• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition aka Devil May Cry Bore Special Edition

brap

Banned
There's so much aliasing in this game it makes my eyes bleed. What the fuck do red orbs do anyway? Just buy health items and blue orbs? Why does everybody hate this game again? I'm on like chapter 8 with young twink Dante 1.5 and it's fun.

A.Romero

The reason a lot people didn't like it was the big amount of backtracking.

Personally stopped playing because the original PC port was giving me CTDs in an specific spot so I couldn't continue the game.

Belmonte

If you are in chapter 8 you just need to play a little bit and it will be clear.

The reason:
Prepare to play the same areas you already played and battle the same bosses.
Hate is a strong word. DMC4 has one of the greatest brawler action ever, by a long shot. But since they didn't had the proper budget, cuts had to be made. It is a great game.

Last edited:
There's so much aliasing in this game it makes my eyes bleed. What the fuck do red orbs do anyway? Just buy health items and blue orbs? Why does everybody hate this game again? I'm on like chapter 8 with young twink Dante 1.5 and it's fun.
Buzzwords, God you're such a Zoom Zoom.

Whitesnake

Banned
People hate it because it’s half a game. You play the first handful of missions as Nero, and then you play the same missions in reverse as Dante.

It was most likely budget or time constraints. It sucks, because DMC4 improved on DMC3’s combat by a mile, but as a game it’s pretty weak compared to every DMC except 2.

brap

Banned
Wait hold up. I know there's 20 chapters in the game and backtracking. The backtracking doesn't come from lady/trish/vergil? You only play 10 chapters as nero then 10 with dante which are basically the same missions?

Buzzwords, God you're such a Zoom Zoom.
There's 0 buzzwords in my post, zoomer.

Wait hold up. I know there's 20 chapters in the game and backtracking. The backtracking doesn't come from lady/trish/vergil? You only play 10 chapters as nero then 10 with dante which are basically the same missions?

There's 0 buzzwords in my post, zoomer.
Twink, Devil May Cry Bore. 2:messenger_beaming:
On topic, is this your 1st DMC game?

brap

Banned
Twink, Devil May Cry Bore. 2:messenger_beaming:
On topic, is this your 1st DMC game?
Bore is just some dumb meme people always put into LTTP threads now for some reason. Nero is like a younger twink version of Dante.
I played the first 3 and the one with Donte. Don't think I ever beat 1 though. Plan to grab the HD Collection on PS4 and the Donte Definitive Edition too.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I played up to about chapter 16 back on the 360 around its launch. I got sick of the backtracking. I really tried to push through but I just couldn't anymore.

That made me just hate the franchise and lose all interest in it. It used to be one of my favorite franchises along with Onimusha and Max Payne.

Grinchy

Banned
I only played it when it was new on PS3 and thought it was pretty good. The change in mechanics when you switch to Dante felt fresh enough that I didn't mind playing through the game as him.

If they had just made it a short ass game where you unlock the ability to play a 2nd time as Dante, I would have done so and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Diddy X

It was one of the few games last gen I could play for several hours, backtracking wasn't a big issue for me, when I think of it yeah it should have sucked playing the same thing again but gameplay was so great it made up for it, beating the same scenarios but now with Dante? Well that's great actually, let's do it lol

Last edited:
Not played it yet myself. I kinda let the series be after DMC3. From what I've seen it was mostly downhill from there.
sjobWjA.png

Shifty

Yeah red orbs are just for items because proud souls are the hot new skill currency. Lots of investment potential.

And oh look, more dumb shitposting from Rean no Kiseki Rean no Kiseki . Everyone wa shock.

I'm on like chapter 8 with young twink Dante 1.5 and it's fun.
You'll understand once you hit missions 12-18 :messenger_pensive:

More or less, yeah.

Lady and Trish get the same mission structure as Nero/Dante, and Vergil gets to solo the entire game because he's just that cool.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Personally, I love the game. DMC 1 and this one are my favorites. I never got a chance to fully play 3 yet so I cannot count that one.

DMC 1
DMC 4
DMC 5
DMC Remake
DMC 2

There is one part in DMC 4 that I don't like though and it is close to the end and can be RNG if you don't already know.

IKSTUGA

I'm really torn on 4. Mechanically it's superb, it's just that the level design is so bad. Too much repetition and too many confusing layouts. Final bosses are also super retarded (stone guy and mr. bubble). I'd currently rank the DMC games like this: 5 > 3 > DmC > 1 > 4 >>>>>>>>>>> 2

Shifty

That's really disappointing :messenger_pensive:
Yup, I was really hoping that they'd open it up with the special edition and allow each character to play the game in its entirety, but Capcom gonna Capcom.

Vergil is pretty rad though, if you're into that weeb iaido shit.

That dumbass dice puzzle thing? That shit took forever. Awful.
Exactly! Unless you know what number it needs to be on for it to go where you want it can be really annoying. Worst part of the game IMO.
There's a trick to that. If you buster it with Nero or shoot it with Dante, whichever face is currently pointing upward will be the one it lands on.

But even knowing that, it's still a time-wasting trash puzzle.

I'm really torn on 4. Mechanically it's superb, it's just that the level design is so bad.
Yep, that's a pretty good summation. Fantastic combat sandbox, and Bloody Palace gives you a nice dedicated place to dive into that, but the campaign and character split is disappointing.

brap

Banned
I german suplexed some robot angel thing. That was pretty cool.
Nero just got swallowed up by the tree vagina and I'm playing as Dante now. It's so much more fun as him. Nero seems so bland in comparison. It's like I was doing the same few moves over and over.

brap

Banned
Beat it with all characters once, beat all the secret missions, found all the blue orbs. Working through LDK with Vergil and Heaven or Hell with Nante. Not sure if I'll bother with bloody palace :pie_thinking:

Top Bottom