality is just astounding. They had the pedigree and expectations for a GOTY or GOTG, and delivered a complete snoozer.

NinjaBoiX

Can someone explain to me why SSX 2012 was disappointing? Haven't played the game yet, but people were pretty optimistic before the game came out.
They made a load of decent tracks, then went a made huge holes everywhere. Seriously, it's like a level designer took the finished tracks, then went at it randomly with the "erase" tool. I mean, its still great, but its like they went out of their way to spoil the fun.

sonicmj1

Pretty much any dead franchise Sega trotted out like the saggy, overused whores they are.

Nights Wii, Golden Axe Beast Rider, Toe Jam and Earl 3, Shinobi 2002, etc.

I see where you're coming from with all the other games, but what was wrong with PS2 Shinobi? It's one of the better action games on the PS2.

90sRobots

I see where you're coming from with all the other games, but what was wrong with PS2 Shinobi? It's one of the better action games on the PS2.

Terrible camera, stupidly difficult. Then games like God of War and Devil May Cry 3 came out and it was an even bigger turd by comparison.

a lot of these picks are neither 'long requested' or 'monumentally disappointing'. They're really just mediocre sequels that people are trolling.

d1rtn4p

Syndicate
Crackdown 2
Diablo 3 - Long requested and disappointing to me off the aesthetic alone. Not a fan of the WOW look at all; doesn't strike me as being nearly as foreboding as the dark,gothic look of the other two games.
And I'm foreseeing that X-COM will also disappoint.

Mafia_II_Boxart.jpg

Absolute stinker, had none of the uniqueness or individuality of the first game. It was just a bland cover shooter with a huge empty city. Pretty to look at, nothing of substance below the surface though. Undoubtedly the biggest let down of this gen for me.

How can a man be so wrong is beyond me. The game oozed charm and atmosphere. Also had pretty memorable characters.

I'm with Wildesy on this one. Mafia 2 is a hollow game compared to the original. I was very disappointed by it.

I'd also throw in

Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution_cover.jpg

It's a decent game but it never comes close to capturing the open feel of the original (except maybe the police station early on), mostly due to the limitations of the maps and the reduction in skills (Hacking is too friggin important). It also starts to feel ridiculously rushed late in the game and the last level is utter utter rubbish. Oh and unskippable terribad bosses (who of course have zero backstory or relevance to the plot other than for BOSS BATTLE TIME!

ghibli99

OP definitely nailed it w/ NiGHTS 2. Saturn game (and Christmas NiGHTS) were my favorite games on the system (up there with PDS, Sakura Taisen, RS, etc.), but the sequel... not terrible, but after such a long wait, I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

Top Bottom