• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.01: [FINAL SEASON PREMIERE] Official Thread Of Last Time We Get One Of These

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
omg rite said:
My most anticipated character moment, without question, is the scene where Sun and Jin finally get to see each other.

Think about it. They haven't had a real scene together since the season 4 finale. They didn't get to see each other for OVER A SEASON.

And other than that, it was what, one short flashback scene last year and the flash-sideways stuff in "LA X"? That's it.
I'm invested in those characters and their relationship as well.

I often take for granted have long it's actually been since they've seen each other. It's crazy that Sun only believes her husband is alive based on third and secondhand accounts.

threenote said:
Also, I didn't make these. I just have a bunch of Lost related stuff saved on my Flikr/Hdd.
ooooooooooooh, i c

threenote

Banned
omg rite said:
My most anticipated character moment, without question, is the scene where Sun and Jin finally get to see each other.

Think about it. They haven't had a real scene together since the season 4 finale. They didn't get to see each other for OVER A SEASON.

And other than that, it was what, one short flashback scene last year and the flash-sideways stuff in "LA X"? That's it.
Jin isn't going to be too happy to see her. She abandoned her daughter.

therewillbebloodbaptism9.jpg

she abandoned her child.

she abandoned her child.

SHE ABANDONED HER CHILD.

Momo

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
CAN IT!
http://www.appetitefordeconstruction.com/lost12_bram.jpg[IMG]

Illana is the only character I've been spoiled on this season. Once you know, you're like "whoa" but then you're like "welll....what do I do with this information." Not exactly relevant to the current storyline as it's playing out right now.[/QUOTE]
Would you please PM me the spoiler or link? :x

DoomGyver

I'm counting on Sun to ask her husband if he knows where he is just so she can say that she has asked everyone on the damn island.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Her abandoning Ji-yeon like that made no sense at all.

threenote

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
How is she worse than Shannon or Kate?

I like Rose, but mainly because she looks and sounds like my grandma lol

See, Shannon is dead.

Kate is sexy as hell, and she's on a mission to bring Claire back to her mum--for Aaron's sake. That was a selfless act, and it made me respect Kate's character.

How can anyone say that characters like Sun are useless when we haven't even finished the story yet :lol

She may not be super interesting to some, but the last thing I'd call her is "useless." She's one of the (granted several) main characters who obviously has a pretty large role (Jacob touched her!) so I wouldn't be so quick to write off anyone at this point. Just sayin'

suaveric

I think considering the very next episode's title as a spoiler is going a bit too far. Are we allowed to openly speculate about what the title means or do we have to spoiler tag that kind of discussion? I think talking about what the next episode could be about based on only its title and what we already know from previous episodes should be allowed without spoiler tags.

Or is this going to be the policy of the Lost threads for this whole season?

(I haven't read this entire thread, I'm just basing this on the fact that the season premiere's title was considered a spoiler)

suaveric said:
I think considering the very next episode's title as a spoiler is going a bit too far. Are we allowed to openly speculate about what the title means or do we have to spoiler tag that kind of discussion? I think talking about what the next episode could be about based on only its title and what we already know from previous episodes should be allowed without spoiler tags.

(I haven't read this entire thread, I'm just basing this on the fact that the season premiere's title was considered a spoiler)

If it hasnt aired, it's a spoiler.

You can discuss it, but tag it and label what the discussion is about. Better yet, take it to the spoiler thread.

Previews, commercials, guest stars, episode titles etc are all spoilers.

Also, all this talk of nikki and paolo has me rewatching their episode. I love it. I hope they make an epic comeback.

Catalix

suaveric said:

I don't think BB is going to be spoiler tagging the titles for the current week's episodes. So it might be better to discuss such things when that thread goes up.

Which is sometime Monday.

Catalix

If the title's not particularly spoilery on its own, I don't see it being a problem.

Nameless

Catalix said:
Her abandoning Ji-yeon like that made no sense at all.

I mean, it sort of did. You find out the love of your life is still alive, would you not do anything? Part of her reasoning is probably to find Jin so that he might one day get the chance to meet his daughter.

Funny to see Castaway mentioned, I fall in the camp that originally watched Lost because I enjoyed Castaway so much. Figured the premise of a group of people getting stranded on an Island would be pretty cool, but in no way expected the mystery element. Pilot took my expectations and fucked them like a 3 dollar whore...what the fuck was I watching and why was it so amazing? The rest is history.

Closing in on 7000 post. Lost>Super Bowl

threenote said:
Kate is sexy as hell, and she's on a mission to bring Claire back to her mum--for Aaron's sake. That was a selfless act, and it made me respect Kate's character.
I don't see how that's any different than Sun trying to find the love of her life and the father or their child.

And Kate left Aaron with someone she's known for possibly five minutes and who Aaron's never even really met. Granted it's his biological grandmother, but Kate has no idea if she's fit to watch him. Claire wasn't even on good terms with her.

Sun left Ji Yeon with her mother who we've seen has helped her raise the child in order to reunite their family. I don't see that as abandonment at all.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Catalix said:
If the title's not particularly spoilery on its own, I don't see it being a problem.

Well I didn't think "LA X" could be considered spoilery either. I mean Darlton wanted people to know it. That's why they put the space in, so fans would try and figure out what it meant.

Next week's is a "spoiler" in that it tells you who the flash-sideways character is, but that would be like saying "Everybody Hates Hugo" is a spoiler.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why are people saying Sun abandoned her daughter?

She left her at home with her mother, who has helped raise her, so she could find and kill Ben.

When she was going to kill him, she learned Jin could still be alive and decided to go back with everyone else to find him her herself and her daughter.

Why the hell would she take her daughter with her? 1. She'd be in the way. 2. She's protecting her. 3. Every other child has had many problems on the island. Like, for example, getting kidnapped. 4. Her daughter could die in the plane crash.

DeathNote said:
Why are people saying Sun abandoned her daughter?

She left her at home with her mother so she could find and kill Ben.

When she was going to kill him, she learned Jin could still be alive and decided to go back with everyone else to find him her herself and her daughter.

Why the hell would she take her daughter with her? 1. She'd be in the way. 2. She's protecting her. 3. Every other child has had many problems on the island. Like, for example, getting kidnapped.
This. Sun wasn't carting Ji Yeon around like Kate was with Aaron, putting him in dangerous situations.

Catalix

Nameless said:
I mean, it sort of did. You find out the love of your life is still alive, would you not do anything? Part of her reasoning is probably to find Jin so that he might one day get the chance to meet his daughter.
Believe me, I get that part. But the way she went about it was so reckless. Hopping on flight 316, never looking back.

Sun has the power and resources of someone on the level of Penny Widmore. She had much more logical options at her disposal. Instead, she boarded an airplane hoping to crash on a mystical, nearly inescapable Island again. How did she seriously think this scenario was gonna play out? What about rescue? Having her go along with everything so quickly was extremely contrived imo.

Catalix said:
Believe me, I get that part. But the way she went about it was so reckless. Hopping on flight 316, never looking back.

Sun has the power and resources of someone on the level of Penny Widmore. She had much more logical options at her disposal. Instead, she boarded an airplane hoping to crash on a mystical, nearly inescapable Island again. How did she seriously think this scenario was gonna play out? What about rescue? Having her go along with everything so quickly was extremely contrived imo.
You could say that about anyone that decided to go back though. (Except for the resources.)

She saw the chance that Jin was alive, and she took it. She has just as much of a good reason, if not better than some people to go back. She's doing it for love, which is the crux of her character's development.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Catalix said:

did you miss the whole them leaving fucked shit up and they had to go back together to fix it part of the storyline?

her not going on the plane would have made things worse than what happened after they went back.

so, her choosing to go helps her husband, her, everyone else, her daughter.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
in addition to my previous post....

none of characters that returned knew or discussed how they are going to get off again. so, don't use this issue for all of the characters to bash only Sun. really dumb thing to do.

Catalix

Gunloc said:
You could say that about anyone that decided to go back though. (Except for the resources.)

She saw the chance that Jin was alive, and she took it. She has just as much of a good reason, if not better than some people to go back. She's doing it for love, which is the crux of her character's development.
The others don't have children of their own to worry about. She could've easily orphaned that poor kid. Still can actually.

DeathNote said:
did you miss the whole them leaving fucked shit up and they had to go back together to fix it part of the storyline?

her not going on the plane would have made things worse than what happened after they went back.

so, her choosing to go helps her husband, her, everyone else, her daughter.
Uh, how the hell would Sun know any of that for a fact? She's taking a GIGANTIC leap of faith that any of these yahoos knew what the fuck they were actually talking about. And she accepted it so readily with little to know hesitation, putting herself in a highly deadly situation... with her baby girl back in Korea. It's ridiculous.

And yes, she did abandon her. I love Sun, but don't sugar coat it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Catalix said:
The others don't have children of their own to worry about. She could've easily orphaned that poor kid. Still can actually.

Uh, how the hell would Sun know any of that for a fact?
She's taking a GIGANTIC leap of faith that any of these yahoos knew what the fuck they were actually talking about. And she accepted it so readily with little to know hesitation, putting herself in a highly deadly situation... with her baby girl back in Korea. It's ridiculous.

don't use an issue for all of the characters to insult just one you moron.

NONE OF THEM KNOW FOR SURE THEY WILL GET BACK
NONE OF THEM KNOW HOW THEY ARE GETTING OFF AGAIN.

they all realized they needed to go back to fixed their problems and the problems of the people they left behind. she needed to go back to help her husband. it's illogical to bring her daughter with her.

Catalix

None of them had people who depended on their care back in the "real world". They could afford to take these kind of risks.

and why are you yelling?

Catalix

DeathNote said:
they all realized they needed to go back to fixed their problems and the problems of the people they left behind. she needed to go back to help her husband. it's illogical to bring her daughter with her.
Who said anything about bringing Ji-Yeon? :lol

threenote

Banned
DeathNote said:

4334904377_a1324e79cb_o.jpg

Firestorm

Catalix said:
Yeah, because people respond logically when they find out that their spouse isn't actually dead after 3 years of mourning =p

Catalix said:

Uh, how the hell would Sun know any of that for a fact? She's taking a GIGANTIC leap of faith that any of these yahoos knew what the fuck they were actually talking about. And she accepted it so readily with little to know hesitation, putting herself in a highly deadly situation... with her baby girl back in Korea. It's ridiculous.

Almost all of the returnees left family and loved ones behind. They all took the same risk, I don't see how she is any more reckless than anyone else.

Jack was flying back and forth for years, hoping to crash. Was he thinking of his mom? Kate constantly put Aaron in dangerous situations. Sayid was trying to block out his pain with constant killing. All of these people were doing reckless or crazy things.

Sun at least kept her stuff together and methodically executed her plan. The only time she lost it was when she pulled the gun on Ben. If anything, out of everyone returning, she is the most rational.

And it's not like she left Ji Yeon is some orphanage, or with someone she hardly knows. Her intention is to return to her with Jin and have her life back. This is not going to happen by just sitting on the side lines, waiting for someone else to do it for her.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DeathNote said:

Jesus, relax. :lol

Thermite

Gunloc said:
Almost all of the returnees left family and loved ones behind. They all took the same risk, I don't see how she is any more reckless than anyone else.

Jack was flying back and forth for years, hoping to crash. Was he thinking of his mom? Kate constantly put Aaron in dangerous situations. Sayid was trying to block out his pain with constant killing. All of these people were doing reckless or crazy things.

Sun at least kept her stuff together and methodically executed her plan. The only time she lost it was when she pulled the gun on Ben. If anything, out of everyone returning, she is the most rational.

Which is saying a lot, considering she lost her husband and thought he was dead for 3 years.

Catalix

Firestorm said:
Yeah, because people respond logically when they find out that their spouse isn't actually dead after 3 years of mourning =p
Allegedly :p

And remember, she first got her intel from Ben of all people.

Gunloc said:

That's my point, they all acted like they had nothing to lose, because they essentially didn't. And I don't think Jack thought much about his mom when he was getting ready to jump off that bridge. Concern for immediate family wasn't an issue for these people, except Sun.

I agree, Sun was definitely the most rational of the bunch... until those last couple of days. She didn't think about how her daughter could easily lose both of her parents.

My problem is that she treated going back to the Island, a very deadly situation, so casually. Just felt rushed imo.

Some of those pictures remind me: I need to get laid. FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Also Yunjin Kim needs to eat something. I'm down with the thin girls but c'mon.

Catalix

And did you guys miss the part where I said Sun is my second favorite female character (after Juliet). I'm not a hater by any means.

I just don't think her motivation for putting herself in that kind of danger, so readily, was all that convincing.

Catalix said:
And did you guys miss the part where I said Sun is my second favorite female character (after Juliet). I'm not a hater by any means.

I just don't think her motivation for putting herself in that kind of danger, so readily, was all that convincing.
I get that. It is good to see someone able to discuss their perceived flaws of a character despite them being a fan.

Catalix said:
That's my point, they all acted like they had nothing to lose, because they essentially didn't. And I don't think Jack thought much about his mom when he was getting ready to jump off that bridge. Concern for immediate family wasn't an issue for these people, except Sun.

I agree, Sun was definitely the most rational of the bunch... until those last couple of days. She didn't think about how her daughter could easily lose both of her parents.

My problem is that she treated going back to the Island, a very deadly situation, so casually. Just felt rushed imo.
Whether or not Jack & Co. cared or not if their actions affected their families and loved ones, they do. They do have something to lose, whether the realize it or not.

And while I'm sure Sun would have loved to take a week and think things over, she hardly had the opportunity. Here's Ben with Jin's wedding band and an opportunity to go back that must be acted on immediately. She goes to the Lamp Post Station and gets all the info she can (which many of the others didn't even do) and she decides to take the risk.

She even put aside her hate for Ben to have the opportunity to reunite her family. Yes, it's risky, but what other legitimate option does she have? Try to find the island solo which Penny has tried to do for years? Wait for someone else to bring Jin back to her and just hope everything goes well?

She is taking the option she has the most control over and is going to try to find Jin herself, and I don't blame her for that one bit.

And now, I must sleep.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Catalix said:
None of them had people who depended on their care back in the "real world". They could afford to take these kind of risks.

and why are you yelling?
Ok, let's talk about the children for a minute.

She doesn't depend solely on Sun. She has been with family that she has known all her life. The only thing that has changed is her mom being gone for a while. Many many children have a parent leaving for a few months or longer. It sucks, but you can manage.

Aaron? He was completely uprooted. He's probably crying every night wondering why he's with someone random woman who is supposedly his grandmother.It's going to take a mental toll on the child.

After Kate almost lost Aaron in the grocery store, something every parent has done at least once, she "doubted her decision to take care of him." Then Kate told Jack to "never talk about or mention Aaron's name". That's really messed up for someone you supposedly love and has been your adopted child for 3 years.

Claire still being alive is a lot less certain than Jin. If anyone has abandoned a child, it was Kate.

They all know the lamp post exists, the only way to locate the island. They all know people have left and gone to the island many times in various ways.

Catalix

Gunloc said:
I get that. It is good to see someone able to discuss their perceived flaws of a character despite them being a fan.

Whether or not Jack & Co. cared or not if their actions affected their families and loved ones, they do. They do have something to lose, whether the realize it or not.

And while I'm sure Sun would have loved to take a week and think things over, she hardly had the opportunity. Here's Ben with Jin's wedding band and an opportunity to go back that must be acted on immediately. She goes to the Lamp Post Station and gets all the info she can (which many of the others didn't even do) and she decides to take the risk.

She even put aside her hate for Ben to have the opportunity to reunite her family. Yes, it's risky, but what other legitimate option does she have? Try to find the island solo which Penny has tried to do for years? Wait for someone else to bring Jin back to her and just hope everything goes well?

She is taking the option she has the most control over and is going to try to find Jin herself, and I don't blame her for that one bit.

And now, I must sleep.
That's the best way to rationalize it, I think. She wouldn't be content sitting on the sidelines, wondering if Jackface and crew were gonna botch up this rescue mission; wondering if whether they were invested enough in her husband's well-being. And if her husband truly were alive, she'd want to see it with her own eyes.

And since the rest of the O6 were hopping on the bandwagon in the Lamppost, I guess it started to feel "right" for her. She just had to take that chance, for better or worse.

But really... can I just get one scene of her being really torn up about having to leave her daughter though. A little motherly remorse, lady, that's all I ask :lol

DeathNote said:
Ok, let's talk about the children for a minute.

She doesn't depend solely on Sun. She has been with family that she has known all her life. The only thing that has changed is her mom being gone for a while. Many many children have a parent leaving for a few months or longer. It sucks, but you can manage.

Aaron? He was completely uprooted. He's probably crying every night wondering why he's with someone random woman who is supposedly his grandmother.It's going to take a mental toll on the child.

After Kate almost lost Aaron in the grocery store, something every parent has done at least once, she "doubted her decision to take care of him." Then Kate told Jack to "never talk about or mention Aaron's name". That's really messed up for someone you supposedly love and has been your adopted child for 3 years.

Claire still being alive is a lot less certain than Jin. If anyone has abandoned a child, it was Kate.

They all know the lamp post exists, the only way to locate the island. They all know people have left and gone to the island many times in various ways.
This wasn't an extended vacation or a business trip. She's willingly diving headfirst into a potentially horrific plane crash, with the very real possibity of dying or not being able to escape the Island. All this based on flimsy intel and hearsay. She weighed her options and took a chance, but I didn't see her too conflicted about the consequences. Which was my beef.

Abandoning Ji-Yeon with immediate family doesn't absolve her of responsibility either. If I left my kid with my mom, knowing full-well that I might not ever be coming back, I'd be a little more torn up about it. Probably be called an irresponsible parent too.

The Aaron/Kate situation is messed up, either way you look at it. You'll get no real argument from me there. But I don't think she could live with the guilt anymore and decided to cut her losses. It was only going to get worse. But at least she finally copped to her original misguided actions and realized she had a slim chance to make it right.

These poor kids. If Jin and Sun get stuck on the Island forever, Ji-Yeon's gonna grow up with serious abandonment issues. Just like Aaron :lol

Solo

EliCash said:
Does the fact that some shows aren't HD actually put people off? I enjoy Blu-Ray and buy Blu-Ray when I have the money, but I still watch Twin Peaks on VHS :lol

Yes, its a sticking point for me. I havent bought a DVD in 2+ years, and will never buy another one.

Catalix said:
Yep. Cindy too. goddam.

Cindy is the most underrated babe on the show.

omg rite said:
We're not going to keep episode titles out of the thread names after this week, are we?

No. Especially since Ive written it without tags like 3 times already. Esisode titles should only be hidden when they sound especially spoilery. Ep. 3 is not one of those.

WHAT KATE DOES

Whoops, 4 times.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
none of the babes on LOST compete with the wholesome goodness of julie taylor. but she's had the ping-pong talk, so she knows my scheming ways.

gdt

Mmmmmm Julie Taylor mmmmm.

Mmmmmm What Kate Does mmmmm.

Edit: Beezle nooooooooooo! Why have you quit the Jack avatar squad?!? THERE ARE ENEMIES AT THE GATE.

gdt

Jin staying in Hawaii...

AICN said:
Daniel Dae Kim, who’s already spent nearly six years in Hawaii shooting “Lost,” will be there at least a little longer.

The actor, familiar also to fans of “Angel” and “24,” will step into the sizeable shoes of Kam Fong to play Chin Ho Kelley in the pilot for CBS’ remake of “Hawaii Five-0.”

The remake is overseen by writer-producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who collaborated with “Lost” co-creator J.J. Abrams on “Alias” “Fringe” and last year’s “Star Trek” movie.

Alex O’Loughlin, star of CBS’ one-season wonders “Moonlight” and “Three Rivers,” is reportedly being sought to play Steve McGarrett, head of Hawaii’s fictional Five-0 state police agency.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/43915

I probably won't be watching (I generally hate procedurals), but good for him. Lets see where the rest of this strong cast ends up (aside from Fox and Lilly, who're both saying they're quitting acting). I think they'll be fine.

Edit: Fox is saying he'll take a break, and doing movies. No more TV.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Full Recovery said:
The most useless would be Rose and Bernard. Sun is in 3rd place on the useless and annoying scale.
Rose and Bernard are useless by design. Fools, all of you!

Yea, I think DDK is gonna blow people's minds when they hear his real English voice on this new show.

I read an interesting speculative theory about the final outcome of Lost on the Eye M Sick blog. Not spoilers, just end-game speculation from someone who's been very accurate with predictions in the past.

Aaron and Ji-Yeong will be the next Adam and Eve to live on the island and will be married in 2030, before the Valenzetti Equation can take effect in 2031. (2004 + 27 years till destruction = 2031)

Solo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea, I think DDK is gonna blow people's minds when they hear his real English voice on this new show.

Its CBS. No one will know he was on LOST. The target demo is old farts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom