• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: Ubisoft Developing Rabbids & Mario Crossover RPG For Switch Launch Day

Which Western Publisher x Nintendo collaboration are you most looking forward to?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What in the world...that's not Nintendos problem. Now you're complaining about too many games?

First it's "all these games are ports ports ports". Now new games are being rumored and it's "omg but I'm playing an RPG (btw Color Splash isn't) and they have another one coming out 5 months later!"

Sharing my thoughts, not complaining. The logical thing for me to do is to pick it up down the road sometime if it turns out good, that's all.

jlscool

The only thing I don't like about the rabbids is their whiny, squeeky, shouting voice. That would be amazing though if it was using the UbiArt engine.

We've had the Sonic and Mario crossover already.

Aye I know what you mean, I'd like a proper platformer sometime.

Honestly Mario and Sonic's platforming mechanics are just too different from each other to work in the same game. That's why I'd prefer the idea of a Mario & Sonic RPG.

I'm interested in that. I won't prejudge it just because of Rabbids

If this open the doors for an Rayman appaearance on Smash Bros..... oh boy, it would be awesome.

But I thought Nintendo already has a Mario RPG series (Mario and Luigi) so they don't need more Mario RPGs (which led to the changes in the Paper Mario series)?

I liked it better when it was just a Yoshi and Rabbids crossover. I remember that idea floating around. I hate the Rabbids but I'll probably still check it out.

On a separate note, I think I've had my fill of leaks until the January event. I don't want there to be no surprises left. :(

L Thammy

List of Ubisoft franchises that I'd like to see have Nintendo crossovers

Prince of Persia
Red Steel (1 not included)
Buck Bumble (Does Ubisoft own that?)​

How do I replace Rabbits with one of these?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't mind Rabbids, I do mind Ubi Soft. I was hoping they wouldn't be at the Switch launch. They've stank up 2 Nintendo console launches already. We really don't need a 3rd time.

ZombiU was the best Wii U launch game by a considerable distance.

AniHawk

if montpellier is behind this then there's nothing to fear.

i get that the rabbids have largely been used in a more mainstream fashion and in a lot of shovelware recently, but that doesn't mean this is going to be a bad game.

L Thammy

I mean... this barely rates a Pokemon X Nobunagas Ambition on the Bioware X Sonic RPG scale of odd crossovers

Well, I personally always wanted to see Pikachu burn Buddhist monks to death along with their families, so I'm glad that they took a step towards that.

oti

Banned
I don't mind Rabbids, I do mind Ubi Soft. I was hoping they wouldn't be at the Switch launch. They've stank up 2 Nintendo console launches already. We really don't need a 3rd time.

lol

Ubisoft is more important for Nintendo than ever. They hand Ubisoft their most valuable characters to make a game.

openrob

Well Ubisoft did develop Child of Light, another turn based RPG.

I mean, on one hand I worry Ubisoft won't support switch with their more well known 'mature' games which would give the Switch some credibility.

However on the other hand, this type of game seems like a perfect fit for a Nintendo Hybrid, and Nintendo could really carve out a unique identity.

If this is Montpellier, isn't that Ancel's studio? Shouldn't they be working on BG&E2?

Edit: nvm, Montpellier obviously does a lot more than Ancel games

Byvar

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the Rabbids' destruction of franchises (I'm an expert), but shame is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in the Mario franchise where you can become successful by being an asshole. Once the Rabbids screw a franchise over, they bring shame to it for years, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. Like Rayman Origins was.

What this means is the Nintendo and Rayman audiences, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids ever, nor will they purchase the Nintendo Switch. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated two entire markets with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Steiner

Banned
You know, whenever people talk about Nintendo going third party, it always seems so strange to me - the idea of Nintendo putting its games on other consoles. Its IPs are too sacred.

But this trend of letting other devs work with Nintendo's mascot, Mario himself, is even stranger. With Super Mario Run and now this crossover, we have DeNA and Ubi essentially making Mario games while Nintendo "oversees" the project. What's happening? Has this ever been done before? A non-internal team making a Mario game? I know it may only end up "featuring" Mario characters, but the report says it's being marketed as a Mario RPG of sorts, right? Wat.

Edit: Though the thought of an old school Mario RPG using the UbiArt engine makes me salivate.

SentryDown

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the Rabbids' destruction of franchises (I'm an expert), but shame is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in the Mario franchise where you can become successful by being an asshole. Once the Rabbids screw a franchise over, they bring shame to it for years, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. Like Rayman Origins was.

What this means is the Nintendo and Rayman audiences, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids ever, nor will they purchase the Nintendo Switch. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated two entire markets with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids or you can kiss your business goodbye.

What did I just read.

LordRaptor

But this trend of letting other devs work with Nintendo's mascot, Mario himself, is even stranger.

250px-DDR_Mario_Mix.jpg
250px-NBA_Street_V3_Cover.jpg

L Thammy

Has this ever been done before? A non-internal team making a Mario game?

Mario RPG? That was by Square.
Paper Mario? Intelligent Systems isn't owned by Nintendo.
Mario & Luigi? That's by AlphaDream.
Smash Bros? That was made by HAL Labs at first (which isn't owned by Nintendo) and more recently by Namco Bandai.

w0s

If this is the Mario game I'm going to be sad after being so excited for a mainline mario on launch.

AniHawk

Has this ever been done before? A non-internal team making a Mario game? I know it may only end up "featuring" Mario characters, but the report says it's being marketed as a Mario RPG of sorts, right? Wat.

all the time?: mario is missing, mario's time machine, mario teaches typing, mario golf, mario party, mario & luigi, paper mario, super mario rpg, mario hoops 3 on 3, mario tennis, etc

edit: damn i can't keep up with you kids.

KaneU

So since gameblog.fr came with this rumour in october together with some other stuff about NX, there might be a chance their other rumours about NX are also true?

That would bring Splinter Cell, Final Fantasy VIIr and Final Fantasy XV to the Nintendo Switch.

OMG, I am in love with this guy <3

Retro working on 3 games sounds unbelievable tho...

Nico_D

I love the anarchism of the rabbids. I'm curious, surprise me.

(I really liked Rabbids Go Home for Wii.)

I'm just still incredulous that I was JUST TALKING WITH PEOPLE LAST NIGHT about how little I believed in the Rabbids rumor.

I guess call my pasty ass Jon Snow, huh?

Zombi U was the best game on Wii U at launch, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was the best 3DS game on the NA 3DS launch . What are you talking about?

Fuck yes! Wife and I loved Rabbids Go Home so I'm happy to hear the series will get a cool crossover. Very curious if it'll be similar to the original Mario RPG mechanics.

Byvar

On a more serious note, I really don't see how this could work. The Rabbids audience isn't familiar with turn-based gameplay at all and the design/sounds of the Rabbids don't fit in the Mario universe at all, so unless they change that (which is unlikely) the art styles will really clash.
What would really be nice though is if they change both art styles for this. Something artsy, like Child of Light perhaps. Something with an atmosphere that isn't exactly the same as the hundreds of Mario titles we've already played. Sadly, that will never happen as art style and atmosphere are likely some of the many things dictated by Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom