• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Daredevil's Director Cut (you told me this was the good one, GAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Daredevil%2B%255B2003%255D.jpg

I feel like I've made a huge mistake.

After falling in love with The Avengers I decided to go on a superhero binge and wath whatever Marvel based movies I still had on my backlog. Daredevil was first, so I decided to give it a go and follow GAF's advice by picking the Director's Cut.

If that was the good one, I can't imagine how terrible it has to be the original version.

The camera work felt like something out of a 90's music video, visuals were cheap as hell (my god, that CG), Daredevil looked like a gay S/M fantasy and the entire plot was SO BAD I had to force myself to finish the movie. Now, I like Affleck and Garner (sue me), but I can't for the life of me figure out what the fuck where they doing besides rubbing nasties in their trailers. It is that bad. Mark Steven Johnson ought to be chased out of Hollywood and never allowed to return.

Pros:

-Colin Farrell hamming it out to the max (and probably coked out of his skull)
-Something tells me that Michael Clarke Duncan could have been a decent Kingpin in a proper Daredevil movie
8uckL.jpg

Cons:

-Daredevil being a moron, killing people left and right only to spare the Kingpin in the final confrontation.
-Elektra. I honestly don't know where to begin with the character. Surely the writers ran into the same problem.
-Bullseye. wut.
-For a character that's all about close combat, fights were the worst I've ever seen in a superhero flick. Absolutely horrendous. From camera work to choreography, everything sucked fiercefully.
-Evanescence.
-Whatever I didn't mention as a pro.

The saddest thing about the movie may be that Affleck is actually a HUGE fan of the character and apparently the original scrip was dark, powerful and aiming for an R rating, but Fox's Tom Rothman decided to shit all over the place and try to make a more commercial movie. Go fucking figure. Now that Marvel is rebooting the franchise I'd kind of like to see a new Daredevil film directed by Affleck...

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, the DC is still shit and still features tons of shitty contemporary "nu-metal"

I just can't see Daredevil working as a big budget blockbuster movie. The only way a film about this character could be even remotely decent is if it's less of an action film, and more of a psychological drama, interspersed with a few action scenes.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I loved the Director's cut, it was lighthearted, and really good for its time, sure watching this movie a decade later will no doubt have you underwhelmed, as Superhero Movies were more niche than they are today, and not much of a budget was allocated to their production, maybe a fraction.

I think the cast acted to the best of their abilities, I was also impressed with Colin.

Quick

Banned
I don't hate it, and I enjoyed it when it came out, but overall it was disappointing.

They could just adapt Frank Miller's Man Without Fear.

noah111

Still Alive
I recently watched this again, but i'm not sure if it was the directors cut or not. What were the differences, exactly?

DD was alright, they nailed some aspects but other parts felt totally shallow. Very interested to see how the reboot is approached. Also, mind blown;

daredevilpic.jpg

robert_downey_jr_and_jon_favreau__2.jpg

He has a knack for playing wannabe sidekicks. :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
The DC version is the one where Kingpin's knees are broken in the final fight, he lands on the knees and blood spills out?

I'm 90% sure that's the cut I saw in the theaters on release day in the US

I've never rented, viewed, or owned the DC

I watched DD when it came out in theatres.

I bought the blu ray directors cut on GAFs recommendation of it being good.
I snapped it in 4 because the thought of returning it to the store and having some other poor soul buying and watching it was too much for me to bear.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've seen the non DC version twice and yet remember absolutely NOTHING about it. Completely forgettable.

Mr. Sam

As much as I could mutter angrily about Garner and Affleck, the worst casting was saved for Ben Urich and Foggy Nelson. And to this day, I still hear Elektra's introduction as "I licked your nachos."

Oh Daredevil, what did they do to you? Hopefully the reboot will be better. Leagues better if it wants to do the characters justice.

he made Jeniifer garner pregnant and ruined Alias. Thats the only reason I need to hate the movie.

Alias season 3 is when the show started to suck, so yeah, pretty much around that time. :lol

I've only seen the theatrical version of Daredevil. This property might fare a bit better now in an age of edgier reboots. Of all scenes though, I was kind of embarrassed at the Elektra/Murdock schoolyard fight.

JdFoX187

Banned
Director's cut took out the ridiculous sex scene, added in some more violence and made the fight scenes a little more brutal and then added a subplot with Murdoch that tied into Kingpin. It's a much better film than the original cut. I liked it, but admittedly it had issues. I just need to know WHAT THE FUCK were they thinking with that fucking playground "fight?"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As much as I could mutter angrily about Garner and Affleck, the worst casting was saved for Ben Urich and Foggy Nelson. And to this day, I still hear Elektra's introduction as "I licked your nachos."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zrertgd4QTs#t=5s
Director's cut took out the ridiculous sex scene, added in some more violence and made the fight scenes a little more brutal and then added a subplot with Murdoch that tied into Kingpin. It's a much better film than the original cut. I liked it, but admittedly it had issues. I just need to know WHAT THE FUCK were they thinking with that fucking playground "fight?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_nnOcgElmMc#t=34s

noah111

Still Alive
I don't remember any sex scene, so I think I saw the right version..

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Only think I liked from the movie was Evanescence - Bring Me To Life

What a waste of cash. I felt bad for my mother who was expecting it to be good because someone at work told her it was awesome >_<

ReiGun

Watched it this morning. I thought Foggy and Bullseye were alright. That was about it. Jennifer Garner was absolutely terrible, and the fight scenes were a complete joke.

IrishNinja

DD is one of my favorites, and Born Again (or much of Bendis' run) would make a great movie for a lot less than they threw at this one.

fuck, it's even worse than i remember.

Michael Clarke Duncan almost made the film decent, but he didn't have enough screen time to save it.

never get why people say this: he wasn't the worst thing, but he wasn't great either...way too smiley. i kept thinking he wanted to fuck Matt, not kill him.

Alucard

Banned
I'm a Daredevil fanboy, and I liked this movie. They got a lot right about the character, and got the general spirit of the books...in parts. Some of the scenes were straight out of the comics, and looked beautiful on screen. Especially the stuff around the church at the start.

Daredevil_Vol_2_3.jpg

They got the Catholic school boy angle down, and his echolocation looked pretty neat. Also, Foggy Nelson was fun. The scene in the cafe with the mustard was genuinely funny. That said, a lot of stuff was pretty bad.

-the fight in the park. Super cheese.
-Daredevil cave? Sensory deprivation chamber? Huh?
-DD leaving his call sign for Urich. The character would never do that.
-Urich was not Urich.
-Colin Farrel...not sure if I liked him or despised him, despite his entrance being superb.

I know some people have a problem with DD killing a man at the start, but he did that in The Man Without Fear by Miller as well. Not exactly in the same way, but he was responsible for the death of someone. And him sparing the Kingpin showed growth. The phrase "I'm not the bad guy" showed his progression as a character from the beginning to the end.

Loved all of the origin bits at the start, too.

I still watch the movie from time to time. It has good and bad, but I think fans of the comic can find enough to latch onto for it all to be enjoyable. I never think a movie fully "sucks" or is fully "awesome." The answer usually lies somewhere in the middle. This goes for The Avengers too, which is not without its problems.

Alucard

Banned
DD is one of my favorites, and Born Again (or much of Bendis' run) would make a great movie for a lot less than they threw at this one.

fuck, it's even worse than i remember.

never get why people say this: he wasn't the worst thing, but he wasn't great either...way too smiley. i kept thinking he wanted to fuck Matt, not kill him.

Born Again would be great provided that they were able to handle the "Nuke" part of it correctly. Even in the comic, it feels tacked on at the end, and almost unnecessary. Plus, I think it wouldn't really fit in today. The guy saying "OUR BOYS! OUR BOYS! THEY TOOK OUR BOYS!" again and again would just feel cheesy.

They made most of the fights into CG fests when almost nothing in them required CG. Just some generic fight stunts and wires would have made far better looking film. The whole final battle is hilariously bad with the CG

MG310

The Director's Cut is a definite improvement over the theatrical version but still not great. I thought they completely nailed Bullseye killing Elektra except for that awfully cheesy looking jump Elektra did up to the rooftop.

Some of the differences are...

Elektra/Matt don't have sex

Coolio is not even in the theatrical cut - which cuts out 95 percent of the Matt Murdock lawyer scenes - completely unacceptable for a Daredevil movie. It also makes a lot of the remaining scenes with Kingpin's assistant pointless.

Kingpin doesn't beat one of his own men to death with a cane in the theatrical cut - which means he literally does nothing until the final fight to make himself look like a threat.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Who wouldn't fuck Ben Affleck?

IrishNinja

Born Again would be great provided that they were able to handle the "Nuke" part of it correctly. Even in the comic, it feels tacked on at the end, and almost unnecessary. Plus, I think it wouldn't really fit in today. The guy saying "OUR BOYS! OUR BOYS! THEY TOOK OUR BOYS!" again and again would just feel cheesy.

ah, good point - i always forget that goes down inside of that arc. yeah, i'd leave that out entirely.
i keep thinking bendis' arc would be great for TV, some bru's too - but if you had 1 arc as a movie, what would it be? fall of the kingpin might work, i love when matt takes over but that takes build-up.

Who wouldn't fuck Ben Affleck?

true.
i dont know if it was the costume or ben or what, but DD didnt really work for me. He was a solid Matt at times, though. his exchanges with Foggy were absolute highlights.

Platy

So OP ... going for the bizarre marvel movies like Dolph ludgren's Punisher, David Hasselhoff's Nick Fury and Howard the Duck ?

or even ...
Doctor_Strange_film.jpg

Theoricaly MiB is a bizarre Marvel movie ... but is not a bizarre movie.

Also, if you hated this movie, I fear for you when you watch Elektra =x
Hahah.

This is proof that people will say, "the directors version was better" about anything.

It IS better, but that don't make the movia a good movie =P

But I LOVE watching it for Colin Farrel alone ... dude looks like is having a walk in the park in this xD

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I fucking LOVE Howard the Duck. I'm dead serious. It's a shit movie, but I also think it has tons of charm. Same with OG Punisher.

That Dr. Strange movie though... I don't know, it looks like it may be a little too much for me.

I think the DD DC is really enjoyable, actually. The playground fight is complete dogshit though. That one thing brings the whole thing down quite a bit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I thought Ben was serviceable. It is not like he could do anything else. I certainly found Foggy Nelson much worse, although maybe it's just the way he was written.

SArcher

Banned
I just finished the Netflix TV series and I still like this film. The director's cut is in my opinion one of the better comic book movies that came out between 2000 and 2007. It's kind of campy, sure, but during those years most of them were campy (don't tell me the Raimiman movies weren't campy as hell).

kunonabi

Oh Daredevil, what did they do to you? Hopefully the reboot will be better. Leagues better if it wants to do the characters justice.

My theatre was similar and thought she said Elektra Nachos and we all burst out laughing. Nobody took her seriously after that. It wasn't until her dad introduced himself that we all went "oh, that's wait she was trying to say"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom