• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen: Early Impressions

Korten

Banned
Ugh. Sorry your game is so fucked. Guess i will backup my save every few hours... hopefully this shit gets patched quickly.

A bug like that will probably be fixed. Too game breaking to be ignored... Then again wasn't there a game breaking bug in Arkham Origins that never got fixed?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's interesting since the game is more in your face about the story, but don't let that make you think it holds your hand in guiding you were to go. Games main quests notifications are very one sentence and no marker to show you were to go. I like the approach. Here is my first two hours I streamed and explained a lot of the core stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRAmNYhl-N8&list=UUneXwJFn1BrVSUNOlrneROg The only thing I still can't figure out is the checpoints/respawn crystals. See the game has potions and you can get more empty viles which give you more. So for example if I keep returning to a crytal it heals me and fills my potions but only fills up so many, but sometimes its more then others and I can't tell whats the determning factor. If you die though, you get them all back.

There are 'gems' floating around the checkpoint, the numbers of gems spinning around it is how many potions it'll refill.

Ricker

any reviews on this game
I bought this and sunset, picking them up tomorrow

Embargo lifts in a few hours(9 PST)...there's been one review from a french site and he gave it a 5/10,but from the streamers here and the first impressions,Karak,Slasher etc etc,people seem to like it...

drotahorror

Well, I'm not sure I can recommend the game at all anymore. :p

Anyway, I played with a Rogue, can't remember if it was brawler or whatever. Doesn't really matter, just like in the Souls game you can customize your character however you like in terms of stats. Rogue is a good pick because of deception magic. The mimic skill can straight up destroy anything.

Cleric is not a good choice I think. You don't really need defensive skills, because you get plenty of healing potions. At the end I had 12 potions, which was overkill.

I thought classes mattered because it was tied to magic? I've seen several people say classes don't matter but if they don't matter, then why is certain magic and abilities tied to classes? (unless that's not the case but I thought it was)

I thought classes mattered because it was tied to magic? I've seen several people say classes don't matter but if they don't matter, then why is certain magic and abilities tied to classes? (unless that's not the case but I thought it was)

This game doesn't have classes. Your pick your magic tree, then starting items and the choices there can be refered to as cleric, warrior and rogue.

Well as far as I can tell it just puts the attribute points into different spots for that class. Though when choosing Cleric, you get the ability to use potions to refile magic. While as a warrior if give you the item that lasts you regain your souls instantly without going back to the location you died. My guess is Rogue lets you do something different with that as well. Also I can't seem to figure out how to use the consumable perk potions. Stuff that allows poison resist, etc. Says its consumable, but don't see anywhere in the menu to use it.

seabass0

I have a couple of questions for anyone that's played the game so far.

1) Do enemies patrol or are they stationary until you get within range?

2) Can you upgrade weapons/armor at a blacksmith or something similar?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I have a couple of questions for anyone that's played the game so far.

1) Do enemies patrol or are they stationary until you get within range?

2) Can you upgrade weapons/armor at a blacksmith or something similar?

Enemies can patrol, at least from the ones I've seen, and you can upgrade your items with runes for further stat increases/modifiers.

OT is going up in 20, considering it is now the 28th for UK and that's first country to get it.

seabass0

Enemies can patrol, at least from the ones I've seen, and you can upgrade your items with runes for further stat increases/modifiers.

OT is going up in 20, considering it is now the 28th for UK and that's first country to get it.

Thanks! And oh yeah, timezones are a beautiful thing. 5pm here and I was thinking I wouldn't see an OT until tomorrow morning :)

Sanctuary

I must be missing something. I don't think people do that at all (act as if they discovered the story by themselves), in fact, I remember there being tons of discussion of the Dark Souls lore as people were piecing it together.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the actual "depth" of the Dark Souls story/lore. I mean, I didn't figure out most of the story when I played it but I did have a basic understanding of the lore and every repeated replay added to that.

Many of these same people that "understand" the story now tend to lambast those who were not subjected to all of these very long discussions, claiming them stupid for saying the game doesn't have a real story, when most of these people had no idea what the story was actually about either until agreed upon interpretations came together. Now they sit in their ivory towers looking down upon the peasant dullards who just can't comprehend.

I'm not suggesting everyone is like this, it's just that too many are and they show up too often in these discussions.

Korten

Banned
I feel like this will another game that I love but everyone else either feels meh or hates. :(

Tends to happen with a lot of games. It's very rare for me to hate or not enjoy a game. Lost Planet 2 got slammed but I consider it one of the best co-op games i've ever played.

Many of these same people that "understand" the story now tend to lambast those who were not subjected to all of these very long discussions, claiming them stupid for saying the game doesn't have a real story, when most of these people had no idea what the story was actually about either until agreed upon interpretations came together. Now they sit in their ivory towers looking down upon the peasant dullards who just can't comprehend.

I'm not suggesting everyone is like this, it's just that too many are and they show up too often in these discussions.

That's ridiculous. And still doesn't actually go to whether or not that Dark Souls story has depth. Further, you didn't need to be in the discussions to understand the story. Playing through it once gave you a cursory understanding. Replaying it added to the understanding. Of course reading online discussions helped, as it does with anything that has ambiguity.

I'm coming into this thread super late, so I apologize if this has been covered. I just saw Jim Sterling's tweet about the PC version messing with this rig, is the PC version fo this considered to be pretty fucked up right now?

Hypron

I'm wondering whether I should get the game or not. It seems pretty fun but I don't know, I feel like I should wait until Bloodborne come out to not get burnt out on the genre.

Sayad

I'm wondering whether I should get the game or not. It seems pretty fun but I don't know, I feel like I should wait until Bloodborne come out to not get burnt out on the genre.
I'm avoiding both this and DS2's DLCs for the same reason, which might be a good plan for this game, since the developers seems like decent people who will actively keep patching the game after launch to fix bugs and what not.

Karak

I'm coming into this thread super late, so I apologize if this has been covered. I just saw Jim Sterling's tweet about the PC version messing with this rig, is the PC version fo this considered to be pretty fucked up right now?

I can completely confirm this. That is all I am saying as I am reviewing the game as well but yes he isn't the only one when the PC version has caused some considerable...grief.

nasos_333

Finished. Fucking finally.

Managed to carry on after three or four solid hours of doing nothing but backtrack throughout the entirety of the demon world and finally finding a thin corridor that was almost impossible to spot if you didn't have the camera at a certain angle. After that, some shitty story bits, an OK boss fight, a shitty boss fight, some backtracking, some exposition, some fighting and then the final, lackluster boss fight.

I have managed to kill every boss within two tries. That should tell you enough.

It's really not very good. There aren't that many different kind of enemies and they're all pretty straightforward. The bosses aren't hard either, especially if you've managed to collect enough bottles throughout your journey. Everything else is just a simpler, shittier version of what we could find in the Souls games, from the "crafting" (you put a rune in a weapon and now it does more damage. Yay) to magic to the character building. The story is horribly written and nothing special, the sidequests are really dumb, the NPCs don't really matter to the story or do anything helpful, and the level design is a confusing mess. The areas in Dark Souls were beautifully designed and huge, and somehow managed to be connected in such a genius way that traversing these areas was still fairly easy to remember and fun to do. In Lords of the Fallen the areas are actually really small, but they're overly messy, repetitive, and interconnected in so many, convoluted ways that you constantly feel trapped and lost. Like you're in some kind of sadistic maze. The loading screens don't help either.

And don't get me started on the technical problems. Text that pops up in the wrong places, enemies that suddenly die or regain health or simply vanish mid-fight, clipping problems, quest items that fail to appear only to appear after you've reloaded the game, etc.

I'm a sucker for action RPGs and the core mechanics aren't bad (not saying much, since they were stolen from Dark Souls) so fans of the genre, like me, will still get their money's worth, but I wish I'd had replayed one of the Souls games instead.

It took me 18 hours to finish the story, but like I said: 4 of those have been spent doing nothing but wandering around, not knowing what the fuck to do.

5/10

It is funny, but i had come to the exact same conclusions from videos, without ever touching the game myself :). It must be the special intuition of the avid Dark Souls gamer, with 300+ hours in. And more than 200 in DS2.

Thanks for confirming every single of what i feared about this game as i was watching the videos. Now i can save the cash towards Bloodborne :)

Top Bottom