• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like all digital PSP / PSone games work on Vita now [Not Anymore]

Bumhead

Banned
Bummer.

But if you have a PS3, can you still download and transfer the games or will they just not work at all now? I really wanted MGS1 on there but ended up waiting.

iceatcs

If it's a licensing issue it means Sony is too cheap to pay for the games and provide good support to their loyal Vita customers.
Likely out of date licensing and 3rd party refused to relicense. Some want use this for own store front like EA or Ubisoft.

And of course some virtually impossible to get the license because they've gone. No more publisher or studio closed down.

CLEEK

I've had MGS1 on my Vita for ages. So either it's always been downloadable straight from the Vita or by PS3 transfer.

If it's a licensing issue it means Sony is too cheap to pay for the games and provide good support to their loyal Vita customers.

Dude. That's not how licensing works. The publisher will need to work out the licensing legal / royalties stuff with their licencees. The onus and effort is always on the publisher.

Sandfox

Does it work like that for 3rd party games? Also, I'm guessing it would add up if they had to pay for every game lol.

Taker34

Banned
Good thing I bought the 2 games which I wanted the most.
Btw there are several posts about Blood Omen but wasn't this available from the beginning? Downloaded it like 2 months ago on my Vita.

co1onel

Lol. I thought there was a possibility it was a mistake, but I thought it highly unlikely Sony would screw up that big. Good thing I already downloaded everything I wanted.

vakarian32

Hm. That's really strange... Then again, there's no reason for these games to be locked to begin with. Goddamn Sony.

Annnd it's gone.

hU8w3cd.jpg

RpgN

That's some big mistake to make. Taking a functionality away because? What kind of bullshit is that?

DigitalOp

Banned
Honestly, Everyone needs to take this bag of shit and it at Sony's door.

Totally fucked up. Its like they are trying their best to SINK the Vita. Idiots.

DeaviL

Banned
Wait, Sony could flip a switch and i'd be able to play all these games on a Vita...
What?

(I don't own anything but a Vita, so i'm getting shafted on the transfer stuff)

lucius

I got Crash 1-3 working on my Vita, games I already bought. Some games mentioned here were already transferable through PS3, but the Crash games never were. They play great on Vita.

Bumhead

Banned
Yes

They basically just reverted to the way things were basically

PS3 transfer still works as always

So all of these games can still be played on a Vita. They just can't be downloaded directly to the Vita, and instead have to be transferred via PS3.

That's not too bad, I guess?

walkarmor

Neo Member
At least I got Arctic Edge on there while this was in effect. I have a 64GB card coming today. I wonder if I'll even be able to copy some of this stuff over.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fucking hell.

At least I downloaded Phantasy Star but I knew I should have downloaded more than just that :(

I previously downloaded Phantasy Star Portable 2 on PS3 and was unable to transfer it over...couldn't transfer it using that crappy PC program, either.

So all of these games can still be played on a Vita. They just can't be downloaded directly to the Vita, and instead have to be transferred via PS3.

That's not too bad, I guess?

Yeah

The main difference is that this little glitch/mistake made downloading directly to Vita more convenient

Still not as convenient as actually having them officially listed on PSN/Vita store

I just hope all of this stuff is a precursor to future legacy support changes. These license holders are leaving lots of money on the table here and I hope they start realizing it.

DiscoJer

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

One of the reasons I bought a Vita in the first place was to play PS:p2 on it with a second stick.

It didn't work...

Until it did, but last night I was getting close to my download cap, so I said, I'll download it tomorrow.

But now I can't. Argh!

Calmine

God damnit really annoyed by this. My vita broke and I was waiting for my replacment to try this. Why don't Sony just allow it?

wow, there goes that slight spark I had for buying a vita again, sad to say but I would grab a vita for some phantasy star portable action along with psp games I missed out on and ps1 classics for my pocket.

I think I saw someone mention earlier that the Crash Bandicoot games are still possible...can someone please confirm this? I'm only really interested in those games.

Roubjon

I was going to start downloading like crazy this weekend because all I have access to now is shitty college internet. Guess I'm fucked.

wow, there goes that slight spark I had for buying a vita again, sad to say but I would grab a vita for some phantasy star portable action along with psp games I missed out on and ps1 classics for my pocket.

I wouldnt loose too much hope guys

Why go through the trouble of updating some of these games to actually be compatible?

I am sure they are setting up some type of legacy software Relaunch on PSN

Some of those games werent working at all PERIOD.

They are doing work behind the scenes so I expect this work to come to light relatively soon

Well there's still an actual PSP you could get...

and for Vita there's a lot of PSP and PS1 games that are officially supported.

winjet81

Really lucked out last night.

I purchased 4 games a few days ago, but hadn't downloaded due to memory card space issues. Came on the board last night to this thread to see people were having issues with their downloads.

Quickly turned on my Vita, deleted Metal Gear 2/3 HD from my card to make room for the games and started downloading. Finished downloading an hour later and then (out of curiosity) went back to my download list and saw that all of them were 'not compatible for PSVita'.

Whew!

Now I can transfer to my PC and store them there for safe keeping.

marrec

Banned
Good thing I bought the 2 games which I wanted the most.
Btw there are several posts about Blood Omen but wasn't this available from the beginning? Downloaded it like 2 months ago on my Vita.

Blood Omen's been available forever.

I really can't wait to see if Sony makes an official statement on this.

mattp

everyone who is calling sony stupid and shitty
do you honestly think they're just blocking you from playing these games for some fucking arbitrary reason?
i think its safe to say they would ABSOLUTELY sell you all these games if they could.
get mad at the publishers who own the rights to these games for not licensing them for vita

obviously everything just magically working was a bug, and you're kind of naive to think all it took was sony to "stop being lazy and flip the switch on all games". those games were unavailable for a reason. a legal one, not a technical one

Top Bottom