• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for something like Diablo3 for an 8 year old

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just looking for some input here - my son is 8 and loves video games. He plays the heck out of things like minecraft, disney infinity, marvel avengers lego (pretty much all the lego games for that matter), and skylanders swap force but I think he'd love a sort of simple action rpg/loot game.

So, I'm aware of the M rating on D3 but I've played it a ton (on my pc) and it doesn't seem so bad - a lot of cartoonish violence against non-human types. Does anyone know of kids in his age range playing and like it? If not D3, is there something a little more child-ish but similar in terms of complexity, action and loot.

Help me gaf! Looking for something on PS4 or maybe xbox360.

False

There's some Adventure Time games that are Diablo clones, Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know and I believe there's a newer one.

Matriox

If you have a tablet or a vita you can try Dungeon Hunter, I only played the vita version but it's rated Teens, otherwise Torchlight seems very mild and cartoony art style seems good.

Edit: Oh and that marvel suggestion is a great one too.

Oh ps4 or 360.. Well I can't think of one for ps4, but 360 has Dungeon Siege 3, which is sort of like Diablo?

offtopic

Path of Exile (which I played a lot) is more complex and a lot harder than diablo 3 though. Also, I'll edit the OP but looking for something available on PS4 (or xbox360).

Qassim

Graphically the Torchlight games are probably more child-friendly. However Diablo 3 is perhaps more intuitive, if you've played through and are okay with Diablo 3's level of gore, then that may be a better option.

The gore in Diablo 3 isn't so bad, it is against non-human monsters, but there are some monsters that put out some decent splatters of blood depending on how they're killed.

Zomba13

There's some Adventure Time games that are Diablo clones, Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know and I believe there's a newer one.

If I hadn't played that game I'd probably say that but my god is that game shitty. Torchlight if you can turn the gore off would probably be best.

SorchaR

Try Fate:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/246840/
it was made for that purpose!

I think the sequels include the original game, but I'm not sure.

From the wiki:

Fate is a fantasy action role-playing game closely modeled after the original Diablo. This type of game is also known as a dungeon crawler, in which the player takes his/her character through progressively difficult levels of a dungeon, fighting monsters, completing quests, collecting valuable items and gold, and improving the character's attributes and skills along the way. The dungeon in Fate has a randomized layout for each level; treasures found within each level are randomized, as are the number and type of monsters.
The player is accompanied by a pet, which can initially be chosen as a puppy or kitten. This pet fights on behalf of the player, can carry items, and can be sent back to town in order to sell unwanted findings.

My daughter loved the game at that age. Another option would be Torchlight and Torchlight 2.

Edit: wow you people post fast!

JB_dk

Neo Member
Rise of the guardians. It's a really good game imo. My oldest and his friend enjoyed it Alot in coop. I played a couple hours with him as well. On the ps3. It doesn't have loot. But does have a experience system where you gain new powers as your level increase

BiggNife

Oh yeah, Marvel Heroes would probably be perfect. It's very Diablo esque (It's made by the lead designer of Diablo II) and most 8 year old kids love superhero stuff.

Ecto311

I play d3 on Xbox one with my 5yr old daughter and never thought it was that bad just kinda boring for her.

Skylanders is a diablo lite though.

offtopic

So, I can get Torchlight for xbox 360 (but not Torchlight 2). I've never played it so not sure who it compares to d3.

Anyone with experience with kids playing d3? I'd keep him off public obviously. A game on the PS4 is more attractive to me than one on the xbox360 at this point just because I'll probably be replacing the 360 with a xb1 in the near future.

Castef

Banned
Torchlight is a fine choice, would fit well for a 8 YRS old.

Also, try Crimson Alliance (XBLA) and I guess also the Marvel diabloesque games on Xbox 360 could be fine.

Castef

Banned
So, I can get Torchlight for xbox 360 (but not Torchlight 2). I've never played it so not sure who it compares to d3.

It is very easy to pickup and the cartoony graphics would suit well for a 8 yo boy.

It plays EXTREMELY similar to a Diablo game and the Xbox 360 conversion is very nice. You can't go wrong with it, I guess.

offtopic

Yeah, cutting corpses up and coming across a village where everyone was mutilated in act 2. Nothing wrong.

Yeah it is questionable but that 3rd person perspective sort of keeps it at an emotional and visual distance. Not sure...I could have him try it out on the PC I suppose and if it looks OK I could pick it up for the ps4. But maybe try torchlight first...someone needs to make something similar for the ps4.

JNT

Just looking for some input here - my son is 8 and loves video games. He plays the heck out of things like minecraft, disney infinity, marvel avengers lego (pretty much all the lego games for that matter), and skylanders swap force but I think he'd love a sort of simple action rpg/loot game.

So, I'm aware of the M rating on D3 but I've played it a ton (on my pc) and it doesn't seem so bad - a lot of cartoonish violence against non-human types. Does anyone know of kids in his age range playing and like it? If not D3, is there something a little more child-ish but similar in terms of complexity, action and loot.

Help me gaf! Looking for something on PS4 or maybe xbox360.

No, it's not unreasonable for an 8-year-old to play Diablo 3 in my opinion. My nephew played it at age six and he liked it. I say let him try it out and see how he reacts to it.

If nothing else try Torchlight for XB360. Never played the port myself, but the game is pretty good on PC.

Diablo 3 actually has a ton of blood and gore, dismembered and tortured villagers, etc.

The marvel games are a fairly good child alternative, as would be the Lego games.

The OP is asking for games for PS4 or X360, don't forget that.

There's little to none gore violence in Diablo III (well there is blood and violence but I don´t think it´s something that young lads don't deal with every day), I'm pretty sure he'll love it and won't have problems with it. Most boys at his age play Mortal Kombat, GTA, or Walking Dead (although I consider that a mistake), Diablo shouldn't be a concern and is the only game I can think on PS4 right now that he'll invest lost of time questing, leveling, exploring and such.

Why not Diablo 3? I know the PC version has settings that removes gore/blood I believe, maybe the console versions have those options as well? And like Sackman mentioned, Diablo isn't really ultra violent. Especially taht most of the classes have colorful skills, it's almost Saturday morning Cartoon like.

Vecks

I think Torchlight is on 360, and that's pretty cartoony.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance doesn't really have the same depth as diablo, but I think that would actually be better to ease him into the gameplay concepts.

OmegaDL50

Torchlight or the Fate series.

Seriously, the Fate games are really good, and are very kid friendly. It is so underrated. I think all of the games are up on Steam right now, too.

Here's some gameplay of the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwz2at3YYdA

Fate is a perfect answer.

In fact Fate is the precursor to Torchlight actually. As it was the game Travis Baldree worked on prior to founding Runic with the Shaeffer brothers.

In fact many of Fate's mechanics such as Pet and their storage / Sending your Pet to town / Heirloom an item and retiring a character, Fishing and using Fish to transform your Pet, etc were basically carbon copied as is and implemented in Torchlight.

Fate is definitely is much more lighter in tone and is perfect for a youth to enjoy the Diablo inspired gameplay without the overly dark tones and plot about Heaven Vs Hell and the Earth (Sancturary) being caught in the middle.

In fact Fate's plot is basically you are a dungeon delver who wants to stake his fortune and thus goes to tackle the dungeon to see how far they can do.

Edit : Ah sorry I didn't realize the OP was asking for PS3 / 360 games. there are very few games that fit this genre on consoles unfortunately outside of Sacred on the 360 and the XBLA version of Torchlight.

offtopic

Fate is a perfect answer.

In fact Fate is the precursor to Torchlight actually. As it was the game Travis Baldree worked on prior to founding Runic with the Shaeffer brothers.

In fact many of Fate's mechanics such as Pet and their storage / Sending your Pet to town / Heirloom an item and retiring a character, Fishing and using Fish to transform your Pet, etc were basically carbon copied as is and implemented in Torchlight.

Fate is definitely is much more lighter in tone and is perfect for a youth to enjoy the Diablo inspired gameplay without the overly dark tones and plot about Heaven Vs Hell and the Earth (Sancturary) being caught in the middle.

In fact Fate's plot is basically you are a dungeon delver who wants to stake his fortune and thus goes to tackle the dungeon to see how far they can do.

Edit : Ah sorry I didn't realize the OP was asking for PS3 / 360 games. there are very few games that fit this genre on consoles unfortunately outside of Sacred on the 360 and the XBLA version of Torchlight.

Yeah I see a few more options for PC but would like to find something for ps4 or 360 if possible. Torchlight looks doable although I have a feeling my 360 will be getting replaced not too long from now.

jesu

I didn't realise D3 was rated M. I play it in front of my daughter(and I'm usually careful about what she sees)
There's no swearing or graphic violence.
I'd say it would be ok for an 8 year old.
It's easy too.

OmegaDL50

I didn't realise D3 was rated M. I play it in front of my daughter(and I'm usually careful about what she sees)
There's no swearing or graphic violence.
I'd say it would be ok for an 8 year old.
It's easy too.

There isn't a better answer than torchlight. Also D3 isn't even remotely acceptable for an 8 year old.

Even if you can turn off the violence and gore in D3, there is still stuff like the Prison Barracks and piles of burning corpses Act 1 and Tortured civilians in Alcarnus in Act 2. The demons from hell, the Lust Demon Cydaea and her Succubus servants, and other stuff of some sensitive nature.

Can an 8 year old play the game, Yes. Is it contextually appropriate for that age? No.

Top Bottom