• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP FFVIII: The Aesthetic Fore-bearer to FFXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

I only really liked Rinoa, to a degree. The main cast was weak AF and I didn't care about the love story, I prefer Zidane/Dagger and Tidus/Yuna. Laguna/Julia were a better couple too.

The gameplay was fun though. Never minded Drawing all that much and I loved the focus on spamming limits.

The world and its political setting is the thing I enjoyed the most about FF VIII. It's why, despite not being a big fan of the entire game (it's a wonderful game, just personally and subjectively it began to lose me), adore the first 10-20 hours or so.

In contrast, it's also VII's largest flaw for me in otherwise my favorite (or so) FF. Though as you sort of alluded, it's somewhat forgivable for technical reasons, but I felt even FF VI had more believable scope its world and its politics. VI had border stations, ports, numerous towns, camps, different regions, and in general felt fleshed out.

VII felt like it was essentially just Shin-ra Corporation and no other real entity (political, corporate, or otherwise) really existed. Shin-ra was superbly fleshed out with reactors, ports, bases, etc but the game world lacked enough presence of anyone else (or even evidence there previously was before Shin-ra now controlled their territory). I never liked how it essentially just had one city and everything else was just small supportive outskirts. In VI and VIII, you get a much better sense of their being multiple entities with cities, regions, infrastructure, etc.

Combined with the general two main themes of VII's early story -- the nostalgia of being a student in school again and the general theme of learning, getting graded; and the cool military special-ops missions involving infrastructure or logistics -- it's why I adore the first third or so of VIII.

And actually, your main point is sort aligns with why I am interested in FF XV. It's sort of a mix of FF XII and FF VIII. Part of it is just the raw world gameplay and exploration reminds me of XII's, which I love. But you're right about the world and politics. Some of the logistical things like gas stations or having to set up camp, or the infrastructure story elements such as that night infiltration of the army base with the mechs a la Metal Gear.

It reminds me sort of a mix of XII's gameplay but VIII's early world and missions.

To be fair, Shinra has two cities :p. But yeah, there's just so much infrastructure being shown off in VIII that gives it a more lived in feel. I also kind of wish the Galbadia/Esthar Cold War was played up more, though we get glimpses of the fighting in the Laguna flashbacks.

XV doesn't really have XII's gameplay, it's more of a Kingdom Hearts ARPG sort of deal.

XV doesn't really have XII's gameplay, it's more of a Kingdom Hearts ARPG sort of deal.
Oh, for sure... I was just thinking about the sort of similar focus on world exploration (the sort of 'journey' being a big part of each with a lot of open world expanse to cover and get through) and travel, combined with both games have team members customizable by AI (read a translation from Tabata that called the XV AI a "similar idea" to Gambits but more more like AI "logic patterns"). Not the same but similar type of appeal to me at least.

END OF DISC ONE THOUGHTS

Well, there really was only about an hour or so of gameplay between the OP and the end of the disc, but it does feel good to hit a certain benchmark. some random thoughts:

-I dunno how I feel about Rinoa yet. She seems like she should be more assertive than Yuna, but she's come off as a bit weak so far. There's also a bit childishness to her too, which is a little weird (I liked her shooing animation towards her dad though).

-Seifer is another character I don't know what to make of. I know he's a romantic who yearns to be a chivalrous knight, but Edea is so obviously evil. I know Edea influences people, but I think it's pretty cheap to handwave weird character decisions with 'oh he was just brainwashed'.

-Is the SeeD teams incompetence supposed to be funny or making a point about them still being kids fundamentally? I honestly don't know. There's the aforementioned incident of Quistis leaving her post, and then Irvine just loses it under pressure. Shouldn't the Garden have vetted this before hand? I almost wish Squall yanked the rifle from Irvine and took the shot himself.

-Drawing is sort of like mining planets in ME2; it's not, by any reasonable definition, 'fun', but there's such a compulsively cathartic aspect to it I often can't stop stocking them until none will fit anymore. Now to see how good Cura and Dispel are as Junctioning Fodder..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Too bad any character can be anything, making customization a matter of which models and random text prompts you want to look at once you're allowed to choose a party. GFs get old quick and the benefits of the junction system mean the magic system is completely useless in comparison.

And this isn't a complaint with most other FF's? The only one I can think of that doesn't fall under that "clone" complaint is FF6, but that's because each character IS a class. The other FF's have you learn skills or jobs and you can have the other characters do that if you want. What makes those any different than Junctions?

Limit breaks only happen when a character is low in health and you only changed weapons a few times with a great deal of effort.

Or you use Aura, which you can get from drawing (at a few spots from enemies) or card game refining. In fact, the Card Game fucking breaks the game at low levels if you get good and refine a bunch of powerful cards for items to refine into spells/weapons/items that you can then refine further.

END OF DISC ONE THOUGHTS

Well, there really was only about an hour or so of gameplay between the OP and the end of the disc, but it does feel good to hit a certain benchmark. some random thoughts:

-I dunno how I feel about Rinoa yet. She seems like she should be more assertive than Yuna, but she's come off as a bit weak so far. There's also a bit childishness to her too, which is a little weird (I liked her shooing animation towards her dad though).

She's a civilian that thinks she can be a mercenary like Squall. This will be beaten over your head as the game progresses. Keep playing.

-Seifer is another character I don't know what to make of. I know he's a romantic who yearns to be a chivalrous knight, but Edea is so obviously evil. I know Edea influences people, but I think it's pretty cheap to handwave weird character decisions with 'oh he was just brainwashed'.

I could spoiler this, but I'll say "keep playing, it's slightly explained."

-Is the SeeD teams incompetence supposed to be funny or making a point about them still being kids fundamentally? I honestly don't know. There's the aforementioned incident of Quistis leaving her post, and then Irvine just loses it under pressure. Shouldn't the Garden have vetted this before hand? I almost wish Squall yanked the rifle from Irvine and took the shot himself.

SeeD isn't really meant to be a huge army. I know that sounds weird especially when you hit Disc 2 or 3's
Garden vs Garden
but Balamb (and Tribia) are just mercenary forces that were trained to deal with sorcerers and not really the G-army.

-Drawing is sort of like mining planets in ME2; it's not, by any reasonable definition, 'fun', but there's such a compulsively cathartic aspect to it I often can't stop stocking them until none will fit anymore. Now to see how good Cura and Dispel are as Junctioning Fodder..

Do the card game and refining, seriously. Once you get the air-ship, then draw from the Islands closest to Heaven/Hell, but use the card game to get spells and things much faster. The only time you should be actively using "draw" is during Boss battles for the GF's. Which reminds me: There's certain GF's that AREN'T part of the boss-drawing bit. You do side-quests for them. If you haven't used the lamp
Diablos
is one, for instance. There's like 4-5 others that go that route as well.

Man, I know she's mesmerizing the crowd and all, but Edea's speech is so fucking dumb. IMO, it'd work much better if Deling introduced her, outlining how "With the power of the Sorceress behind us we will finally crush the vile Estharians!" only for her to take the stage and be something like: "My poor sheep, you who years passed begged for our blood, who then turned your swords against each other, I have returned for you. I forgive you for casting aside your yoke, for following your cruel petty tyrants; I will restore the proper order of things..."

I mean, I know Ultamecia is supposed to be the ultimate Megalomaniac, but I think they would've been better to couch it in terms you could see someone actually rationalizing. Unless her point is to prove Squall's previous point about there being no good and evil wrong; and even if that were the case it's still just kind of dumb.

Deling doing that sort of speech would be weird given
Esthar basically withdrew from the entire world after the Sorceress Wars were cease fired. Like 17 years later, hardly ANYONE Squall and crew's age knows of Esthar

rafa

Neo Member
The best FF.
Where the character customization is insane and limit breaks are raining from the sky.

Lionheart and lvl 100 disc 1 baby

Also drawing non required.

Also best card game in the series.

First reply knows what's up. FFVIII is my favorite FF by a mile.

She's a civilian that thinks she can be a mercenary like Squall. This will be beaten over your head as the game progresses. Keep playing.

I mean I sort of get that's what they're going for, it just makes her seem weak imo. She so far not been as endearing as Tifa or Aerith, or say Dagger and Freya.

SeeD isn't really meant to be a huge army. I know that sounds weird especially when you hit Disc 2 or 3's
Garden vs Garden
but Balamb (and Tribia) are just mercenary forces that were trained to deal with sorcerers and not really the G-army.

That's not really what I'm talking about, they did fine in Dollet. I'm talking about Quistis abandoning her post-midmission and Irvine getting coldfeet right before taking the shot. SeeD are supposed to be elite special forces units, but in the Edea assassination they act flagrantly unprofessional.

Deling doing that sort of speech would be weird given
Esthar basically withdrew from the entire world after the Sorceress Wars were cease fired. Like 17 years later, hardly ANYONE Squall and crew's age knows of Esthar

This is mostly fanwank on might part, but I like to think that Deling justifies Galbadia's imperialism by claiming there needs to be a united front against the Estharian menace, even though no one has heard anything out of there for nearly 20 years. I see it as a sort of a 'we are always at war with Eastasia' type deal, creating an atmosphere of fear and patriotism that helps justify his military regime.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For those who care: reminder that Spoony, who made the infamous FFVIII review, ended up coming around on FFVIII, at least partially. He prolly still hates it but at the beginning of his FFXIII review he said it was no longer his least favorite or even his second least favorite.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

For those who care: reminder that Spoony, who made the infamous FFVIII review, ended up coming around on FFVIII, at least partially. He prolly still hates it but at the beginning of his FFXIII review he said it was no longer his least favorite or even his second least favorite.

I think that's probably mainly due to him having to replay X and XIII (I'm pretty confident in saying I'll end up liking X more than VIII, but who knows).

The best FF.
Where the character customization is insane and limit breaks are raining from the sky.

Lionheart and lvl 100 disc 1 baby

Also drawing non required.

Also best card game in the series.
Lots of great things in this game. Though I like a lot of the places the story went--the dialogue and characters were hilariously bad at times

i liked his review of FFVIII, it is what got me to play the game. very funny! he's right, it's totally like a bad movie in places, but it's still a fun ride.

Jennipeg

END OF DISC ONE THOUGHTS

I think you've described Rinoa pretty well, she is a bit childish. You won't know the full reason for her issues with her father yet, and it's only hinted at later. But she is a rebellious teen who wants to prove something to her father. Her actions have got her mixed up in things that she isn't prepared for in any way. She gets a lot of hate, but I've always really liked her. Perhaps it helps that I was 13 when I first played this, so I clicked with her pretty well.

I can't say too much but yes Quistis is a dumbass in this section, but the Irvine thing is plot related and will be addressed in possibly the most divisive scene of the game. The cutscenes in this game are some of my favourites, Squall jumping off the clock tower and stealing a car that magically appeared, was pretty badass back in the day.

BEST MUSIC
BEST CHARACTERS
BEST SETTING
BEST MAGIC EFFECTS

COME AT ME YOU FF9 CHIBIS AND FF7 BLOCKHEADS

FFVIII still holds up. It's great. My favorite.

Mephala

Final Fantasy VIII 2 starring Laguna when?!
laguna_funny_moment_by_shiroiinari-d4pgxzq.jpg

As a kid I really wanted more Kiros in the game. I thought his character was pretty cool. Dem dual katars.

Also as a series fan this got me so damn excited.
sephiroth-vs-squall-o.gif

Opening cinematic for Dissidia. I mained Squall, combo'd all day.

END OF DISC ONE THOUGHTS

Just read through this thread and you're making some awesome write-ups. Very interested to see what you think of some of these characters as they evolve throughout the game, but I won't risk spoiling anything by highlighting some characters to watch.

The reason I find FF8 so interesting is for the time period of Square as a whole, and what they were trying to accomplish with their games at this point. Vagrant Story and FF8 were released at almost exactly the same time, and both embraced an incredible new direction for realism in proportions, a cinematic ambition with camera angles (just look at Liberi Fatali, the panning camera shots as you walk through Balamb Garden with Quistis during the intro, the merging of real time character models into CG cutscenes during the train mission with the Timber Owls, and similar cinematic camera angles throughout Vagrant Story), the cinematic musical scores, and a desire to be less "silly" and more gritty in their fantasy. A lot of it comes across as heavy-handed and overplayed, but it's the highlight of the golden years of Square, and gaming in general imo, when trying to be more like films is a new concept and sense of responsibility, rather than a sign of lack of interest in the strengths of the gaming medium as that goal is often seen today. A lot of people love FF9 for embracing everything that made the series popular in the past and being a tribute to that, but I respect FF8 a heck of a lot more for trying to look at what the future might hold for the series, and going balls out in an attempt to really drive the series forward. Of course a lot of it was hit and miss (that's the danger of moving things forward) and I have no doubt XV will face similar hurdles, but it earns a lot more respect from me for trying something completely new.

We often point to Uncharted 2's train scene as this amazing mix of cinematography and on rails gameplay, but I swear to god man, FF8 did most of what made that amazing, from a tech perspective, two generations earlier:

latest

Lynchian

Didn't like it as much as 6, 7, 9, 10 or 12.

An odd amalgamation of themes, characters, and mechanics that don't really work.
Whole game feels like a chore to go through.

I only really liked Rinoa, to a degree.

She's by FAR my least favourite character, and I feel the second half of the game really suffers due to the increased focus on her (I know it was inevitable). She's presented as a spunky, different take on the traditional FF heroine but falls into the role of damsel far more frequently than anyone before her. By the fourth or fifth rescue attempt I just wanted her gone from the game.

END OF DISC ONE THOUGHTS[/B

There's actually a reason for Irvine's behaviour there. It's divisive (didn't bother me, but for a lot of people it's where the plot jumped the shark), but it's there.

Did you ever know, that I had mine on you

Best FF vocal song, TBH.

Jennipeg

She's by FAR my least favourite character, and I feel the second half of the game really suffers due to the increased focus on her (I know it was inevitable). She's presented as a spunky, different take on the traditional FF heroine but falls into the role of damsel far more frequently than anyone before her. By the fourth or fifth rescue attempt I just wanted her gone from the game.

There's actually a reason for Irvine's behaviour there. It's divisive (didn't bother me, but for a lot of people it's where the plot jumped the shark), but it's there.

Best FF vocal song, TBH.

I know what you mean about the rescuing, it did happen too many times, but in fairness it was only her fault twice
End of disk 1, was her trying to be useful and failing miserably, and Disk 3, walking off alone only to be grabbed by Seifer and thrown to Adele, that one bugged me. Taking her to Esther, and everything connected to her possession was not her fault and thinking about it, that section of Disk 3 is my favourite part of the game.

Re: Irvine, I don't mind that reason, but I love
the time loop, those particular people were chosen because Squall appeared to Edea in the past, and told her about SeeD, she created Garden and she and Cid knew that Squall and co had to be there to fulfil the time loop

Necron

FF personal ranking:

9>6>7>8>12>13>10

Overall, this would be my ranking as well. There are some really massive faults about FF VIII. The biggest complaint being the awful writing. However, I do find the world design really interesting and is the main reason why I kept playing. I'm glad we're getting a similar aesthetic with FF XV but let's just hope that the writing is a lot better than VIII or its predecessor XIII.

Actually, there's something I'd forgotten I should really have mentioned; VIII drops VII's obsession with having dozens of half-baked minigames (Sorry Golden Saucer/Icicle Inn fans), and to me is so much better for it. I think the only thing close to a minigame so far was the stuff involved with the attempted kidnapping of Deling? At any rate, it's something that stands out as better than FFVII to me.

Relatedly, although I know a lot of people have affection for the 'lego minifig' overworld models from FFVII, to me FFVIII's models aren't just 'better looking' (though I still think they look pretty good especially given the time), they also just allow for more articulation and therefore expression. Not that the FFVII models weren't, in there own way, expressive, but I feel the Event planners of this game were given a wider pallet to work with.

I can't say too much but yes Quistis is a dumbass in this section, but the Irvine thing is plot related and will be addressed in possibly the most divisive scene of the game. The cutscenes in this game are some of my favourites, Squall jumping off the clock tower and stealing a car that magically appeared, was pretty badass back in the day.

I like a lot of the stuff about how it cuts between in-engine cutscenes to FMVs; the Edea execution even had a neat bit where Irvine and Squall were rushing around the parade which was a composite of the FMV.

That's really my fear tbh. I was kind of hoping for an Aerith in Yuna's clothing, but so far she's been portrayed as weak/foolish in a way that makes it obvious to me that Squall is meant to 'save' her, which, following Tifa saving Cloud in FFVII, feels like an odd step backward.

There's actually a reason for Irvine's behaviour there. It's divisive (didn't bother me, but for a lot of people it's where the plot jumped the shark), but it's there..

It's not really the fact that he choked that I take a problem with, it's that this wasn't somehow vetted by SeeD beforehand.

Jennipeg

That's really my fear tbh. I was kind of hoping for an Aerith in Yuna's clothing, but so far she's been portrayed as weak/foolish in a way that makes it obvious to me that Squall is meant to 'save' her, which, following Tifa saving Cloud in FFVII, feels like an odd step backward.

You could say Rinoa saves Squall emotionally though. That's no easy thing either.

It's not really the fact that he choked that I take a problem with, it's that this wasn't somehow vetted by SeeD beforehand

You'll have resolution to that. That part at least wasn't a result of incompetence.

I'm enjoying your write up's as you go through, I wish I could play if for the first time again. It's my favourite game despite it's flaws.

Meliora

I actually really like Rinoa too. She is childish, spoiled and very impulsive, but I think that's great because a lot of people are like that. She has realistic flaws (not that all her actions are realistic, but it is a FF game). She too changes throughout the game. Rinoa is also stubborn and stronger than the rest of them when it comes to emotional stuff. Probably because she had a more normal childhood. A big point in this game is that
it doesn't matter how capable you are and how strong you are physically, you wont make it alone in the end. So Rinoa definitely saves Squall.

Also, Irvine isn't a SeeD yet, he's from Galbadia Garden and the SeeD exam can only be taken at Balamb Garden, which is why Selphie transfers there. This probably makes it all sound even more unprofessional, but there's a reason why these 6 get together. Some call it fate, some call it
Cid

Jennipeg

I actually really like Rinoa too. She is childish, spoiled and very impulsive, but I think that's great because a lot of people are like that. She has realistic flaws (not that all her actions are realistic, but it is a FF game). She too changes throughout the game. Rinoa is also stubborn and stronger than the rest of them when it comes to emotional stuff. Probably because she had a more normal childhood. A big point in this game is that
it doesn't matter how capable you are and how strong you are physically, you wont make it alone in the end. So Rinoa definitely saves Squall.

Also, Irvine isn't a SeeD yet, he's from Galbadia Garden and the SeeD exam can only be taken at Balamb Garden, which is why Selphie transfers there. This probably makes it all sound even more unprofessional, but there's a reason why these 6 get together. Some call it fate, some call it
Cid

I think the interesting thing about her background is
Julia's death, how old was Rinoa when her mother died? It seems like she was spoiled in terms of money. But she really needed her father through a traumatic time in her life, and he wasn't there, or he couldn't take care of her emotionally anymore.

Either way she was a kid who lot her mum, and couldn't deal with her dad. She's probably f*cked up herself in some ways, and pretty lonely. Which led to her actions in the game, and her longing to be part of the group.

Meliora

I think the interesting thing about her background is
Julia's death, how old was Rinoa when her mother died? It seems like she was spoiled in terms of money. But she really needed her father through a traumatic time in her life, and he wasn't there, or he couldn't take care of her emotionally anymore.

Either way she was a kid who lot her mum, and couldn't deal with her dad. She's probably f*cked up herself in some ways, and pretty lonely. Which led to her actions in the game, and her longing to be part of the group.

Oh she definitely had problems growing up too, but still a far more 'normal' upbringing than the SeeDs (except sort of Zell I guess), who are basically child mercaneries. Can't be good:p Like what kinda of training have they gone through to be prepared to kill at the age of 17, or even younger in Quistis' case. So while I'm sure Rinoa struggles with things, I also think she is a lot better prepared at dealing with it. She
remembers it for one thing
and she isn't afraid to talk about her feelings and what is bothering her. She isn't closed off like the rest.

Jennipeg

Oh she definitely had problems growing up too, but still a far more 'normal' upbringing than the SeeDs (except sort of Zell I guess), who are basically child mercaneries. Can't be good:p Like what kinda of training have they gone through to be prepared to kill at the age of 17, or even younger in Quistis' case. So while I'm sure Rinoa struggles with things, I also think she is a lot better prepared at dealing with it. She
remembers it for one thing
and she isn't afraid to talk about her feelings and what is bothering her. She isn't closed off like the rest.

Yeah I agree, she had a more traditional childhood, her problems are more relatable to us as well. I think that's why I like her, despite her bratty behaviour, I just 'get' it. Whereas the upbringing of the others is actually disturbing when you really think about it. It makes sense that Rinoa is the most equipped to deal with her feelings. Maybe that's part of the reason people don't like Rinoa, her 'normal' behaviour could seem out of place in the world of Squall and co. Especially when it actively causes problems for them, she could be seen as getting in the way.

Now I'm thinking of a hypothetical dub casting of FF8 (ignoring that some of them are already cast in Dissidia and KH for a moment). Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

Squall: Yuri Lowenthal
Rinoa: Michelle Ruff
Quistis: Tara Platt
Laguna: Nolan North
Selphie: Erin Fitzgerald
Zell: Sam Reigal
Seifer: Travis Willingham or Johnny Yong Bosch, I could see them going with either a higher or lower register with him.
Irvine: Troy Baker
Edea: Laura Bailey

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I love this game so much. Really can't think of a title with more heart than this.

What strikes me most about FFVIII is that of all FF games, despite the war theme, the world is generally shown in a benevolent, optimistic, light.

Wow so many people in here saying it's their favorite... I am in what must be the final handful of hours in the game and it's been so long because I'm having a hard time convincing my self to finish it. The draw and junction mechanics are so bad and honestly I think it has the worst cast of characters in a FF I've played since VI. Squall Rinoa and Zell are fine, but that's it.

When playing it I was way more interested in Laguna and his story then anything else.

jett

D-Member
first ff i hated.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I def didn't like it, and by the time I reached the final dungeon I was so fed up I used a gameshark code to breeze through the rest of the game just to watch the ending. I don't remember what was it about it I didn't like, I only played FF8 the one time back when it came out. Guessing the characters and story were it. Only thing I really I remember about the game is the stupid-ass orphanage twist LOL.

Guess I could try the PC version one day. But I doubt I ever will. :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Only thing I really I remember about the game is the stupid-ass orphanage twist LOL.

Never got people's problem with this. I mean, junctioning and GF's generally is pretty fantasical in the first place, that they also cause
amnesia
doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me!

Of course Rinoa is flawed during disc one 💀 The whole point of a character arc is to show growth. The meat and potatos aren't until you get really deep into the sorceress stuff.

xion4360

FFVIII is to me what FFVII seems to be for a lot of people.. the first one I played and really sticks to me like glue for apparently the rest of my life.

Aeana

Now I'm thinking of a hypothetical dub casting of FF8 (ignoring that some of them are already cast in Dissidia and KH for a moment). Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

Squall: Yuri Lowenthal
Rinoa: Michelle Ruff
Quistis: Tara Platt
Laguna: Nolan North
Selphie: Erin Fitzgerald
Zell: Sam Reigal
Seifer: Travis Willingham or Johnny Yong Bosch, I could see them going with either a higher or lower register with him.
Irvine: Troy Baker
Edea: Laura Bailey

Seifer isn't supposed to be a whiny piece of garbage, JYB can't do the job.

Hystzen

Pretty sure Squall is most OP MC for ps1 FFs. Not sure was bugged or not but Squalls accuracy is 100% even while blind you can't just pull trigger. His lion heart attack and weapon is ridiculous damage and his stats can be increased if keep low level to get GF stay boosting skills. The dude wrecks shit solo even without the yellow and smashing circle to get limit trick.

Also pretty insane in Dissida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom