• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Neo Geo Prototype Found, Revealed & Released

djkNBGY.png

I bought this board back in March last year. It was the first time I have come across a Dev board for sale that actually had the flash cards included. Looking at the auction I knew I could at least dump the 2 eproms that were on the board and I was immediately worried about the 2 Adtek SRAM cards. If this board was from the 90s, there was a high likelyhood that the batteries were dead (but more on that later). The Panasonic cards are Linear Flash and I was pretty confident that the data would be in tact if I could figure out how to dump them.
There are 12 characters, though several are still very rougly drawn or unshaded. Some dont have hitboxes and some are missing frames of animation. The ones who are complete and very nice. It looks like it would have been a very interesting fighting game. Each character looks to have 3 classes:

Chaotic
Neutral
Lawful

And depending on what class you pick your character's speed, stance, special moves, and special bar change. Even the character's win screen sprite changes depending on the class. Two characters have animal companions who can be used in attacks. The bosses are not selectable, but I managed to get their win poses a few times and (kind of) pulled out their sprites while I was messing with the C roms. I'm sure someone will be able to get good rips of them, that's just beyond my knowledge.
Link

A really interesting looking fighting game with a cool cast of characters. Neutral/Law/Chaos is a neat idea for the different types of playstyles/schisms.

Thanks Pepsiman on Twitter!

Holy crap. Is there anything that gives any informaiton on the potental developers or when the prototype was made? It looks like a DnD based fighting game, which also reminds me of Sam Sho's Slash/Burst mode resulting in alternate versions of characters.

That's amazing, I wonder what other lost treasures SNK have in their vaults...or if it's all just lost by this point after so many mergers, acquisitions and changes of direction.

mollipen

Saw Jeremy Parish mention this on Twitter. As a longtime Neo fan, this is so crazy and exciting. Can't wait until I get the chance to try it out.

Glowsquid

That's amazing, I wonder what other lost treasures SNK have in their vaults

Fun fax: The Virtual Console and Humble Bundle releases of Ironclad/ Brikin'ger are not the original Neo Geo CD version, but rather an unreleased cartridge prototype nobody had access to until SNK released it on the VC.

I love that concept of the alignment being a determiner for movesets and the actual "type" of character. MKX does this with the variations, and you can play SFV characters in different formats, but this goes far and beyond.

These are people doin' the Lawd's Work here.

I love that concept of the alignment being a determiner for movesets and the actual "type" of character. MKX does this with the variations, and you can play SFV characters in different formats, but this goes far and beyond.

CHIVALRY OR TREACHERY!

Their thread title says released, but I don't see a binary anywhere. I'd love to look through it myself, and I imagine some people would find some pretty neat stuff hidden in there.

xzeldax3

I always imagined a Shin Megami Tensei fighting game that would have characters spanning the series and sorting fighters by Law, Chaos, and Neutral. So this looks pretty awesome.

P4 Arena basically made that dream come true though, even if it only covers Persona stuff.

So based on the colors and relative detail of the sprites I feel this is a late 90's early 2000's release? I could be way off. Then again Waku Waku 7 was mid 90's.

I wish stuff like that was on the Wii Virtual Console. The US selection is limited because only US home releases were used, Waku Waku 7 didn't have a home release in America but did in Japan so Japan got it on their VC.

Also since SNK went basically in chronological order to release all their games Sengoku 3/2001 was the most recent game other than Metal Slug 4, Sengoku 3 was released in 2013 on VC. So you don't have stuff like Rage of the Dragons or Matrimelee.

In fact these sprites resemble those of Noise Factory developers of those late Neo Geo games. Wonder if they're behind it?

KOF stopped at '99 and Fatal Fury stopped at Real Bout Fatal Fury 2. At least Last Blade 2 was released.

There's something really nice about a roster that stays around 20 and below.

Wonder who developed this?

I always imagined a Shin Megami Tensei fighting game that would have characters spanning the series and sorting fighters by Law, Chaos, and Neutral. So this looks pretty awesome.

P4 Arena basically made that dream come true though, even if it only covers Persona stuff.

Persona Arena doesn't have Law, Chaos or Neutral, though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The art style reminds of Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer which was hella wesome

cuilan

(Sorry, not nuch to add to this except perhaps that I'd really wish someone would finish this game so that we can play the full thing.)

Unfortunately, it seems like the game is much too incomplete for anyone to finish it, especially now with Technos long gone.

Seishin

Wow, this looks really cool.

I hope some information is uncovered regarding it - though it may take quite a bit of digging around.

Kinda sad that they got so far into development and the game never got finished though...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-mysterious-neo-geo-prototype-hits-the-web

More info. photos, and videos of it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQg5N9cw1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etFKR0BXO-U

In the short term, we can likely expect the mystery of the game's identity to resolve itself. While the ROM's finders were unable to find any similar-looking games previewed in Neo-Geo-specific magazines, several people have speculated the game might have been Technos' Death Match. According to @ChristopherRasa on Twitter and the Neo Geo master list, Death Match was rumored in about 1994 and may have been set aside until after Technos completed Double Dragon and Gowcaiser in 1995. A second possibility, given the Gowcaiser label on the ROM, is that this could be the skeleton of Technos' other rumored/incomplete title, a presumed Gowcaiser follow-up called High Voltage 12+1.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
You would've expect for every prototype to be unearthed in the Internet age, but there we are. Another prototype popped up.
I'm glad there are still this stuff to discover.
I'll give it a try!

leroidys

when they gonna leak Garou 2 tho?

I realllllllllllly wish they had made a Garou 2 circa 2000. That game had such a great core but just wasn't quite developed enough IMHO. I can't even imagine how often a 'third strike' iteration of Garou would have been.

Pouh

Technical bits from Razoola :

« – This proto is 100% based on voltage fighter.
The game init code routines are identical.
Its possible to get an almost identical DEV mode to trigger in voltage fighter. On spinning neogeo logo enter unibios ingame menu and set debug dip 2-8, exit ingame menu. DEV mode menu will appear once spinning logo has completed.
– There appears to be no Attract mode coded but I cannot confirm this 100% yet. I need to look more before I can confirm that with certainty.
– There appears to be no Title page coded but I cannot confirm this 100% yet. I need to look more before I can confirm that with certainty.
– DEV MODE is hard coded to trigger on attract mode start but can be NOP’d out, three NOPS from address 0x6B6C to remove the JMP opcode there.

Once NOP’d out game will boot with no DEV mode and instantly goto a blank screen with just ’00’ displayed (titlepage with incorrect timer due to no credit). Once you insert a coin this will count down from 30. If you press start you get to the character select screen. Crediting for 1 or 2 player game seems correctly supported.
There appears to be no AI and thus I’m not sure if game over is correctly supported, there appears to be no level end timer.
I think I would be right in saying there is a game in the very early stages of development. It seems to be using the Voltage Fighter game engine.

—
What you have seems so much in the initial stages of development that its possible there was no M1 ROM created yet. This has got to be the rarest of the rare prototypes. So early it was not even assigned a NGH number. Got to be the find of the century.
—
In my view this proto is so early in development (post voltage fighter or near completion) that it was not ready for submission to SNK to have a number assigned. You could almost say its possible the artists had finished voltage fighter and started drawing more characters for a new fighter (they had a story line outlined) while the programmers tidied up voltage fighter and removed the final bugs. The bosses probably did not want them in the office twiddling their thumbs. »

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I love these kinds of finds... watched some of the videos on USGamer and the sprite effects for the backgrounds were lovely (especially the lens flare and the cloud scrolling).

Top Bottom