• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long time ESPN host Chris Berman stepping down - taking new role with company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...g-espn-nfl-host-role-remains-network-new-deal

Chris Berman is stepping down from his post of hosting ESPN's NFL studio programming after 31 seasons but will remain with the network in a number of different roles after signing a new contract on Thursday.

Berman, a six-time National Sportscaster of the Year honoree, will remain as ESPN's host of NFL Primetime highlights after the NFL championship week games and the Super Bowl, and will have a role on Monday Night Countdown, offering opinion and perspective on historical events in the NFL. He will also call an MLB division series for ESPN Radio and be part of the ESPY Awards.

Chris Berman on the set for one of his signature segments -- the Two Minute Drill. Ben Fawkes
Berman will also make appearances on-air in other capacities and serve in other public-facing roles for the company, ESPN said in a statement. He will no longer host the NFL draft or Major League Baseball's Home Run Derby.

No_Style

Why do people not like Berman? I only see his NFL contributions and it's been harmless at worst. I always get a kick when he gives the CFL a nod.

Mik317

What's the hate for Berman again? I never remember anything offensive from him over the years.

he is a giant asswhipe behind the scenes. Like sexual assaults, being a jerk to his team..and other things.

I figure most people on TV are...so it doesn't bother me much but thats why.

I do think his time was done tho, the game has passed him by and he looked real awkward with guys like Moss this season.

Why do people not like Berman? I only see his NFL contributions and it's been harmless at worst. I always get a kick when he gives the CFL a nod.

He's loud, obnoxious and boorish and his schtick is old as fuck. Listen to him call a game and then listen to, say, Vin Scully do it and note the differences. One person is trying to put themselves over while the other is simply there to complement the action.

OldMan

Banned
He's loud, obnoxious and boorish and his schtick is old as fuck. Listen to him call a game and then listen to, say, Vin Scully do it and note the differences. One person is trying to put themselves over while the other is simply there to complement the action.
I wouldn't be listening to him if local is an option. You get what you get with Berman.

gimmmick

Stopped watching NFL prime time with the creation of the nfl network. Though they did have best promo music when doing high lights.

Thank god.

Y'know, I'm sure Chris Berman is a great guy, a good father, and all else (I really have no idea just giving him the benefit of the doubt). But he is the most god awful sports anchor behind the mic or on camera. When he's hosting a show and getting out of the way, he's fine, but when he's behind the mic doing play by play, there is absolutely nobody worse than Berman. I haven't listened to him call a baseball game in years, but that's the case with football at least.

That all said, NFL PrimeTime from 7:30-8:30 on ESPN on Sundays was must see TV for me from 1994 - 2000 or so, with Berman and Tom Jackson. It was my favorite hour in sports (well half hour initially, then hour). And then ESPN ruined it when they changed the format in the early 2000s, but then NFL Network and eventually NFL RedZone and YouTube came along and so the half hour recap show was pretty much dead anyway.

There's nobody worse than him, which is why he only gets to call one live game a year (thank god), the week 1 10:35 (EST) game, which is usually a west coast snoozer between San Diego and San Francisco or two equally talentless teams.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Eh, his rant was pretty tame. Not a reason to hate the guy (though there are other reasons).

Agreed with all of this. It's such a pain to have to listen to him do anything. However...

He absolutely has some funny WHOOP moments. Sometimes it's just funny.

No_Style

I never heard him call a game. I mostly know him from Countdown and 2 minute highlight thing he does. I've heard of his "back back back" schtick at baseball but never watched any of that stuff personally.

Thanks for the insights, everyone.

BadAss2961

Didn't know Berman had haters. Wouldn't exactly say i'm a fan, but he's one of those personalities ESPN won't be the same without.

That whole network is falling apart. Boring and unrecognizable now. Each sport's own network is way better for coverage and analysis.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I knew this was going to happen once I saw That new NFL Sunday countdown crew .... he looked so out of place. Like everyone graduated and moved on and he was stuck making new friends.

Bolivar687

Banned
Didn't know Berman had haters. Wouldn't exactly say i'm a fan, but he's one of those personalities ESPN won't be the same without.

That whole network is falling apart. Boring and unrecognizable now. Each sport's own network is way better for coverage and analysis.

This is my take. The quality of ESPN's football coverage has really gone down.

ag-my001

This is my take. The quality of ESPN's football coverage has really gone down.
I think I read that the deal that sent Sunday Night Football over to NBC also prevented ESPN (and everyone else beside NBC) from showing long form clips or recaps until after the Sunday night game was over. Killed the best thing about the ESPN coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom