• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: Ubisoft Developing Rabbids & Mario Crossover RPG For Switch Launch Day

Which Western Publisher x Nintendo collaboration are you most looking forward to?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Well, it's not an instant-sell to me on the premise. As much as I like the Mario RPGs I find the rabbids relentlessly annoying.Still, I won't write it off without actually seeing it first.

All I'll say for now is that Nabbit better be involved.

Deep down, in the depths of my soul I kinda like Rabbids so this is okay I guess?
A full Rayman/Mario Crossover would be neater (need that Globox) but hey if this shakes up the stock mushroom kingdom foes of Mario RPG titles then that's a win.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Fuck yes! Wife and I loved Rabbids Go Home so I'm happy to hear the series will get a cool crossover.

image.php

LordRaptor

the design/sounds of the Rabbids don't fit in the Mario universe at all, so unless they change that (which is unlikely) the art styles will really clash.

The rabbids look exactly like they are cheap plastic toys. An amiibo aesthetic would work perfectly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
and the design/sounds of the Rabbids don't fit in the Mario universe at all

Mario universe has become a kingdom of memes lately so the behaviour of Rabbids couldn't be more fitting. And the look of Rabbids would perfectly fit in a universe like the one in SM3DW.

OH SNAP.

I've been an advocate for Yoshi's Story X Rabbids for a few months now. This is the closest it's gonna get for starters.

Woohoo. I love Yoshi's Story always and forever.

Iced Arcade

So Nintendo is out sourcing the Mario IP.

Could be beneficial to both companies. strengthen ubi's rabbids, turn out more Mario games for nintendo.

Steiner

Banned
all the time?

Damn, I'm a filthy casual.

I guess this just seems different. Ubisoft is a *major* developer / publisher with whom the general public is very familiar, for better or for worse. Giving them the reins to develop a Mario RPG seems really odd.

the design/sounds of the Rabbids don't fit in the Mario universe at all, so unless they change that (which is unlikely) the art styles will really clash.

But that's the point, I think. Rabbits are invading Mario's world, so he's going to tear them down limb by limb, ear by ear.

Just like all the cliché world invading stuff but with a irritatingly funny way.

jonno394

So, did something like this happen?

Nintendo: "Hey guys, we really want third party games on Switch, we have never had the support there before, but we really think the Switch will be great and want you all onboard."

Third parties: "Our games don't sell on your consoles, only Nintendo games sell."

Nintendo: "Ok, how about you use our IP?"

Third Parties: "we're listening...."

Wonder what other third parties would be interested in using Nintendo IPs to bring games over, when usually they would have been put off due to the lack of success they've had before?

Schnozberry

Could be beneficial to both companies. strengthen ubi's rabbids, turn out more Mario games for nintendo.

Mario + Rabbids + RPG + Ubiart sounds pretty good to me. The only reason people are shitting on this is because it seems like they have extremely rigid boundaries set for these characters that in reality do not exist.

Maxinas

Wonder what other third parties would be interested in using Nintendo IPs to bring games over, when usually they would have been put off due to the lack of success they've had before?

Zelda x Skyrim, metroid x Halo, f-zero x RIDGEEEEEEEEE RAAAACCCCCEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No way any of things will ever happen, especially the metroid x halo one, but surprise me nintendo.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it several more times:

Have Bethesda make a bunch of official Nintendo themed mods for Skyrim Switch. Samus arm cannon staff is an easy one for instance.

bigmac996

I'd be down for a new Mario RPG but I can't stand the Rabbids. This crossover seems pretty baffling to me. Were the Rabbids still relevant?

Maybe this whole game is a ploy by Nintendo to get in Ubisoft's good books.

This sounds an awful lot like the fabled StarFox/Metroid crossover game that was rumored for years. I don't know what to believe :(

Rumored for years? The only person who ever claimed it was a thing was Paul Gale, AFAIK, who... well, let's just say LPVG and Laura are far more credible and leave it at that.

Kouriozan

Oooooh, that's why Ubisoft said they wanted less story in their games!
That's because they are making a Mario RPG! Gotta respect the traditions!

Sounds like a goofy premise. Now just give it some charm and I think it can be really successful. If it's anywhere near Color Splash writing I think people will love it.

Zubz

Banned
I'm still processing this... I could see a Rabbids game. I could see a Mario RPG after backlash against the last 4 (But this doesn't sound like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi). But I have no idea why they'd be paired together.

Ubi getting a decent licensing deal from Nintendo after being burned on the Wii Umakes sense.

Wait, I thought they burned Nintendo on that deal by delaying/breaking exclusivity on Rayman/barely acknowledging Watch_Dogs made it to the Wii U?

Yukinari

If the rabbids are treated like the shroobs from Partners in Time then i could see it working.

Also if it has actual RPG mechanics and a good battle system im all in that regardless if it has rabbids for not. Color Splash was such a chore to play that just presentation and good dialogue dont save it.

kunonabi

I don't see myself being buying a Ubisoft developed RPG especially one with the Rabbids since I can only tolerate them in small doses.

3D Mario is still the only reason I have to consider picking up a Switch.

Nintenleo

So, if the rumors are true, we're getting AT LAUNCH at least a new 3D Mario, Skyrim, an enhanced Splatoon and a MarioRPG x Rabbids?

Seriously, isn't it "too much"? How can this "odd" Ubi project have a chance with those titles coming out the same day? :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, if the rumors are true, we're getting AT LAUNCH at least a new 3D Mario, Skyrim, an enhanced Splatoon and a MarioRPG x Rabbids?

Seriously, isn't it "too much"? How can this "odd" Ubi project have a chance with those titles coming out the same day? :(

The Wii U launched with around 22 games.

MomoQca

It (and Pokemon Stars of course) will pave the way for future RPGs... Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Bravely, Final Fantasy, etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Beyond this, I think it's correct for Nintendo to do whatever it can to try and actually get Western third parties on board with a game that will sell in a time frame where that still matters.

Third parties are generally going to be making decisions about their future support within the first year of the system's life, and they'll want to see some success stories in order to actually support it.

Does a port of Skyrim really count as exciting? I don't see it selling that much. I think it's great if they're coming out with a few big titles at/close to launch when people are excited about playing games on their new system. You don't have to buy them all at once...

maxcriden

Which poster here originally made the Yoshi X Rabbids joke?!

OH SNAP.

I've been an advocate for Yoshi's Story X Rabbids for a few months now. This is the closest it's gonna get for starters.

Woohoo. I love Yoshi's Story always and forever.

Right! It was you. I thought it sounded strange and potentially enticing all along.

Linkhero1

If anything, it's too little. They need to launch with a bang, especially with Zelda rumored not to be a launch title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom