• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like all digital PSP / PSone games work on Vita now [Not Anymore]

Moofers

Well fucking balls. I missed my chance to put Brave Story on my Vita. I just tried to transfer it and it wouldn't do it.

Fuck man, who would've thought that was a mistake? I never guessed they'd lock it all up again. Fucking hell.

wilflare

Everyone - we should all tweet @yosp to let him know we want this compatibility restored. He commented on the compatibility in a seemingly positive way shortly after it happened. If enough of us bring it to his attention, we might at least get some kind of vaguely official response on the matter.

yes

well let's ask Sony to look into this?
I mean #PS4noDRM did help them at the negotiating table right?

so let's try
#VITAnoLicenseLock
#EndLicenseLock
#FreeOurGamesOnVita

@yosp
@amboyes
@giocorsi
@shahidkamal

the point is not to blame Sony. as many have already said, they don't and can't control the entire license agreement. but with all the downloads from this glitch + if we make ourselves heard, I think Sony does have a good case to negotiate with the publishers to rethink about this

"hey look, gamers want this, people are willing to spend money to buy older games, shall we work things out?"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm surprised none of the so called journalists or media portal websites have reported on this or did they? They should make a follow through with Sony.

Would take too much time out of their busy schedules making complete asses of themselves on twitter.

Eusis

No, that is ANDROID. It's the same Operating system.

No, that is WINDOWS. It's the same opperating system

No, that is LINUX. It's the same operating system

No, that is iOS. It's the same opperating system

Yes, the Vita is not the PSP2, it does not run PSP firmware. It is a new OS. It would not be grandfathered in with previous, different operating systems.

The closer analogy you are looking for is if I have bought games on a Nokia Symbian OS smartphone, and expect them to work on my Nokia Windows Phone OS smartphone. Would you expect them to work the same, even though the maker of the phone is the same?
This entire argument is completely useless when the games were ALL DOWNLOADABLE AND PLAYABLE UNTIL LAST NIGHT. Its really more like running DOS stuff on Windows before 2K/XP anyway.

It's all about the contracts and whatever deals they drafted up, and frustratingly it seems the deals were bum ones for forward compatibility. Which seems to happen frustratingly often and is why we don't see some of the games ever put up digitally.

androvsky

Yes, the Vita is not the PSP2, it does not run PSP firmware. It is a new OS. It would not be grandfathered in with previous, different operating systems.

The closer analogy you are looking for is if I have bought games on a Nokia Symbian OS smartphone, and expect them to work on my Nokia Windows Phone OS smartphone. Would you expect them to work the same, even though the maker of the phone is the same?

The Vita does indeed run PSP firmware, it's how it's able to run every PSP game unmodified. The Vita hacks that let people run homebrew included kernel hacks; PSP kernel hacks. I think a better analogy is trying to tell people mysterious licensing issues prevent them from running Windows games in Bootcamp (or a VM) on a Mac. Technical problems are one thing; if that's the case I'm sure someone will notice soon enough.

Unless I'm missing something, Symbian games wouldn't run on Windows Phone. PSP games do run on the Vita, all of them, without modification. And they're all available through the same platform holder. The only effort required is to prevent them from being playable on the Vita.

bigkrev

This entire argument is completely useless when the games were ALL DOWNLOADABLE AND PLAYABLE UNTIL LAST NIGHT. Its really more like running DOS stuff on Windows before 2K/XP anyway.

It's all about the contracts and whatever deals they drafted up, and frustratingly it seems the deals were bum ones for forward compatibility. Which seems to happen frustratingly often and is why we don't see some of the games ever put up digitally.

The argument was about licenses. Just because they work in the emulator doesn't mean sony has rights into perpetuity to sell it on other operating systems as they please.

androvsky said:
Unless I'm missing something, Symbian games wouldn't run on Windows Phone. PSP games do run on the Vita, all of them, without modification. And they're all available through the same platform holder. The only effort required is to prevent them from being playable on the Vita.

That's the point I was making- even ough you bought something on a device doesn't mean you are entitled to download it on all of their future devices that don't run that operating system.

yes

so let's try
#VITAnoLicenseLock
#EndLicenseLock
#FreeOurGamesOnVita

@yosp
@amboyes
@giocorsi
@shahidkamal

the point is not to blame Sony. as many have already said, they don't and can't control the entire license agreement. but with all the downloads from this glitch + if we make ourselves heard, I think Sony does have a good case to negotiate with the publishers to rethink about this

"hey look, gamers want this, people are willing to spend money to buy older games, shall we work things out?"

Its the publishers that need to see that there is a benefit to them. Im sure the psp sales had a nice spike in the hours this was active, just imagine if it was advertised, run by major gaming sites like ign etc. If its just one little song or something maybe just patch it out or something or renew it if they can. Heck maybe talk to the owners of the song and see if they even care they may not care that much or be willing to let it slide for a small % of proceeds etc.

From now on though they need to have these agreement last as long as the game is available for sale or have a provision that all future platforms other then the one it as for are eligible.

Agent X

For all of the OS arguments, I believe that some of these situations aren't as straightforward as it being the "same OS". For example, Amazon's Kindle Fire products use a variation of Android, which I don't believe was present on their earlier Kindle devices (with monochrome E-ink displays)

Strictly speaking, firmware is not the same thing as an operating system. The Vita might not contain the actual "firmware" of the PSP, but I would bet that it has at least some significant portion of the PSP OS running under an emulation layer.

No, and I wouldn't expect Mac OS applications to work on an iPad, either. This has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

PSP games aren't being recompiled into native Vita programs. They're the original PSP code, running under emulation. The program doesn't know that it's being played on a Vita rather than a PSP. If the game running under emulation is acceptably playable (meaning it doesn't exhibit any compatibility problems that impact gameplay), then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed for download on Vita.

If it is truly a licensing issue that is preventing these games from being made available on Vita, then Sony have arranged one of the least forward-thinking electronic distribution contract in industry history. This would be a colossal failure on Sony's part, considering that all other major entertainment platform holders (including Apple, Google, Amazon, and even Nintendo) aren't bound by such restrictions.

lmbotiva

Everyone - we should all tweet @yosp to let him know we want this compatibility restored. He commented on the compatibility in a seemingly positive way shortly after it happened. If enough of us bring it to his attention, we might at least get some kind of vaguely official response on the matter.

these games are not playable on vita just because sony is evil and want to make your life miserable, there are many things that need to be addressed before making a game available on a platform, tweeting yoshida is not gonna bring back all the games, i bet you sony is on deep shit for this mistake, all the licenses they jump without authorization because of this mistake is gonna cost them a few bucks

Eusis

The argument was about licenses. Just because they work in the emulator doesn't mean sony has rights into perpetuity to sell it on other operating systems as they please.
I don't think that's particularly important so long as it can run perfectly, and it does, never mind PS3 compatibility for all PS1 games and only a handful of PSP exceptions. They probably drafted the agreements to be for system X and Y along with their revisions, and the Vita is a whole new platform capable of running X games but is system Z in this equation and thus needs to be resettled case by case. Any dumbass detail will be a hangup in a contract, not just OS.

Although given the missing PSP games include SCEA titles and plenty available elsewhere maybe SCEA is just special when it comes to getting PS1 and PSP games marked as compatible.

androvsky

If it is truly a licensing issue that is preventing these games from being made available on Vita, then Sony have arranged one of the least forward-thinking electronic distribution contract in industry history. This would be a colossal failure on Sony's part, considering that all other major entertainment platform holders (including Apple, Google, Amazon, and even Nintendo) aren't bound by such restrictions.

Especially since the main point of putting PSP games on PSN in the first place was for the PSP Go, which was designed to test consumer reaction to an all-digital handheld (aka the Vita). If they made up contracts that didn't include the system they were preparing for...

But if we follow other games that originally did not work on the Vita and were later made compatible, it's been technical issues, not legal. It's likely most of these games fail some obscure SCEA requirement that no one actually cares about (like does the game crash while saving while removing the memory card kind of thing).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ha, this was pretty funny to watch unfold. I didn't even bother to check until my roommate had me look into these matters about the games no longer working.

weird. business is not fun for anyone involved.

Moofers

yes

so let's try
#VITAnoLicenseLock
#EndLicenseLock
#FreeOurGamesOnVita

@yosp
@amboyes
@giocorsi
@shahidkamal

I've tweeted yosp three times over the last two days and he hasn't said a word about it. Good luck.

bigkrev

If it's actually a third-party license issue, why are first-party games locked out?
GT is due to licensing issues with Car manufacturers

Motorstorm has an exploit that can lead to CFW

Wipeout I'm not sure about, but back in the day, before the PSP had a web browser, you could modify your save file and access a basic web browser using that. I'm guessing because there is some chance of an exploit being found in it, Sony just decided to make it unavailable for Vota instead of risking more security exploits

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Wipeout I'm not sure about, but back in the day, before the PSP had a web browser, you could modify your save file and access a basic web browser using that. I'm guessing because there is some chance of an exploit being found in it, Sony just decided to make it unavailable for Vota instead of risking more security exploits

The whole MS AR thing brings up my understanding of why Sony chose the proprietary memory card which basically has to encrypt data on the fly so it passes the checks in place with the Vita.

As much as I would love my own SD or MS solution I think a lot of us know where that would lead.

Vita is a great games machine which is struggling in the west and the last thing it needs is to be exploited.

LiquidMetal14

But that doesn't explain why games like Legend of Dragoon are locked out.

Could be royalties but remember, it may be locked out of Vita but that doesn't mean it's not playable on PSP/PS3.

I think the way some people broad stroke paint the picture they make it seem like the games on the store themselves are not playable on any of the devices.

On the note of LoD, I was going to DL it but opted not to. I got a good deal of games I wanted but that one I do regret.

Eusis

I thought Motorstorm's issue was fixed? They did relist games with fixed exploits as I recall, such as Hot Shots Tennis and Persona 2. Which leads to my next quoted post:
But that doesn't explain why games like Legend of Dragoon are locked out.
That even came post-Vita. Given the selections in other regions maybe SCEA really IS just that thick. Hopefully that "everything is available!" thing foreshadowed properly opening up at least a lot more games for Vita 2000 rather than some strange case of getting things right then fucking them back up.

LiquidMetal14

Legend of Dragoon was locked? I assume it was transferable from PS3, or are you talking about EU?

Hmmm, you mean you can transfer that over from PS3 in the US?

I thought Motorstorm's issue was fixed? They did relist games with fixed exploits as I recall, such as Hot Shots Tennis and Persona 2. Which leads to my next quoted post.

If it was put back up then I would imagine it's been fixed. That slipped my mind but the thought still crept in.

Darknight

I hope hackers can identify what made games become compatible. Reason is because PSX games still cant be played on exploited VITAs running on PSP emulation, just native PSP games. Last I remember they (hackers) couldnt emulate sound output on PSX games.

But yea I give my blessing to hackers now. I normally hate it when they start peeking into the systems but with what Sony has done, I hope this leads to more hacks. (to let us play our legal backups obviously such as the titles not supported ala Brave Story/Crash etc)

LiquidMetal14

I hope hackers can identify what made games become compatible. Reason is because PSX games still cant be played on exploited VITAs running on PSP emulation, just native PSP games. Last I remember they (hackers) couldnt emulate sound output on PSX games.

But yea I give my blessing to hackers now. I normally hate it when they start peeking into the systems but with what Sony has done, I hope this leads to more hacks. (to let us play our legal backups obviously such as the titles not supported ala Brave Story/Crash etc)

If it's anything like the exploits found and need to run a mini or some other game to access then the novelty of being able to play these games on Vita will quickly wear off.

I tried it at first with some of my old backups from games like CCFF7 and Star Ocean First Departure and was glad at first but then realized I had no interest in playing those games in this manner.

On top of the way you have to manage the games with one of the exploits and it makes the game that is running the exploit look like a bloated games if I recall correctly.

I quickly lost interest and deleted all my stuff and have relegated my old backed up games to their slumber. My UMD's can't even be used anymore since I long since got rid of my PSP.

lucius

The thing that disappoints me most about this reversal is that, in some cases, PSone classics actually performed better on Vita than they did on PS3.

Spyro 3, for instance, was the victim of all sorts of slowdown and music stuttering on PS3 (nothing game breaking, but definitely noticeable to anyone who played it on the original PS1 console). On Vita, however, performance was perfect as far as I could tell! It was a pleasant surprise.

Yeah I an not sure what's going on with PS3's PSone emulation sometimes or however it's running but it sucks compared to Vita with all it's options, they should get them running better on PS4 I would hope.

LiquidMetal14

Pretty sure I put it on my Vita shortly after I bought it. Barely ever played it because I didn't want to deal with transferring the save back and forth with the PS3 and deleted it to save space.

fake edit: yeah, I think it's transferable (or at least was)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/67776061

Looks like I might be doing this tomorrow then.

I still have about 23GB left on my 64GB card with a ton of games already in place. Yes, that was a stealth brag but I love having so many awesome games with space to spare.

LiquidMetal14

So if I transfer the so called banned games from my vita to my pc, will I be able to transfer them back?

Haven't tried that yet. I don't know if we have a guinea pig who is willing to test. Or maybe someone who just wants to get rid of one of the downloaded games can test.

daman824

Fuck this. Don't have my vita with me at the dorm so I wasn't able to get spyro. Would have been the first time I touched my vita in almost a year.

Cassen

Neo Member
I just tested Crash Bandicoot 2 to see if you can transfer from PC to the Vita.

Result: I'm able to download the game from my PC and play it.

Will try MGS: Portable Ops next.

Eusis

I was low on space and the Spyro games were big, so I just opted for Brave Story (which almost certainly WOULDN'T show back up if this were a mistake), R-Type Delta (tried to get R-Types but ran out of space) and Crash 2/3. If they can be restored from backup I'll be mildly disappointed with myself for not marathon downloading/deleting.

EDIT: Yeah, should've marathoned. Or at least got R-Types on, hopefully Crash and Spyro EVENTUALLY show up because not being there is the dumbest thing.

Cassen

Neo Member
Alright so MGS: Portable Ops is currently downloading from my PC to my Vita. I'm going to assume it will play but I won't know for about 2 minutes:

Here's the thing: I had Portable Ops and the 3 Crash Bandicoot games on my PC between the time when they were downloadable from the PSN store and when they were taken down. I did not put them on my PC after the delisting from the PSN occurred. Whether that is a factor or not for whether your able to transfer these games from PC to the Vita I have no clue.

RK128

So if I transfer the so called banned games from my vita to my pc, will I be able to transfer them back?

I tired this with Crash 2 (US PSN) and it worked perfectly; copied all of my PS1/PSP games to PC via Content Manger and can copy them back-and-forth without any issues! If you got the games during this 'glitch' and have them on your Vita, its a good idea to back them up :).

Edit: Here is proof in case people don't believe me :)

0nWYUb2.jpg

Mpi2W3U.jpg

rvDc3VZ.jpg

KalBalboa

Banned
I tired this with Crash 2 (US PSN) and it worked perfectly; copied all of my PS1/PSP games to PC via Content Manger and can copy them back-and-forth without any issues! If you got the games during this 'glitch' and have them on your Vita, its a good idea to back them up :).

Thanks for doing the research! I'll back mine up soon. I bet it works via PS3 too.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This is dumb really wish I could play Crash on my vita. Almost done with Spyro 1 and now want to do the Crash series. Fucking dumb how they won't allow it.

Armaly

Do you guys think that I could buy Portable Ops and put it on my psp, transfer the game from psp to pc and throw it in my content manager folder to download it onto my Vita?

Top Bottom