• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 999

jonjonaug

Is there any point to getting endings other than the
safe
and
true
endings? I got the
safe
ending on my first play through by sheer luck, and I'm not much for playing games over and over again if it isn't worth it, so if I can just use a guide and get the
true
ending, and that's all I need to see, I probably will.

Spoilers on how choices work, no story spoilers.

The Sub ending has a bit of additional backstory and 1-2 rooms you won't get on any other playthrough (depending on if you choose door 3 at the second door choice or not). Going through door 2 will always land you the sub ending, and you're forced to go through that door if you choose door 3 as your middle major choice.

Knife and Axe are just bad endings that you get for not doing prerequisites before going through doors 1 or 6. They don't add anything to the story and you won't miss out on much by not doing them. The Axe ending might be worth it because it's pretty hilarious, but the Knife ending is boring and since you've already cleared the Safe ending it'll just be holding skip for 20-30 minutes to see like two minutes of new stuff that you could look up on Youtube.

Keep in mind that the only three endings with a credits roll at the end are Sub, Safe, and True. Axe and Knife don't even get credits rolls, they're just "nah you fucked up, start over" sorts of affairs. Sub doesn't unlock anything, but there is stuff unique to it.

TheBear

I got halfway through 999 about two years ago and never went back to it. I have VLR waiting on my Vita to be played. Can I just skip 999 and go straight to VLR?

D-Man

Agreed with the other guys. If you're gonna play VLR, do yourself a favor and play 999 from beginning to end. Trust us on this one.

Reset

I don't think I really have time for that!

Then why are you asking if you should just continue on to VLR?
Playing VLR without getting at least the true and sub ending, is a stupid idea. You might as well not play VLR if time is such a huge constraint.

I got halfway through 999 about two years ago and never went back to it. I have VLR waiting on my Vita to be played. Can I just skip 999 and go straight to VLR?

dude

do not

I repeat

DO NOT play VLR if you haven't finished 999, it's just not worth it. If you don't have time, just don't play the series, honestly.

TheBear

I read somewhere that the sub ending, the safe ending and true ending should be enough to get on with VLR. Does that sound about right? I might just start it again with a guide because I struggled with some of the puzzles last time

EDIT: if I was to do it without a guide, is it possible to get the same ending twice in a row? I would be pissed if i spent all that time playing the game only to get the same ending twice

I read somewhere that the sub ending, the safe ending and true ending should be enough to get on with VLR. Does that sound about right? I might just start it again with a guide because I struggled with some of the puzzles last time

yeah, I'd say that you only need those endings, then just youtube the axe/knife endings, as those are short and not that important story wise.

If you're in a hurry, just use a guide, because you can and would probably get the same ending twice.

Go Sub, then Safe, and last true ending.

Reset

EDIT: if I was to do it without a guide, is it possible to get the same ending twice in a row? I would be pissed if i spent all that time playing the game only to get the same ending twice
Use this. It doesn't have any spoilers.
http://i.imgur.com/U37wCvQ.png

Get the Sub ending first, then safe(required to get the true ending), and then the true ending.

yeah, I'd say that you only need those endings, then just youtube the axe/knife endings, as those are short and not that important story wise.

If you're in a hurry, just use a guide, because you can and would probably get the same ending twice.

Go Sub, then Safe, and last true ending.

Yeah I agree. I got the sub ending on my first time through and just youtubed the other endings. Using a guide and youtube will save you a lot of time, Jimmy.

I'm always annoyed when I see people that have both wanting to skip the superior entry for the inferior one. Makes no goddamn sense.

Big Brett

I was searching this thread at 5 a.m. after staying up all night to finish the true ending. Let me just say that this games writing is absolutely stunning, and also I just need to air out that gfSDGHKFDSGKJTRHJGBITRESWHMKBGFDHBM!!!!!!!!

Ok, I just saw a lot of people saying that VLR shouldn't be played before 999. Considering I've spent the 1st hour already, I haven't noticed anything being unusual. Did I already cross the point of no return? I just got my first puzzle outside the elevator.

Jintor

Ok, I just saw a lot of people saying that VLR shouldn't be played before 999. Considering I've spent the 1st hour already, I haven't noticed anything being unusual. Did I already cross the point of no return? I just got my first puzzle outside the elevator.

no but they're gonna keep dropping stuff on ya. Go back now

Stop now! Go back!

I'm always annoyed when I see people that have both wanting to skip the superior entry for the inferior one. Makes no goddamn sense.

Perception that a more recent game on Vita/3DS has to be superior to an older one on DS. To be fair, with many other genres that assumption could at least have some foundation, but visual novels, like any narrative medium, don't work like that.

Actually, many people do that for narrative media as well ("I want to go see The Two Towers, can I skip Fellowship of the Ring?"), so I guess it's just the shine of new things or something. :/

dity

Next to Ghost Trick this had to have been my favourite DS game. Blew Phoenix Wright 3 absolutely out of the water.

However, I've not been able to muster the bother to play the second game. I've got it on Vita, but can never really get past the first room without eventually putting it down. I think it's because the puzzles feel cumbersome and slow with the 3D rooms. How does VLR compare 999? Should I push through that for the story alone? I mean I heard a third game is coming so I probably should right?

Soriku

Perception that a more recent game on Vita/3DS has to be superior to an older one on DS. To be fair, with many other genres that assumption could at least have some foundation, but visual novels, like any narrative medium, don't work like that.

Actually, many people do that for narrative media as well ("I want to go see The Two Towers, can I skip Fellowship of the Ring?"), so I guess it's just the shine of new things or something. :/

Time investment is a factor. Playing one game or watching one movie is easier than doing that for two or more.

Also I'm playing 999 myself right now. Got one ending so far. The writing is good though the puzzles are kinda meh. Still they're not a big hindrance. Also the descriptions for deaths in this game are sickening, yet also hilarious because they're so long lol.

Korigama

Next to Ghost Trick this had to have been my favourite DS game. Blew Phoenix Wright 3 absolutely out of the water.

However, I've not been able to muster the bother to play the second game. I've got it on Vita, but can never really get past the first room without eventually putting it down. I think it's because the puzzles feel cumbersome and slow with the 3D rooms. How does VLR compare 999? Should I push through that for the story alone? I mean I heard a third game is coming so I probably should right?
I'd say the story, cast, and setting/atmosphere are much better in 999 (inb4 avatar quote), and didn't care much for how much VLR scaled back on the horror and tension. Didn't find the Chromatic Doors gimmick anywhere near as interesting as the Digital Root theme from 999, either. That said, it is still worth playing to be up to speed for the third game, which picks up where VLR left off and is set to answer many of that game's many lingering questions.

I'd say the story, cast, and setting/atmosphere are much better in 999 (inb4 avatar quote), and didn't care much for how much VLR scaled back on the horror and tension. Didn't find the Chromatic Doors gimmick anywhere near as interesting as the Digital Root theme from 999, either. That said, it is still worth playing to be up to speed for the third game, which picks up where VLR left off and is set to answer many of that game's many lingering questions.

That's fair, but would you have preferred they just reuse digital roots? I certainly wouldn't have. I doubt there was anything Uchikoshi could've come up with that would have measured up to the digital root concept as far as a mechanism/reason for splitting the group in certain ways.

dity

Hm. I guess when I finally run out of things to play I'll have a crack at it then. Play it on the Vita TV instead, might make it better for me.

Griss

As always I'd like to chime in with the unpopular opinion that you don't need to play 999 before VLR, and in fact NOT playing it makes VLR better, as with the knowledge gained from 999 the story twists will become apparent far, far faster and will be much less mindblowing. What you lose are callbacks that aren't as important as having a 'fresh' experience, imo.

Seeing as VLR is superior in gameplay, setting, characters, dialogue, writing and overall story I'm not sure it's wise to gimp your experience of that one for 999 if you can't get into the first.

I didn't enjoy 999, dropped it, played VLR and had a phenomenal experience, went back to finish 999 and still didn't think it was great.

Narrative games are highly subjective. When asking others for advice recognise that your situation might dictate that you have a different experience to others, as I did. Do what feels right for you.

Do not under any circumstances skip VLR because you couldn't find time to play 999.

Korigama

That's fair, but would you have preferred they just reuse digital roots? I certainly wouldn't have. I doubt there was anything Uchikoshi could've come up with that would have measured up to the digital root concept as far as a mechanism/reason for splitting the group in certain ways.
I agree that I wouldn't have cared for him just recycling that for a new game. In fact, I was looking forward to seeing what the new mechanic would be in VLR and how it would work, so I admit that my disappointment with the new hook factored into being harsher on it. There's a good chance we still won't get something as interesting as 999's Digital Root focus in ZE3, but I am still hoping for an improvement over VLR's Chromatic Doors idea.

//ARCANUM

999 is chapter 1. VLR is chapter 2. End of story. Why would you just skip the first chapter in a book? Want another example? 999 is A New Hope. VLR is Empire Strikes Back. I can go on and on. Play 999. Period.

Seeing as VLR is superior in gameplay
Sure

nope

characters
nope

debatable

nope

and overall story
lmao no

Really the only thing that VLR is definitely better at is "gameplay" but pretty much everything else is better in 999. Normally I'm the kind of person who puts gameplay above all, but considering they're virtual novels and gameplay is incredibly minor in both, I easily give the nod to 999.

Griss

Sure

nope

nope

debatable

nope

lmao no

Really the only thing that VLR is definitely better at is "gameplay" but pretty much everything else is better in 999. Normally I'm the kind of person who puts gameplay above all, but considering they're virtual novels and gameplay is incredibly minor in both, I easily give the nod to 999.

Thank you for your invaluable rebuttal.

A quick overview of my thoughts: (Not really spoilers but you shouldn't read if you haven't played them)
999 had an sophomorically written narrator which VLR largely stripped. That alone resulted in a huge increase in writing quality. It had an cliched and uncharismatic romance at the heart of it and a bland villain with a stupid issue and motivation (prosopagnosia, really?). Characters like Clover and Seven were dull as ditchwater in it.

It was less humorous than VLR - largely due to a protagonist with less personality - and not anything as well paced. VLR, on the other hand didn't force you to play through the same sections again and again and again guessing as to what you had to do differently. VLR had a wider variety of settings, and the tension of being buried in an underground facility was far more oppressive than just being stuck on a boat. What's more, VLR delivered far more emotional gut punches than 999 did, and relied less on violent 'shock moments'.

999 had nothing as tense as the moments in VLR when you have to choose to ally or betray, tension born out of how well sketched out the character relationships are, and moments I agonised over for ages. It doesn't force its overall themes on you in dialogue that just doesn't fit the moment.

I could go on but it has been years and I'd have to replay both to really pick out moments that illuminate my points.

Korigama

In comparing overall story (SPOILERS for both 999 and VLR coming), I rather liked how 999
was ultimately a much more personal story, a rarity in gaming, though not necessarily for visual novels specifically
. With VLR, however,
they pretty much went full-blown MGS with the elements and overall scope, shifting the focus to being yet another save the world plot
, and I didn't care for it.

//ARCANUM

A quick overview of my thoughts: (Not really spoilers but you shouldn't read if you haven't played them)
999 had an sophomorically written narrator which VLR largely stripped. That alone resulted in a huge increase in writing quality. It had an cliched and uncharismatic romance at the heart of it and a bland villain with a stupid issue and motivation (prosopagnosia, really?). Characters like Clover and Seven were dull as ditchwater in it.

It was less humorous than VLR - largely due to a protagonist with less personality - and not anything as well paced. VLR, on the other hand didn't force you to play through the same sections again and again and again guessing as to what you had to do differently. VLR had a wider variety of settings, and the tension of being buried in an underground facility was far more oppressive than just being stuck on a boat. What's more, VLR delivered far more emotional gut punches than 999 did, and relied less on violent 'shock moments'.

999 had nothing as tense as the moments in VLR when you have to choose to ally or betray, tension born out of how well sketched out the character relationships are, and moments I agonised over for ages. It doesn't force its overall themes on you in dialogue that just doesn't fit the moment.

I could go on but it has been years and I'd have to replay both to really pick out moments that illuminate my points.

So you like VLR better for the reasons you listed. Fair. But you have to at least admit that VLR is chapter 2/part 2 of the story. How could you recommend someone ever skip the first part of a trilogy? Again - would you ever recommend someone who had never seen star wars to skip a new hope and jump to empire just because you like empire better?

dity

So you like VLR better for the reasons you listed. Fair. But you have to at least admit that VLR is chapter 2/part 2 of the story. How could you recommend someone ever skip the first part of a trilogy? Again - would you ever recommend someone who had never seen star wars to skip a new hope and jump to empire just because you like empire better?
Does it matter too much? People will recommend the games they like even if they're not the first part of a story. VLR isn't a direct sequel taking place right after 999 ends anyway. You can always go back to play 999 later for more insight.

Use this. It doesn't have any spoilers.
http://i.imgur.com/U37wCvQ.png

Get the Sub ending first, then safe(required to get the true ending), and then the true ending.

Just started this game recently, I'm right after the beginning, at door 4 and 5. So your saying that I should intentionally get (any?) sub ending first?

Does the game just automatically start my next playthrough? Is it essentially the same thing that I'm doing over, just towards a different goal?

Kind of confusing.

dity

Just started this game recently, I'm right after the beginning, at door 4 and 5. So your saying that I should intentionally get (any?) sub ending first?

Does the game just automatically start my next playthrough? Is it essentially the same thing that I'm doing over, just towards a different goal?

Kind of confusing.
IIRC you're locked out of the safe and true endings until you get all the sub endings.

Lusankya

You can always go back to play 999 later for more insight.

But VLR will spoil a big part of 999, so you probably won't enjoy it as much.
If you intend to play both games play them in the release order (that's true for everything actually).

vladdamad

Kind of confusing.

Just keep playing, get whatever ending you want first. Everything will make sense eventually. And remember, on subsequent playthroughs you will be able to skip text so things will go a lot faster in areas you've already done.

//ARCANUM

Does it matter too much? People will recommend the games they like even if they're not the first part of a story. VLR isn't a direct sequel taking place right after 999 ends anyway. You can always go back to play 999 later for more insight.

It absolutely matters. VLR is definitely part 2 of the trilogy and will feel even more so once ZE3 is out I'm sure.

Griss

In comparing overall story (SPOILERS for both 999 and VLR coming), I rather liked how 999
was ultimately a much more personal story, a rarity in gaming, though not necessarily for visual novels specifically
. With VLR, however,
they pretty much went full-blown MGS with the elements and overall scope, shifting the focus to being yet another save the world plot
, and I didn't care for it.

That's a very fair point, and I preferred VLR's take. That's exactly the kind of subjective reaction that puts people on other sides of this debate, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I just like people justifying reasons for their opinion, which you did there.

Also, (lol) I know you liked Akane and I frankly didn't, which would be another huge reason. Almost every VLR character hit home with me. I even preferred Clover in VLR, which is like slapping 999 fans in the face from my previous interactions with them.

Opinions are a beautiful thing.

See, I disagree with the idea that they're 'chapters'. 999 is a self-contained story that didn't need a sequel, not the start of a trilogy. While VLR builds off it, it is also absolutely a self-contained story. Some people thought it ended on a cliffhanger but that's not the way I experienced it at all - I thought that the story I was expecting was wrapped up well, and finished.

Now, I do expect the third game to require you to have played the first two. That much is true. But I think the first two totally work as standalones. Remember, I had forgotten most or all of what I played of 999 when I played VLR, and didn't feel like I missed out on anything at the time. That wouldn't be the case with Empire Strikes Back, which is a "...to be continued" scenario.

To give you another example, you could pick up the 2nd or 3rd Harry Potter books without reading any of the others and have a great time. Sometimes I suggest people start with the 3rd because the quality is so much higher. Beyond that, they rely too much on backstory and need to be experienced in order. But the first 3 are self-contained stories that people can pick up and put down on their own.

Exactly.

But VLR will spoil a big part of 999, so you probably won't enjoy it as much.
If you intend to play both games play them in the release order (that's true for everything actually).

While this is true, it's also true in reverse which is what 999 fans often fail to realise. Going into VLR with the knowledge of the existance of the
morphogenetic field
makes it a hugely different experience than if you have no idea what's going on.

But yes, the fates of certain characters (but not all) in 999 are pretty much spoiled by VLR. Of course, if VLR is your first you won't even recognise that you're supposed to know them, so it might not stick. (IIRC, I had no idea until I went back and played 999 that certain characters were who they were.)

Korigama

Kind of confusing.
There is only one of each kind of ending, but multiple ways to reach certain ones. For the sub ending, I'd say the best way to reach it would be to go through door 4, then door 3 once you get there (it will not only set you on the path to the sub ending automatically, but add more story that you wouldn't see along the way otherwise that will also provide context during the epilogue).

Personally, though, I'm not keen on recommending that people skip endings in this game, as minus the coffin ending (which is
a cliffhanger version of the true ending
), they all contribute toward the big picture in some way (one thing about VLR that I can admire, as doing so is impossible). Knife is probably the most underwhelming, but I would still recommend axe just for the experience.
That's a very fair point, and I preferred VLR's take. That's exactly the kind of subjective reaction that puts people on other sides of this debate, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I just like people justifying reasons for their opinion, which you did there.

Also, (lol) I know you liked Akane and I frankly didn't, which would be another huge reason. Almost every VLR character hit home with me. I even preferred Clover in VLR, which is like slapping 999 fans in the face from my previous interactions with them.

Opinions are a beautiful thing.
They certainly make for no shortage of interesting discussions with this series.

But yes, the less I get into what I thought about VLR Clover, the better I think.

dity

It absolutely matters. VLR is definitely part 2 of the trilogy and will feel even more so once ZE3 is out I'm sure.
Playing games absolutely in order might be important to you but this whole "you must play the games this way" stuff is a tad lame though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Playing games absolutely in order might be important to you but this whole "you must play the games this way" stuff is a tad lame though.

um, if you play VLR first, you will ruin the story of 999. And if you're ruining the story of a VN, you're kind of ruining the experience.

Hey, if you wanted to get into it, cool. I was just giving as good as was received in your original statement. You said it was better without saying why, I said it wasn't with the same.

(spoiler shit)
For my money, the scenario and writing were more tense and dreadful in the original. Uchikoshi has noted that Chunsoft forced him to change his writing for this game and to tame it down, and it's perfectly evident in VLR. While the romance at its heart was cliche, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The fact that the author turned this romance on its head by the end actually necessitated the cliche so that he could subvert it -- instead of them falling in love together, Akane completely uses Junpei and then bails on him in the end. Considering how many people yearn for Junpei and Akane to get together (a fact reinforced by its queried presence in the official "Answers" page and the fact that it's continued upon in VLR as a central theme and the reason for an entire character's backstory and tragedy, to say it's awful only serves to diminish that character in VLR as well.

Let's get into characters. You say Clover is "dull as ditchwater," and yet she was a fan favorite character, so much so that they forced her into VLR... where she was completely awful. Even if I were to say she was dull in 999, I'll take dull anyday over being terrible. Her character in VLR is only slightly less absurd than Alice, a "wink at the audience" moment from the end of the first game turned into a "real" character in the second. These characters, from their style of dress to their complete brainlessness, completely destroy their backstory as anything that can be taken seriously.

The villain in 999 is far more terrifying than in VLR as well. And while prosopagnosia might be rare, at least it's a real condition. I recall being forced to see the dumb Quark kid (a useless character if there ever was one) go suicidal all the time (and hear him go suicidal, even worse).

You say "stuck in an underground facility" is worse than being "stuck on a boat," but seem to forget the critical part: the boat is SINKING. You know that from the first moments in the game. It's literally life or death, whereas the building is at worst a long-term habitat prison (and a pretty massive one) in several endings. Considering that characters in the past actually seem to live there for long periods of time, it really doesn't seem as foreboding.

As far as Ally/Betray, there were a couple good moments there, but therein lies the downside of the quick nav system. You really don't feel any consequences because there are basically no wrong answers. I didn't agonize over them because I was going to be back at this spot almost instantaneously. It's somewhat akin to how quick-save ruins Bioware games. The mechanic infects the weight of the situation.

The biggest item is the twist. VLR isn't even in the same league as 999 when it comes to its central twist. 999's was immaculate, using the form of the system and the story presentation mechanics to provide a mind-blowing moment that reverberates throughout the epilogue. VLR's twist is not only lesser, it's less believable. We're really to believe this guy didn't realize he was 45 years older, with an eye patch, grey hair, bionic arms, etc. just because there wasn't a mirror around? Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense. It like we've gone straight from 999's Sixth Sense ending to The Happening's. Well, maybe not that bad, but in that direction.

Lastly, major points go to 999 for being a complete story. VLR leaves so many threads hanging that you feel robbed at its conclusion. If VLR had never happened, everyone would've been satisfied with 999 alone. But without the third game, which for a while looked like it would never come out, VLR would still be an incomplete game with an unbelievable plot twist.

I can't even fathom how anybody would like VLR over 999. I know, opinions, but it's just crazy talk to me.

edit:
I even preferred Clover in VLR
... what the fuck

J_Ark

VLR multi-branched story, with free branch roaming (without severe plot holes) and plenty of cliffhangers and OMG moments (with the difficulty of being a second part of a great game focused in its story) still blows my mind technically wise. Uchikoshi in God mode.

The only thing that I prefer 999 over VLR is the terror atmosphere and the experience or living Zero's Escape products for the first time (as a first-timer everything seems great).

Top Bottom