• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of new Smash Bros. Brawl Information from Famitsu

bigmakstudios said:
I still don't understand why they used Squirtle instead of Blastoise. Blastoise is the best of the 3 fully evolved starter Pokemon from Red/Blue imo... *sigh* so many great memories with Blastoise... :(
>_>

Because Charizard's the most popular among Blastoise and Venusaur and itself.

Jiggy

As much as I love Ivysaur and am ecstatic to see him in the game--one of the few characters that pulls me in with nostalgia value that (unlike Jigglypuff) wasn't created by Smash Bros. itself--I wouldn't have been opposed if they'd decided on Mudkip/Bayleef/Charizard or Totodile/Grovyle/Charizard for Pokemon Trainer's selection. But just in terms of raw popularity, they made the right choices.

Axalon

Jiggy37 said:
As much as I love Ivysaur and am ecstatic to see him in the game--one of the few characters that pulls me in with nostalgia value that (unlike Jigglypuff) wasn't created by Smash Bros. itself--I wouldn't have been opposed if they'd decided on Mudkip/Bayleef/Charizard or Totodile/Grovyle/Charizard for Pokemon Trainer's selection. But just in terms of raw popularity, they made the right choices.
Do you know what would happen to the internet with playable Mudkips?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
I still don't understand why they used Squirtle instead of Blastoise. Blastoise is the best of the 3 fully evolved starter Pokemon from Red/Blue imo... *sigh* so many great memories with Blastoise... :(
>_>
Venusaur was by far the best statistically.

MoxManiac

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'd rather it have been

Mario
Pikachu
Link
Kirby
Samus
Wario
Meta Knight
Pit

(realistically:)

Mario
Pikachu
Link
Kirby
Samus
Wario
Meta Knight
Pit
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Fox McCloud
Lucas
Pokémon Trainer
Ice Climbers

I know, lack of Peach, Zelda, Bowser, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Ike, but wouldn't it be awesome to unlock Bowser and Dedede by "finally" beating them through the SSE? And with Peach and Zelda, unlock them by rescuing one or the other?

No Ike is a fail of epic proportions

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Axalon said:
Do you know what would happen to the internet with playable Mudkips?

4chan would have reached critical mass and achieved a Big Bang-like effect. Our universe would have been swept away and all that would have been left are random cat pictures, internet memes, and Rule 34 pictures floating adrift in the endless void. Eventually these displaced particles would begin to coagulate and form celestial entities and the cycle of the universe would continue ever onwards.

Wait, what?

Duderz

Banned
Halycon said:
How is Sheik nerfed at all? Her Up Smash is still ludicrously powerful. Her down smashes and side smashes were never that strong. It's not like you use her Up B for anything other than recovery. So long as she can maintain her combos, forward a air is enough as far as finishers go.

I misread the info they gave us. As long as Sheik keeps her speed (which it seems she is) she'll be fine.

RagnarokX

jrricky said:
What the hell is wrong with you people? HE HAS AN ASSIST CHARACTER (GOROH) FROM HIS UNIVERSE, THAT ALONE PROVES THAT HE IS PLAYABLE............

Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment) is an assist trophy. Does that mean S&P has a playable character?

Better yet, Mr. Resetti is an assist trophy and there's an Animal Crossing stage. Does that mean an AC character is playable?

Iam Canadian

Chris Michael said:
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment) is an assist trophy. Does that mean S&P has a playable character?

Better yet, Mr. Resetti is an assist trophy and there's an Animal Crossing stage. Does that mean an AC character is playable?

*Sigh* You will notice that Samurai Goroh has an F-Zero icon for his update on the Dojo. This indicates that he is part of a franchise that has other representation in Brawl. A.Ts like Saki and Devil, A.Ts that are not from a franchise otherwise represented in Brawl, do not have their own unique icons; they use the normal Smash icon.

Further, not only is the F-Zero icon Captain Falcon's symbol, but Falcon was a character in the previous two games and Sakurai is on record stating that Falcon was his favourite character in Melee. I think that's evidence enough.

As for Animal Crossing, it's a special case. It has a stage, which justifies an icon, but no character.

Jiggy

Chris Michael said:
If Airan or Achi was an assist trophy, Sin and Punishment had an icon, the icon was Saki's face, Saki had been in both the N64 game and Melee, and Sakurai said that Saki was his favorite from Melee, then yes, I'm pretty sure people would assume Sin and Punishment had a playable character and Saki was that character.

Edit: The N64 game predating S&P doesn't matter for the purpose of this argument since Melee predated FE6 and yet Roy was in.

Chris Michael said:

Giving a series icon for the F-Zero series if there's no playable rep would be dumb.

And might I add that there was no chance that Sakurai would drop the only playable character in a franchise, and has not done so for any franchise as far as we can see.

And if an AC character isn't playable, I'd be sad. We need an Animal Crosser as playable. Although I could see him arguing that AC is about character-created content, so there'd be no good rep.

Agggggh I must know if Ganondorf is in it! >_< Pleeeeeease be in it!

And yeah I have little doubts Cpt. Falcon is in the game - he must be.

(but I am starting to wonder where he is a little).

Conrad Link said:
Agggggh I must know if Ganondorf is in it! >_< Pleeeeeease be in it!

And yeah I have little doubts Cpt. Falcon is in the game - he must be.

(but I am starting to wonder where he is a little).

I think we're all wondering where he is. I'm mostly certain, and I only add mostly to say I have a less than 1% speck of doubt, that Captain Falcon will be gracing our faces with his knee of great justice. I am really looking forward to seeing him.

GaimeGuy said:
Because they wanted to use a stage 1, stage 2, and stage 3 evolution of the red/blue/green starters, and charizard is by FAR the most popular.

flip a coin between Ivysaur and Squirtle or Warturtle and bulbasaur.

Personally I would have prefered this but whatever.

Jiggy37 said:
He was Sakurai's favorite Melee character. I think it's safe to assume.

Then he's saving the best for last. Falcon will descend upon the internets in all of his awesome glory just before release.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
flip a coin between Ivysaur and Squirtle or Warturtle and bulbasaur.
Well.. It might have something to do with the fact Ivysaur looks more like Bulbasaur than Squirtle looks like Warturtle.
Even for someone who had never played pokemon or played it a long time ago would realize quickly who Ivysaur is, he might have some issues with Warturtle however (
It might take him TEN seconds to realize it
).

I'm really pleased with the PT's Pokemon, to be honest, I thought Ivysaur was the only 2nd stage starter that didn't absolutely suck design wise. Any of the first stages and last stages are fine, but it was obvious Charizard would be picked.

Firestorm

It was obvious Charizard would be picked but... Charmander :(
I agree Ivysaur was the only 2nd evo that didn't look horrible. Squirtle is a good runner up to Charmander aka best Pokemon ever.

I want to make a Bellymander now.

VeritasVierge, the problem with Meta Knight I'm seeing is that although he can rack up damage quickly, killing seems to be an issue. He probably needs to throw an item or do a final smash to get enough knockback to KO...

Firestorm said:
It was obvious Charizard would be picked but... Charmander :(
I agree Ivysaur was the only 2nd evo that didn't look horrible. Squirtle is a good runner up to Charmander aka best Pokemon ever.

Ahem. #001 for a reason, yo.

5wxnhz.jpg

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
VeritasVierge, the problem with Meta Knight I'm seeing is that although he can rack up damage quickly, killing seems to be an issue. He probably needs to throw an item or do a final smash to get enough knockback to KO...

Obviously, this is something we're not going to know for sure until release, but Meta Knight doesn't look too bad in the KO'ing department. According to the Famitsu stats, his smashes can KO at a lower percent than Samus and I've never had a problem KO'ing with Samus in Melee. Obviously, Meta Knight won't be the best character for dealing the finishing blow (it looks like he got the mantle of "quick but weak character" instead of Sonic), but I think he'll be able to hold his own.

It's too bad he's not playable in that Japanese in-store demo now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The degree at which Charged Shot and Giant Punch were nerfed is terrible...there was no need for it and it basically makes them worthless. Moves that need to be charged should have enough KO power behind them to compensate.

Teasel said:
isn't that because bulbasaur is the first starter in alphabetical order?

Then why is squirtle 4 and charmander is 7? They're in that order because of the difficulty. It's so sad that I know this...anyway, if it's in alphabetical order then why isn't Aaron Aaronsonmonchan number 1?

Leezard

funkmastergeneral said:
they should make a pokemon fighting game like SSBB but with all 451 pokemon (I think there's that many now...)
486 IIRC, if you include all impossible to get legendaries.
That is too many characters to make a good, balanced game for. I'd say 50 chars tops, if they want to keep it relatively balanced and have unique characters.

Leezard

HK-47 said:
First 3 I'd say...Bulbasaur has it easy early
By the time you get to the third gym you should have several viable alternatives for your starter against Lt. Surge. That said, Bulbasaur does have it easy, especially against the two first gyms.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Leezard said:
By the time you get to the third gym you should have several viable alternatives for your starter against Lt. Surge.

I'm just talking starter...some casual friends I have always just use their main

Firestorm

HK-47 said:
First 3 I'd say...Bulbasaur has it easy early

You can beat Brock with Ember.

Bulbasaur is #1 because he's a wuss and would have his feelings hurt otherwise. Charmander was the better man and let Bulbasaur take #1.

Iam Canadian

Even by the time you get to Misty, your starter doesn't really matter. A Pikachu will do better against Misty than any of the starters.

Firestorm said:
You can beat Brock with Ember.

I never bothered. I almost always took Charmander, but I would just get a Butterfree and Confusion Brock's Pokemon to death. I figured it was easier than trying to Ember them.

Leezard

HK-47 said:
I'm just talking starter...some casual friends I have always just use their main
Yeah... But by the time you get to Lt. Surge, especially if you only use your starter, it should be strong enough to beat him easily no matter which pokemon you chose.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
Even by the time you get to Misty, your starter doesn't really matter. A Pikachu will do better against Misty than any of the starters.

I never bothered. I almost always took Charmander, but I would just get a Butterfree and Confusion Brock's Pokemon to death. I figured it was easier than trying to Ember them.

Butterfree and Charmander? Good man.

Iam Canadian

Leezard said:
Yeah... But by the time you get to Lt. Surge, especially if you only use your starter, it should be strong enough to beat him easily no matter which pokemon you chose.

Maybe, but I still wouldn't have the guts to send out a Squirtle/Wartortle against Surge.

BabaORiely said:
Then why is squirtle 4 and charmander is 7? They're in that order because of the difficulty. It's so sad that I know this...anyway, if it's in alphabetical order then why isn't Aaron Aaronsonmonchan number 1?
Charmander is #004, and Squirtle is #007. Alphabetical order had nothing to do with it either way because they had Japanese names first.

Top Bottom