• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO steps down to head PC group. Palmer Luckey's new role to be revealed soon.

Occam

Palmer co-founded and funded a defamation/propaganda neo nazi group that helped to get Trump elected. Actions speak louder than words. What else needs to be said?

Palmer co-founded and funded a fake news/defamation neo nazi group that helped to get Trump elected. Actions speek louder than words. What else needs to be said?

Not much, but I'm not particularly surprised at the arguments in here given how fervently society has pushed to normalize this extremism.

We're in for some dark times. Expect lots of hemming, hawwing and "is this REALLY that bad...?" at anything similar to this.

Well, interestingly enough I see a lot of "This message is hidden because ********** is on your ignore list." in this thread..

Trump is an asshat and a douchebag, and I don't agree with Luckey and what he supported. However, I can't stand lot of you people representing "the other side" either. You extreme leftist SJWs and you far right Trump supporters can both just fuck the fuck off and leave the world alone in my opinion.

Now you're being disingenuous. I suspect some of you are so testy just because I challenge your warm and cozy pre-approved "correct" opinions. And all this just because I hate extremists..

Last time I checked, "SJWs" weren't going around smashing bottles over people's heads or shooting black people.

One of these "extremes" isn't like the other.

hawk2025

Palmer co-founded and funded a defamation/propaganda neo nazi group that helped to get Trump elected. Actions speak louder than words. What else needs to be said?

And then denied it, because he was aware exactly what it was and how it looks.

...And people still defend it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Palmer co-founded and funded a defamation/propaganda neo nazi group that helped to get Trump elected. Actions speek louder than words. What else needs to be said?

Nimble America wasn't founded by Luckey; and what is some of this propaganda w/ a tinge of neo-nazism that they put out? Because again, my Google is broken.

If there is ANOTHER white supremacist group that Luckey founded and funded then I am definitely out of the loop.

Nothing less than Plamer Luckey being fired or moving into a rooftop office (Silicon Valley Hooli-style) will be accepted by me. He is an ugly person and should blackballed from the industry.

We aren't "shitting" on Luckey to be trolls, he, in fact, is an awful troll and I agree with others.. as long as he is tied to Oculus I will never buy from them no matter the tech. This is apart of voting with your wallet what you choose to support, I encourage others to do the same. I haven't / won't forget.

SZips

Unless his new role is "fired" then I still wouldn't care less about that company and their products. He's a horrid individual that has completely ruined how most sensible people view that entire company.

The thing is, Facebook won't have the balls to do what is right, so my expectations here are borderline nonexistent.

Oculus supporting, excusing, defending, continuing to employ, and now offering a new role at the company to a man who's financially supported an "alt-right" neo-Nazi group, is now Oculus' legacy. This is what I'll remember the company by.

Whenever the time comes for me to buy a VR headset, it's not going to be Oculus branded.

Lime

With Peter Thiel around Facebook, I don't see any change in regards to bigots or people who support bigots at the company.

Shut up filthy sjw

Hopefully luckey's new role is being fired.
With Peter Thiel around Facebook, I don't see any change in regards to bigots or people who support bigots at the company.
Good point. Facebook - doesn't influence elections but can totally convince you to buy that fridge!

YuShtink

Disappointed in Palmer but not nearly to the degree most of you are. I don't want to see the guy lose his job. He's got a great mind for VR tech and he did have a major hand in kicking this whole new wave of VR off.

Personally (and this is just MY opinion) I think his ties to Nimble America were more about generating anti-Hillary internet memes than meant to be funding a "neo-nazi hate group" to troll minorities and be a racist asshole. Maybe not, but that's just my gut feeling and I'm not going to crucify the guy without more to hang on there. He did lie about not being a Trump supporter. Again, not a point for him but at the same time I'm not on a crusade against Trump voters personally either.

Furthermore I really love my Rift. I think Oculus is a good company that puts out fantastic products. People in here are still dumping on them but imo the Rift with 3 sensors and Touch is flat out superior than the Vive experience at this point. Plus they've always been extremely cool and generous with me as a customer, with hardware issues or anything similar since back in the DK1 days. I think they have the most comprehensive VR ecosystem available right now.

So I'm conflicted.

In other news I'm happy for Brendan Iribe. EVen though it's technically a demotion I believe him when he says he didn't enjoy the expanded non-technical responsibilities of a growing company. And glad to hear Nate is still on the PC Rift team too!

Top Bottom