• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO steps down to head PC group. Palmer Luckey's new role to be revealed soon.

Welp, before this thread gets locked.

Palmer's actions and his seeming inability to own up to them pretty much makes occulus a no go for me as long as he's at the company.

Gator86

Well, interestingly enough I see a lot of "This message is hidden because ********** is on your ignore list." in this thread..

Trump is an asshat and a douchebag, and I don't agree with Luckey and what he supported. However, I can't stand lot of you people representing "the other side" either. You extreme leftist SJWs and you far right Trump supporters can both just fuck the fuck off and leave the world alone in my opinion.

I would also like to point and laugh at this stupid comment for any of the dozen reasons already posted.

Hope they're announcing Palmer's getting shitcanned, but since the company has been providing cover for him during the entire ordeal I'm not too hopeful.

Makes VR life cheaper at least, I don't have to bother with anything on the Oculus store.

bj00rn_

Banned
Life is much simpler when you only see black and white. Us vs them. These extremists vs those extremists. That's your brain working against you for "your" sake. To make things more manageable/compartmentalized. Goal is to try and rise above that on a moment to moment basis. Much easier said than done, I learn on a daily basis.

This is addressed to me..?

In that case you are mistaken. I don't look at the world as boolean at all, in fact it annoys the hell out of me that it's only the two extremes that get "airtime". I'm just pointing out that the specific two far extreme sides are both ridiculous and that it's time for the sensible majority middle side to be brought forward instead of the constant back and forth of status quo which is undermining the good fight. Simple as that.

Well, interestingly enough I see a lot of "This message is hidden because ********** is on your ignore list." in this thread..

Trump is an asshat and a douchebag, and I don't agree with Luckey and what he supported. However, I can't stand lot of you people representing "the other side" either. You extreme leftist SJWs and you far right Trump supporters can both just fuck the fuck off and leave the world alone in my opinion.
Good god.

L Thammy

I was going to make a joke about how GAF is horrible for suppressing political beliefs like neo-nazism and white supremacy just because they're different, but I'm afraid that someone will take me seriously.

RPGCrazied

Wherever Palmer goes, I boycott. That is how I'm fighting this Trump Presidency. Whatever company/group/persons comes out supporting this guy, I withdraw mine. Whatever products/services they provide, I don't buy.

bj00rn_

Banned
I would also like to point and laugh at this stupid comment for any of the dozen reasons already posted.

I've seen this type of behaviour catching on lately. If you don't conform to group-think; Point and laugh.. The strategy doesn't quite work like you think it does. Most often leads to hardened stances, and most importantly it does not lead to anything good, at all.

I've seen this type of behaviour catching on lately. If you don't conform to group-think; Point and laugh.. The strategy doesn't quite work like you think it does. Most often leads to hardened stances, and most importantly it does not lead to anything good, at all.

Jake-Gyllenhall-Point-and-Laugh-Nightcrawler.gif

Gator86

This actually isn't entirely wrong, but on a day when Donald Trump is securing his throne, I don't think many Gaffers have the energy to try to bring you along to reason for any of your hilariously incomprehensible views.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Are you going to explain your side of the argument?

How do you find Palmer funding an alt-right organization created with the purpose of making racist/sexist memes a positive thing?

bj00rn_

Banned
Good god.

I'm sorry guys for not being here to kiss your asses, I'm kind of here to challenge the opinion police. I hate racists, and I hate you. If you don't like it, please respond, but hopefully with something more than a drive-by post like this.

Sorry to the rest of you; I have most of you on ignore, so I'm not able to see all of your posts :)

I'm sorry guys for not being here to kiss your asses, I'm kind of here to challenge the opinion police. I hate racists, and I hate you. If you don't like it, please respond, but hopefully with something more than a drive-by post like this.

Sorry to the rest of you; I have most of you on ignore, so I'm not able to see all of your posts :)

> Espouses the value of not blocking oneself off from opposing ideas.

> Blocks everyone that disagrees with him.

The hypocrisy is killing me

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You know Luckey is a bigot? He's come out and admitted that to you has he?

Most racists would not publicly admit to being a racist. In fact, they'll often jump at the opportunity to call anyone accusing them as such of being the "real racist!"

bj00rn_

Banned
Are you going to explain your side of the argument?

How do you find Palmer funding an alt-right organization created with the purpose of making racist/sexist memes a positive thing?

I don't. I dislike this kind of manipulation. And I'm not going to buy an Oculus product again until Luckey has been cut off.

> Espouses the value of not blocking oneself off from opposing ideas.

> Blocks everyone that disagrees with him.

> Patronize and mock those who has a different opinion than him

I'm not a pro like you but how am I doing with the character analysis..?

I'm not blocking those who has an actual opinion. I'm blocking extremists and shitposters. If that's wrong, well I'm sorry..

I hope switching to head the PC staff means he can get some full fledged games funded.
My main complaint so far is the lack of games with substance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you guys are falling for a third-rate troll here...

Tagyhag

I still don't understand why people are confused as to why Palmer gets shit on.

He's allowed to his have his opinion, and we're allowed to disagree with it and not buy any products that he's tainted.

You know Luckey is a bigot? He's come out and admitted that to you has he?

Oh God, you believe the people that say "I'm not a racist, but..." Don't you?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Money is a form of speech, yes?

That's a no then.

The evidence against Luckey is that he funded Nimble America, which is founded by two former the_donald moderators, a reddit forum that has posts that are blatantly bigoted. That's some Obama/ Rev. Wright level of smear right there.

Now if NA had actually produced blatantly racist material that's a whole nother story (one that news media hasn't gotten a handle on).

bj00rn_

Banned
Are Palmer and Trump members?

Seriously though are you trying to imply there's extreme liberalism in this thread?

I'm not sure I understand. English is not my first language, and this thread moves fast (I feel like I'm doing a reddit AMA at the moment..), so I might not catch everything flung my way.

I dislike what Luckey did, and I hate Trump. Does this answer anything, or?

bj00rn_

Banned
I feel like you guys are falling for a third-rate troll here...

Because every opinion that you didn't pre-approve is a troll, right? And because I'm right, now you're going to tell me no, I'm just an idiot and I'm actually third rate for real..

When you guys are finished with your mocking, patronizing, and personal analysis, perhaps you can flip this around and write an ad-hominem free actual post that contain something something I can respond to in a political correct way that doesn't get your panties in a bunch..?

Occam

NeoGaf: where it's OK to punish people for the political beliefs. . .so long as they're the "wrong" ones.

What's with the quotation marks? Of course there are wrong beliefs. Those idiots who believe the earth is flat, 5000 years old and there is no global warming are absolutely wrong. Those who believe that there are individual human races, some of which are superior to the rest are absolutely wrong. They aren't just wrong, they are harmful to this planet and the future of mankind. Nothing is gained by humoring them. If you tolerate intolerance, the intolerant will eventually take away your right to be tolerant.
Last but not least, removing them is not punishment, it's sanitation. You take out the trash before it stinks up the place.

> Patronize and mock those who has a different opinion than him

I'm not a pro like you but how am I doing with the character analysis..?

I'm not blocking those who has an actual opinion. I'm blocking extremists and shitposters. If that's wrong, well I'm sorry..

I'm a shitposter and an extremist because I dared question his integrity, guys.

You hate extremists because your field of view is so narrow that anyone with a different opinion than you is extreme.

I'm not sure I understand. English is not my first language, and this thread moves fast (I feel like I'm doing a reddit AMA at the moment..), so I might not catch everything flung my way.

I dislike what Luckey did, and I hate Trump. Does this answer anything, or?

So why let this cloud your judgment? People can voice their displeasure at what Palmer did. It's coming across you're very passionate about VR and can't handle other peoples principles or views

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Oh God, you believe the people that say "I'm not a racist, but..." Don't you?

I roll my eyes at anyone who says they aren't racist, but kudos on the attempt to condescend.

You are either being willfully ignorant and painfully obtuse, or trolling.

I would suggest someone clever enough to be "willfully ignorant" isn't likely to be "painfully obtuse" - but - as with the guy above - kudos for the condescending remarks. You're more than welcome to educate me on this bigoted language Luckey has used or funded with his cash reserves.

What's with the quotation marks? Of course there are wrong beliefs. Those idiots who believe the earth is flat, 5000 years old and there is no global warming are absolutely wrong. Those who believe that there are individual human races, some of which are superior to the rest are absolutely wrong. They aren't just wrong, they are harmful to this planet and the future of mankind. Nothing is gained by humoring them. If you tolerate intolerance, the intolerant will eventually take away your right to be tolerant.
Last but not least, removing them is not punishment, it's sanitation. You take out the trash before it stinks up the place.

What are Luckey's comments? Unless my Google isn't working I've yet to see anyone in the three months since this story broke actually post anything from Luckey or Nimble America that would be described as bigoted or hate speech. It's always well A is sideways connected to B espouses C which is related to D malarkey as the above Obama/Wright nonsense from 8 years ago. Face palming that he's a rich, young white male that supported Trump is one thing; suggesting that he should be removed from his position because of that is quite another.

L Thammy

I always find it funny when people act like racists are a political party that you can choose to support or not, as opposed to a reference to people who hold ideas or carry out actions that are racist in nature.

It's the same thing when people say "I'm not a racist but" and then immediately say something racist. I get that you're obviously not concerned about other people and you're just trying to protect your own image, but do they not know what that word means? Do they think that you have to say you're a racist to be a racist?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is addressed to me..?

In that case you are mistaken. I don't look at the world as boolean at all, in fact it annoys the hell out of me that it's only the two extremes that get "airtime". I'm just pointing out that the specific two far extreme sides are both ridiculous and that it's time for the sensible majority middle side to be brought forward instead of the constant back and forth of status quo which is undermining the good fight. Simple as that.
Primarily it's addressed to myself if I'm honest. Then it's addressed to you and everyone else in this thread/lurking. I knew where you were coming from and your annoyance with the vocal extremists from both sides always getting most of the airtime. Which is true for almost everything in life. What I'm trying to warn against is how easy and effortless it is to see things in black and white and lump people into opposing groups by allowing your brain to override you. Because that's what the brain does best, categorize and compartmentalize for it's own survival. Not sure if you understand where I'm going with this or if it makes sense to any of you. And I'm getting kinda off topic so I apologize for that. But I felt it is thing worth warning against and being conscious of on a moment to moment basis.

Top Bottom