• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back, whats your final verdict of Resident Evil 6?

bender

What time is it?
shit-crap.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Same as my thoughts when it came out.

It's one of the best and most innovative TPS ever made. The freedom of movement, the dodging ability, ground movement ability, counters, quick shots, 180 turns, are still among the best in the whole genre. Helena has mega buns, and I think she's one of the hottest in the series.

The game is so gigantic with 4 campaigns that it does have more spots of uneven quality. There's a crappy T-Rex fight, and some of the Chris areas are a little weak.

The setting is actually really ahead of its time. Bioweapons starting to leak into the black market, used by private mercenary groups in east Europe. Then you have the awesome Kowloon City inspired China level. There's pretty much no better place to set a zombie movie than one of the most populated countries on earth.

Game wasn't perfect, but it was damn fun to play co-op and it was innovative in multiple ways in terms of combat.

Muffdraul

I tried to beat Leon's chapter at least three or four times. Bought it when it came out, played for a while, lost interest... about a year later I started over... same thing... a couple years later I started over again... I think I came very close to the end that time. I didn't get stuck or anything, I just couldn't stick with it. Never even tried any of the other chapters. Last time I tried was about two years ago I think. I thought it was a POS when it came out and I still do. I loved RE4 as a game unto itself, despite it being "RE in name only." But RE5 and RE6, imo those were just, ugh. Not my RE, no siree bob.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

It's one of the best and most innovative TPS ever made. The freedom of movement, the dodging ability, ground movement ability, counters, quick shots, 180 turns, are still among the best in the whole genre. Helena has mega buns, and I think she's one of the hottest in the series.

The game is so gigantic with 4 campaigns that it does have more spots of uneven quality. There's a crappy T-Rex fight, and some of the Chris areas are a little weak.

The setting is actually really ahead of its time. Bioweapons starting to leak into the black market, used by private mercenary groups in east Europe. Then you have the awesome Kowloon City inspired China level. There's pretty much no better place to set a zombie movie than one of the most populated countries on earth.

Game wasn't perfect, but it was damn fun to play co-op and it was innovative in multiple ways in terms of combat.

Youre making me want to reinstall it. I barely got through Leon's campaign and never checked out the others. Frankly I forget why I stopped playing it. I remember I definitely didnt think it was as terrible as the masses claimed.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

This, so much this.

It was a joy to play in coop with a friend.
The controls are very responsive and it's non-stop action at its best.

Too bad the zoomers prefer the walking simulator RE instead.
Hope it goes back to TPS in the future.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Youre making me want to reinstall it. I barely got through Leon's campaign and never checked out the others. Frankly I forget why I stopped playing it. I remember I definitely didnt think it was as terrible as the masses claimed.
Your enjoyment will increase a lot if you really learn all the ridiculous movement options you have. If you like suplexing people in RE4, this is your game x10. Always fun to do a sliding 180 degree spin land mine detonation.

I can't remember but I don't think I played any of the campaigns all in a row. I mixed them up each chapter, but my memory might be off on that. I haven't played it for years. I played Ada all in a row and it was the weakest one since it's just a bonus campaign.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There are patches of rough spots. But it's worth it to just keep going. Chris has a few parts that seem like Call of Duty and will make you groan a bit. But it's a fun action TPS with horror themes.

GymWolf

By the end of the third campaign i was fed up with the game that i didn't even touched the part with ada.

Still more fun than re7 and its mouldy black blobs...

Elysium44

Banned
All I remember is that it was a QTE nightmare. I wouldn’t call that a fond memory.
They patched it so you can opt to auto complete those.

I rate the game highly, much better than RE4 remake which is inexplicably popular. Long expansive campaign, diverse locations, 10/10 voice acting and music, tight gameplay, all the things RE4 remake lacks.

I have 100% it on Xbox 360 and PC. Will get around to doing it on the Xbox One version at some point.

Last edited:

RaduN

Liked it. Lacked focus, but it made up with some nice set pieces and a fantastic cutscene direction.
An overall entertaining action TPS.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The worst mainline RE game yet. Absolute flaming trash.

It was so bad that they had to reinvent the series with RE7.
You think RE7 happened because you didn't like RE6
It was the best selling RE up until now and if they didn't have a VR Prototype they could jump on the "at the time" VR bandwagon they would have released another just like it.
RE7 wasn't them returning to the root's like they did with the remakes.
It was them doing what they did with RE6, jumping on a bandwagon.

Verdict: Needs a remake/retelling. The story is a mess, the controls feel stiff and delayed even though there’s a bunch of moves you can pull off, the aiming feels way worse than 4 and 5, and the multiplayer wasn’t enough to make all of it’s issues go away.

Revelations raid mode had some levels from 6 and it solidified to me that 6 itself was the problem.

Sorry but some cool ground moves and a slide mechanic aren’t enough to save a game’s quality.

Edmund

I remember jizzing at the games shop as a teenager when I saw someone playing resident evil 6. I played every single one of them and didn't know that RE6 released. Bought it, ran home to play and got really disappointed.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You think RE7 happened because you didn't like RE6
It was the best selling RE up until now and if they didn't have a VR Prototype they could jump on the "at the time" VR bandwagon they would have released another just like it.
RE7 wasn't them returning to the root's like they did with the remakes.
It was them doing what they did with RE6, jumping on a bandwagon.

Oh, please. You're pulling my third leg.

Everyone and their dog knows RE6 gargled docky balls.

I rest my case.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Garbage juice. If its the best selling game then tell us what's the reason they never made another game like it again? They would have milked that cow dry if there was something there. It sold off the success of 4 (and to a lesser extent 5) and once it got in people's hands the disappointment was immeasurable.

Last edited:

killatopak

Started off strong with the first chapter of Leon's campaign. Went downhill after that.

Honestly, they should have just removed the RE name on it. It's just too much action. There were no surviving nor are there horror. Some skills also trivializes the game. Too many characters made worse by the fact that half of them are new. They expect people to feel for them when they literally have zero character build up prior to the game. Really the only new character that you may feel a connection is Wesker's son. Helena and Piers do not interest me. Here's Helena's sister, feel bad for her. Pier's character is literally just right hand man of Chris. That's it.

Quartermuncher

Neo Member
There's this game that inspired the eponymous "What the hell is THAT still doing there backlog".

Upon playing it, and making my way through it, it was a chore. This game was made by Shinji Mikami, director of RE4. I say all that because i made it to the halfway point and literaly asked myself if i'd rather play that or Resident Evil 6.

I'll stand by, and die on the hill, that Resident Evil 6 is better than The Evil Within. That's it.

Sojiro

Giraffe sex out of 10.
That image will forever be burned in my head.

To the OP's question, wasn't this the game that had Chris dropping boulders or some shit? I never played it so I can't comment, but from what I've seen it didn't look super hot.

Last edited:

taizuke

I played it a couple of years later on PS4 and enjoyed it a lot. In hindsight, I think is better than RE 3 Remake.

You kinda have to be into Japanese games and embrace the silliness the franchise is known for.

MiguelItUp

I still haven't touched it, so I feel like that says a lot. Even if some people over the years said it wasn't THAT bad.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I played it for the first time about a year ago.

It was quite bad. But it was EXTREMELY over the top, which made it a bit more enjoyable.

Way too fucking long though and it totally earned those 6/10 type scores.

Last edited:
i've only played it twice. least-fav of the series. weirdly devoid of charm, seriously overly long, & ultimately utterly exhausting. it's a game that just absolutely refuses to ever end no matter how badly you want it to...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Your enjoyment will increase a lot if you really learn all the ridiculous movement options you have. If you like suplexing people in RE4, this is your game x10. Always fun to do a sliding 180 degree spin land mine detonation.

I can't remember but I don't think I played any of the campaigns all in a row. I mixed them up each chapter, but my memory might be off on that. I haven't played it for years. I played Ada all in a row and it was the weakest one since it's just a bonus campaign.

I remember a long time ago someone on here put together a guide for all of the different moves and shortcut button presses to perform various actions. It was wild the amount of shit you could pull off. I specifically remember this move where you could dive backwards and then roll around. Pretty badass.

And Leons motorcycle jacket was super cool

Soodanim

6 is the only Resident Evil I've started and not finished in its entirety. I'm not a fan of the allegedly great gameplay mechanics that some people would have me believe are best in franchise. I don't care about sliding on the ground or potshots. The gameplay felt flimsy and loose to me.

I pushed through Leon's campaign just to finish it, was thankful that what I thought was a boring mid-game boss was actually his final boss, then I played Mercenaries once or twice before shelving it forever.

I will return to OG 4 until the end of my days and have infinitely more fun with every second of that than I did with 6.

6 does nothing better than any game in the series, and its only virtue was that it was a mistake to be learned from.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I remember a long time ago someone on here put together a guide for all of the different moves and shortcut button presses to perform various actions. It was wild the amount of shit you could pull off. I specifically remember this move where you could dive backwards and then roll around. Pretty badass.

And Leons motorcycle jacket was super cool
Yeah, I was in that thread. It was that dude with the avatar that said TITS in the background. You may want to see if you can find it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh, please. You're pulling my third leg.
Han Solo Flirting GIF

Everyone and their dog knows RE6 gargled docky balls.
Didn't disagree, doesn't change the fact it was the best selling RE up until recently.
And even them games that have taken its spot was only by a little.
We would have gotten more if VR wasn't a thing at that moment in time, it's scary thought I know 😳
I rest my case.
Snl Are You Sure GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Maybe touch it first.

Some people cut their dicks off, their opinion on that matter could be as wrong as on RE6
It's different when you actually have plenty of raw gameplay to observe. Which is what made my decision easily solidified many years ago. I'm glad some people enjoy it, but it's definitely not in my camp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom