• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Maffis

I'm officially sick of lock-on systems. Especially shitty ones.

You dodge an enemy attack, but not really, because the lock-on system drives all enemy attacks, and makes many of them heat-seeking fucking warp attacks that bend space-time to track your movement without any regard for logical momentum and weight. Couple this with the fact almost all enemy attacks stagger, while most of yours don't, and they begin their next attacks within the smallest of windows, while you're having to manage long wind-ups on most of yours, and waiting to recover from evasive moves that take forever... it's just, stupid.

Souls is guilty of this too, but it's so much worse here. Especially with these questionable hitboxes.

If the enemy swings and I dodge, reward ME, don't allow the dumb attack from the enemy to auto-track (especially when it seems to break every law of physics) because that is punishing the player and hurting the core combat experience. Imo.

I'm done with any third person game that uses these lock-on systems. I'm pretty sick of them in Souls now too.

The combat in this game is different. Because you have access to so many more skills than in Souls games, at all times. You can switch weapons on the fly, basically always have a shield equipped, you have your gauntlet and you have your spells.

If you could just dodge and attack every enemy like in Souls, those other things would be simply pointless. I think you are supposed to use everything you've got as a Rogue, even if one would think dual daggers is what a rogue does.

I guess warrior with full armor is the exception. just trade hits with everything and you win. they really dropped the ball on the warrior playstyle imo.

Sanctuary

Have people figured out all the alternative ways to kill the bosses yet and get their special loot?

The only one I figured out is the very first boss: if you kill him without getting hit, you can do a shockwave with his sword.

Fast travel is the last thing the game needs. Keystone and the Rhogar dimension are surprisingly small, really :)

1st boss:
don't take damage.
2nd boss:
don't block.
3rd boss
(graveyard): have him kill at least two of his own summons.
4th boss
(catacombs): don't let his rage bar fill up outside of when it automatically happens with transitions.
5th boss
(Beast): don't get hit by his poison pools.

Actually don't remember what order the
Infiltrator
is. I guess it's technically the 4th if you're following the story order? For it, you're supposed to
kill it before the orbs light up in the room.

Also, I think I hit a quest bug. Unless you're supposed to end up with more than one
tattoo
, because the quest giver keeps telling me to finish the job, even though the description of the item makes it seem like I already have.

burgerdog

The one thing I need to do is my pull myself away from this game so I can finish Bayonetta 2, I'm at the best part of the game according to gaf.

1st boss:
don't take damage.
2nd boss:
don't block.
3rd boss
(graveyard): have him kill at least two of his own summons.
4th boss
(catacombs): don't let his rage bar fill up outside of when it automatically happens with transitions.
5th boss
(Beast): don't get hit by his poison pools.

Interesting. I fought the 5th boss before the 4th.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh shit, huge weapon spoilers!

that hammer I got from breaking the wall early in the catacombs, which ive been using, I just used a coffin and it turned into a better one and the coffin exploded.

Im fucking done apologizing for liking the game, you wanna hate it thats your prerogative, im fucking loving this

everytime I think im done in this fucking catacomb I find a new thing :(

Sanctuary

Interesting. I fought the 5th boss before the 4th.

I don't even know how that's possible since it's a scripted event that happens after you get your
gauntlet adjusted so that it can break barriers, and to do that you have to go through the area the Guardian is and speak with a knight who is there after you've killed it.
Or hell, maybe you don't even need to go through the
barrier, you just have to revisit the field you fought the second boss sometime around the same point?

Are you thinking of the
Infiltrator? That's the big armored bug like thing that I guess drops exploding eggs or something. Beast is the giant with the club.

I don't even know how that's possible since it's a scripted event that happens after you get your
gauntlet adjusted so that it can break barriers, and to do that you have to go through the area the Guardian is and speak with a knight who is there after you've killed it.

Let's make sure I'm remembering right. The 4th boss for me was
the three legged creature that spits out some weird pools and has armored leg
the 5th boss for me was
talll big creature with the blades that runs at you and also catches blades on fire
Am I tracking right?

Which one is the infiltrator in that list then? Are you missing it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys...i want to use runes :(

im finally out of the catacombs, im sure i missed something but I want to move on :)

also I am now a god in the outside area o_O

Sanctuary

Let's make sure I'm remembering right. The 4th boss for me was
the three legged creature that spits out some weird pools and has armored leg
the 5th boss for me was
talll big creature with the blades that runs at you and also catches blades on fire
Am I tracking right?

Which one is the infiltrator in that list then? Are you missing it?

Read the edit of my original post.
Infiltrator is the bug like thing that drops what looks like red exploding eggs or something.

Technically the 5th on the list should be the 6th. And his
poison attacks are obviously poison. They are huge green puddles.

Sanctuary

guys...i want to use runes :(

im finally out of the catacombs, im sure i missed something but I want to move on :)

also I am now a god in the outside area o_O

I did the order the same way you did, and it's actually out of order. After the 3rd boss, if you're going where the game wants you to go, you get the ability to use runes. In the Graveyard, there's another exit
that has a lever (For whatever reason it's already down and unusable. I guess your friends used it?). There's a save point, and Kelso or whatever his name is and that chick standing at the gateway to the demon realm.

Depending on whether or not you're using a decently high STR build and depending on if you get lucky with getting 2x Large Luck runes (4% attribute scaling), you can dish out some stupid damage with
My Axe

Rhaknar

I did the order the same way you did, and it's actually out of order. After the 3rd boss, if you're going where the game wants you to go, you get the ability to use runes. In the Graveyard, there's another exit that has a lever (For whatever reason it's already down and unusable. I guess your friends used it?). There's a save point, and Kelso or whatever his name is and that chick standing at the gateway to the demon realm.

i assume that where the game wanted me to go is that, the portal where they are both standing in front of, which im doing to do now, but i did the catacombs first because...i dunno, fuck it?

im done for tonight, work soon and that 3 hour run in the catacombs took alot out of me lol (in a good way).

Lux R7

finally my copy of the game.
not too much time to play today, i'm right after the second boss.
Pretty solid game, no crashes and a lot of fun by now.

Sanctuary

i assume that where the game wanted me to go is that, the portal where they are both standing in front of, which im doing to do now, but i did the catacombs first because...i dunno, fuck it?

im done for tonight, work soon and that 3 hour run in the catacombs took alot out of me lol (in a good way).

I actually stumbled into the Catacombs earlier, and it seemed like it was a higher area than where I was supposed to be, but I finished it anyway. And yeah, you're supposed to go to the portal.

Can anyone give me a heads up on how far into the game I am. I feel far.
I just got to the part where I can either fight the dual wielder or go a alternate route

Rhaknar

I actually stumbled into the Catacombs earlier, and it seemed like it was a higher area than where I was supposed to be, but I finished it anyway. And yeah, you're supposed to go to the portal.

last question for now, how far into it am I?

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Also, I think I hit a quest bug. Unless you're supposed to end up with more than one
tattoo
, because the quest giver keeps telling me to finish the job, even though the description of the item makes it seem like I already have.

I've had the exact opposite happen. The dude thanked me for killing the men and bringing their tattoos... only for me to find ANOTHER tattoo ten minutes later. LOL.

Also annoying: the woman who kept whining about wanting you to collect the stone slabs. Which I did, I collected a whole bunch of them. Next time I saw her, she forgot all about them, didn't ask for them, and was now focused on something else. Ehr, what?

Virdix

I found out a way to get into that area below the memorial outside the citadel early if anyone cares. You get the legit key right before the last boss.
Use quake on the bush right next to the door with an enemy hiding inside of it. The one when youre heading down to the graveyard. Itll cue a cutscene putting you down in a tomb, you have to shield bash your way out. Eagle Wing shield for life.

Sanctuary

In case you are wondering where the fuck the "laboratory" is (it's related to an optional side quest you get for helping out the very first monk AND giving him a potion that you meet again later on), it's back near the starting areas at the Southern Watchtower. It's the room that has the exit that leads to the front door of the Catacombs.

Doing this side quest (which seems repeatable) increases the healing your Estus Flask does.

Rhaknar

In case you are wondering where the fuck the "laboratory" is (it's related to an optional side quest you get for helping out the very first monk AND giving him a potion that you meet again later on), it's back near the starting areas at the Southern Watchtower. It's the room that has the exit that leads to the front door of the Catacombs.

Doing this side quest (which seems repeatable) increases the healing your Estus Flask does.

i see what you did there :)

ZangBa

I didn't feel like waiting to play the game so I fought the
Annihilator
and tried to fulfill the vague requirement for his special weapon,
but I just got some shitty white quality hammer. I have no idea what you are supposed to do, I killed him during his lightning streak attack hoping it would be it, but it obviously wasn't.

Edit. I used the PS button to close to application and when I loaded it back up it reverted me back to before I killed him. I'm going to experiment with another method.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
yqmZBnV.jpg

Really guys? Big Cat Logan?

last question for now, how far into it am I?

If you like me just recently finished the catacombs, we are from what i've read maybe halfway, if even that. Don't know how true that is, im fearing that they might just give us boss after boss near the end or something. I'm hoping that won't be it!

Hawk269

I have just returned from vacation and apologize if this was answered, but how is the Xbox One version? I understand it is 900p, but how is the frame rate and is there tearing?

Thanks!

Just got the compass, so I spent the last hour backtracking and finding all the hidden shit I missed before. Also found an empty bottle to replace the one I unknowingly gave to that asshole. If I knew it was going to cost me a bottle,
I'd have chopped off his head instead of his arm
. Now tomorrow I can push forward to Boss #3. :D

Zeliard

The archer enemies in this game are anti-fun, and it's compounded by the finicky lock-on system. I like the game for the most part but there's some really rough design at times.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The archer enemies in this game are anti-fun, and it's compounded by the finicky lock-on system. I like the game for the most part but there's some really rough design at times.
Care to elaborate? Is it their positioning? Their placement in the map?

Zeliard

Care to elaborate? Is it their positioning? Their placement in the map?

That and the distance they can spot and shoot at you with deadly speed and accuracy, on top of inflicting various status ailments. You're typically engaged in melee with other enemies at the same time while just being bombarded with arrows coming from off-screen, and depending on the environment it's not immediately obvious where they're coming from.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That and the distance they can spot and shoot at you with deadly speed and accuracy, on top of inflicting various status ailments. You're typically engaged in melee with other enemies at the same time while just being bombarded with arrows coming from off-screen, and depending on the environment it's not immediately obvious where they're coming from.

Doesn't sound fun at all :/ Hate badly designed long-range enemies.

Just got the compass, so I spent the last hour backtracking and finding all the hidden shit I missed before. Also found an empty bottle to replace the one I unknowingly gave to that asshole. If I knew it was going to cost me a bottle,

The price you pay for an achievement

Rhaknar

They go down from like 2 mega buster shots tho

Or 1 3/3 Ram, Ram all you motherfuckers. Love that spell.

Obvious tip: don't max out every spell with xp because you get the spell point potions sometimes

Sanctuary

I found out a way to get into that area below the memorial outside the citadel early if anyone cares. You get the legit key right before the last boss.
Use quake on the bush right next to the door with an enemy hiding inside of it. The one when youre heading down to the graveyard. Itll cue a cutscene putting you down in a tomb, you have to shield bash your way out. Eagle Wing shield for life.

What area exactly are you talking about? In the Memorial area, right next to a save point is the area that leads you
downward towards the Keystone/Graveyard area. As soon as you enter that hallway, there's a Rogue type standing in front of a locked door. Is this what you're talking about? I used Quake, but the bush isn't really "right next to" the door, it's on the other side of the wall to the right of it, and Quake didn't really do anything. Mine is only at rank 1 though?

As posted earlier, you actually get a real reward for helping out that monk (later).

Also, the regular archer enemies in this game are weak as hell. The only "scary" thing they do is immolate you for a bit, but it's not that damaging. Why would you continue to fight melee enemies anyway after the first shot?

With his description, you'd think they were Anor Londo archers or something. They aren't even close.

Rhaknar

does the game "send" you to the catacombs? I assume so...maybe I should have waited :/

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I got the DS reference which is why I posted it. Just seems kind of ham fisted to throw that in there.

Hardly the first Dark Souls reference in the game.

does the game "send" you to the catacombs? I assume so...maybe I should have waited :/

Of course.

Final Boss, though not "Final Boss" spoilers:
Who thought it was a good idea to require lever pulls to take on the boss, but not make them more than obvious. I know of ONE I pulled and had no idea why I was pulling it. Maybe two I pulled: One in the first room with the swirling rocks, one where you can actually see the final boss and next to a portal that leads outside. So I guess I am missing one (if online chatter is to be believed. Ugh.

Nydus

When do you get the quest for it?

Yoshichan

With his description, you'd think they were Anor Londo archers or something. They aren't even close.
That's exactly what I was thinking of :lol

ironcreed

Banned
Is it just me or are some of the regular enemies you come across harder than what you typically find in the Souls series? It is not bad at first, but damn does it ever get dangerous.

Top Bottom