• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
died by falling down a obvious trap hole, what a idiot lol. first time using those potions to recover all your xp

edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU everyone is respawned...pf course, but still! oh well more xp

I jumped into the Twitch stream with the devs and asked if they could put in a toggle for the chromatic aberration on PC.

Lotfgame: @Jim2point0 I've already taken a note of that

So they're aware at least....

Also, the game has crashed twice during the stream :p

burgerdog

Shiiiiit, did I have to keep luring the champion toward the wooden gate? I only tried it once and it didn't break so I stopped bothering.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
damn these catacombs are amazing...and I got THAT armor set :D

creyas

People who had accidentally went some back way (the one that seemed like the 'proper' way to go with the audio log) into the Graveyard area; where is it?

e: this:

Ok, this is BS. After 2nd boss:

My ring started beeping by a broken tower wall, and I saw there was a little path down there. I dropped down, and found a sword. No where to go except one way : into the 3rd (I think?) boss graveyard. I'm basically locked into fighting this guy... takes me about an hour and half to finally take him down. Now, I'm stuck between entering a the portal into the "lord land" or going through these tombs where I basically get one-hit dead by anything. What the hell am I supposed to do? Just keep running? I'm extremely underleveled here... I think I'm around level 12...

e2: Okay, found it thanks to the tip in that post.
Burned Watchtower, broken wall, you can see a chest, foggy. That log info would've been useful to avoid my only boss death so far. :p Just did the Beast.

Sanctuary

died by falling down a obvious trap hole, what a idiot lol. first time using those potions to recover all your xp

edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU everyone is respawned...pf course, but still! oh well more xp

Dying seems to be the perfect point in which to spend your XP too.

Which armor set? I think I cleared everything there and even got all in achievement against the boss!

Harmony I think? Kind of looks like a cross between Daedric from Skyrim and some kind of superhero outfit. Then there's also the Griffon set (awesome "cloak" with it), although I don't remember if it was from there or the Demonic realm.
I think a lot of the aesthetics of this game are extremely subpar and bland, but some of those armors look fucking amazing. As though two entirely different art teams were working on the game.

Rhaknar

Which armor set? I think I cleared everything there and even got all in achievement against the boss!

I got another one lol. THAT one is the one that looks like
Sauron or a LOTR wraith (black robes with spiky armor, its medium armor)
, then I got another which is heavy also cool looking.

oh and that
Scythe from the gravewayrd boss, using it now cause I got 18 faith, makes a spike from the ground if you have magic, like he did :) cool detail. also you are all smoke-y when you weild it

just died again on a hole, oh well time to use my xp. I think I have explored everything, I assume that switch with a big gate near a spider leads to a / the boss, and I also found a door near a checkpoint that said "leave"

Sanctuary

I got another one lol. THAT one is the one that looks like
Sauron or a LOTR wraith (black robes with spiky armor, its medium armor)
, then I got another which is heavy also cool looking.

oh and that
Scythe from the gravewayrd boss, using it now cause I got 18 faith, makes a spike from the ground if you have magic, like he did :) cool detail. also you are all smoke-y when you weild it

just died again on a hole, oh well time to use my xp. I think I have explored everything, I assume that switch with a big gate near a spider leads to a / the boss, and I also found a door near a checkpoint that said "leave"

You get the weapon regardless. The version you have is the one you get for beating the boss with a special requirement.

The area that says it's an exit is actually the place you're supposed to go to first, as far as story and ease go. The gate with the spider does
lead to a boss. Not too terribly difficult either, but he's meant for a little later. The other checkpoint you're talking about seems like it's right next to the big brown, circular "door" in the burial chamber, but that leads to the graveyard that you've obviously already been to.

Again you're using words you cannot fully comprehend. What language is your native tongue? I speak 7, perhaps you should try a different language.

(Ignorant does not mean what you think it means

Also it's we're*)

The first thing you cried about, yes cried, was that souls does have a very deep story. Majority told you to read a book or two, you claimed we we're all ignorant.

You actually called me an idiot? Show me where so I can also report you. The post I quoted wasn't me (3 strikes and you're out)

Childish = subjective

Simplistic = yes, that happens when you work more than 12 hours per day also english is not my pref language

Repetitive? I said souls doesn't have a masterful story one time.

siV0Yc0.jpg

EDIT I'm not calling you a kid, i'm saying you are. There's no way a 29 year old can be this childish... no way. Anyone you don't agree with, you label as idiot, that's a 5-8 sandbox mentality.

OK WE GET IT! Every time you reply to the guy makes you no better, and look even worse. Also, yes, you guys know how to use memes... congratulations.

BumRush

I'm not saying you people aren't allowed to enjoy this game.

L5ibkut.jpg

But seriously...let's get back to focusing on the game...everyone has different opinions - and that's great - but half the posts in the last 3 pages are argumentative / personal attacks. Let's clean up this thread.

I literally spent 4 hours last night just grinding XP...the game is starting to look more and more gorgeous...the combat starting to feel more and more fluid. Screen tearing (PS4) is still a major issue though...

Rhaknar

You get the weapon regardless. The version you have is the one you get for beating the boss with a special requirement.

The area that says it's an exit is actually the place you're supposed to go to first, as far as story and ease go. The gate with the spider does
lead to a boss. Not too terribly difficult either, but he's meant for a little later. The other checkpoint you're talking about seems like it's right next to the big brown, circular "door" in the burial chamber, but that leads to the graveyard that you've obviously already been to.

oh shit does the door exit near the graveyard boss, in a door that had like a demon head above?

Harmony I think? Kind of looks like a cross between Daedric from Skyrim and some kind of superhero outfit. Then there's also the Griffon set (awesome "cloak" with it), although I don't remember if it was from there or the Demonic realm.
I think a lot of the aesthetics of this game are extremely subpar and bland, but some of those armors look fucking amazing. As though two entirely different art teams were working on the game.

yup its Harmony. the other set is Living Legend (heavy)

Maffis

This game even lets you respec all your attribute points with a special item. Nice, made me put all those unnecessary agility points into faith instead. i can now use that clawfinger weapon that shoots spikes from the ground. really amazing for all those shield dudes. but so far ive crashed right after using it :/ so much for that special weapon

damn these catacombs are amazing...and I got THAT armor set :D

Yeah it seems some folks don't like that area but I think it's great. Very big and yes a little confusing to explore but isn't that how catacombs should be? I feel it's appropriate.

This game even lets you respec all your attribute points with a special item. Nice, made me put all those unnecessary agility points into faith instead. i can now use that clawfinger weapon that shoots spikes from the ground. really amazing for all those shield dudes.

Where is this item?

Zomba13

Is there a guide or something with the special requirements for the bosses to get the bonus loot?

I just have no idea what they are (beaten about 4 or 5 bosses I think so far) and how to figure them out.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Have people figured out all the alternative ways to kill the bosses yet and get their special loot?

The only one I figured out is the very first boss: if you kill him without getting hit, you can do a shockwave with his sword.

This game could use some fast travel. Wanna go back and clear the catacombs but it's so far -_-

Fast travel is the last thing the game needs. Keystone and the Rhogar dimension are surprisingly small, really :)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Where is this item?

Before you go outside from the starting area you should see an item near the tall statute. Jump to get it. It's a key that you take back to the first area (where Kaslo set the light). From the Initiation room look up and you will see a white curtain on the other side of the room. You can jump to it. At the end of the secret area is the Shard of Heroes.

BumRush

Before you go outside from the starting area you should see an item near the tall statute. Jump to get it. It's a key that you take back to the first area (where Kaslo set the light). From the Initiation room look up and you will see a white curtain on the other side of the room. You can jump to it. At the end of the secret area is the Shard of Heroes.

ANDS, can you use it multiple times?

Randy

Do you have to do something special to make the quest giver at the beginning (to search for Antana's signs) appear? In the room he should be in there are only 2 mobs.

Rhaknar

ok killed the catacomb boss, but I cant figure out how to:

A) break the wall in the jail that chymes when you have the compass, obviously something is there

B) open the locked wood door in one of the corridors, before you reach the circle arena type areas (with the hole you can die in in the middle)

anyone knows?

edit: also in the
boss room I just noced theres items behind the big grate with wooden planks on it, how do you go there? o_O

burgerdog

This game even lets you respec all your attribute points with a special item. Nice, made me put all those unnecessary agility points into faith instead. i can now use that clawfinger weapon that shoots spikes from the ground. really amazing for all those shield dudes. but so far ive crashed right after using it :/ so much for that special weapon

Where did you get the special item to respec?

Where did you get the special item to respec?

I think this is the one you want.

ZangBa

ok killed the catacomb boss, but I cant figure out how to:

A) break the wall in the jail that chymes when you have the compass, obviously something is there

B) open the locked wood door in one of the corridors, before you reach the circle arena type areas (with the hole you can die in in the middle)

anyone knows?

edit: also in the
boss room I just noced theres items behind the big grate with wooden planks on it, how do you go there? o_O

A. Can you describe the location better? I remember there being a wall I just ran through with my shield up in one of the jail cells.

B. I felt clever when I figured this out. There's a pressure sensitive plate behind a tomb in the circle area, but standing on it won't give you enough time to run to the door. I don't know if every spell tree has a similar spell, but for the deception tree I used the prayer spell so that the illusion would be standing over the plate. That gives you enough time to run through the door.

C.
I think this opens automatically when you progress a bit further.

Zafir

Have people figured out all the alternative ways to kill the bosses yet and get their special loot?

The only one I figured out is the very first boss: if you kill him without getting hit, you can do a shockwave with his sword.
I got the special weapon off the fourth boss, infiltrator. I'm not sure how.

Unfortunately the weapon requires you to two hand and I don't like two handing weapons.

Rhaknar

A. Can you describe the location better? I remember there being a wall I just ran through with my shield up in one of the jail cells.

B. I felt clever when I figured this out. There's a pressure sensitive plate behind a tomb in the circle area, but standing on it won't give you enough time to run to the door. I don't know if every spell tree has a similar spell, but for the deception tree I used the prayer spell so that the illusion would be standing over the plate. That gives you enough time to run through the door.

C.
I think this opens automatically when you progress a bit further.

for B
thats the same as the pressure plate after the boss in some tunnels then, opens a grate later on which had a stupid dagger :(

for A this jail cell with the chyma is in the upper levels in the room with all the jail cells that goes around, one of them has a chyme with the compass equipped

edit: just noticed the health regen with 3/3 in prayer is huge. also, 3/3 in Ram is ridiculous :D

ZangBa

for B
thats the same as the pressure plate after the boss in some tunnels then, opens a grate later on which had a stupid dagger :(

for A this jail cell with the chyma is in the upper levels in the room with all the jail cells that goes around, one of them has a chyme with the compass equipped

Yeah, that's the wall I'm thinking of. You just have to run through with your shield up.

Rhaknar

dude i just found another thing... I found a
lab at the end of a tunnel with a door that says "leave", where does this lead to lol. I dont want everyone to respawn atm

also before the
lab in the tunnel there was a room with a scroll talking about a cursed sword that we shouldnt pick up...I must have that sword of course :p

Yeah, that's the wall I'm thinking of. You just have to run through with your shield up.

worked, had a
sweet hammer, might use it too!

ZangBa

dude i just found another thing... I found a
lab at the end of a tunnel with a door that says "leave", where does this lead to lol. I dont want everyone to respawn atm

also before the
lab in the tunnel there was a room with a scroll talking about a cursed sword that we shouldnt pick up...I must have that sword of course :p

It opens a shortcut to what I believe is the tower near the graveyard area.

I don't remember where I got it, sorry.

Maffis

The clawfinger special attack i got from the third boss crashes my game everytime i use it lol. finally got something amazing for a faith weapon and this happens :/

also, i dont recommend just going single faith. also get either agility or strength. you are gonna need a good shield or a good weapon to use alongside your gauntlet and spells. i level both my faith and strength equally, and i can literally wreck shit with just my spells alone. i think its a design choice with all the agility/strength weapons because faith is really powerful since it even regens (especially good when you get the mana regen ring).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm officially sick of lock-on systems. Especially shitty ones.

You dodge an enemy attack, but not really, because the lock-on system drives all enemy attacks, and makes many of them heat-seeking fucking warp attacks that bend space-time to track your movement without any regard for logical momentum and weight. Couple this with the fact almost all enemy attacks stagger, while most of yours don't, and they begin their next attacks within the smallest of windows, while you're having to manage long wind-ups on most of yours, and waiting to recover from evasive moves that take forever... it's just, stupid.

Souls is guilty of this too, but it's so much worse here. Especially with these questionable hitboxes.

If the enemy swings and I dodge, reward ME, don't allow the dumb attack from the enemy to auto-track (especially when it seems to break every law of physics) because that is punishing the player and hurting the core combat experience. Imo.

I'm done with any third person game that uses these lock-on systems. I'm pretty sick of them in Souls now too.

Rhaknar

It opens a shortcut to what I believe is the tower near the graveyard area.

I don't remember where I got it, sorry.

since you know everything about the catacomb (lol), also in the jail circular area right,
there is a fence with barrels, a zombie dude and a scroll behind. any idea how to get there? there seems to be a gate but you cant use or bash it

yatesl

I've been playing this all wrong. As a rogue I shouldn't be using two daggers, I should be using a big monk's staff.

Obviously.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm officially sick of lock-on systems. Especially shitty ones.

You dodge an enemy attack, but not really, because the lock-on system drives all enemy attacks, and makes many of them heat-seeking fucking warp attacks that bend space-time to track your movement without any regard for logical momentum and weight. Couple this with the fact almost all enemy attacks stagger, while most of yours don't, and they begin their next attacks within the smallest of windows, while you're having to manage long wind-ups on most of yours, and waiting to recover from evasive moves that take forever... it's just, stupid.

Souls is guilty of this too, but it's so much worse here. Especially with these questionable hitboxes.

If the enemy swings and I dodge, reward ME, don't allow the dumb attack from the enemy to auto-track (especially when it seems to break every law of physics) because that is punishing the player and hurting the core combat experience. Imo.

I'm done with any third person game that uses these lock-on systems. I'm pretty sick of them in Souls now too.
I've mastered the art of de-target-rolling in Souls-games. You should too.

Lock on to your enemy. Just as the enemy attacks you, remove the lock on, push your stick forward against the enemy and roll. Just as you're mid-roll, target him and you'll end up rolling in-front of him and landing right behind him with your face towards his back.

It's perfection.

ironcreed

Banned
As much as I am loving Sunset Overdrive, I have got hooked on this since I started. Too many good games to play can be a real dilemma and it's going to get far worse in November.

11 Hours in and felt like i was nearing end-game. I checked online and apparently i'm like halfways or something, if even that. Sweet!

Absolutely loving this game at the moment, fun combat, great map that is fun to explore etcetc. Hell, even the boss themes are great.

I've been playing this all wrong. As a rogue I shouldn't be using two daggers, I should be using a big monk's staff.

Obviously.

I ran with staff for a while, but found a fist weapon that has high as hell crits. So i'm clawing my way to victory at the moment.

Also fist weapons might have the best running attack in the game. So cool.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've mastered the art of de-target-rolling in Souls-games. You should too.

Lock on to your enemy. Just as the enemy attacks you, remove the lock on, push your stick forward against the enemy and roll. Just as you're mid-roll, target him and you'll end up rolling in-front of him and landing right behind him with your face towards his back.

It's perfection.

I barely use lock in souls anymore...

It's different here. You also can't "aim" your unlocked attacks in LotF as you can in Souls. It's just half-baked feeling.

Sothpaw

I barely use lock in souls anymore...

It's different here. You also can't "aim" your unlocked attacks in LotF as you can in Souls. It's just half-baked feeling.

Agreed that the targeting is worse in this game than Souls. I don't like how I can not run away from an enemy but turn the camera towards them and lock on. It seems you have to be actually facing the enemy to target them.

As much as I am loving Sunset Overdrive, I have got hooked on this since I started. Too many good games to play can be a real dilemma and it's going to get far worse in November.

SO is a shooter. Just blaze through that then take your time with this game like you should any good rpg.

ZangBa

since you know everything about the catacomb (lol), also in the jail circular area right,
there is a fence with barrels, a zombie dude and a scroll behind. any idea how to get there? there seems to be a gate but you cant use or bash it

I'm pretty sure after you beat the boss one of the doors in that area opens up and leads you there.

Rhaknar

I'm pretty sure after you beat the boss one of the doors in that area opens up and leads you there.

hmm havent found anything.

the sound that hammers make is amazing, CLANK!

also, dat life
leech ring
from the portal challenge in the catacomb!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The lock on in the game is brain dead. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take an act of congress to switch from one enemy to another.

Also apperantly after collecting all these fucking Human Skulls:

I'm fucked from getting my reward because. . .reasons? Or rather the reason is I actually played the game and beat a boss before turning the skulls in. This better not be true, and the guy just moves around (from the Rhogar Realm) because I'm already getting peeved that certain playstyles seem favored over others.

Top Bottom