• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| Not that one. The other one.

Well, I managed to best Pieta, but where do I go? It triggered a cutscene with the big hat dude welcoming me somewhere, but the gate is still closed?

Lokaum D+

can anyone confirm this, that lore iten description is locked under some stats ? if true a streng player ll be missing out on lore ?

time stamped.

Last edited:

NT80

Sounds like assumptions since you haven't heard those as facts(enemy variety). Low enemy variety point for example is directly challenged by IGN's review that claimed the opposite. Souls does the same thing with bosses becoming enemies. Taurus and Capra demon are just two examples. And just throwing "shit enemies" in willy nilly is another assumption.
I saw that in IGN's review but Flextralife's review on the other hand did bring up low enemy variety. What he described sound a lot like how it is in the Nioh games where you encounter most of the enemy types early on and then over the course of the rest of the game you see very few new ones. This issue just as in Nioh becomes compounded due to the length of the game. IGN's review mentioned weak bosses but Flextralife didn't say anything particular about the bosses.

Lux R7

Ryzen 7 3700x
Rtx 3090
32 GB ram

runs fine in 4k dlss and some tweaks in the graphics options, i posted some screens in the pc screenshot thread
however i'm having fun! started with the Condemned

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Welp level design is now a negative and just right pissed me off.

When you get to the hub area you leave and then can go up a set of steps into a church. There’s also a hidden path outside down a ladder down a long path through enemies, eventually to a lift. Once I got to the lift area and to the end you reach a 100% dead end area you need a key with no bonfire along the way for teleportation purposes. I used my lamp all over, combed for any other paths etc… and nothing.

A total waste of time and going back ? Oh no sir not an option because you had to do the archaic run and hit X shitty jump mechanic from old souls games and can’t go back up now. Waste of 20 mins , waste of 3k souls.

This is fucking amateur hour.

Whoever your guys are gargling nuts for in the “trusted souls creator” category have either been paid to lie to you or were never a trusty source because this game gets worse the more you play it.

Last edited:

SCB3

Played the first area and seems to run fine everywhere but cutscenes strangely, game seems fine running though but I'm not playing it just yet, have BG3 to finish off first and thats before I finish before Spiderman 2 is out

Ogbert

When you get to the hub area you leave and then can go up a set of steps into a church. There’s also a hidden path outside down a ladder down a long path through enemies, eventually to a lift. Once I got to the lift area and to the end you reach a 100% dead end area you need a key with no bonfire along the way for teleportation purposes. I used my lamp all over, combed for any other paths etc… and nothing.

A total waste of time and going back ? Oh no sir not an option because you had to do the archaic run and hit X shitty jump mechanic from old souls games and can’t go back up now. Waste of 20 mins , waste of 3k souls.

This is fucking amateur hour.

Whoever your guys are gargling nuts for in the “trusted souls creator” category have either been paid to lie to you or were never a trusty source because this game gets worse the more you play it.
It’s fucking garbage.

Close to uninstalling. Hideous camera, shit level design, artificial difficulty by simply making you fight loads of mobs. Performance is the absolute pits.

Whoever has been talking this up on YouTube is a shill and/or clown.

Lokaum D+

Just finished the intro and got to the Hub area and here are my first impressions:

- Combat feels a little "float" to my taste, but its not that bad.
- Parry window is a lot wider, i can see why ppl may like this game more.
- Too many "commands" to deal with the lantern and ranged option, imo awfull implementation.
- Sound effects are better than i expected, but far from good.
- Camera feels off.
- Graphicaly is good, but i still prefer a "cleaner aesthetic". Some areas just feels like an asset galore, just throw a llittle of everything and call it a day.
- Performance for the intro was OK, runing at 1080p DLSS with a RTX 2060S.
- Umbral world feels like great idea, but atm its feels like a chore.

From what i've played so far, the game is pretty easy and dont punish player mistakes as other games do, first "boss" was a cake walk, tonight i ll dive in again and put some more hours, let see what waits me.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
So played one hour on PC (3080, 5600x) and here are my impressions for what its worth-

• The performance is weird. In the sense that while its OK, DLSS moving from quality to balanced didnt seem to do anything to improve. Either that or there is some weird deadzone or acceleration or some fuckery going on with the controls which negates performance improvements and make it feel sluggish (am playing with a Xbox series controller). Maybe I should try mouse or disable all controller related 'enhancements' somehow.
  • Visuals are OK for now. Seems a bit washed out even though my TV (LG G2) is calibrated properly. Maybe further areas would be different/better.
  • By God does the game throw 100 tutorials/mechanics at you one after one. They really needed to space them out and introduce them slowly.
  • Apart from no backstabbing, combat is pretty similar to from games. Parrying was surprisingly easy on the first boss.

I am debating whether to wait for performance patches. Or if I can fix the controller issue that might help.

Portugeezer

This game needed a few more weeks to iron out the bugs. Performance is pretty smooth on PS5 but is has some menu/interface jank.

GHG

Just crashed the moment I come out of the character creator. Great start.

It's amazing how the one time I get a key from outside of steam for a new game this shit happens. I'd be smashing the refund button already if not.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played a bit today... why not, steam refunds are free after all.
Runs good, about 50-60fps 4k, dlss performance, ultra. Some stuttering, nothing crazy. Frametimes suck a bit and vrr flickers because of that on oled.

Your character is a boat. You run super fast but the camera makes it feel like you are controlling a gta4 car.
UI is really not the best too.
Graphics are ok. a bit flat lighting and very busy geometry. Too busy.

That aside, I just can't be bothered with the fucking slow walking lamp mechanics and it's controls.
I found myself constantly checking out the lamp or transfering to umbral and it's not fun. I never want to be there. It looks busy and is just an annoying timed puzzle.
You have to suck the door for it to open... and it takes forever to do those actions. nobody want to do that crap.

Parrying and combat feel pretty good. No complaints here. I've not played that much.
But yeah - the lamp is tragic. It's busy work. I don't find it cool. Only annoying

edit: And throwables/ranged controls are absolutely insane. HOW THE HELL DO YOU EVEN COME UP WITH THIS.

Last edited:

ssringo

Played for about an hour. I have no serious complaints about anything. Combat feels good, sound effects are fine and performance is a solid 60fps at 1440p which is plenty good enough for me.

I do think the lamp animations should be a bit faster though. Not the moving and looking into umbral; I'm actually down for the slow investigative exploration feel (for a first playthrough anyway). But the sucking, planting and snatching stuff feels a bit clunky and making them just a bit faster would be great.

GHG

Ok got it running, getting 90-120 fps, maxed out, DLSS Quality on a 4090 running 537.42 drivers (not the latest ones). Turns out it was Xbox gamebar causing the game to crash so used Steam's in-built fps monitoring to see framerates.

No complaints so far, it actually feels surprisingly responsive. Added bonus, the dualsense is natively supported (haptics etc), just make sure you disable the playstation controller support in the steam controller settings if you want it to work.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It is so far not a bad game, it just is another game that is following in FS's wake instead of trying to forge its own path. The umbral mechanic is a clear attempt at trying something different, but in a fast paced genre, developing out the muscle-memory to fold in interacting with the lamp is going to take some time. . .if you stick with the game.

And honestly, the performance just in the opening area has me giving this a STEAM refund and waiting for a significant patch. I also do not understand how after 10 years the weapon impact is STILL terrible in this. Of all the things to bring over from the original game.

. . .also, this might be the worst lock-on in any Soulslike I've seen.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played a bit today... why not, steam refunds are free after all.
Runs good, about 50-60fps 4k, dlss performance, ultra. Some stuttering, nothing crazy. Frametimes suck a bit and vrr flickers because of that on oled.

Your character is a boat. You run super fast but the camera makes it feel like you are controlling a gta4 car.
UI is really not the best too.
Graphics are ok. a bit flat lighting and very busy geometry. Too busy.

That aside, I just can't be bothered with the fucking slow walking lamp mechanics and it's controls.
I found myself constantly checking out the lamp or transfering to umbral and it's not fun. I never want to be there. It looks busy and is just an annoying timed puzzle.
You have to suck the door for it to open... and it takes forever to do those actions. nobody want to do that crap.

Parrying and combat feel pretty good. No complaints here. I've not played that much.
But yeah - the lamp is tragic. It's busy work. I don't find it cool. Only annoying

edit: And throwables/ranged controls are absolutely insane. HOW THE HELL DO YOU EVEN COME UP WITH THIS.
Are you refunding it or will you stick it out? You only get a couple hours with Steam.

GrayChild

Played for about two hours. Some framedips here and there, but nothing too serious.

The combat is floaty AF though, and feels worse than every FS game out there as well as most of the Soulslike titles. Not to mention the poor hit feedback and sound effects. And what the fuck is with the camera and FOV?!

Finally, Pieta is a classic example of cheap difficulty. It's like they learned all the wrong lessons from Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Man Pieta is giving me real trouble, even with NPS summon. Any tips?
She’s actually not too bad at all. Just a lot of spells and flashy effects that make you think she’s far worse.

Phase one - just parry her. 4 times and you get a crit blow. Will take you less than a minute to get her down to phase 2.

Phase two - stay out of the lanes when she and her buddies do the dive. Get the tells for her grab and slam attacks. After that just parry / dodge.

Don’t get too greedy. The game is very much like standard souls. Couple of hits then move.

ssringo

Man Pieta is giving me real trouble, even with NPS summon. Any tips?
My general advice for bosses in these kind of games is if you struggle then spend a fight or two not worrying about attacking and just try to avoid and heal. It's so much easier to pick up on patterns when you aren't trying to brute force it.

Unfortunately I'm already forgetting the details of the fight but she doesn't have a big moveset to figure out. Her combos aren't long and can be dodged then punished once she's recovering from them. Blocking at this point isn't really worth it unless you're still learning her moves. Edit: Unless one of the classes has a good shield out the gate. I chose the Priest (or whatever it's called) and their shield is pooey.

And as Ogbert said, don't get greedy.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Ok, already in love. It runs so smoothly at 4k with almost everything on ultra. The graphics are awesome!

Lol, I managed to get past the spot where it says to switch to umbral by rolling just right but then you fall to your death so I ended up in umbral after all.

And the haptics in the Dualsense are really nice in this.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Beware PS5 players

there-goes-15-hours-v0-tziazzt1w1ub1.jpg

Dev1lXYZ

The deluxe version is the best deluxe version I have ever purchased.
The artbook actually has a lot of pages with more to unlock.
Not sure if the model viewer is exclusive to deluxe, but it’s appreciated.
And sountrack is there too.

There was a lot of love put into this game. It’s a damn shame that it was released in the state that it’s in, because people are going to play for a small bit and move on. This isn’t that kind of game. I can already tell this is one that you’ll have to get into a bit before it clicks.

PS5 Version played in performance mode.

I picked the Dark Crusader class and have bumbled around the first area of the game. I have heard that it’s the worst looking area of the game, and I can add that it’s just derivative of what souls players have seen many times before with a bit more junk in the trunk graphically.

Combat is good, but the camera needs some tweaking in close combat and the targeting system doesn’t target the closest enemy, it targets the one in the middle of the screen. Like others above have commented on, you run like the wind even in full plate armor! I chased a glowing butterfly trail over the hills and through the damn woods of the level like Sonic The Hedgehog! 😂💪. Next up, the lantern. It needs work. I don’t understand why I can drop into the Umbral World but getting back out again doesn’t work the same way every time. Maybe you can’t do it if you have aggro going on? 🤔

So, how do I feel about my purchase? Good. There is a lot of world to explore and that is my favorite aspect of any souls game. The combat is also fun. The world design reminds me of LOTR Mordor. I don’t know anything about the lore more than what I have seen thus far, but this has to be pretty meaty if you want it to be.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Ok, leveled about 5 times so far. Still haven't gotten to Pieta. Taking it nice and slow using my lantern a lot and found a hidden path to get some items. A cool looking axe but it requires Inferno. Farmed a little, practicing the parries and getting an overall feel for the combat. When I saw a new enemy wielding dual axes I changed direction and found another vestige so that was a relief(I love that feeling in Souls likes)since I had 5k vigor. Off to the gym. Will play more later

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Ok, put some more hours into it and killed Pieta, i think the game its not for me, some points:

- i really dont like the art direction of this game, it feels soo busy to the eye.
- the camera is off and the feel of "floating" just make everything worse, the combat feel generic and the character moves way to fast.
- sound effects are the worst i've seen in a souls-like, it breaks all the immersion for me and boss music turn the volume up to a 100 from nowhere i can't even hear some sound effects ( it may be a bug or my headset ) .
- too many buttons to control the lamp and the ranged option, the person who designed this should be fired.
- performance is Okish, could've been better.

I think thats it for me, this game looked amazing on the trailers and all PR material, but at the end it fells more generic then mortal shell for me.

Edit: put few more hours into it and that it, uninstalled, i ll get the plat for LoP and then move to Sekiro one more time.

Last edited:

SaniOYOYOY

played a bit.
I assumed performance issues is simmilar to wo-long and put 75fps cap in. so far runs great.

gameplay impression :
  • gank soul is appropriate. so far Im okay with it
  • movement is snappy
  • I like the umbral bits
edit : played until the second boss, game is creepy as shit. love it

Last edited:

Incorrect, there *is* a way forward, it's just not obvious. I was in the same area yesterday and was running back and forth trying to figure it out. At the end of the sunlit corridor you turn right. If you go into Umbral it creates a bridge but that leads to a dead end, right? So you *don't* enter Umbral but rather raise your lamp to make the bridge appear in Axiom and start walking over it. Midway through you notice there is a platform under you with an item on it. Simply lower the lamp, bridge disappears and you fall on that platform. NOW enter Umbral to continue forward. Level design is actually quite clever if a bit obtuse, requires lateral thinking.

---------------------------------------------------

After a good 7 hour session yesterday I'd say the only thing holding this back from being a great game is the performance, should have been delayed 3 months to iron everything out. Hopefully it's patched soon because otherwise I'm having a blast, it's flawed for sure but it's completely sucked me in nonetheless. Definitely a love it or hate game though, GAF seems to be 50/50?

Interesting observation with heavy attack in that it doesn't do more damage than light attack *except* when charged. Two-handing makes a tangible DMG difference as with Souls. Found an NPC who had a single pyro spell but it's just a DMG boost, give me that Lost Izalith shit lol. Speaking of which this game is closest in tone and world design to the original Dark Souls, right down to the performance in a swamp area that runs like OG Blighttown 😂

Will be busy with work and travel over the weekend but I should be able to squeeze in a couple of hours. Beat the next major boss (major bosses have trophies associated with them so you'll always know) and I'm lost in the afformentioned swamp area, good times!

DavidGzz

Downloading a 1.37gb patch on Steam. I hope it doesn't fuck my shit up cause it was rushed since I haven't had any issues yet.

hyperbertha

Ok, put some more hours into it and killed Pieta, i think the game its not for me, some points:

- i really dont like the art direction of this game, it feels soo busy to the eye.
- the camera is off and the feel of "floating" just make everything worse, the combat feel generic and the character moves way to fast.
- sound effects are the worst i've seen in a souls-like, it breaks all the immersion for me and boss music turn the volume up to a 100 from nowhere i can't even hear some sound effects ( it may be a bug or my headset ) .
- too many buttons to control the lamp and the ranged option, the person who designed this should be fired.
- performance is Okish, could've been better.

I think thats it for me, this game looked amazing on the trailers and all PR material, but at the end it fells more generic then mortal shell for me.

Edit: put few more hours into it and that it, uninstalled, i ll get the plat for LoP and then move to Sekiro one more time.
Plus attacks have no weight. Animation and sound design is lacking.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guys make sure to update drivers if you are using Nvidia cards. Made quite a difference for me.

DavidGzz

Guys make sure to update drivers if you are using Nvidia cards. Made quite a difference for me.

Yeah, I did that before I played it and haven't had one issue. Very smooth. As for attacks not having weight, that's silly to me. I like the animations and how the attacks feel. Maybe the dual sense is just helping in that regard because I don't get it, they feel as weighty as Elden Rings to me. I really like how you can combine attacks from one handed to two handed and holding the RT attack. I also like the regain health mechanic after blocking, make blocking without a shield more viable.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yeah, I did that before I played it and haven't had one issue. Very smooth. As for attacks not having weight, that's silly to me. I like the animations and how the attacks feel. Maybe the dual sense is just helping in that regard because I don't get it, they feel as weighty as Elden Rings to me. I really like how you can combine attacks from one handed to two handed and holding the RT attack. I also like the regain health mechanic after blocking, make blocking without a shield more viable.

Is the dualsense implementation good? Is it worth going through the headache of using a USB for the controller and disabling something in steam and all that?

DavidGzz

Is the dualsense implementation good? Is it worth going through the headache of using a USB for the controller and disabling something in steam and all that?

I didn't do anything besides plug it in, maybe I'm just getting basic rumble then? I thought it felt really good already. My PC is close enough to where the usb cord doesn't bother me.

I'm really loving the armor dye system! This is just the base armor on my second character(female).

CltLzlS.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really loving the armor dye system! This is just the base armor on my second character(female).

CltLzlS.jpg

For as much as both Lies of P and Lords borrows from FROM there are a couple of things I'd like to see *FROM* use in future releases:

Lies of P - pick up souls outside of boss room and having a training room to freely try out weapons/spells, test various stuff

Lords - dye system, would love to be able to further customize my look. Revenge system though Nioh actually did this first, it's cool to have an option to avenge a fallen player for more XP/special resources.

I'm happy at least some of you are enjoying the game as I am despite it's flaws. We should want for more devs to create quality titles within this sub-genre but that will never happen without player support, a toast to you day 1 bros 🥳

Filben

Boy, those Steam reviews... I have checked the developers, founded in early 2020, a studio founded by a publisher who released Sniper Contracst and a dozen picture puzzle games (who weren't even better than average). This game was blinding people with well-made trailers and good presentation and visuals. But it seems there's nothing more to it. The original LotF is probably better by reading those reviews...

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Boy, those Steam reviews... I have checked the developers, founded in early 2020, a studio founded by a publisher who released Sniper Contracst and a dozen picture puzzle games (who weren't even better than average). This game was blinding people with well-made trailers and good presentation and visuals. But it seems there's nothing more to it. The original LotF is probably better by reading those reviews...

Its not bad at all actually. Post driver and today's update its running pretty smooth on my end (3080, 5600x). I did disable ray-tracing though (scattering and global illumination to medium) and didn't really see any difference in visuals.

I am now getting into it. Understanding the systems and all. It kinda gives a bad first impression with so many tutorials and mechanics being thrown at you, bad performance (if you don't update drivers and tweak some settings) etc. But it keeps getting better IMO.

Top Bottom