• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman Arkham Knight: Shut up and Drive (Spoilers)

Menitta

God bless the PSN E3 sale. I picked up Arkham Knight Premium Edition for $25. Super good deal. Every single piece of DLC is included, and there's a disgusting amount of DLC.

But enough about that! Let's talk about the game! I should preface this with I don't read Batman comics. I just play the Arkham games. So my surface knowledge of Batman applies.

Arkham Knight is the 3rd Arkham game I've played. I missed Asylum and I wish I hadn't but w/e. I'll play it eventually. Off the...bat...this is one of the prettiest game I've ever played. It is so visually impressive. The art style of the neon lights of Gotham are so appealing. The rain sets the mood perfectly much like the snow in Origins. I think I prefer the visuals in Origins more because of the snow and the fact that it was on Christmas eve and that's also a nice tone setter.

The combat is awesome but flawed. It's the same Arkham combat we know. I love the throw counters . They are incredibly satisfying. When you have segments with another partner like Catwoman, Nightwing, or Robin, the Chrono Trigger-style Dual Tech moves are so cool! More games need moves like this. What I don't like about the combat is the unblockables. You'll be in an animation and someone will try to attack you normally. During the counter animation, someone will charge up a grab and my mind constantly froze as to what to do and I'd just get hit. That was quite annoying. If a medic shows up, that guy becomes your highest priority because they not only revive guys, but they give them invincibility armor and makes any attack unblockable.

The stealth is the same as it's always been but this time there's multi-takedowns which are cool.

I hate the batmobile. There are so many moments where they shove me in the car and I just don't want to be in it. It's literally shut up and drive. The puzzles are terrible. Some of the worst puzzles in the entire series. The biggest problem is that it doesn't tell you you're supposed to start platforming with the fucking Batmobile or use the remote control with the batmobile.

As for the story, I liked it. I think I like it more than City's story because I don't think Hugo Strange is that good of a villain. He's just some guy. I like Scarecrow more than Strange, but at the 75% mark, I got so tired of him talking in poetry. The Arkham Knight is great. He's like Batman's Vergil in this story. His robotic design is awesome too. I wish you took out Scarecrow before taking out the Arkham Knight.

I hate it that the Joker is even in this story. I'm so sick of the Joker at this point, where I kinda hate the character now. Could they not write a story without him? Jeez. It does fit in with the ties to Jason Todd, but even then, it could've been just that one scene in the Batcave.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was worth the $25. However, in the end, I wish it was this game's engine and visuals, but with Arkham Origins' story and puzzles.
Also because Deathstroke's fight in that was amazing.
The batmobile adds nothing. I wish it was the Arkham equivalent to boats in Assassin's Creed, but it was not to be.

I'm definitely gonna go back and play the DLC campaigns.

I give it a 7/10.

Game was a bit of a disappointment to me honestly, considering how fantastic it looked before release and how strong the game started.

Chase17

Played through it after the sale too. Liked the game a lot. Liked the bat mobile for puzzles but not combat. Had to just YouTube the ending though since I wasn't about to go get all the riddle trophies. Story was pretty fun.

dmshaposv

I have yet to play this, but everytime I hear how Rocksteady shit the bed by forcing the batmobile on everyone - I decide not to bother.

Vehicular combat games are just not my thing.

diaspora

AK would have ranked higher as a game for me if:
  1. it had not been as pushy or allowed some flexibility with not using the batmobile
  2. wasn't shithouse on pc

I have yet to play this, but everytime I hear how Rocksteady shit the bed by forcing the batmobile on everyone - I decide not to bother.

Vehicular combat games are just not my thing.
I enjoyed most everything else except for the Batmobile, which might have been cool if used sparingly. Instead it just wore my resolve down over time. Never did finish it.

So if your heart is warning you against it for that reason I'd listen to it.

Maiorum

I love when you're just driving the batmobile - it feels fast and powerful, and it's pretty awesome when you're ejecting out of or diving into it.

Hate the tank and puzzle bits, though. They should have ripped those out and had more predator rooms.

-Lame story using Joker as a crutch yet again and underwhelming Arkham Knight reveal
-Generic open world design with repetitive side-quests
-The batmoble

I was really disappointed by this game and the series continuing to go downhill.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really liked the game, even though I had performance issues on PC. Amazingly detailed openworld game, and good story. Tank setions did not bother me, they provided nice break in pace from usual batmany stuff.

daftstar

Second favorite game of 2015 after Bloodborne. Presentation is unparalleled imo even to this day. The way everything you do is seamless plus no loading screens is a technical marvel. Enjoyed everything about the gameplay as well (yes even the Batmobile).

Story and boss encounters were the only weak aspects for me.

There is so much about it I love but it's brought down by all the Batmobile sections.

Not so much the racing, that was kinda fun tearing through the streets of Gotham. The tank sections got tiresome after a while. Everything else was top notch. A flawed masterpiece. In my opinion, the best free flow combat system of them all.

Sure the story was predictable to almost any comic book or Batman fan, but it felt like a fitting end to the Arkhamverse.

KDC720

The on-foot combat and stealth are the best in the series imo, game looks real pretty too.

The story overall is pretty weak despite the strong start. The Arkham Knight twist is blatantly obvious if you're familiar with Batman lore, and some of the games hardest hitting moments such as
Barbaras "death"
lose impact later on. I also disliked the inclusion of the Joker at first, but oddly enough he ended being the best written part of the game storywise.

Batmobile was hit and miss for me. I liked the traversal and puzzle solving, but the combat wore thin for me by the end. Still a good game overall, but I can't say its my favorite in the series.

Permanently A

Arkham Knight is like a perfectly seared medium rare steak except the waiter stops you every 5 minutes to force you to drink orange juice.

It's the best gameplay in the series, because it's time for a different approach to batman tbh.

Asylum was so quickly outclassed by its sequels that they need something new

AK would have ranked higher as a game for me if:
  1. it had not been as pushy or allowed some flexibility with not using the batmobile
  2. wasn't shithouse on pc

Would've been damn near perfect to me if not for those two issues. Hell, just cut back 50% of the batmobile stuff and I would've been happy.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Game was a let down, too much terrible car sections, Arkham Knight reveal was awful too.

Freeman76

Brilliant game. I think people who enjoyed the others and didn't like it are just burned out on the gameplay, since its purely an evolution of the series.

basefree

I really love this game. The visuals partly had something to do with it. They absolutely nailed the look and feel of the city, it just bled atmosphere at every corner. I skipped Origins so wasn't burnt out on the series' gameplay, so that probably helped too. Out of the rocksteady developed Batman games, this was probably my favourite. I even liked the vehicle. Tank combat not so much, but driving was pretty fun for me.

Staf

It's not terrible but the tank-mobile sections really wore out its welcome. 7/10. Arkham Asylum still reigns supreme.

Oneself

-Lame story using Joker as a crutch yet again and underwhelming Arkham Knight reveal
-Generic open world design with repetitive side-quests
-The batmoble

I was really disappointed by this game and the series continuing to go downhill.
I agree. The best and almost perfect Batman game for me is still Arkham Asylum. And Batman Returns on SNES. ;)

Menitta

Arkham Knight is like a perfectly seared medium rare steak except the waiter stops you every 5 minutes to force you to drink orange juice.

This is so accurate.

I got stuck on the Ace Chemicals part for over an hour because I didn't know I had to use the Batmobile!

Harmen

I tought the batmobile was a great way of connecting the open world with the base gameplay. In Origins and even City the open world didn't have a lot of purpose outside of connecting various levels and a few gameplay occasions. In Knight, I feel they used the open world a lot more, by having many larger environmental puzzles and many of the levels in open air. While I don't think it is better or worse, I think it brought something fresh to the formula. And the mechanics worked great. Furthermore, while definitely over the top, some of the Riddler challenges made some real creative use of the Batmobile. It reminded me of Zelda puzzles of the better kind at times actually.

Overall, I think it is a great game. And while the overall plot is not anything special, I think the whole
Joker in your head
thing made it way, way more better than the stories preceding it. I absolutely loved those
inner dialouges and struggles
and they were very frequent and sometimes pretty extensive at that. And the dialouge in those sections was great imo. Furthermore, while short, some of the DLC's were nice closures to storylines from the preceding titles.

The biggest dissapointment for me was the weak intro. The previous two Rocksteady titles had awesome intros hyping you up for the game, this one felt like it could use a lot more build up (maybe a section of Bruce walking around in normal Gotham, to actually experience what he is protecting, for example. The stakes just didn't feel as high as they could've been. Another thing that annoys me is the need to do all of those Riddler trophies for the full ending. Screw that, youtube it is.

Pimpbaa

The batmobile isn't so bad in it's normal mode. But there just way too much time spent in it's tank mode. And almost every boss battle is a tank battle. Overall I enjoyed Arkham City a lot more, and it's still my favorite in the series. Hell, I think I enjoyed Origins more (it at least had a much better battle against Deathstroke).

JoduanER2

The worst part of this game wasnt the overused batmobile but the Joker, horrible dialogue and there was no point him being there.

Also LTTP on this one. Thinking about picking it up as it's only £14. Feel like enough dust has settled and It's been a long time since I played City (never picked up Origins). Is it worth picking up?

Neifirst

OP, you need to go back and play Asylum. Still the pinnacle over the series to me since it doesn't do the open world Gotham thing.

ron_bato

OP, you need to go back and play Asylum. Still the pinnacle over the series to me since it doesn't do the open world Gotham thing.

This is how i feel. Loved asylum, still enjoyed all Arkham games after it, but asylum has a special place in my heart.

I enjoyed Arkham Knight a lot, and the bat mobile felt really good to drive and combat was good too. I wish it wasn't so overused though as it took away from what makes Arkham games shine for me, and that's the fluidity of the combat and stealth encounters and the variety of ways you can tackle different situations.

Still one of the best games of last year though

If they had removed the bat mobile turning into a tank it would have been amazing . Loved everything about the bat mobile except the tank stuff .

Tearing through streets chasing crims was amazing , so was dropping headfirst from a building and watching the car scream around a corner and catch you perfectly .

The camera especially was amazing with those transitions .

Mifec

The worst part for me was the horrible horrible story, on par with Hush and TDK:R in it's terribleness.

They just pummel you with the batmobile. They just pummel you with it. Use it to fight the riddler. Use it to find tree roots. Use it to fight thousands of drones. Use it to drive criminals to Gotham PD. Use it to disarm bombs. Use it for winch based platforming. They just went all in with the batmobile. Terrible.

Currently playing through this right now too. Very very pleasantly surprised. I had read so many reviews slamming the driving but I just don't understand the hate. The car controls really well and the gameplay based around it is easy enough so even the more annoying sections don't part that long. So much detail n the world. So much to see. I'm super in love with it right now and I don't want it to end.

The worst part for me was the horrible horrible story, on par with Hush and TDK:R in it's terribleness.
You best be trollin. TDKR Frank Miller comic is one of the best Batman things period.

But both of those are some of the better Batman comics?

I loved Arkham Knight. Pretty sure it was my GOTY last year. Enjoyed the cast of villains, the side missions were fun, Hamill killed it as always, and even the Batmobile wasn't as awful as I expected (there was just too much of it). By far the best in the series.

IMO the game needed less car tank and more indoor adventuring, even ace chemicals was mostly car and not indoor action.

That is the biggest issue for me and a huge design flaw

Falchion

This was definitely in my top 5 games for 2015 and I've since beaten it twice. I'm one of those people that loved the Batmobile and thought the game was better for its inclusion, it was just so satisfying to use and I didn't dislike the Riddler puzzles with it or the Cobra tanks.

They just pummel you with the batmobile. They just pummel you with it. Use it to fight the riddler. Use it to find tree roots. Use it to fight thousands of drones. Use it to drive criminals to Gotham PD. Use it to disarm bombs. Use it for winch based platforming. They just went all in with the batmobile. Terrible.

this. we got 3 very good / great batman games with no batmobile. is it any wonder that lots of series fans were disappointed with 'batmobile: arkham knight'? :) ...

Sephzilla

This game is easily better than Arkham City and I'm glad this ending didn't go completely fucking overboard with stupid twists like City's final act did.

This was definitely in my top 5 games for 2015 and I've since beaten it twice. I'm one of those people that loved the Batmobile and thought the game was better for its inclusion, it was just so satisfying to use and I didn't dislike the Riddler puzzles with it or the Cobra tanks.

I liked it and i think the game only suffered from over use of it. I don't think bosses fights should have been a fight between vehicles. It should be a tool for Batman.

EBreda

I really didn't think the Batmobile would ruin it for me after reading a ton of impressions on Gaf. No way it could be that bad, I thought.

Boy, was I wrong.

Like others have said, Batmobile driving is pretty okay. It's fast, controls are tight, you can transition to flying pretty smoothly, there's lot of traversal options.

But when the game forces you to climb yet another building with the damn car, sticking to walls and using cables, just to power up another gizmo, it simply lacks any sense. And platforming with a car should always be a no-go. It ruined the game for me.

Edit: plus the thank mobile sections. Awful.

Kinyou

The presentation of the game is pretty amazing.

I mean all those details for just getting some batmobile upgrade

https://youtu.be/aclCkJ2tE1s

In regard to graphics did Rocksteady do some pretty amazing stuff, and keep in mind that this was still Unreal Engine 3. Will be interesting where they will go from here.

Cetra

Just snagged this on a PSN sale. I want my 12 dollars back. That Batmobile is the absolute worst thing they've ever done to the series. The core gameplay is carried forward wonderfully, but Rocksteady's insistence that I drive this shitty as hell controls like overcooked vermicelli on a road of jello Batmobile just kills it for me. Should've changed the tagline for this one to "Be the Batmobile".

Top Bottom